Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Frank Reich

danlhart87

I would like to start off by saying that I fully support Frank Reich.

Frank is a great coach but his biggest weakness is being unprepared. He needs to do a much better job at getting the Colts ready from the get go.

These slow starts arent gonna fly with the fast paced Os like Packers and so forth. 

What are your thoughts on Reich?

Do you like him?

Do you hate him?

What would you like to see different?

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply
42 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

Frank is a great coach but his biggest weakness is being unprepared. He needs to do a much better job at getting the Colts ready from the get go.

These slow starts arent gonna fly with the fast paced Os like Packers and so forth. 

Do you like him?

Do you hate him?

I hate him. He is basically Pagano with a little more football knowledge. He starts slow, is unprepared, is conservative, makes the team boring to watch, is uncreative, and is one of those old-school coaches that goes with the veteran more times than not. 

I want to see him use our players to their strengths. He does that with Rivers a bit, but no one else. Come up with a gameplan. Pass the ball, run the ball, get aggressive. Show the opponent you want to tear them apart. Consistently put up points, take risks. Blitz more often then you do, get pressure and turnovers. Don't favor the veterans because they are older, play the best players all the time. Look at the top teams like the Chiefs, Ravens, and 49ers. Get ideas that you can mix with your own playbook to make the team better.

Reich is not young. He is inexperienced as a coach, but he doesn't have the years some of the younger coaches have to learn. He should know more by now. That's why I'm so hard on him. I expect this from a 35-40 year old coach, not a 58 year old coach.

2 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I hate him. He is basically Pagano with a little more football knowledge. He starts slow, is unprepared, is conservative, makes the team boring to watch, is uncreative, and is one of those old-school coaches that goes with the veteran more times than not. 

I want to see him use our players to their strengths. He does that with Rivers a bit, but no one else. Come up with a gameplan. Pass the ball, run the ball, get aggressive. Show the opponent you want to tear them apart. Consistently put up points, take risks. Blitz more often then you do, get pressure and turnovers. Don't favor the veterans because they are older, play the best players all the time. Look at the top teams like the Chiefs, Ravens, and 49ers. Get ideas that you can mix with your own playbook to make the team better.

Reich is not young. He is inexperienced as a coach, but he doesn't have the years some of the younger coaches have to learn. He should know more by now. That's why I'm so hard on him. I expect this from a 35-40 year old coach, not a 58 year old coach.

I'm willing to be patient because I know the O will struggle with the injuries.

Reich needs to be more decisive and get them to play 60m. If Colts fall behind 21 to 0 again in future Rivers won't be able to catch up.

Just now, DougDew said:

He can't be creative.  He has no players to work with.  

The weakness at WR doesn't bother me at all. I know it frustrates people here but I honestly hope Ballard spends most of his time working on the trenches. 

OL and DL are a big strength since Ballard got here.

Reich needs to utilize everyone and game plan accordingly. 

4 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

So are you blaming Ballard for bad drafting? I don't think he's the one at fault here.

No.  Not every thread has to come back to a Ballard issue.

You mentioned the Chiefs, Ravens, 49ers.  Its a fact they have better players....and look how creative Reid and Harbaugh look.

2 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

The weakness at WR doesn't bother me at all. I know it frustrates people here but I honestly hope Ballard spends most of his time working on the trenches. 

OL and DL are a big strength since Ballard got here.

Reich needs to utilize everyone and game plan accordingly. 

Ok fine.  But Frank can't be creative with Olineman.  At least, there are big limitations there.

8 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Come up with a gameplan. Pass the ball, run the ball, get aggressive. Show the opponent you want to tear them apart. Consistently put up points, take risks. Blitz more often then you do, get pressure and turnovers.

:facepalm:

So when Reich goes for it on 4th and short, that's not aggressive enough for you?  That's not taking risks?

Just now, DougDew said:

You mentioned the Chiefs, Ravens, 49ers.  Its a fact they have better players....and look how creative Reid and Harbaugh look.

As good as Reid is I think having Mahomes really pushes the envelope cause he's so good.

Just now, DougDew said:

They may have better players, but they also have better coaches and more creative plays. We need to use utilize their plays in our playbook for our players. Our players may be more limited, but they can still be used to their strengths and that can be taken advantage of. Rotate them in and out with a deep playbook and we'd be much better off.

2 minutes ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

:facepalm:

So when Reich goes for it on 4th and short, that's not aggressive enough for you?  That's not taking risks?

Aggressive isn't always good. There's a such thing as taking the points when you're supposed too. Risks such as throwing it deep, all out blitzes, Jet sweeps with the WRs, wildcat plays. Everybody goes for it on 4th and short besides Adam Gase today.

3 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Aggressive isn't always good. There's a such thing as taking the points when you're supposed too. Risks such as throwing it deep, all out blitzes, Jet sweeps with the WRs, wildcat plays. Everybody goes for it on 4th and short besides Adam Gase today.

Thats depends on how successful you are. Clearly if everytime Reich went for it and got it then people would be calling him a genius.

7 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Other than the new guy, Harris, who exactly is Frank going to run a jet sweep with?  Pascal?  Doyle? 

Hines maybe, but that's about all Hines can do after 4 seasons here, so we've worn out that option when he lines up outside the tackles.

1 minute ago, danlhart87 said:

Thats depends on how successful you are. Clearly if everytime Reich went for it and got it then people would be calling him a genius.

That wouldn't happen to any coach though, and no coach would go for it every time anyway, so that is irrelevant. Sorry.

1 minute ago, DougDew said:

Other than the new guy, Harris, who exactly was Frank going to run a jet sweep with?  Pascal?  Doyle? 

Hines maybe, but that's about all Hines can do after 4 seasons here, so we've worn out that option when he lines up outside the tackles.

Do it with Harris, do it with Hines, do it with Campbell when he comes back. Heck, do it with Hilton occassionally. Be creative and mix things up. I don't even remember the last time we did a Jet sweep.

The one thing I’ve wondered about since he was hired, the run game. It was what Chargers fans warned about/why the FO let him go (at least according to their media).

Whether it be unimaginative/predictable runs, stubbornness, or an ill advised toss, there are times where I worry about his ground game play calling. Love his passing play calls (for the most part), especially when we had Luck. Tough to get things going with JB last year though.

Another one of my questions has been how much longer does he plan on coaching? I don’t have any real reason why, but I’ve always gotten the sense that he’ll only coach another 1-2 seasons. 

That said, I like Reich. I think he’s a top 15 coach and we’ve had Pagano on our sidelines, so it could be much worse.

1 minute ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Do it with Harris, do it with Hines, do it with Campbell when he comes back. Heck, do it with Hilton occassionally. Be creative and mix things up. I don't even remember the last time we did a Jet sweep.

I think Frank was being creative with Campbell, like maybe the first play of the season, then he got a boo boo.

10 minutes ago, Thebrashandthebold said:

I am not a big fan of Reich. I think he was way to conservative last year and I am not impressed with his coaching this year. I think he was big reason that Rivers was brought here and I think that was a big waste of money for a team not ready to make a Super Bowl run. 

Rivers wasn't the best but I would gladly take him over Brissett 

I dont mind Frank. I really dont want to be one of those teams that changes coaches every 3 years so im willing to give him some time to develop into a better coach.

It does bother me a bit that it is likely he played a big role in bringing Rivers here who is a turnover machine, im not a fan. 

There is also the question of how happy is Ballard with Frank, we all know he was choice #2

2 minutes ago, Nesjan3 said:

I dont mind Frank. I really dont want to be one of those teams that changes coaches every 3 years so im willing to give him some time to develop into a better coach.

It does bother me a bit that it is likely he played a big role in bringing Rivers here who is a turnover machine, im not a fan. 

There is also the question of how happy is Ballard with Frank, we all know he was choice #2

I'm glad #1 didn't happen

These threads are always interesting.

Reich is obviously a good dude...but as a HC...I am lukewarm. He has shown at times that he can scheme very well. Just look at how wide open Ebron was all of the time in 2018...OR how JB had open first reads early last year (especially against ATL and HOU).

But it's pretty inconsistent. Granted...he hasn't had Luck for the past 1.5 seasons...but one of Reich's biggest selling points was that he was the OC of a team that plugged in a backup QB and steamrolled through the playoffs and won a SB. I definitely haven't seen that level of offensive scheming.

And I am sure people will disagree...but as soon as Reich said he wanted to be a top 5 running team after the 2018 season...I started to get worried. The Colts were coming off a season where they had a top 10 offense (probably better than that if you throw out the early games) and were #1 in pace of play. The run game obviously did not hold them back in 2018...and they were a very fun team to watch.

But since making that comment after the 2018 season (that he has since doubled down on)...the Colts have been ranked 25th and 21st in passing offense (DVOA)...and their pace of play has gone from 1st to 14th to 26th this year.

If this is all because he lost Luck...fine...but what does that say about Reich? That he is just another offensive-minded coach who gets propped up by a good QB?

It just seems like there has been a very deliberate move into this ball control, run-first mindset...and it's very hard to say it's working. They have heavily invested in an OL (and will have to spend more than anyone else to keep it)...and the team is currently last in YPC. Part of the blame goes to the OL and the RBs...but it's also on the coaching staff.

On the flip side...they are 6th in adjusted sack rate...and are keeping a statue of a QB upright...yet they are 21st in passing offense. Again...some of that has to be on coaching or mindset. 

Given the OL they have...and that play in a dome...this team should be a fast-paced, high-scoring team...led by the passing offense. I know the WRs keep getting hurt...but a dome team (with a top 5 OL) that has a bottom 3rd passing offense is definitely an indictment on an offensive-minded HC. 

8 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

Reich is obviously a good dude...but as a HC...I am lukewarm. He has shown at times that he can scheme very well. Just look at how wide open Ebron was all of the time in 2018...OR how JB had open first reads early last year (especially against ATL and HOU).

But it's pretty inconsistent. Granted...he hasn't had Luck for the past 1.5 seasons...but one of Reich's biggest selling points was that he was the OC of a team that plugged in a backup QB and steamrolled through the playoffs and won a SB. I definitely haven't seen that level of offensive scheming.

And I am sure people will disagree...but as soon as Reich said he wanted to be a top 5 running team after the 2018 season...I started to get worried. The Colts were coming off a season where they had a top 10 offense (probably better than that if you throw out the early games) and were #1 in pace of play. The run game obviously did not hold them back in 2018...and they were a very fun team to watch.

But since making that comment after the 2018 season (that he has since doubled down on)...the Colts have been ranked 25th and 21st in passing offense (DVOA)...and their pace of play has gone from 1st to 14th to 26th this year.

If this is all because he lost Luck...fine...but what does that say about Reich? That he is just another offensive-minded coach who gets propped up by a good QB?

It just seems like there has been a very deliberate move into this ball control, run-first mindset...and it's very hard to say it's working. They have heavily invested in an OL (and will have to spend more than anyone else to keep it)...and the team is currently last in YPC. Part of the blame goes to the OL and the RBs...but it's also on the coaching staff.

On the flip side...they are 6th in adjusted sack rate...and are keeping a statue of a QB upright...yet they are 21st in passing offense. Again...some of that has to be on coaching or mindset. 

Given the OL they have...and that play in a dome...this team should be a fast-paced, high-scoring team...led by the passing offense. I know the WRs keep getting hurt...but a dome team (with a top 5 OL) that has a bottom 3rd passing offense is definitely an indictment on an offensive-minded HC. 

Well said!!! Very valid points.

2 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

You need to have the right players to get a top 5 passing game.  You need to have the right players to get a top 5 running game.  We have the latter, not the former, so its no wonder what Frank said he wanted.  He's not going to get a top 5 passing game with top 5 running game type players.

I think the regime sees that ball control will defeat KC.  Apparently, Gruden and Pitt and Clev have decided to try to match the firepower. BALT doesn't have a choice but to do ball control.  We'll see how this plays out.

2 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

If you hate him and feel like he isn’t a good coach. Who would you want. I think he is amazing and if you listen to national shows he is regularly listed as one of the best coaches in the NFL. 

9 minutes ago, BleedBlue4Shoe86 said:

If you hate him and feel like he isn’t a good coach. Who would you want. I think he is amazing and if you listen to national shows he is regularly listed as one of the best coaches in the NFL. 

Jon Gruden at the time was my dream coach. That's the type of coach I generally want. I also wanted McDaniels pretty bad, unfortunately that garbage happened to us. At this point, Jim Harbaugh is a guy I like. I don't know all the college coaches, but I'd prefer someone younger who is a great offensive mind like a Kliff Kingsbury or Sean Mcvay.

3 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Jon Gruden at the time was my dream coach. That's the type of coach I generally want. I also wanted McDaniels pretty bad, unfortunately that garbage happened to us. At this point, Jim Harbaugh is a guy I like. I don't know all the college coaches, but I'd prefer someone younger who is a great offensive mind like a Kliff Kingsbury or Sean Mcvay.

Kliff went to HS where I'm at now so I find myself a fan of his 

16 minutes ago, DougDew said:

You need to have the right players to get a top 5 passing game.  You need to have the right players to get a top 5 running game.  We have the latter, not the former, so its no wonder what Frank said he wanted.  He's not going to get a top 5 passing game with top 5 running game type players.

I think the regime sees that ball control will defeat KC.  Apparently, Gruden and Pitt and Clev have decided to try to match the firepower. BALT doesn't have a choice but to do ball control.  We'll see how this plays out.

The goal should always be to stay balanced because some of the best teams historically defensively have been much better vs the run than the pass in the Ravens and Steelers. That is why the Patriots of last year failed. Lamar Jackson exploited them because their secondary was built to deal with the Chiefs. Then the Titans showed them in the playoffs. You cannot build your team just to beat one marquee team because the NFL evolves enough that it is another big dog every year you have to get past.

On offense and defense, you have to build a team good enough to play any style of defense and offense correspondingly. If Frank said that due to the roster deficiencies, then that goes back to Ballard again, which is what you are pointing your observation to.  

15 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I will say that I think Frank is a great coach.  Look at what he and the Colts in general have had to endure in his first 2 1/2 years:

Unprecedented injuries to WR.  Look at the some of the names he has worked with:

Ryan Grant

Dontrelle Inman

Chester Rogers

Ashton Dulin

Marcus Johnson- has shown potential

Reece Fountain

Zach Pascal- has looked great

Demichael Harris

Also, I thought about this earlier this week.  He has had 3 different starting QBS in 3 years:

Andrew Luck- Retired at 29.  One of the most shocking retirements in recent history

Jacoby Brissett

Philip Rivers

I"m just saying.  To go 21-17 in 2 years and 6 games is pretty impressive.

40 minutes ago, chad72 said:

The goal should always be to stay balanced because some of the best teams historically defensively have been much better vs the run than the pass in the Ravens and Steelers. That is why the Patriots of last year failed. Lamar Jackson exploited them because their secondary was built to deal with the Chiefs. Then the Titans showed them in the playoffs. You cannot build your team just to beat one marquee team because the NFL evolves enough that it is another big dog every year you have to get past.

On offense and defense, you have to build a team good enough to play any style of defense and offense correspondingly. If Frank said that due to the roster deficiencies, then that goes back to Ballard again, which is what you are pointing your observation to.  

Its not a blame.  It understanding there is a cohesive philosophy.  There is the here and now, and then there is where we want to be.

My point is that over the course of the past two seasons. there have been rumblings about Reich not being a great HC, notably pointing to play calling.  In that context, the comments are usually in the environment of Reich not being the offensive mind we thought, not being a good play caller, no innovation.  As if its a deficiency on his part, that he wishes he could call better plays, but just can't see them due to some blindness.  And some blindness is holding us back from where we should be.

I think he calls the plays by choice.  I think he wants to be conservative.  I think he feels that's the best chance for the team to succeed, and those are the best plays to call given the talents of the players he has to work with at the moment.  To the extent Ballard is in this conversation, I think Ballard agrees. There is no tension, no different look.

I don't think that calling different plays will succeed.  I don't think having another play caller...unless its someone on the team....is going to work any better.

You can call for Hines on a jet sweep, but it will probably get the same two yards as calling Hines up the middle....because that's who we are right now and Reich (or Ballard) can't really change that at the moment.

KC plays a much different style than BALT.  Tenn plays different than both.  They don't have the ability to change up how they win when their primary system isn't working.  Only NE could do that.

I keep coming back to the fact that we hired him because we were scrambling to find a coach after McDaniels stuck it to us.  I don't believe anyone interviewed him that year for a HC position including us on our first go around.  That tells me he was not high on the list that Ballard keeps updating in his desk drawer.  To me he's been okay.  Sort of middle of the road.  Not sure he can get us a SB.  He knows Ballard is his boss and calls the shots.  Ballard gets him the players.  He needs to win with them.   To me this is a big year for him.  He has a veteran QB he knows and whom he is very comfortable with.  The rest of the team is solid and has improved every year.  There is an extra playoff team this year.  I think he needs to make the playoffs.  If he doesn't I think he could be in trouble.  We all like Frank but he has to make the playoffs to keep his job IMO.  If I were Ballard a five hundred season doesn't cut it.  

37 minutes ago, BleedBlue4Shoe86 said:

I will say that I think Frank is a great coach.  Look at what he and the Colts in general have had to endure in his first 2 1/2 years:

Unprecedented injuries to WR.  Look at the some of the names he has worked with:

Ryan Grant

Dontrelle Inman

Chester Rogers

Ashton Dulin

Reece Fountain

Demichael Harris

Also, I thought about this earlier this week.  He has had 3 different starting QBS in 3 years:

Andrew Luck- Retired at 29.  One of the most shocking retirements in recent history

Jacoby Brissett

Philip Rivers

Very well put. 

54 minutes ago, BleedBlue4Shoe86 said:

Ryan Grant

Dontrelle Inman

Chester Rogers

Ashton Dulin

Reece Fountain

Demichael Harris

Jacoby Brissett

Philip Rivers

I don't doubt he's had some bad luck. So did Pagano. And Pagano had a far worse GM, and far worse talent and depth. In 4 years with Luck healthy Pagano was 41 and 23 with 3 playoff appearances, 2 AFCS titles. He just ran into NE at their peak.

Comparing Pagano 2016 with Reich 2018, both with Luck, both coaches were 10-6. Look at our skill players in 2016 lol. And folks complained about that in 2018. 

In short, bad luck doesn't make you a good coach. Bad luck will get you a pass though.

Jury is still out. Both good and bad. 

I love Ballad as the GM. I like Frank as the HC. But Frank’s offensive play calling (pun intended) has become too predictable. I Feel like I can tell when he’s going to call for a run play 90% of

the time. And to my chagrin, I’m usually right. Maybe it’s time to set up the run game with more play action and with a faster tempo game plan. Something needs to change. I’ve got my fingers crossed that the Bye week will have given Frank better insight and ideas on how to unlock the Offense from

his self imposed handcuffs. 

1 hour ago, Hoose said:

I love Ballad as the GM. I like Frank as the HC. But Frank’s offensive play calling (pun intended) has become too predictable. I Feel like I can tell when he’s going to call for a run play 90% of

the time. And to my chagrin, I’m usually right. Maybe it’s time to set up the run game with more play action and with a faster tempo game plan. Something needs to change. I’ve got my fingers crossed that the Bye week will have given Frank better insight and ideas on how to unlock the Offense from

his self imposed handcuffs. 

I would like to think Pittman will help

6 hours ago, danlhart87 said:

Do you like him?

Do you hate him?

I'm ok with him.  He's not been proving that he's this offensive genius everyone made him out to be.  That said, he's better than Pagano by a long shot and the guys do seem to play hard for him. I'd like to see him let Rivers run full no huddle, from start to finish and mix it up.

Archived