Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Gameday Start Time

Chrisaaron1023

I was thinking about my plans for Sunday and realized the past weeks couple weeks have been different for me. With our 3rd straight 4PM start time coming up this week, I was thinking, what time do you guys prefer? 

As a teen I HATED the 4PM games because I always had to go BACK to church for 6 and miss the end of the game, I'd rather miss the beginning if I had to. To me, I think I still prefer Sunday night. Less distractions (from the little ones, and other games)

I hate 4 pm games.  That said, its not affecting me like it used too.  I'm not watching this year, only listening via radio and catching what i can on the app.  My father in law has dinner every sunday at 5 pm so I can't watch even if I wanted to. 

14 minutes ago, Chrisaaron1023 said:

I was thinking about my plans for Sunday and realized the past weeks couple weeks have been different for me. With our 3rd straight 4PM start time coming up this week, I was thinking, what time do you guys prefer? 

As a teen I HATED the 4PM games because I always had to go BACK to church for 6 and miss the end of the game, I'd rather miss the beginning if I had to. To me, I think I still prefer Sunday night. Less distractions (from the little ones, and other games)

8 minutes ago, csmopar said:

I hate 4 pm games.  That said, its not affecting me like it used too.  I'm not watching this year, only listening via radio and catching what i can on the app.  My father in law has dinner every sunday at 5 pm so I can't watch even if I wanted to. 

You guys know this isnt 1980 right? There are so many ways to record or watch a game on catchup. I havent watched a Colts games "Live" regularly for years. Granted i live in the UK so the only games i reasonably can watch are the 1pm kick offs, which start at 6pm here, but i get them on game pass and can watch them with no commercials.

My parents do the same thing who live out in Colorado, just record the game and then watch it later and skip past the commercials. You just need to not look at your phone updates or the internet for a few hours. It's not that hard.

1 minute ago, Chucklez said:

You guys know this isnt 1980 right? There are so many ways to record or watch a game on catchup. I havent watched a Colts games "Live" regularly for years. Granted i live in the UK so the only games i reasonably can watch are the 1pm kick offs, which start at 6pm here, but i get them on game pass and can watch them with no commercials.

My parents do the same thing who live out in Colorado, just record the game and then watch it later and skip past the commercials. You just need to not look at your phone updates or the internet for a few hours. It's not that hard.

While true, I prefer the radio. It's free, portable and the announcers are WAY better.

2 minutes ago, csmopar said:

While true, I prefer the radio. It's free, portable and the announcers are WAY better.

Sucks this isnt a possiblity for you in the states because of broadcast licensing rules probably, but i can watch the game on Gamepass and change the audio commentary to the radio commentary. So i get best of both worlds. 

I gotta pay for it, but in reality it costs £145 or so for the year, which equates to about $187 or so. For that i get all preseason games, regular season games, i get all playoff games, NFL network and i can go back and watch games all the way back to the 2012 season.

Not bad value if you ask me.

I hate 4pm games.

I prefer the 12pm start and not switching day light savings time like it used to be way back in the day.

1pm is ok with the day light savings but I still wish it was 12pm when we were on central time.

8 minutes ago, Chucklez said:

Sucks this isnt a possiblity for you in the states because of broadcast licensing rules probably, but i can watch the game on Gamepass and change the audio commentary to the radio commentary. So i get best of both worlds. 

I gotta pay for it, but in reality it costs £145 or so for the year, which equates to about $187 or so. For that i get all preseason games, regular season games, i get all playoff games, NFL network and i can go back and watch games all the way back to the 2012 season.

Not bad value if you ask me.

well, besides saving money, there's another reason I wont watch it, but its not allowed to be discussed on this form. But I'll listen.

1 hour ago, csmopar said:

That is an awesome tradtion you and your wife have with Sunday dinner.  I wish we had that.

Wait a minute who am I kidding? I don't want to miss games to go over there.

14 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

The only reason I don’t like the later starts is it comes right in the middle of dinner. lol. Otherwise I kind of like the 4 pm starts.

I actually haven't minded as much. I do a bunch of house work and it passes the time quick and it's already 4 o'clock.

1 hour ago, Chucklez said:

Lol oh man. It takes so much discipline to record and watch later. Plus all the buddy text groups on Sundays.. wow yeah you're right this isn't 1980's anymore. There is literally no way of playing naive for 24 hours haha

2 hours ago, Chrisaaron1023 said:

It's only our 2nd game starting at 4:25pm time

3 hours ago, csmopar said:

well, besides saving money, there's another reason I wont watch it, but its not allowed to be discussed on this form. But I'll listen.

Sounds like a vegetarian friend of mine who I saw eating a hot dog.

me: I thought you were a vegetarian?

friend: I am, but I’m not a fanatic about it.

4 hours ago, Nickster said:

That is an awesome tradtion you and your wife have with Sunday dinner.  I wish we had that.

Wait a minute who am I kidding? I don't want to miss games to go over there.

Actually, my father in law is really great. Almost like a father to me, he only had two girls and he’s retired military so we get along really really well. 

1 hour ago, coltsva said:

Sounds like a vegetarian friend of mine who I saw eating a hot dog.

me: I thought you were a vegetarian?

friend: I am, but I’m not a fanatic about it.

That's actually me too. Been that way since I was a child. But I'm def not a fanatic either.. I'll just simply pick around the meat

6 hours ago, csmopar said:

I don't turn the game on till kick off and turn the sound off. 

Then I throw on some classic rock or whatever I'm in the mood for. 

Maybe some Cody Jinks, Billy Strings or Leftover Salmon. 

I too refuse to watch or hear those horse dung announcers plus the other stuff you are referring to. 

The 3 hours of relief is now gone. 

5 hours ago, Chrisaaron1023 said:

I actually haven't minded as much. I do a bunch of house work and it passes the time quick and it's already 4 o'clock.

Lol oh man. It takes so much discipline to record and watch later. Plus all the buddy text groups on Sundays.. wow yeah you're right this isn't 1980's anymore. There is literally no way of playing naive for 24 hours haha

I didn’t say 24 hours, I said a few hours, and it’s quite simple, just don’t look at your phone for a few hours. We all managed to do it before we all always had our phones in our pockets. It’s just a few hours.

2 minutes ago, Chucklez said:

I didn’t say 24 hours, I said a few hours, and it’s quite simple, just don’t look at your phone for a few hours. We all managed to do it before we all always had our phones in our pockets. It’s just a few hours.

Yeah, it definitely takes a great deal of discipline to be able to DVR sports. And I commend those who do. I wouldn't be able to.

The 4 pm starts would be great if we were seizing the national stage. But no. Same puny market but for some reason we have to wait 3 more hours to get our fix. Why don’t they play the west coast games in that slot? 

I always record the game and start it one hour after kickoff. FF through commercials. By the end I’ve caught up. 

1 hour ago, Chucklez said:

I have taped and started every game late so far because of WNBA conflicts

8 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

It is just me but there is no way I could tape a game and watch afterwards and get away with not knowing who won. I would have to stay off the computer, shut my phone off and avoid a lot of people lol because otherwise I would already know the outcome. Impossible for me to do so. 

Same, turn the TV off. And immediately tell your neighbors not to mention anything.. cuz they obviously know I'm a colts fan haha

I dig the late start games because I can watch the early game fury on RedZone.  I'm addicted.  Even when the Colts play in the early game I'm flipping over during commercials and halftime.  I don't have to work most Sundays so it doesn't bother me.  RedZone is lit.

Archived