Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Qb for next year/QB class of 2021 (merge)

stitches

6 minutes ago, Smoke317 said:

If Jacoby could take a less talented team to 7-9, I think Fields could come in and win 9 games.  I could even see him pull a Luck and go 10-6 and get us to the dance if our running game clicks like I think it would.  Plus TY’s effectiveness on the deep balls return.  Stretching the field and creating more lanes for Taylor & Hines.

that's certainly the optimal scenario, but I'd expect things to go less smoothly than that, especially in Fields' Year One

then again, looking at the 2021 Titans, Jags and Texans, even w/ a rookie QB the Colts ought to be able to win 4, if not 5, of those 6 games next fall--not sure about the rest of their schedule

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, poilucelt said:

seriousy doubt it IN 2021 based on what I saw from Fields this season, but given the division the Colts are in, who knows?

if nothing else, his mobility could make left tackle somewhat less urgent than it would be with, for example, Stafford, and allow Ballard to look for a promising edge rusher, wr or cb in Round 2 (if he still has that pick)

What I saw from Fields was a guy that had to miss games and weeks of valuable practice time this season.  Yet somehow managed to lead his team to the National Championship Game.  Oh and his statistics suffered for it (sarcasm) he only completed 70% of his throws and finished 10th in the nation in QB rating.  Sounds like a guy that gets it done more often than not.  And in his worst career game (vs IU) he still completed 60% of his throws for like 270 yards &  2TD’s & ran for another 70 and another TD.  And they still won because he never stopped competing despite his off day.

1 minute ago, Smoke317 said:

What I saw from Fields was a guy that had to miss games and weeks of valuable practice time this season.  Yet somehow managed to lead his team to the National Championship Game.  Oh and his statistics suffered for it (sarcasm) he only completed 70% of his throws and finished 10th in the nation in QB rating.  Sounds like a guy that gets it done more often than not.  And in his worst career game (vs IU) he still completed 60% of his throws for like 270 yards &  2TD’s & ran for another 70 and another TD.  And they still won because he never stopped competing despite his off day.

again, that's the optimal description of what he did---I saw all that, and I also saw a guy who's not yet ready to go all the way through his progressions at the NFL level, and doesn't yet have great pocket awareness, but those can be fixed w/ such a great athlete

I just don't think they'll be fixed immediately, in his first season in the league

4 minutes ago, Smoke317 said:

Are you related to him?

8 minutes ago, Smoke317 said:

Fields played for a stacked Ohio State team. He’s good but let’s settle down with the Andrew Luck comparison. Fields isn’t coming into the NFL next year and winning 10 games. Not gonna happen.

Irsay practically spelled it out - Colts are going to acquire a QB. Add a WR/TE and an Edge rusher. There is enough talent on the team to win a Super Bowl next year.. you can’t waste a year with a rookie QB. And Eason, even with all the hype he’s getting on this board, isn’t the guy either. He’s fighting for the backup spot against somebody who isn’t even on the roster yet. 

1 minute ago, poilucelt said:

again, that's the optimal description of what he did---I saw all that, and I also saw a guy who's not yet ready to go all the way through his progressions at the NFL level, and doesn't yet have great pocket awareness, but those can be fixed w/ such a great athlete

I just don't think they'll be fixed immediately, in his first season in the league

Yeah he had 2 YOLO balls that were UGLY.  Hideous.  Definitely gotta clean that up.  And I don’t know if any of the guys that will be drafted will be ready to go through all their progressions next year.  They all struggled with getting past their 2nd read against tougher defenses.  Many proven vets still have problems with that when the heat is on.  Our OLine and running game would be a great benefit to any young QB.

2 minutes ago, TheNextGM said:

Fields played for a stacked Ohio State team. He’s good but let’s settle down with the Andrew Luck comparison. Fields isn’t coming into the NFL next year and winning 10 games. Not gonna happen.

Irsay practically spelled it out - Colts are going to acquire a QB. Add a WR/TE and an Edge rusher. There is enough talent on the team to win a Super Bowl next year.. you can’t waste a year with a rookie QB. And Eason, even with all the neeneed a LT ype he’s getting on this board, isn’t the guy either. He’s fighting for the backup spot against somebody who isn’t even on the roster yet. 

Umm....we need a LT too

6 minutes ago, jskinnz said:

Are you related to him?

Yes. I’m his agent’s cousins brother.  If he gets taken before we can get him then strike that.  Then I’m Wilson’s PR’s guys cousins uncle.  Either way I want one of those guys on the Colts next year. 

8 minutes ago, TheNextGM said:

Irsay practically spelled it out - Colts are going to acquire a QB. Add a WR/TE and an Edge rusher. There is enough talent on the team to win a Super Bowl next year.. you can’t waste a year with a rookie QB. And Eason, even with all the hype he’s getting on this board, isn’t the guy either. He’s fighting for the backup spot against somebody who isn’t even on the roster yet. 

Unlike Luck, you’re not adding Fields to a team picking 1st overall.  You’d be adding him to a team that had a league leading 6 All Pros last season.  That number doesn’t include Smith, Hines, Moore (Potentially still TY, Houston, & Rhodes). Definitely includes Pittman, Blackmon, & Campbell.  I could see him coming in and doing what Russ or RG3 did their rookie years (since you dislike my Luck comparison).  He’s that good of a prospect in my eyes.  Just as good as Lawrence. 

Couple things.

1. I keep seeing Ballard wont hear the end of it, if SF gets Stafford for the rumored deal. No one here knows what we have offered if anything. Our 1st and other picks could be on the table. As I said earlier in the thread, this could just be Detroit is sending Stafford to his preferred destination. Nothing more, nothing less.

2. I keep hearing this narrative that Ballard pushed Rivers out the door? No one knows that either. Just a bunch of people trying to play connect the dots. Rivers sounded like a guy that was going to hang it up after the Bills game, and that is what he did. Everyone just wanted to assume it means something else, which it's not very likely IMO. He retired because he wanted to, not because the timing coincided with Stafford asking for trade.

There are a lot of assumptions going on. A lot of people are just quick to want to jump on Ballard? Not sure why, but I guess if that's what makes you happy, have at it.

8 minutes ago, Smoke317 said:

Yeah he had 2 YOLO balls that were UGLY.  Hideous.  Definitely gotta clean that up.  And I don’t know if any of the guys that will be drafted will be ready to go through all their progressions next year.  They all struggled with getting past their 2nd read against tougher defenses.  Many proven vets still have problems with that when the heat is on.  Our OLine and running game would be a great benefit to any young QB.

other than maybe Lawrence, I think you're probably right--for example, Wilson did a better job than Fields going through his progressions and seeing the field, but he also wasn't facing B1G 10 defenses either

agree that Colts' OL and RBs would definitely benefit any rookie QB and, in the case of Fields, his mobility would also help the Colts' OL, especially if they can't replace Castonzo via free agency (T Williams? A Villanueva? C Robinson?)

4 minutes ago, Smoke317 said:

Unlike Luck, you’re not adding Fields to a team picking 1st overall.  You’d be adding him to a team that had a league leading 6 All Pros last season.  That number doesn’t include Smith, Hines, Moore (Potentially still TY, Houston, & Rhodes). Definitely includes Pittman, Blackmon, & Campbell.  I could see him coming in and doing what Russ or RG3 did their rookie years (since you dislike my Luck comparison).  He’s that good of a prospect in my eyes.  Just as good as Lawrence. 

Just as good as Lawrence? Not even close. he’s not even the consensus number two QB in the draft.

The reasons you listed are the exact reason you don’t start a rookie QB.. 6 All-Pros, guys like Pittman and Taylor ready to take the next step. You’d be wasting a year of Leonard and Nelson and Taylor and Blackmon.. a rookie QB isn’t coming into this team, or any, and winning a Super Bowl next year. 

23 minutes ago, Smoke317 said:

All this from the guy who posted today that stats don’t lie.   I think you just proved......

Yes!   They!    Can!     :thmup:

Someone please post the Daniel Jeremiah interview from the Pat McAfee show today.  He still is leaning that it will be the Colts that acquire Stafford even with the 49'er talk.  He thinks the picks being mentioned are out there to try and get the Colts to sweeten the deal.  That's more like it!  We can only hope. 

2 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Someone please post the Daniel Jeremiah interview from the Pat McAfee show today.  He still is leaning that it will be the Colts that acquire Stafford even with the 49'er talk.  He thinks the picks being mentioned are out there to try and get the Colts to sweeten the deal.  That's more like it!  We can only hope. 

It was already posted here within last few pages.

I don't care for Fields but you might like this

@Smoke317

6 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Wasn't it Jeremiah who compared Lance to Luck?

31 minutes ago, TheNextGM said:

Just as good as Lawrence? Not even close. he’s not even the consensus number two QB in the draft.

The reasons you listed are the exact reason you don’t start a rookie QB.. 6 All-Pros, guys like Pittman and Taylor ready to take the next step. You’d be wasting a year of Leonard and Nelson and Taylor and Blackmon.. a rookie QB isn’t coming into this team, or any, and winning a Super Bowl next year. 

Wilson is as good as Lawerence

21 minutes ago, TheNextGM said:

Yes. Just as good as Lawrence.  The consensus sure pushed Fields down after he lit up Lawrence in the semifinals.  Strange.  I actually think they are very close. All the numbers say they are but why do you and the consensus see it differently?  I’ve been watching a lot of Lawrence, Fields, and Wilson’s games.  I saw a lot of screens and swing passes from Lawrence (1st read plays). I’d be shocked if those kind of throws didn’t make up 40-50% of his throws.  When he had to go down the field his accuracy tapered off a lot.  

I still like him as a prospect though.  He’s got toughness and he’s a great leader with 3 years of experience (his only advantage I see over Fields).  When placed in similar scenarios though (given the reins of a team & immediately take them to the national semifinals & finals) Fields accomplished what Lawrence has accomplished but actually was a more accurate passer while playing with similar or lower level talent.  I gotta check but I don’t think an OSU receiver was drafted last year.  

And Fields’ best weapon these past 2 years, Olave, I believe decided to go back to school because he most likely wasn’t getting drafted in the first 2 rounds.  So I don’t think he was playing with the all world talent like Burrow (Jefferson & Chase), Lawrence (Higgins), or Jones/Tua (Jeudy, Ruggs, Smith, & Waddle) were playing with. 

1 minute ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

Wilson will be the best QB out of this draft....mark it down.

I got him as 2nd best behind Fields.  I just worry about his durability. He’s had a shoulder surgery on his throwing arm.  We saw how that affected Luck & Cam.  How many hits from a 300 pound lineman landing on him is that shoulder gonna take?

1 minute ago, Smoke317 said:

I got him as 2nd best behind Fields.  I just worry about his durability. He’s had a shoulder surgery on his throwing arm.  We saw how that affected Luck & Cam.  How many hits from a 300 pound lineman landing on him is that shoulder gonna take?

Fair enough...like I said...time will tell

6 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

The best will be whoever the Colts select 

Keegan-Michael Key Lol GIF by HULU

They can't afford Stafford 

........trying to be optimistic here about Stafford but there is a BUNCH of smoke coming from every other team EXCEPT for the Colts. No news is good news right?

Archived