Starting Cap Space: $86,162,964

Releases

QB Brian Hoyer – Saves $3M

DL Margus Hunt – Saves $4M

QB Jacoby Brissett – Saves $9M

Cap Space after Cuts: $102,162,964

Re-sign

Unrestricted Free Agents 

G Joe Haeg – 2 Years/$6.5M (2020 Cap Hit - $3.5M)

DE Jabaal Sheard – 2 Years/$14M

T Anthony Castonzo – 2 Years/$30M (Year 1 fully guaranteed - $15M)

WR Devin Funchess – 1 Year/$7M

RB Jonathan Williams – 1 Year/1.325M

G Josh Andrews – 2 Years/4.5M (2020 Cap Hit - $2.5M)

Restricted Free Agents 

WR Marcus Johnson – RFA Original Round Tender ($2.144M)

Exclusive Rights Free Agents 

WR Daurice Fountain – ERFA Tender (660K)

S Rolan Milligan – ERFA Tender (660K)

Money Spent on Own Free Agents: $39,789,000

Cap Space Remaining: $62,373,964 

Trade

Raiders trade QB Derek Carr to Colts for #44, #75

Carr Cap Hit - $18.9M

Remaining Cap Space: $43,473,964

Free Agents

DT Javon Hargrave – 4 Years/$60M ($35M guarenteed)

A disruptive 3 Tech on the DL is something the Colts need desperately. Autry has been solid but is also entering a contract year. Stewart did well this year but is more suited as a 1 tech. Pittsburgh will most likely have to choose between Dupree and Hargrave with their cap situation. Hargrave can play any position along the line, despite playing as a 3-4 NT in Pittsburgh. Hargrave can transition into a 4-3 3-Tech in the Colts' scheme and be a disruptive pass rusher. $15M/year might be a bit high but that approximately what the market value is for a young, free agent DT. Usually the Colts do not bring in any big name players, but I believe this is the year Ballard goes after a top tier player at a position of need. 

S Eric Berry - 1 Year/$3M 

There has been talk that Eric Berry and the Colts have displayed interest. Didn't play last year, but said he wanted to sit out a year to get healthy. Injuries have been a concern and he's 31, but even if he becomes 75% of the player he once was, he would be an excellent addition in the secondary and a mentor to our young safety group. Plus, he's good friends with Justin Houston. 

WR Rashard Higgins - 1 Year/$2M 

Fell out of favor in Cleveland. Had a decent season in 2018 with 572 yards and 4 TDs. Bring him in to compete for one of the final WR spots. 

Money Spent on Free Agents: $20,000,000

Cap Space Remaining: $23,473,964

NFL Draft 

Trade: Colts trade #13 to Eagles for #21, #53 

Round 1 Pick 21: WR Justin Jefferson LSU 

Colts trade back in a WR heavy class and get their WR #2. Jefferson led the country with 111 receptions, was second in receiving touchdowns (18) and third in receiving yards (1,540). It helped being apart of LSU historic offense with Joe Burrow, but Jefferson is a versatile WR that has excellent ball skills and hands. Had a very good combine with a 4.43 40 time and 37.5" vertical jump. His main issue is route running, which I think he can work on at the NFL level with his superb pass-catching traits. 

Round 2 Pick 34: DT Ross Blacklock TCU 

Despite grabbing Hargrave in free agency, I think the Colts need to draft a DT on Day 1 or 2. Madabuike or Gallimore could be the pick here is well, but I prefer Blacklock over those two. Blacklock can play in any scheme and has the physical tools to a disruptive DT. His explosiveness and athleticism will help him to excel as a 3-tech in the Colts' scheme. Can become a building block defensive piece if he develops the necessary skills. 

Round 2 Pick 53: TE Cole Kmet Notre Dame 

With the departure of Eric Ebron, Colts need another vertical threat TE to play alongside Jack Doyle. Kmet runs smooth routes and has very good hands. His blocking needs to be improved on, but he has the physical tools to become an effective run blocker. He is not the fastest with a 4.7 40 time but is strong enough to tackles. Not as athletic as Ebron, but is definitely a stronger pass catcher. 

Round 4 Pick 112: DT Leki Fotu Utah 

Fotu will rotate with Grover Stewart as the 1-tech. Has elite upper-body strength and an impressive motor. Does not possess the leverage and block shedding to be an elite pass rusher, but will work well as a rotational 1-tech. 

Round 5 Pick 142: CB Harrison Hand Temple 

Hand is an outstanding in zone coverage with good length and physicality. Comes up to the line of scrimmage to make tackles on WR screens and outside run plays. He's a bigger CB that could potentially end up replacing Pierre Desir on the outside. 

Round 6 Pick 173: S Geno Stone Iowa 

Not going to lie, one of the main reasons I made this pick is because he is from my dad's hometown, like Malik Hooker. Stone does not possess fantastic athleticism, but is a smart player that anticipates routes and is a strong tackler. Also has decent ball skills in zone coverage.  

Round 6 Pick 191: QB Cole McDonald Hawaii 

Has the physical tools, mainly the strong arm, but lacks decision making. A low risk, high reward type of prospect if he can understand the mental side of the game. QB is not a pressing need with the trade for Carr, but it's good to grab a QB that can be developed into a decent backup. 

Round 7 Pick 204: OT Jon Runyan Michigan 

Son of the Eagles OT of the same name. Not the most athletic but is a very smart player. Can be a decent backup OL that could shift inside to guard. 

Money Spent on Draft Picks: $10,000,000

Cap Space Remaining: $13,473,964

Notes

- I think Derek Carr can work well with the Colts. He's still young (29 at the start of next season) and has been a very accurate passer during his time in Oakland. Carr is an upgrade over Brissett and would put the Colts back in contention. Hasn't been as good as he was early in his career, but I think he can flourish with a change of scenery and new weapons and elite offensive line. I believe #44 and #75 is fair value for Carr. 

- I think the Colts are willing to give Funchess another chance this year. $7 million may be a bit too much but the Colts have the cap flexibility. 

- Hargrave is really the only major free agent signing due to the Carr trade. I still don't think Ballard will be overly aggressive in free agency, though you could say he would be aggressive in acquiring Carr and going after Hargrave. I expect a small free agency class and getting impavt players through the draft. 

- Kmet may not last until #53, but would be a great pick if he lands until the middle of the 2nd round. If he gets snagged earlier, I can see us going after Albert Okwuegbunam in the 4th. 

- I don't think CB is a pressing need quite yet, but I think we need to bring in another CB in Day 3 of the draft.  

35 minutes ago, Caleb3502 said:

Starting Cap Space: $86,162,964

Releases

QB Brian Hoyer – Saves $3M

DL Margus Hunt – Saves $4M

QB Jacoby Brissett – Saves $9M

Cap Space after Cuts: $102,162,964

Re-sign

Unrestricted Free Agents 

G Joe Haeg – 2 Years/$6.5M (2020 Cap Hit - $3.5M)

DE Jabaal Sheard – 2 Years/$14M

T Anthony Castonzo – 2 Years/$30M (Year 1 fully guaranteed - $15M)

WR Devin Funchess – 1 Year/$7M

RB Jonathan Williams – 1 Year/1.325M

G Josh Andrews – 2 Years/4.5M (2020 Cap Hit - $2.5M)

Restricted Free Agents 

WR Marcus Johnson – RFA Original Round Tender ($2.144M)

Exclusive Rights Free Agents 

WR Daurice Fountain – ERFA Tender (660K)

S Rolan Milligan – ERFA Tender (660K)

Money Spent on Own Free Agents: $39,789,000

Cap Space Remaining: $62,373,964 

Trade

Raiders trade QB Derek Carr to Colts for #44, #75

Carr Cap Hit - $18.9M

Remaining Cap Space: $43,473,964

Free Agents

DT Javon Hargrave – 4 Years/$60M ($35M guarenteed)

A disruptive 3 Tech on the DL is something the Colts need desperately. Autry has been solid but is also entering a contract year. Stewart did well this year but is more suited as a 1 tech. Pittsburgh will most likely have to choose between Dupree and Hargrave with their cap situation. Hargrave can play any position along the line, despite playing as a 3-4 NT in Pittsburgh. Hargrave can transition into a 4-3 3-Tech in the Colts' scheme and be a disruptive pass rusher. $15M/year might be a bit high but that approximately what the market value is for a young, free agent DT. Usually the Colts do not bring in any big name players, but I believe this is the year Ballard goes after a top tier player at a position of need. 

S Eric Berry - 1 Year/$3M 

There has been talk that Eric Berry and the Colts have displayed interest. Didn't play last year, but said he wanted to sit out a year to get healthy. Injuries have been a concern and he's 31, but even if he becomes 75% of the player he once was, he would be an excellent addition in the secondary and a mentor to our young safety group. Plus, he's good friends with Justin Houston. 

WR Rashard Higgins - 1 Year/$2M 

Fell out of favor in Cleveland. Had a decent season in 2018 with 572 yards and 4 TDs. Bring him in to compete for one of the final WR spots. 

Money Spent on Free Agents: $20,000,000

Cap Space Remaining: $23,473,964

NFL Draft 

Trade: Colts trade #13 to Eagles for #21, #53 

Round 1 Pick 21: WR Justin Jefferson LSU 

Colts trade back in a WR heavy class and get their WR #2. Jefferson led the country with 111 receptions, was second in receiving touchdowns (18) and third in receiving yards (1,540). It helped being apart of LSU historic offense with Joe Burrow, but Jefferson is a versatile WR that has excellent ball skills and hands. Had a very good combine with a 4.43 40 time and 37.5" vertical jump. His main issue is route running, which I think he can work on at the NFL level with his superb pass-catching traits. 

Round 2 Pick 34: DT Ross Blacklock TCU 

Despite grabbing Hargrave in free agency, I think the Colts need to draft a DT on Day 1 or 2. Madabuike or Gallimore could be the pick here is well, but I prefer Blacklock over those two. Blacklock can play in any scheme and has the physical tools to a disruptive DT. His explosiveness and athleticism will help him to excel as a 3-tech in the Colts' scheme. Can become a building block defensive piece if he develops the necessary skills. 

Round 2 Pick 53: TE Cole Kmet Notre Dame 

With the departure of Eric Ebron, Colts need another vertical threat TE to play alongside Jack Doyle. Kmet runs smooth routes and has very good hands. His blocking needs to be improved on, but he has the physical tools to become an effective run blocker. He is not the fastest with a 4.7 40 time but is strong enough to tackles. Not as athletic as Ebron, but is definitely a stronger pass catcher. 

Round 4 Pick 112: DT Leki Fotu Utah 

Fotu will rotate with Grover Stewart as the 1-tech. Has elite upper-body strength and an impressive motor. Does not possess the leverage and block shedding to be an elite pass rusher, but will work well as a rotational 1-tech. 

Round 5 Pick 142: CB Harrison Hand Temple 

Hand is an outstanding in zone coverage with good length and physicality. Comes up to the line of scrimmage to make tackles on WR screens and outside run plays. He's a bigger CB that could potentially end up replacing Pierre Desir on the outside. 

Round 6 Pick 173: S Geno Stone Iowa 

Not going to lie, one of the main reasons I made this pick is because he is from my dad's hometown, like Malik Hooker. Stone does not possess fantastic athleticism, but is a smart player that anticipates routes and is a strong tackler. Also has decent ball skills in zone coverage.  

Round 6 Pick 191: QB Cole McDonald Hawaii 

Has the physical tools, mainly the strong arm, but lacks decision making. A low risk, high reward type of prospect if he can understand the mental side of the game. QB is not a pressing need with the trade for Carr, but it's good to grab a QB that can be developed into a decent backup. 

Round 7 Pick 204: OT Jon Runyan Michigan 

Son of the Eagles OT of the same name. Not the most athletic but is a very smart player. Can be a decent backup OL that could shift inside to guard. 

Money Spent on Draft Picks: $10,000,000

Cap Space Remaining: $13,473,964

Notes

- I think Derek Carr can work well with the Colts. He's still young (29 at the start of next season) and has been a very accurate passer during his time in Oakland. Carr is an upgrade over Brissett and would put the Colts back in contention. Hasn't been as good as he was early in his career, but I think he can flourish with a change of scenery and new weapons and elite offensive line. I believe #44 and #75 is fair value for Carr. 

- I think the Colts are willing to give Funchess another chance this year. $7 million may be a bit too much but the Colts have the cap flexibility. 

- Hargrave is really the only major free agent signing due to the Carr trade. I still don't think Ballard will be overly aggressive in free agency, though you could say he would be aggressive in acquiring Carr and going after Hargrave. I expect a small free agency class and getting impavt players through the draft. 

- Kmet may not last until #53, but would be a great pick if he lands until the middle of the 2nd round. If he gets snagged earlier, I can see us going after Albert Okwuegbunam in the 4th. 

- I don't think CB is a pressing need quite yet, but I think we need to bring in another CB in Day 3 of the draft.  

they are not releasing both JB and Hoyer 

Its dumb even when I read is a second time

7 minutes ago, twfish said:

Why is it dumb when we bring in a veteran and a young guy? 

I don't think anyone realize what the back up QB does.   Not only is he a fill in  for emergency but also helps game plan.  Everyone wanting Hoyer gone is fine. But is help breaking down opponents is ver valuable . Ask Tom Brady .   He loved Hoyer and his knowledge 

There is ZERO chance the Colts go into next season without a vet at backup. Whether it be JB or Hoyer

42 minutes ago, WifiGuy said:

I don't think anyone realize what the back up QB does.   Not only is he a fill in  for emergency but also helps game plan.  Everyone wanting Hoyer gone is fine. But is help breaking down opponents is ver valuable . Ask Tom Brady .   He loved Hoyer and his knowledge 

There is ZERO chance the Colts go into next season without a vet at backup. Whether it be JB or Hoyer

How bout Kelly? :burnout::peek:

1 hour ago, WifiGuy said:

It's not crazy at all.... If you're moving on from JB and bringing in Carr, you release JB. Silly to pay Carr and JB both starters salary. Hoyer is bad, bring in a young/cheaper guy to develop. 

NE rotates in young mid round rooks all the time behind Brady. 

Carr doesn't need help like JB did. 

Maybe I am being thin skinned but it seems quite rude to come out and say something as well thought out and presented as this original post is dumb. I'm not saying you or anyone else has to agree with the author, but to call the post dumb just seems to be disrespectful. If you disagree feel free to explain why. I love healthy discussion and debate especially about sports, but I think we can show civility when doing so. Maybe I'm being silly but just my :2c:.

Not too bad.  I realized you still had Kelly in mind when I read it.  However, I think they will still need a 3rd QB, if nothing else than a practice squad guy, and I'm not an expert on the practice squad so I don't know who would qualify for that.  But they would need a 3rd somewhere.  The rest I would be OK with that.  Sorta surprised you didn't have them vying for one of the edge rushers available though.

I’m a fan of this offseason overall. However, I don’t see us bringing in 3 young DTs, and would rather us use our 4th on possibly an EDGE or something along those lines. I would also prefer another WR, such as Tee Higgins, over Jefferson, or better yet spend the 21st pick on one of Yetur Gross-Matos or Klavion Chaisson and then a our other second on Chase Claypool and (as you mentioned) taking Albert O in the 4th. Overall though, I like it! Well done!

nice job @Caleb3502

I like a lot of it, but disagree with several things too.

Carr - Love getting Carr, but LVR will want at least a first for him IMO. He had arguably his best season ever, and was top 10ish average in core stats. I also liked that you cleaned house in the QB room.

Hargrave - Love this too. 

WR - I wouldn't take a WR in the 1st given this year's class/depth, and if I did, I wouldn't trade back to do it. I'd take the best available at 13 (Lamb, Jeudy, Ruggs, or Higgins), who is more polished. Jefferson is graded by many to go in the 2nd so just wouldn't reach for him given some of his deficiencies (he's not all that great on the outside, and worked most inside IIRC). I like Higgins, but he's similar to Jefferson (same size, he also struggles vs the press). In short, they are too similar (so only take one), and you haven't addressed X, which is probably a bigger need (even though you're re-signing Funch). I'd take a guy like Clapool in the 2nd, or someone like Hightower later.

OT - While AC is coming back, the comments about him being year to year means you need to address either this year or next. It's a pretty decent OT class this year, so would probably take an OT in the first 2-3 rounds. If not, you're going to be under pressure next year, with perhaps less options.

TE - Love Kmet.

DT in general - Love Hargrave, and I'm OK with Blacklock, but I think I'd flip WR and DT here, and take Kinlaw at 13 (instead of trading back for WR), and take WR in the second or 3rd. Blacklock worries me a bit coming from TCU's scheme, and at minimum, he'd take some developmental time. Out of the box, having a DT rotation of Hargrave/Kinlaw and Grover/Fotu, would give you one of the best iOL in the AFC.

QB - I don't think I'd go that late. That late, it's pretty much a waste given the history of QB by rounds. Go a bit early and grab a guy like Gordon in the mid rounds. If he's gone, just pass and go with Kelly as your backup. In the 6th and 7th, I'd take a second shot at WR given the depth of the class or a small school DB.

Very good effort and well thought out mock. I personally am not the biggest fan of going for Carr, but I can understand the appeal and it's one of the realistic paths that the Colts might take. I thought you did a good job supplementing that move with playmakers to help Carr be successful. 

8 hours ago, EastStreet said:

nice job @Caleb3502

I like a lot of it, but disagree with several things too.

Carr - Love getting Carr, but LVR will want at least a first for him IMO. He had arguably his best season ever, and was top 10ish average in core stats. I also liked that you cleaned house in the QB room.

Hargrave - Love this too. 

WR - I wouldn't take a WR in the 1st given this year's class/depth, and if I did, I wouldn't trade back to do it. I'd take the best available at 13 (Lamb, Jeudy, Ruggs, or Higgins), who is more polished. Jefferson is graded by many to go in the 2nd so just wouldn't reach for him given some of his deficiencies (he's not all that great on the outside, and worked most inside IIRC). I like Higgins, but he's similar to Jefferson (same size, he also struggles vs the press). In short, they are too similar (so only take one), and you haven't addressed X, which is probably a bigger need (even though you're re-signing Funch). I'd take a guy like Clapool in the 2nd, or someone like Hightower later.

OT - While AC is coming back, the comments about him being year to year means you need to address either this year or next. It's a pretty decent OT class this year, so would probably take an OT in the first 2-3 rounds. If not, you're going to be under pressure next year, with perhaps less options.

TE - Love Kmet.

DT in general - Love Hargrave, and I'm OK with Blacklock, but I think I'd flip WR and DT here, and take Kinlaw at 13 (instead of trading back for WR), and take WR in the second or 3rd. Blacklock worries me a bit coming from TCU's scheme, and at minimum, he'd take some developmental time. Out of the box, having a DT rotation of Hargrave/Kinlaw and Grover/Fotu, would give you one of the best iOL in the AFC.

QB - I don't think I'd go that late. That late, it's pretty much a waste given the history of QB by rounds. Go a bit early and grab a guy like Gordon in the mid rounds. If he's gone, just pass and go with Kelly as your backup. In the 6th and 7th, I'd take a second shot at WR given the depth of the class or a small school DB.

Thanks for the response. All things you pointed out are fair to disagree with. I initially had them taking Jeudy at #13, but I changed my mind by throwing in a trade back to pick up another second for Kmet. I hadn't really seen a mock where we took Jefferson, so I just wanted to mix it up a bit.

Sort of the same thing with McDonald; he's sort of intriguing with his strong arm, but Gordon would definitely be the safer developmental QB to take in the middle rounds.

I think Blacklock can be effective despite playing in TCU's scheme, but him and Madabuike are interchangeable in that spot. Gallimore would be a good fit as long as we get a solid 3-tech like Hargrave in free agency or draft Kinlaw. 

I was initially going to go OL in Round 4 but went with Fotu to have another 1-tech on the roster. If we didn't do the Carr trade and still had the 3rd, I think Matthew Peart would be a good option.  

If I did another mock, I would probably, would probably take Kinlaw at #13, take best WR available at 34, and then go after someone like Okwuegbunam in the 3rd or 4th. 

I had a tough time trying to gauge Carr's price tag. Tannehill was traded for a 4th at the age of 30, but he was not expected to be a starter like Carr. I went back to thread about Carr's trade value: 

Still couldn't really find a solid answer, so I ended up going with a 2nd and 3rd. A 2nd and a 3rd would be equal to the 27th or 28th pick, but I could definitely see them wanted #13 so they could have back-to-back picks in the 1st round. I think it depends on how willing Gruden & Mayock on moving on from Carr. I think they'd take a 2nd and 3rd (though they would probably want #34) if they sign a QB in free agency like Bridgewater or even Brady. 

I hadn't seen many Mock Off-seasons centered around Carr so I wanted to do want to see what it would look like. I feel like the main three options for the Colts this year are: trade for Carr, sign Rivers/draft Love, roll with Brissett again. They could still take Love with Brissett as the starter, but I think it's more likely if we sign a veteran QB in free agency to mentor Love.  

10 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

This is nice work, well done. Raiders may want our 34th and 75th for Carr though. Carr IMO is an above average QB, better than average but slightly below the good category. Above average will cut it on our team though because of our O.Line and running game. 

I found it tough to gauge Carr's trade value because I feel it's based on how badly Mayock and Gruden want to move Carr. Some Raiders websites (https://justblogbaby.com/2019/12/04/possible-trade-destinations-for-derek-carr-in-2020/3/) speculate Carr could be had with our early 2nd. That same website also had the Dolphins using their late first to get Carr. I think Carr is worth more than just a second. Point wise 44 and 75 would be equal to the 27th or 28th pick. They might want our 1st, which at that point I'm not sure I would make the deal. I would be fine with giving up 34 and 75.

I agree that Carr can be an above average QB for us. Not everyone on here is on-board with Carr, but with him being 29 and coming off a really good year, I think he can come close to his 2016 version with our O-line and Mack. If Carr has the necessary help, I think he can push us into contention again.

10 hours ago, AZColt11 said:

Not too bad.  I realized you still had Kelly in mind when I read it.  However, I think they will still need a 3rd QB, if nothing else than a practice squad guy, and I'm not an expert on the practice squad so I don't know who would qualify for that.  But they would need a 3rd somewhere.  The rest I would be OK with that.  Sorta surprised you didn't have them vying for one of the edge rushers available though.

10 hours ago, WarGhost21 said:

I’m a fan of this offseason overall. However, I don’t see us bringing in 3 young DTs, and would rather us use our 4th on possibly an EDGE or something along those lines. I would also prefer another WR, such as Tee Higgins, over Jefferson, or better yet spend the 21st pick on one of Yetur Gross-Matos or Klavion Chaisson and then a our other second on Chase Claypool and (as you mentioned) taking Albert O in the 4th. Overall though, I like it! Well done!

Thanks for the responses. I think if the right EDGE player is there in the draft, Ballard will pull the trigger. I think DT is the more pressing need as really Autry and Stewart are the only options on the roster, but with Houston and Sheard's age I can see them grabbing an EDGE. I have high hopes for Turay and Banogu, so that's why I went towards DT over DE. Could definitely take an EDGE in the 4th over another DT.  

10 hours ago, Mel Kiper's Hair said:

Maybe I am being thin skinned but it seems quite rude to come out and say something as well thought out and presented as this original post is dumb. I'm not saying you or anyone else has to agree with the author, but to call the post dumb just seems to be disrespectful. If you disagree feel free to explain why. I love healthy discussion and debate especially about sports, but I think we can show civility when doing so. Maybe I'm being silly but just my :2c:.

Amen to this ^^^^^^^^^. I really appreciate all the folks who take the time to lay out various scenarios, and I really enjoy reading them. I am a huge Colts fan, but don't have the kowledge of a lot of people here, so keep doing these mock off-seasons, and treat each other with some respect.

I do agree with a couple of points folks have made:

1. It is going to take #34 at least to get Derek Carr

2. Justin Jefferson would not be the type of WR they need, they'd be better off going for an outside wide out like Denzel Mims or Tee Higgins but given that they have pick #34 in this scenario, that might be a better pick to pull the trigger on a WR like Jefferson.

Personally, I think you are correct in your assessment of what it would take to get Carr. The Raiders aren't getting a first rounder for him IMO (might require pick 44 and a second rounder next year though instead of a second and third this year). And I am a fan of going after Carr. I like that better than rolling the dice for a rookie, even one as talented as Love or Herbert. 

I'd also take Kinlaw with the 13th pick and grab the best available WR with the 34th. You've then dealt with the team's three most critical positions of need via the draft and FA (love the Hargraves pickup as well). 

I would take another look at all the WR depth you've accumulated. Funchess and Johnson and Fountain plus a FA and a draft pick. And then you have Ty and Pascall and Campbell. Too many. 

Thanks for your hard work on this. Very entertaining. 

1 hour ago, Caleb3502 said:

I found it tough to gauge Carr's trade value because I feel it's based on how badly Mayock and Gruden want to move Carr. Some Raiders websites (https://justblogbaby.com/2019/12/04/possible-trade-destinations-for-derek-carr-in-2020/3/) speculate Carr could be had with our early 2nd. That same website also had the Dolphins using their late first to get Carr. I think Carr is worth more than just a second. Point wise 44 and 75 would be equal to the 27th or 28th pick. They might want our 1st, which at that point I'm not sure I would make the deal. I would be fine with giving up 34 and 75.

I agree that Carr can be an above average QB for us. Not everyone on here is on-board with Carr, but with him being 29 and coming off a really good year, I think he can come close to his 2016 version with our O-line and Mack. If Carr has the necessary help, I think he can push us into contention again.

Good responses above. 

On Carr, I think some of it depends on how Gruden and the FO play it. He peaked last year IMO after getting a decent coach/scheme, and would be expected to be a day one starter. Given his rank in most stats, I just see them wanting a 1st rounder, likely top half. Especially if they try to work out a deal pre-draft. On the day of draft, things get tricky. If they take a top 4 QB, teams behind them that wanted a QB, now have less draft options, and may be more inclined to go after Carr. At the same time, teams know LVR now has 2 QBs and need to move Carr. Regardless, I think they start out asking for top 20 1st rounder. Might accept less on draft day and after. 

16 minutes ago, Hoose said:

Personally, I think you are correct in your assessment of what it would take to get Carr. The Raiders aren't getting a first rounder for him IMO (might require pick 44 and a second rounder next year though instead of a second and third this year). And I am a fan of going after Carr. I like that better than rolling the dice for a rookie, even one as talented as Love or Herbert. 

I'd also take Kinlaw with the 13th pick and grab the best available WR with the 34th. You've then dealt with the team's three most critical positions of need via the draft and FA (love the Hargraves pickup as well). 

I would take another look at all the WR depth you've accumulated. Funchess and Johnson and Fountain plus a FA and a draft pick. And then you have Ty and Pascall and Campbell. Too many. 

Thanks for your hard work on this. Very entertaining. 

With the WR depth, in my head Hilton, Pascal, Campbell, Funchess, and a draft pick would be the 5 locks, with Johnson/FA/Fountain battling for the final spot on the roster. I really thought about letting Funchess walk, but I think they want to give him another chance. If there is no guaranteed money in his contract, they could even cut him before the season. You're not wrong in that 8 WRs might be too many, but I figured it would be better to bring in more and keep the best 5 or 6. 

12 hours ago, Mel Kiper's Hair said:

13 hours ago, WifiGuy said:

I did .   you must have missed it

Love the trade with Philly.  I really believe that if we want a WR in the 1st, trading down and targeting Jefferson or Mims makes a lot of sense.  I think both are going higher that people think, though.  I’m wondering if Jefferson might have become QB2 at the Combine...

12 hours ago, EastStreet said:

NE rotates in young mid round rooks all the time behind Brady. 

Carr doesn't need help like JB did. 

Where do you think Hoyer came from? And the Pats wanted to keep him. And Brady expressed how much he did with helping to prepare.  Signed as UDFA was there 3 yrs and then came back in 17-18 season.   BB . must have thought he was useful.  

Did Luck have a veteran back up?  Yep Hasselbeck

Did Manning have a vet backup?  Yep .  Brock Huard and Jim Sorgi

1 minute ago, WifiGuy said:

Where do you think Hoyer came from? And the Pats wanted to keep him. And Brady expressed how much he did with helping to prepare.  Signed as UDFA was there 3 yrs and then came back in 17-18 season.   BB . must have thought he was useful.  

Did Luck have a veteran back up?  Yep Hasselbeck

Did Manning have a vet backup?  Yep .  Brock Huard and Jim Sorgi

The liked him so much they let him go twice... They liked him because they new him, and he knew the system, and he fit a need at a specific time. An assistant (like we just hired) can also fill that need. And look at all the other QBs BB cycled in and out. 

11 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

The liked him so much they let him go twice... They liked him because they new him, and he knew the system, and he fit a need at a specific time. An assistant (like we just hired) can also fill that need. And look at all the other QBs BB cycled in and out. 

Well I guess we'll find out soon enough.  But I am saying that either JB or Hoyer will be the backup this yr. If they bring in another QB  Both will not be gone 

51 minutes ago, WifiGuy said:

Well I guess we'll find out soon enough.  But I am saying that either JB or Hoyer will be the backup this yr. If they bring in another QB  Both will not be gone 

Well, here’s a what if..... what if they sign a guy like Dalton? And then draft Love? I could definitely see a combo of Dalton, Love and Kelly. Or perhaps this what if.... they keep JB and draft Love? A group of JB, Love and Kelly isn’t out of the question either. I’m not advocating this at all but I also don’t believe either scenario is inconceivable. 

4 hours ago, Caleb3502 said:

Thanks for the responses. I think if the right EDGE player is there in the draft, Ballard will pull the trigger. I think DT is the more pressing need as really Autry and Stewart are the only options on the roster, but with Houston and Sheard's age I can see them grabbing an EDGE. I have high hopes for Turay and Banogu, so that's why I went towards DT over DE. Could definitely take an EDGE in the 4th over another DT.  

Oh I agree, the more pressing need is DT for sure.  But I was just sort of surprised you didn't have them adding a DE in FA, especially when you still had money available.  Perhaps in the draft over another DT as you said.  Of course a LOT could change based on the FA haul they end up getting.  But I thought you did a very nice job overall.

2 hours ago, Hoose said:

Well, here’s a what if..... what if they sign a guy like Dalton? And then draft Love? I could definitely see a combo of Dalton, Love and Kelly. Or perhaps this what if.... they keep JB and draft Love? A group of JB, Love and Kelly isn’t out of the question either. I’m not advocating this at all but I also don’t believe either scenario is inconceivable. 

Because I just cannot see that happening.  Why sign Dalton and draft Love?   Why not keep JB and sign Love?   JB knows the offense, is a great leader and would be a much much better mentor than Dalton in this system.    

17 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Here is a question for everyone, would you guys just simply trade the Raiders our 13th pick for Carr? That would be like drafting Carr 13th basically and we would still have the 34th and 44th picks to get a 3Tech and a WR.

Probably, if the other 4 QBs are off the board already, and that's what it would take.

In the flash mock we did yesterday (I had the Colts), I ended up making a series of trades that netted me Kinlaw at 16, Carr with the 21st, and a WR at 53. Wasn't the 13th I used, but I do think it will take a 1st. 

Archived