Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Coaching/GM seat getting hot? (MERGED)

JPFolks

On 9/13/2020 at 6:24 PM, #12. said:

I have a hard time seeing Ballard or Reich being fired.  Luck, covid, etc - it's not gonna happen.

Eberflus might be on the hot seat.

Eberflus has started an NFL tour of torch the Colts. I don't care about personnel at all at this point. It just needs to look like the Colts have a defense, even if they don't. Further Jim Irsay should have a heart to heart with Frank Reich and forbid him giving the ball to Hines on 3rd and short without permission. 

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply
45 minutes ago, BeanDiasucci said:

They added Buckner to be a guy who improves the defense. Not to be the missing piece. That's something you've made up. Obviously. If you look at last year's defense, there was more than one missing piece.  

When you trade a no. 1 pick and then give Buckner a huge 4 year contract he needs to be the guy. Normally when you make that kind of move you think you have a real shot at a super bowl. Not when you are a middle of the pack team and should still be rebuilding by stockpiling young talent

1 hour ago, bleevit said:

Eberflus has started an NFL tour of torch the Colts. I don't care about personnel at all at this point. It just needs to look like the Colts have a defense, even if they don't. Further Jim Irsay should have a heart to heart with Frank Reich and forbid him giving the ball to Hines on 3rd and short without permission. 

So if Franks wants to run a 3rd and short with Hines he need to get permission from Irsay ?

Is this a joke or are you serious? smh

2 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

So if Franks wants to run a 3rd and short with Hines he need to get permission from Irsay ?

I'm sure he's joking.   He should only have to get permission if he plans to run Hines up the middle on 4th downs.  haha

1 hour ago, BigO said:

When you trade a no. 1 pick and then give Buckner a huge 4 year contract he needs to be the guy. Normally when you make that kind of move you think you have a real shot at a super bowl. Not when you are a middle of the pack team and should still be rebuilding by stockpiling young talent

Most people felt like the Colts were close to being an elite team in the AFC.   I'm not going to fault a GM for trying to make the team better now.  By the way, you don't have to rebuild in the NFL.  Meaning that you can keep rebuilding while being a good team.  

19 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

It simply amazes me there are a few who have already made their minds up the Colts are no good over losing one game. 

Some of you act like we are already out of the playoffs. smh

I agree.   It was one game and we didn't get blown out.   I may stay away from this forum if the Colts lose to the Vikings.   

3 hours ago, BigO said:

Buckner is 26 years old and has a 4-year contract, and the Colts still have cap room. If it turns out that the Colts are not a Super Bowl contending team this year, I don't see how that makes this a bad move as long as Buckner is as good as expected. 

3 hours ago, BeanDiasucci said:

Buckner is 26 years old and has a 4-year contract, and the Colts still have cap room. If it turns out that the Colts are not a Super Bowl contending team this year, I don't see how that makes this a bad move as long as Buckner is as good as expected. 

It is a bad move because we could have had Kinlaw at 21 years old and on a rookie contract for 5 years and spent that money for Buckner on 2 or 3 talented players to help this defense that needs plenty of help especially in the secondary

8 minutes ago, BigO said:

It is a bad move because we could have had Kinlaw at 21 years old and on a rookie contract for 5 years and spent that money for Buckner on 2 or 3 talented players to help this defense that needs plenty of help especially in the secondary

But that depends on how well Buckner plays and how well Kinlaw plays, doesn't it? And we don't know either of those things yet. 

5 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

If and when Frank's tendency to run Hines in short yardage (3rd and 4th down) gets back to being a surprise then he can go back to it. As of now it is predictable and getting stuffed. Is that serious enough for you?

14 minutes ago, bleevit said:

If and when Frank's tendency to run Hines in short yardage (3rd and 4th down) gets back to being a surprise then he can go back to it. As of now it is predictable and getting stuffed. Is that serious enough for you?

It was a silly comment for you to make in the first place. 

I don't think Frank needs permission from Irsay to do anything. Irsay pays him to coach good or bad. 

On 9/13/2020 at 6:04 PM, JPFolks said:

0-3 in coaching first games. 

0-4 for the GM. 

Uninspired play calling, especially in the second half. 

Vaunted rushing game tepid. Vaunted O-Line looked average.

Our first pick was barely visible and had no impact. 

Superstar trade player invisible all game. 

QB acquisition looked as bad or worse than last season. 

Secondary play horrendous.  Our Defense made Minshew look like Drew Brees last year, 19/20 passing.  The defense picked right up from last year. 2nd best % in history?

People will talk.  

On paper, we lost to the shallowest depth (by their own coaches admission) team in the league and even with multiple starters hurt, they shut us down when it counted over and over. 

On the plus side we're still in the hunt for the #1 pick! Perhaps 3rd time will be the charm for #1 QB picks in Indy?

Or perhaps they will crawl out of this hole too.

They better or the talking will turn to shouting.  Reich said they had the talent to win it all. If that is true then his coaching was to blame. 

Smh I don't know where to start but bravo. You are right my friend.

Gardner looking like Drew Breezy ? Darnnn lol but I like it! At least you are being honest.

6 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

It was a silly comment for you to make in the first place. 

I don't think Frank needs permission from Irsay to do anything. Irsay pays him to coach good or bad. 

So your highness thinks I'm silly. If Jim Irsay wants to put limitations on anything regarding the Colts I bet he can. I've been a Colts fan since about 1957 and don't need your arrogant self to tell me what to think or say. I have responded to what I've seen over many games now. So you can take your thousands of posts and put them in a dark place on your person.

10 minutes ago, bleevit said:

So your highness thinks I'm silly. If Jim Irsay wants to put limitations on anything regarding the Colts I bet he can. I've been a Colts fan since about 1957 and don't need your arrogant self to tell me what to think or say. I have responded to what I've seen over many games now. So you can take your thousands of posts and put them in a dark place on your person.

Or you can admit that expecting a coach to call the owner before running a play is silly, regardless of how long you've been a fan. Either way.

1 minute ago, CheezyColt said:

Or you can admit that expecting a coach to call the owner before running a play is silly, regardless of how long you've been a fan. Either way.

Oh for crying out loud. I've indicated that Frank should ditch this play for the immediate future. I don't expect he'll call Irsay. Just don't run this constantly failing play.

46 minutes ago, bleevit said:

You're a funny dude. 

And I do think you are silly too. 

8 hours ago, BigO said:

That's assuming it's a bad move. 

That hasn't been established at this point. 

11 hours ago, bleevit said:

I get the point you were trying to make and Crazy probably took you too literally (though I expect his comment was mostly tongue-in-cheek), but ultimately nobody here needs your permission to respond with their opinion to one of your posts. 

12 hours ago, bleevit said:

He didn't call you silly, just that your comment was. He also didn't tell you what to think or say, just posted his opinion on a statement you made. That's literally the point of this forum and you took his post way too personally.

Also, nowhere in this thread did he indicate that his number of posts somehow made him an authority on the Colts. Just like your years of fandom don't make you one either.

Oh for crying out loud. I've indicated that Frank should ditch this play for the immediate future. I don't expect he'll call Irsay.

You can't get up in arms at people not agreeing with a statement of yours that you're now walking back.

Just don't run this constantly failing play.

It failed once...

4 hours ago, Shive said:

He didn't call you silly, just that your comment was. He also didn't tell you what to think or say, just posted his opinion on a statement you made. That's literally the point of this forum and you took his post way too personally.

Also, nowhere in this thread did he indicate that his number of posts somehow made him an authority on the Colts. Just like your years of fandom don't make you one either.

You can't get up in arms at people not agreeing with a statement of yours that you're now walking back.

It failed once...

And here was me thinking that 63 years of being a loyal fan might be worth something. I stand corrected.

And here was me thinking that 63 years of being a loyal fan might be worth something. I stand corrected.

It's definitely worth something, but not in that your opinion matters more than anyone else's.

Again, you're taking things personally when they aren't.

50 minutes ago, OffensivelyPC said:

Eh, no team vies for the #1 pick first game of the year.  Let's pull back on the horse a bit...

I’m not sure about that.   But it is possible Jags were cutting away dead weight.  

I still think they will be vying for leagues worst team.

Its only worth something to you. 

I've been a fan for 19 years. That just so happens to be most of my life. Im 28. But those years only mean something to myself. 

The only way the seat starts to get hot is if Buckner and our draft picks play like busts all year. I think if Rivers has a bad year it is a bit of a wash because he is on a 1 year deal and there weren't any clear long term options available. (Maybe other than Cam, but I don't blame them). 

If Buckner doesn't start to show up like we expect then that is a huge problem. If Taylor and Pittman don't show nice growth then that is also very bad for us.

That said... I'm pretty optimistic that that was just a bad game. On paper we still look improved and we knew going in to this offseason we might still have some holes that need fixed even by season start. Particularly in the secondary.

3 hours ago, bleevit said:

The time being a fan of any team is of no concern. 

Am I any more of a fan than a brand new fan?  No. 

We have a couple of fans that were Charger fans and moved over here because of Rivers and the relocation of their team. 

They are just as welcome as me or you.

What I said to you was nothing personal but you took it that way. Are you really that thinned skinned? 

Instead of thinking about what Shive said and eloquently explained to you, you now want to pout about it. 

3 hours ago, bleevit said:

Just because you’ve been a fan for a long time doesn’t make your opinion more valuable or more right than someone else’s.  Just like how long you’ve been here or not been here doesn’t matter either.  I’ve been here since 04 yet I don’t think that means jack when it comes to my opinions.

6 hours ago, Shive said:

It's definitely worth something, but not in that your opinion matters more than anyone else's.

Again, you're taking things personally when they aren't.

I am definitely not taking this personally in that your opinion of me is of no consequence one way or the other. I'd just like to see the Colts do better. 

On 9/13/2020 at 7:57 PM, danlhart87 said:

download.jpeg.jpg

Yessir! Lawrence is an even bigger generational talent than Luck was :mindblow: And we would already have a great line ready for him with a young, growing defense. 

I wouldn’t even be upset with sucking this year :cheers:

1 hour ago, Stoney said:

Yessir! Lawrence is an even bigger generational talent than Luck was :mindblow: And we would already have a great line ready for him with a young, growing defense. 

I wouldn’t even be upset with sucking this year :cheers:

Too bad it will never happen, and if it does Frank Reich is gone. 

On 9/13/2020 at 6:08 PM, Chloe6124 said:

I think it’s a coaching issue more then a GM issue. We have a pretty good team on paper. Reich and Eberflus keep making the same mistakes. The secondary needs fixed. Outside Moore and Rock we need better players.

I banned myself from the board after the game because all I wanted to due was rag on Reich after the game. I thought a week away would temper my opinion, but it didn't. I agree that this is Reich problem, agree that some players need to play better, but also know the players weren't prepped well, and the game plan did not put them in the best position to do well. 

Reich's game plan was boneheaded. I'm not quite sure which was worse, last year's Miami game, or last weekend. I have zero problem with passing more than throwing, but we had more than twice the passing attempts than rush attempts. That's just dumb against Jax, it's uber dumb for the first game, and super duper dumb when you have our OL and RBs. We won in time of possession, and had 27first downs compared to 17 of theirs and still lost. 85 rushing yards on 21 attempts, even with Mack going down, is just silly. 

And while I didn't think it was smart giving up an easy 3, the play calling was just horrible. 1) Using your APB instead of Mack or Taylor, 2) going over the LG is predictable, 3) last year we were more successful over the RG and right in general on running plays. 4) if your gong to use your scat back, at least hit the edge or use misdirection. Those combined 4 things are just incredibly bad. And still would have been bad even if we scored. 

On D, again we gave up way too much cushion. Sure some DBs made mistakes, but our Charmin soft zone again made a 2nd rate QB look like a surgeon. Jax has zero running game (they only had 72 RB yards), and their starting RB1 is a UDFA. To allow them success running in the first half was inexcusable. And to not play more aggressive press man vs a guy like Minshew is another 

Rivers - I don't mind 1 INT per game, especially if a QB is throwing 300 yards. The first INT, I can understand a bit. Rivers got fooled when Henderson handed off his man to the S and came back to help double TY. It was a great call by the DC, and was kind of a set up as Henderson was typically sticking to his man. There's a good vid on youtube showing the Xs and Os of the play. I'll also say it was not a typical clean/quick route by TY. It's was a 7 route releasing from the inside. TY did a little lazy juke fake inside and then went out. The lazy look of the turn bothered me less than effort he had on the ball. Normally TY is a sharp aggressive cutter, and fights for the ball. The hole route/effort just looked un-TYish. You could tell by some of the lazy routes of the other WRs that this play was always going to TY (look at the left inside route). Anyway, I'm tired of trying to call plays for TY, or forcing plays to TY, when we had so much success elsewhere. The 2nd INT was come from behind stuff late in the game which most QBs suffer from. His fault, but should have never been in that position in the first place. He owned it. I expect better things.

OL - Our OL looked bad at time vs a mediocre Jax DL. On the 4th down stop of Hines, Nelson got shed like a rag doll. Hines should not have been running that in the first place, and going over the LG was predictable, but Nelson can't look that bad if he's going to live up to his rep. Stupid call by Reich, bad job by Nelson. 

DBs - Moore to me was the biggest disappointment. Certainly didn't live up to his billing. No DB played good, but at least Rock wasn't as bad as the rest. IMO, the game plan and scheme contributed to guys looking bad. So tired of the Charmin soft zone. Once again, giving up that much cushion made a mediocre to bad QB look like an all star.

16 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I banned myself from the board after the game because all I wanted to due was rag on Reich after the game. I thought a week away would temper my opinion, but it didn't. I agree that this is Reich problem, agree that some players need to play better, but also know the players weren't prepped well, and the game plan did not put them in the best position to do well. 

Reich's game plan was boneheaded. I'm not quite sure which was worse, last year's Miami game, or last weekend. I have zero problem with passing more than throwing, but we had more than twice the passing attempts than rush attempts. That's just dumb against Jax, it's uber dumb for the first game, and super duper dumb when you have our OL and RBs. We won in time of possession, and had 27first downs compared to 17 of theirs and still lost. 85 rushing yards on 21 attempts, even with Mack going down, is just silly. 

And while I didn't think it was smart giving up an easy 3, the play calling was just horrible. 1) Using your APB instead of Mack or Taylor, 2) going over the LG is predictable, 3) last year we were more successful over the RG and right in general on running plays. 4) if your gong to use your scat back, at least hit the edge or use misdirection. Those combined 4 things are just incredibly bad. And still would have been bad even if we scored. 

On D, again we gave up way too much cushion. Sure some DBs made mistakes, but our Charmin soft zone again made a 2nd rate QB look like a surgeon. Jax has zero running game (they only had 72 RB yards), and their starting RB1 is a UDFA. To allow them success running in the first half was inexcusable. And to not play more aggressive press man vs a guy like Minshew is another 

Rivers - I don't mind 1 INT per game, especially if a QB is throwing 300 yards. The first INT, I can understand a bit. Rivers got fooled when Henderson handed off his man to the S and came back to help double TY. It was a great call by the DC, and was kind of a set up as Henderson was typically sticking to his man. There's a good vid on youtube showing the Xs and Os of the play. I'll also say it was not a typical clean/quick route by TY. It's was a 7 route releasing from the inside. TY did a little lazy juke fake inside and then went out. The lazy look of the turn bothered me less than effort he had on the ball. Normally TY is a sharp aggressive cutter, and fights for the ball. The hole route/effort just looked un-TYish. You could tell by some of the lazy routes of the other WRs that this play was always going to TY (look at the left inside route). Anyway, I'm tired of trying to call plays for TY, or forcing plays to TY, when we had so much success elsewhere. The 2nd INT was come from behind stuff late in the game which most QBs suffer from. His fault, but should have never been in that position in the first place. He owned it. I expect better things.

OL - Our OL looked bad at time vs a mediocre Jax DL. On the 4th down stop of Hines, Nelson got shed like a rag doll. Hines should not have been running that in the first place, and going over the LG was predictable, but Nelson can't look that bad if he's going to live up to his rep. Stupid call by Reich, bad job by Nelson. 

DBs - Moore to me was the biggest disappointment. Certainly didn't live up to his billing. No DB played good, but at least Rock wasn't as bad as the rest. IMO, the game plan and scheme contributed to guys looking bad. So tired of the Charmin soft zone. Once again, giving up that much cushion made a mediocre to bad QB look like an all star.

I mainly blame the D for this loss. Statistically we killed them on offense. When you let a QB complete 19-20 passes and create no turnovers that almost will always result in a loss.

33 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I mainly blame the D for this loss. Statistically we killed them on offense. When you let a QB complete 19-20 passes and create no turnovers that almost will always result in a loss.

While giving up two turnovers and two fourth down stops of your own.  Gotta take care of the football and take it away.

46 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I blame both, but the coaching was the worst part about it on both sides of the ball. But on D, when you give up that much cushion, just about any QB can eat you up with the right game plan. We simply got outcoached on both sides.

And typically, when you're QB throws for 300+ and for 78%, you win lol. 

Archived