Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

O-Line Makeover

Dtman513

Yeah I want Ijalana to develop at tackle, playing at guard will hinder his development.

Me too, but we have to look at what we have. In Ijalana, we have a guy who can play guard and tackle. If we have other guys who can only play one position, we let them play their best position and let Ijalana fill in where he is needed. Still too early to tell though, since we don't know what could happen in the draft and the rest of FA

LT- Castonzo

LG- Reitz

C- Staele

RG- Ijalana

RT- Justice

In my mock draft I had us taking Cordy Glenn in which case our O-Line could be either

LT- Castonzo

LG- Reitz

C- Satele

RG - Glenn

RT - Ijalana

or

LT- Castonzo

LG- Ijalana

C- Satale

RG- Glenn

RT- Justice

I'm not very confident Ijalana will be starting at either position to start the year. In the article on the home page, he stated he hopes to be back later this year. Most ACL tears require about a year for full recovery. Even if he is back a little early, he might not be ready to start. Remember last year he played some special teams and only entered a game at tackle due to injury. Then he only played part of a game and got hurt himself. He is a great prospect but maybe don't call him a starter until he has played at least one game as a colt.

Currently we have on roster:

60 Murphy, Matt G

67 Tepper, Mike T

72 Linkenbach, Jeff T

73 Olsen, Seth G

74 Castonzo, Anthony T

76 Reitz, Joe T

79 Ijalana, Ben T

Shipley, A.Q. C

McGlynn, Mike C/G

Justice, Winston T

Kirkpatrick, Jake C

Satele, Samson C

How many O-lineman do we usually carry on our 53 man roster? I'm thinking 10 + 1. From the ones you have listed it looks like we can assemble a quality line. I don't see a possibility where we draft OL early. Maybe Grigson will consider it later in the draft. I trust Ryan's instincts when it comes to scouting lineman, so I bet he'll do a good job of bringing in rookie f/a's too.

Polian spent draft picks on the OL like they were candy, especially the additional 5th and 1st round picks he gave up for Ben Ijalana and Ugoh. I think Chris Polian addressed our most vital need when he drafted Costanzo.

LT- Anthony C.

LG- Open (Reitz/McGlynn/??)

C - Satele (Grigson basically announced him the starter)

RG- Ben or Winston

RT- Winston or Ben

That's a young line with potential to grow.

How many O-lineman do we usually carry on our 53 man roster? I'm thinking 10 + 1. From the ones you have listed it looks like we can assemble a quality line. I don't see a possibility where we draft OL early. Maybe Grigson will consider it later in the draft. I trust Ryan's instincts when it comes to scouting lineman, so I bet he'll do a good job of bringing in rookie f/a's too.

Polian spent draft picks on the OL like they were candy, especially the additional 5th and 1st round picks he gave up for Ben Ijalana and Ugoh. I think Chris Polian addressed our most vital need when he drafted Costanzo.

LT- Anthony C.

RG- Ben or Winston

RT- Winston or Ben

It depends. Different teams put different priorities in the makeup of their 53man roster. From what I have seen, the average OL group, in the final 53 roster tends to be about 11.

Currently we have on roster:

60 Murphy, Matt G

67 Tepper, Mike T

72 Linkenbach, Jeff T

73 Olsen, Seth G

74 Castonzo, Anthony T

76 Reitz, Joe T

79 Ijalana, Ben T

Shipley, A.Q. C

McGlynn, Mike C/G

Justice, Winston T

Kirkpatrick, Jake C

Satele, Samson C

I wouldn't shock me if it's Castonzo Reitz or Ijalana, Satele, McGlynn, Justice as the starters.

Frankly I think it's going to be Reitz, Ijalana, McGlynn, and Justice all fighting for three starting spots. Of that Justice and Ijalana will compete for the starting right tackle job and Reitz, McGlynn and maybe Ijalana fighting for the starting guard spots.

Honestly guys, I'm not sold on Reitz. Everyone wants to pencil him in as a starter, but what has he done production wise? He's a basketball player turned lineman, he was hurt off and on last year, and I've never seen any significant production out of him. Where has he earned all of of this credibility to be an instant starter?! At least McGlynn has had a good amount of playing experience.

Honestly guys, I'm not sold on Reitz. Everyone wants to pencil him in as a starter, but what has he done production wise? He's a basketball player turned lineman, he was hurt off and on last year, and I've never seen any significant production out of him. Where has he earned all of of this credibility to be an instant starter?! At least McGlynn has had a good amount of playing experience.

Give Reitz a full training camp...our line is better than we think....hang in there...

This year's TC will be very interesting to watch.

I totally agree....this is the most important TC for the Colts since 1998, an our young OL did not get that TC last year...I will add the entire team will need this camp (mini-camp too) but could write a book on that.

Give Reitz a full training camp...our line is better than we think....hang in there...

I agree. We have a big, strong o-line now that with the right coaching I can see our line being very respectable. I love that we finally don't have a bunch of small o-lineman that gets pushed around in the running game. I still keep seeing people penciling Ijalana in at a guard spot and that may very well be the case with the addition of Justice, but im just not so sure that would be the best case scenario for him. He is a big strong kid with long arms and good feet that would be a good fit at RT. Im not so sure that Justice wasn't just brought in to be an insurance policy at the tackle spot and since Ijalana is coming off a serious knee injury they may be worried that he may not be ready at the start of the season. I think Satele was a great pickup and will be a huge upgrade at the center position. Not that Jeff was bad, but his best yrs. have been behind him for a couple of yrs. now. Don't know a lot about McGlynn but it looks like he has the potential to be a good guard and he's big so thats a plus.

I agree. We have a big, strong o-line now that with the right coaching I can see our line being very respectable. I love that we finally don't have a bunch of small o-lineman that gets pushed around in the running game. I still keep seeing people penciling Ijalana in at a guard spot and that may very well be the case with the addition of Justice, but im just not so sure that would be the best case scenario for him. He is a big strong kid with long arms and good feet that would be a good fit at RT. Im not so sure that Justice wasn't just brought in to be an insurance policy at the tackle spot and since Ijalana is coming off a serious knee injury they may be worried that he may not be ready at the start of the season. I think Satele was a great pickup and will be a huge upgrade at the center position. Not that Jeff was bad, but his best yrs. have been behind him for a couple of yrs. now. Don't know a lot about McGlynn but it looks like he has the potential to be a good guard and he's big so thats a plus.

I agree on Ijalana. Bill Polian brought him in to be a right tackle. We only saw one game for him there when he got injured. To me, he looked too slow to 'pull' as a guard, and his footwork was lacking. I really believe missing training camp injured our lineman. McGlynn can fill a 'need' at right guard and backup center if Salele goes down.

Justice is 'supposedly' a solid run blocker. I honestly feel with a healthy left side and some growth (maybe a drafted RG, this line can be solid with a mobile QB (Luck presumed or RG3.) Thanks for the reply!!

I agree on Ijalana. Bill Polian brought him in to be a right tackle. We only saw one game for him there when he got injured. To me, he looked too slow to 'pull' as a guard, and his footwork was lacking. I really believe missing training camp injured our lineman. McGlynn can fill a 'need' at right guard and backup center if Salele goes down.

Justice is 'supposedly' a solid run blocker. I honestly feel with a healthy left side and some growth (maybe a drafted RG, this line can be solid with a mobile QB (Luck presumed or RG3.) Thanks for the reply!!

The difference this yr. from the last few, is I actually trust our new coaches to find the right combination for our o-line. When we had guys like Jaime Richard and Linkenbach starting on our line, it was hard to have trust in the coaching staff. I honestly believe that o-line could go from one of the worst area's on the team, to one of the best. Thats high expectations I know, but I believe we have the right coaches coaching them up and the right GM getting the o-line talent.

I am not familiar with the new OL coach, but if Arians brought him with him from the Steelers, I respect he knows him quite well and he fits the Pagano 'family mantra.' I think Grigson has brount in 'pieces' to fit the puzzle. I was better with Richard than Link myself. At least Richard had a mean streak. HA HA! Also filled in well for Saturday 2 years ago when he was hurt.

I like your high expectations. Never aim too high. We have a franchise QB coming in.....and he threw very well in a stiff wind. Barring more injuries and a full camp, thing are looking very good to me also. We can both aim high!!!

We do need TE capable of blocking ,love to get Lucks team mate,he blocks well plus runs good routes and catches the ball,however i doubt hes around in draft whenour number comes up 2nd round if he is it would be a steel

Eldridge should fit the need at Hback if he can stay healthy. Huge frame and blocking's what he did in college.

You pretty much have to trust Grigson on this.....

He's the player personell guy..and a former lineman...

Its frustarting to me..... but there's no way to judge an O-line until until they play in games....

Agreed. The proof will be in the pudding, when they pass protect, and run block effectively in game situations.

The O-line is actually one of the things I'm most excited about this off season, feels kinda strange to be this excited about the O-line.

I'm expecting a rather large turn around in the run game, and if we can get Brown to work on his blocking and get a TE thats decent at blocking and a good pass catcher I believe we have the chance to be a very exciting Offense.

LT- Anthony C.

RG- Ben or Winston

RT- Winston or Ben

There may also be a FA lineman who is getting desperate for a contract......later on as well. Things looking up on the OL

not only did he throw well ,he move very well ,wich we are not use too,his foot work outstsanding,didnt see much difference between him &RG3 Min that aspect,think they will both be great

Luck is good for us with two 6' 7" linemen on the right and a 6'3" center. This is a tall OL.