Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Update on Daurice Fountain

PeterBowman

31 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

There are a few intriguing young wide receivers on the roster including Fountain. Rodney Adams is back in the fold as well as a 'healthy' Campbell.....who couldn't quite be so unlucky this year.

Even with that being said, I bet Ballard doubles down in this deep draft of receivers. 2 of the first 4 picks probably.

I'll take that bet.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Scott Pennock said:

There are a few intriguing young wide receivers on the roster including Fountain. Rodney Adams is back in the fold as well as a 'healthy' Campbell.....who couldn't quite be so unlucky this year.

Even with that being said, I bet Ballard doubles down in this deep draft of receivers. 2 of the first 4 picks probably.

I dont know if he'll take two, but definitely one before the end of the second round.

4 hours ago, AwesomeAustin said:

I totally agree!!  I never understood the hype about Cain.  Now the attention has turned to Fountain.  The kid is a 5th round pick coming off a major injury that cost him the entire year. If he can contribute as the 5th receiver I will consider it a successful year for him. The kid spent a year on the practice squad, a year on the trainers table and now coming back to a messed up QB situation. Pencil him in for 15-25 receptions and 250yds.  He needs eased into playing time bc he has very little experience. 

As far as the Cain issue, I’m not sure what happened there because it wasn’t just team people, it was reporters, team officials and fans. Everyone reported how good Cain looked. Then he had JB throwing him the Ball and as @EastStreet has said, they tried to move him around instead of putting him in the spot best to succeed in. 

I think the team felt Fountain had a higher ceiling than Cain though when they drafted him. He was just really raw. I look forward to seeing what achievements Fountain has made this offseason. Film, study, weight training and playbook knowledge. We just have to have better QB play this year from someone 

4 hours ago, Jdubu said:

As far as the Cain issue, I’m not sure what happened there because it wasn’t just team people, it was reporters, team officials and fans. Everyone reported how good Cain looked. Then he had JB throwing him the Ball and as @EastStreet has said, they tried to move him around instead of putting him in the spot best to succeed in. 

I think the team felt Fountain had a higher ceiling than Cain though when they drafted him. He was just really raw. I look forward to seeing what achievements Fountain has made this offseason. Film, study, weight training and playbook knowledge. We just have to have better QB play this year from someone 

The Cain hype was ridiculous considering he was coming off a torn ACL. The same with Fountain, he is a 5th rd pick that has missed the last year and seen barely any playing time. If he can contribute as the 5th receiver then he is doing well.  I’m sure people can name some exceptions, but when guys miss an entire year the next one is kind of meh while they acclimate themselves post injury.  I don’t expect much out of Fountain this year and neither should the fans or the front office. 

10 hours ago, AwesomeAustin said:

The Cain hype was ridiculous considering he was coming off a torn ACL. The same with Fountain, he is a 5th rd pick that has missed the last year and seen barely any playing time. If he can contribute as the 5th receiver then he is doing well.  I’m sure people can name some exceptions, but when guys miss an entire year the next one is kind of meh while they acclimate themselves post injury.  I don’t expect much out of Fountain this year and neither should the fans or the front office. 

Normally I would concur, however, the Cain Hype was not being driven from unseen activity from him by the team. These results were being seen on the practice fields by fans and media alike. This wasn’t driven from articles on Colts.com or anything, they were real and tangible from objective observers. 

Fountain had much of the same thing occurring. We seen it, media outlets reported it and of course the pressers always inflated him along the way as well but whereas Cain had talent but off field problems before the draft, he was thought to hold higher round talent if the off fields problems were gone. Those seemed to be gone. Fountain was always thought of as high level talent, needed a lot of coaching. We shall see but his last season before his abrupt injury seems to point to pure positive tract.  

3 hours ago, Jdubu said:

Normally I would concur, however, the Cain Hype was not being driven from unseen activity from him by the team. These results were being seen on the practice fields by fans and media alike. This wasn’t driven from articles on Colts.com or anything, they were real and tangible from objective observers. 

Fountain had much of the same thing occurring. We seen it, media outlets reported it and of course the pressers always inflated him along the way as well but whereas Cain had talent but off field problems before the draft, he was thought to hold higher round talent if the off fields problems were gone. Those seemed to be gone. Fountain was always thought of as high level talent, needed a lot of coaching. We shall see but his last season before his abrupt injury seems to point to pure positive tract.  

Every year the media hypes players trying to predict the next big thing.  They throw a bunch of crap against the wall and see if it sticks. Delone Carter and Mike Hart were the same way. We have seen nothing from Fountain to think he is anything more than a 5th WR.  His first year he was on the practice squad and only playing time he dropped a wide open pass(it happens). 2nd year he has a severe lower injury and misses the season.  He needs to make the team first and contribute when his name is called due to other injuries. He will be nothing more than a backup while he adjust to post injury and gets his first real playing time.  The expectations from fans for this kid need to be real...he is a backup right now.  Let him get his feet wet and play virtually his first season

29 minutes ago, AwesomeAustin said:

Every year the media hypes players trying to predict the next big thing.  They throw a bunch of crap against the wall and see if it sticks. Delone Carter and Mike Hart were the same way. We have seen nothing from Fountain to think he is anything more than a 5th WR.  His first year he was on the practice squad and only playing time he dropped a wide open pass(it happens). 2nd year he has a severe lower injury and misses the season.  He needs to make the team first and contribute when his name is called due to other injuries. He will be nothing more than a backup while he adjust to post injury and gets his first real playing time.  The expectations from fans for this kid need to be real...he is a backup right now.  Let him get his feet wet and play virtually his first season

I don't think I have seen where it was said he was going to be elite. All that was said is he might be a pretty good receiver. What is so unrealistic about that? 

15 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

I don't think I have seen where it was said he was going to be elite. All that was said is he might be a pretty good receiver. What is so unrealistic about that? 

Fountain is coming off a major injury after spending a year on the practice squad. Him being “pretty good” after all that would be the perfect example of the exception, not the rule.  What is so unrealistic about a 5th round draft pick with already a major injury with little to almost no playing experience just expected to come in and contribute as a backup?  To me if he can have 20-30 receptions with 250-350 yards in virtually his first year of playing, that is pretty good and a realistic expectation. 

1 hour ago, AwesomeAustin said:

Well Carter was the fans hyping him not the media.

Hart does not belong in that same category because Hart produced on the field but had injury problems

For Fountain, for an NFL career, a fracture is better than tendon or ligament tears because they usually don't have lasting affects.  Plus, with few exceptions I would trust a 2nd year receiver who has been through 2 training camps over a rookie for the 2020 season

20 minutes ago, AwesomeAustin said:

Fountain is coming off a major injury after spending a year on the practice squad. Him being “pretty good” after all that would be the perfect example of the exception, not the rule.  What is so unrealistic about a 5th round draft pick with already a major injury with little to almost no playing experience just expected to come in and contribute as a backup?  To me if he can have 20-30 receptions with 250-350 yards in virtually his first year of playing, that is pretty good and a realistic expectation. 

With his measurables he was a very nice pick in the 5th round at the time. 

943 YDs and 12 TDs are pretty good numbers

He had just came off being named the offensive MVP of the east-west shrine game so he showed he has the talent.

He did shine in training camp and that in itself is pretty good considering who we had at receiver in those camps.

I am not putting any numbers on him because it makes no difference if he contributes when he hits the field. Being the 3rd or 4th receiver may not be sexy but those positions are essential.  

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/10/2020 at 1:59 PM, Freenyfan102 said:

Why what Ballard thinking 

Fountain is better than Cain he was atleast constantly making plays even that first preseason game before his injury he was making plays Cain had one good day all through TC last year and it was week 2 or 3 of preseason against the browns aside from that game he sucked.

On 3/10/2020 at 11:27 PM, Coffeedrinker said:

Well Carter was the fans hyping him not the media.

Hart does not belong in that same category because Hart produced on the field but had injury problems

For Fountain, for an NFL career, a fracture is better than tendon or ligament tears because they usually don't have lasting affects.  Plus, with few exceptions I would trust a 2nd year receiver who has been through 2 training camps over a rookie for the 2020 season

I think your point on Fountain here is pretty important to understanding Ballard's off-season strategy at WR.  

Initially, I hoped we'd sign a free agent and use a second round pick (preferably 34)...and now it looks like we'll only address WR thru the draft.

Hilton is still young enough to expect a return to form this year.  Campbell, despite the low reps, is expected to emerge and you have to leave space for that opportunity or he won't grow.  Pascal caught 41 balls for 600+ yards....from Brissett.  It's almost a certainty we'll draft a receiver in the 2nd round.  Four roster spots are pretty much locked in.

Back to Fountain...having 2 years in the program, there is every reason to believe Ballard may prefer Fountain as the 5th receiver over an additional drafted rookie or journeyman vet UFA.  I can still see drafting a second WR this year, but am no longer shocked that we didn't re-sign Funchess or chase other UFA receivers. 

Ballard isn't neglecting the position, he's staying the course on development so that the young talent is ready when Hilton departs, and the emergence of Pascal last year was as good or better than anything you could expect from signing a middle tier outside free agent to build a bridge to the rookies.

6 hours ago, ztboiler said:

I think your point on Fountain here is pretty important to understanding Ballard's off-season strategy at WR.  

Initially, I hoped we'd sign a free agent and use a second round pick (preferably 34)...and now it looks like we'll only address WR thru the draft.

Hilton is still young enough to expect a return to form this year.  Campbell, despite the low reps, is expected to emerge and you have to leave space for that opportunity or he won't grow.  Pascal caught 41 balls for 600+ yards....from Brissett.  It's almost a certainty we'll draft a receiver in the 2nd round.  Four roster spots are pretty much locked in.

Back to Fountain...having 2 years in the program, there is every reason to believe Ballard may prefer Fountain as the 5th receiver over an additional drafted rookie or journeyman vet UFA.  I can still see drafting a second WR this year, but am no longer shocked that we didn't re-sign Funchess or chase other UFA receivers. 

Ballard isn't neglecting the position, he's staying the course on development so that the young talent is ready when Hilton departs, and the emergence of Pascal last year was as good or better than anything you could expect from signing a middle tier outside free agent to build a bridge to the rookies.

Good post.

Obviously we don't know what's in Ballard and Reich's head, but I think the situation at WR is way less dire than most think.

Hilton - I'm sure they're tired of him being out, but I also don't think they're giving up on him at Z. He's in a contract year, so he'll get this year to prove he can stay on the field. Even when he does slow, he could end up being very productive from the slot so long as he can stay healthy. Regardless, I just don't see them giving up on him for this year.

Campbell - A lot of unrelated injury bad luck IMO, and not at all representative of his previous years. Given the things Reich and Ballard have said, it's easy to assume they see him as the heir apparent to Z. 

Pascal - should be a #2X or play as big slot. He's not a #1X, and that's why they brought in Funch last year. Regardless, he's a strong and reliable 4th to 6th option. 

Fountain - he's a tweener in terms of positions. I could see him working as X or Z, but I just hope they don't bounce him around like they did with Cain. I think he's most naturally a Z/slot, and having him in that space along with TY and Campbell would create a very strong rotation. I'd love to see sets with TY, Campbell, Fountain, and Hines going vertical a few times a game with Rivers going deep. And like Pascal, a very strong 4th to 6th option, maybe better.

Dulin - I think this guy is really liked by Reich. Thick, but very athletic and fast. He could end up at slot if Campbell has to move out and replace TY. He's also thick enough to work at X if needed. He'll be fighting for a position, but there's a lot to like.

In short, we really just need a legit X with size and speed. And that can be found easy enough in the 2nd or 3rd. I'm betting we use 44. We make take a flyer in the 5th or later if a guy falls they like, but it's a luxury, not a big need.

Archived