Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Update on Daurice Fountain

PeterBowman

2 hours ago, CurBeatElite said:

Yea, I think a lot of people got over-excited about Cain.  Obviously Campbell, Funchess and TY being hurt didn't help much.  Plus it seemed like Ebron regressed from 2018.

Very hard to know if Brissett's play lowered the play of others around him or if our WRs simply weren't that good.  Probably a combo of both..... but what everyone seemed to think the strength of our team (WR corps) prior to last season seemed to be our largest weakness.  

It was Brissett's play. Hilton  was track  for career  lows in yardage 

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, EastStreet said:

ESPN does not show Fountain with any targets. They show other WRs with zero receptions and targets, so not so sure he played.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/boxscore?gameId=401038957

I've checked snap counts on multiple sites, and there is nothing on Fountain.

They are wrong. He played in the Chiefs playoff game in 2018

13 hours ago, EastStreet said:

ESPN does not show Fountain with any targets. They show other WRs with zero receptions and targets, so not so sure he played.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/boxscore?gameId=401038957

I've checked snap counts on multiple sites, and there is nothing on Fountain.

"They didn’t close in any sort of hurry, either. With 34 seconds left and the Colts playing for pride – winning was out of the question – rookie receiver Daurice Fountain found himself alone in the end zone for a pass from Luck. Fountain dropped it. That kind of game."

20 hours ago, Jdubu said:

Lol. Yeah let’s go get Claypool, we can bank on a rookie in the 3rd round instead of a guy that was highly praised prior to his injury and has now been in our system for 2 seasons. Solid logic. And I’d highly doubt he gets “stashed” on the PS squad again. Sometimes I question the logic in posters around here. Now maybe if the kid can’t play during the PS and therefore shows no tape, maybe he could be squaded. 

im high on Fountains 3rd season status and feel he will be a player for us. 

All because you are high on him does not mean we all have to be. Logic and watching Claypool play tells me he is better than Fountain. 

53 minutes ago, Mr.NotSoCreative said:

All because you are high on him does not mean we all have to be. Logic and watching Claypool play tells me he is better than Fountain. 

They would play different positions. Claypool is a possession X. Fountain will likely be a Z/slot. Two very different types of WRs, so not a relevant comparison in terms of who makes the team. Fountain will likely compete to back up TY and Campbell in that Z/slot bucket, while Claypool would be in competition with Funch and Pascal. Fountain could possibly play X, but he'd be a speed/deep X, not possession X like the other two.

3 hours ago, Mr.NotSoCreative said:

My point on logic is that one has been on the nfl team and one has played in college. Both still have potential but one has actually demonstrated what he can do against nfl level play while the other has played in college and didn’t kill it by any means, and I’m a ND fan. I won’t be upset if we get Claypool but let’s not pretend that a college kid is automatically going to come in and overtake anyone on the team currently. That’s my logic. 

23 hours ago, Stephen said:

It was Brissett's play. Hilton  was track  for career  lows in yardage 

TY's played regressed over the course of the year.  He was dealing with a calf injury most of the second half of the season and lost weapons surrounding him who may have helped take pressure off him as well (and given Jacoby more reliable targets).

TY had 6 or more catches in 3 of his first 5 games (with 4 in the other 2) this year.  His yards per catch were down compared to years past, but his catches were higher last year through the first 5 weeks and his total yardage was just about the same compared to last year (306 yards and 30 catches in  2019 vs 319 yards and 25 catches in 2018 thru 5 games).

TY was obviously not 100% this year when he returned from injury.  And without Funchess, Campbell, Ebron and others, there is a very good argument that Brissett didn't really have much talent to throw to.

2 hours ago, Jdubu said:

My point on logic is that one has been on the nfl team and one has played in college. Both still have potential but one has actually demonstrated what he can do against nfl level play while the other has played in college and didn’t kill it by any means, and I’m a ND fan. I won’t be upset if we get Claypool but let’s not pretend that a college kid is automatically going to come in and overtake anyone on the team currently. That’s my logic. 

Im sorry I didn't realize that Fountain had performed well in a game. If over 1000 yds, dozen or more tds against Power 5, ND opponents isnt impressive, you must have high standards. He is not a project either. Not sayin 1st rd talent but better than Fountain, Rogers, and Johnson. 

5 hours ago, EastStreet said:

They would play different positions. Claypool is a possession X. Fountain will likely be a Z/slot. Two very different types of WRs, so not a relevant comparison in terms of who makes the team. Fountain will likely compete to back up TY and Campbell in that Z/slot bucket, while Claypool would be in competition with Funch and Pascal. Fountain could possibly play X, but he'd be a speed/deep X, not possession X like the other two.

Good points. If Fountain is so versatile to play speed/deep X, Z and slot, we are in great shape. I really like Pascal, Funch can get another 10 mil and keep his spot. I just really like the kid and think we could get him on the field is all. 

1 hour ago, Mr.NotSoCreative said:

Good points. If Fountain is so versatile to play speed/deep X, Z and slot, we are in great shape. I really like Pascal, Funch can get another 10 mil and keep his spot. I just really like the kid and think we could get him on the field is all. 

Fountain is/was very raw, and could project in many areas. Classic tweener. I just don't know how well he can play vs the press, and that's big if playing on the line at X. He noticeably polished up his route running, so all the off season time with trainers paid off. I'd love it it he could back up TY/Pascal AND run deep goes on the opposite side too.

I know he's a father, and one of the interviews he did really made me like the kid. Easy to route for. 

3 hours ago, CurBeatElite said:

TY's played regressed over the course of the year.  He was dealing with a calf injury most of the second half of the season and lost weapons surrounding him who may have helped take pressure off him as well (and given Jacoby more reliable targets).

TY had 6 or more catches in 3 of his first 5 games (with 4 in the other 2) this year.  His yards per catch were down compared to years past, but his catches were higher last year through the first 5 weeks and his total yardage was just about the same compared to last year (306 yards and 30 catches in  2019 vs 319 yards and 25 catches in 2018 thru 5 games).

TY was obviously not 100% this year when he returned from injury.  And without Funchess, Campbell, Ebron and others, there is a very good argument that Brissett didn't really have much talent to throw to.

I think his regression (AVGs) was due more to JB than anything else. Everyone regressed from the year before with the exception of Pascal IIRC. And Pascal only jumped because of injuries to others. Keep in mind TY missed 2.5 games in 2018, was hobbled in 4 others, and didn't have Campbell, Funch, or Doyle then either... 

11 hours ago, Mr.NotSoCreative said:

Im sorry I didn't realize that Fountain had performed well in a game. If over 1000 yds, dozen or more tds against Power 5, ND opponents isnt impressive, you must have high standards. He is not a project either. Not sayin 1st rd talent but better than Fountain, Rogers, and Johnson. 

No, no he is not better than Fountain, Rogers or Johnson at this point because currently he hasn’t played against 1 NFL player yet whereas the other 3 have. Please have a better argument next time. He may PROJECT as a better player than these three but until he does it in the nfl, either during his preseason debut or in a game, he isn’t any better than the worst nfl roster receiver currently. And if he is not going in the top 10, he will be a project. Many places I’ve seen list him as a 3rd round pick. That’s called a project. Heck, second rounders are projects. 

like I said, I’m a ND fan, I’ve seen him play almost every game he has been in. I’d take him and be happy that he is on the team and it’s definitely possible he takes off in the league. It’s also possible he never reaches his expected target. Many of them don’t. 

9 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Fountain is/was very raw, and could project in many areas. Classic tweener. I just don't know how well he can play vs the press, and that's big if playing on the line at X. He noticeably polished up his route running, so all the off season time with trainers paid off. I'd love it it he could back up TY/Pascal AND run deep goes on the opposite side too.

I know he's a father, and one of the interviews he did really made me like the kid. Easy to route for. 

I’ve loved what I seen from Pascal too. He just isn’t the burner we need but he is a great player to have on the field. DF has the size and speed we need so if he passes the press ability, he will be something we can work with. At some point, is taking Claypool or any other receiver going to be a luxury pick or does CB see that guy as a major upgrade over the 5th wr currently on the team? 
TY

PC

DF

ZP

MJ

and let’s not forget that CB gushed over the development of Ashton Dulin. 

thats 4-5 pretty quality guys. 3 of them just have to develop, 1 is a star with age and the other two are nice pieces. 

2 hours ago, Jdubu said:

I’ve loved what I seen from Pascal too. He just isn’t the burner we need but he is a great player to have on the field. DF has the size and speed we need so if he passes the press ability, he will be something we can work with. At some point, is taking Claypool or any other receiver going to be a luxury pick or does CB see that guy as a major upgrade over the 5th wr currently on the team? 
TY

PC

DF

ZP

MJ

and let’s not forget that CB gushed over the development of Ashton Dulin. 

thats 4-5 pretty quality guys. 3 of them just have to develop, 1 is a star with age and the other two are nice pieces. 

I agree mostly. WR is not near as bad as some paint it to be. The whole situation last year was way more QB deficiency and injury related than lack of talent. A starting healthy 3 of TY, PC, and DF would be very good, and most teams would take that in a heartbeat. I know there are questions about TY's longevity, PC's ability to stay on the field, and the short term nature of DF, but last year shouldn't be considered "normal" at all. Get a decent QB, and stay healthy, and things could look better than 2018.

I also gush over Dulin's upside. Been a fan since we signed him. He was one of the small school kids I identified pre-draft that would be worth a PS slot. Fast and has all the physical attributes if he can just translate vs tougher Ds. If he improves out of the breaks and general route running, he could be very good. IMO he's a cross between Cain and Fountain in terms of potential. I honestly think they let Cain go with the idea of keeping Dulin.

I'd take Claypool in a heartbeat over both ZP and DF. Personally I'd draft Claypool late, keep ZP, and let Funch walk. I think Claypool  has the size, as good or better speed, and much better hands. He's definitely more "clutch" than Funch ever has been in his career (CFB or NFL). 

14 hours ago, EastStreet said:

I think his regression (AVGs) was due more to JB than anything else. Everyone regressed from the year before with the exception of Pascal IIRC. And Pascal only jumped because of injuries to others. Keep in mind TY missed 2.5 games in 2018, was hobbled in 4 others, and didn't have Campbell, Funch, or Doyle then either... 

I think that is giving credit to JB.  TY had Ebron who was playing at a pro-bowl/near all-pro level (I have a hard time blaming his drops on JB), and Inman who was playing very well.  

Not saying JB is a great QB, I'm saying our receiving/TE category needs an upgrade regardless of who our QB is.  I like Fountain, but I have a hard time thinking we're in good shape going into the season with expectations of him being our #2 WR.

9 minutes ago, CurBeatElite said:

I think that is giving credit to JB.  TY had Ebron who was playing at a pro-bowl/near all-pro level (I have a hard time blaming his drops on JB), and Inman who was playing very well.  

Not saying JB is a great QB, I'm saying our receiving/TE category needs an upgrade regardless of who our QB is.  I like Fountain, but I have a hard time thinking we're in good shape going into the season with expectations of him being our #2 WR.

And they had both Doyle and Ebron in 2019 until Ebron left late. Doyle was a BPer a few years ago too. Add in Hines who was looking great (came close to setting rookie records) in 2018. And Rogers who had his best year ever in 2018 and was Luck's #2 WR.... Literally everyone regressed with JB except Pascal. Ebron had drops too with Luck.

I'm not saying we don't need to improve WR/TE. I was happy CB went early in the draft and brought in a FA last year. I'd be happy if we added more as this year's draft will have great value. I simply don't think we're near as bad as some folks think though.

6 hours ago, EastStreet said:

I agree mostly. WR is not near as bad as some paint it to be. The whole situation last year was way more QB deficiency and injury related than lack of talent. A starting healthy 3 of TY, PC, and DF would be very good, and most teams would take that in a heartbeat. I know there are questions about TY's longevity, PC's ability to stay on the field, and the short term nature of DF, but last year shouldn't be considered "normal" at all. Get a decent QB, and stay healthy, and things could look better than 2018.

I also gush over Dulin's upside. Been a fan since we signed him. He was one of the small school kids I identified pre-draft that would be worth a PS slot. Fast and has all the physical attributes if he can just translate vs tougher Ds. If he improves out of the breaks and general route running, he could be very good. IMO he's a cross between Cain and Fountain in terms of potential. I honestly think they let Cain go with the idea of keeping Dulin.

I'd take Claypool in a heartbeat over both ZP and DF. Personally I'd draft Claypool late, keep ZP, and let Funch walk. I think Claypool  has the size, as good or better speed, and much better hands. He's definitely more "clutch" than Funch ever has been in his career (CFB or NFL). 

When I say DF, I mean Fountain not Funchess. I don’t equate Funch with this 2020 team at all because I feel like he wouldn’t sign again if we don’t have a proven, much better QB added who was named the starter. He is looking for an extended contract and with JB throwing the ball, I doubt he sees a QB that’s going to make him look good. He will sign somewhere with a QB who is higher quality imho. 

I like all the wr’s that ND has produced over these last two seasons. Saying that, Claypool isn’t a sure thing and my point between him and Fountain is that Fountain has been on this team and played against NFL players in practice and preseason. The team knows what they have in his skill set, his work ethic and his maturity on the team. No nfl team has yet to see what Claypool does on and against nfl players. He could very well have dominated against college players but once he gets to more sophisticated systems and much improved talents and real life temptations in the nfl lifestyle, who knows what he will become. For all we know, Claypool signs a deal, gets some money and notoriety around him and parties like it’s 1999 and dismissing that desire to play and practice hard. He may become Jerry Rice 2.0??? 

Imho, 1 bird in the hand is worth 2 in the Bush. The team certainly has needs and can improve many places. I just see this wr stable as pretty good as constructed and not a need for Claypool or any other higher draft pick that will need polished up. If he is there in the 4th, value says you take him and see how he competes with the others but I just don’t see the need for another wr in need of a year or two of polishing. We have that with Fountain, Dulin, Campbell and now that Pascal has started to get his opportunities, him to some degree as well. Throw in the Ace in TY and that’s 5 pretty good guys to start with. 

Just my viewpoint anyway  

13 minutes ago, Jdubu said:

When I say DF, I mean Fountain not Funchess. I don’t equate Funch with this 2020 team at all because I feel like he wouldn’t sign again if we don’t have a proven, much better QB added who was named the starter. He is looking for an extended contract and with JB throwing the ball, I doubt he sees a QB that’s going to make him look good. He will sign somewhere with a QB who is higher quality imho. 

I like all the wr’s that ND has produced over these last two seasons. Saying that, Claypool isn’t a sure thing and my point between him and Fountain is that Fountain has been on this team and played against NFL players in practice and preseason. The team knows what they have in his skill set, his work ethic and his maturity on the team. No nfl team has yet to see what Claypool does on and against nfl players. He could very well have dominated against college players but once he gets to more sophisticated systems and much improved talents and real life temptations in the nfl lifestyle, who knows what he will become. For all we know, Claypool signs a deal, gets some money and notoriety around him and parties like it’s 1999 and dismissing that desire to play and practice hard. He may become Jerry Rice 2.0??? 

Imho, 1 bird in the hand is worth 2 in the Bush. The team certainly has needs and can improve many places. I just see this wr stable as pretty good as constructed and not a need for Claypool or any other higher draft pick that will need polished up. If he is there in the 4th, value says you take him and see how he competes with the others but I just don’t see the need for another wr in need of a year or two of polishing. We have that with Fountain, Dulin, Campbell and now that Pascal has started to get his opportunities, him to some degree as well. Throw in the Ace in TY and that’s 5 pretty good guys to start with. 

Just my viewpoint anyway  

I don't see WR as a dire need either, and I likely wouldn't take Claypool until the 5th.

BTW, Fountain and Dulin were both raw, and from small schools. That's not Claypool's MO.

I would be very happy with this going into next season as our WR group.

TY, Campbell, pascal, draft pick, Funchess, Johnson or Fountain.   If we don’t get Funchess back then pick a bigger WR in the draft. That allows Fountain and Johnson to both make the team. Unless we have bad injuries like this past season that is a dang good WR group.  Johnson is fast and a entire season next to TY he could be really good. He is still young too. I think we will keep 6 again after what happened last year.

i really only think we need one WR in the draft. I don’t even think we need one in FA if Funchess does not come back.  

On 2/11/2020 at 11:44 AM, Myles said:

Sometimes "elite" talent depends on other players.   Ebron was "elite" in 2018, with 13 TD's.   Hilton was "elite" in 2018 with 90.7 yards a game.   Only 50 yards per game in 2019.

I suppose currently this Colts team only has 3 players who can be called "elite".

Nelson

Leonard

Hilton

i cant think of any others who would be called elite, maybe houston

20 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

This is just the latest example of why I pay less attention to CBS Sports draft coverage.

Anyone here think Derrick Brown is going to last to pick 13?    Anyone?   Anyone at all?    Yeah, me neither!

And I’d be thrilled if this happened!  Be delighted to be wrong!   The odds are microscopically small. 

Anything is possible. All it takes is 5 teams who want QB’s and willing to get in front of us. A few wr’s, OT’s a LB’er, S and a CB and maybe one of the DE’s. And then there is always that one * team that is smarter (in their opinion) than everyone else who evaluates players and takes a guy most think is a late 2nd rd pick up. 

im not sure how far below the evaluation level that Kinlaw is below Brown so I think I’d be happy with either one. 

1 hour ago, Jdubu said:

Anything is possible. All it takes is 5 teams who want QB’s and willing to get in front of us. A few wr’s, OT’s a LB’er, S and a CB and maybe one of the DE’s. And then there is always that one * team that is smarter (in their opinion) than everyone else who evaluates players and takes a guy most think is a late 2nd rd pick up. 

im not sure how far below the evaluation level that Kinlaw is below Brown so I think I’d be happy with either one. 

I’m with you on the idea of nit quite sure who us better, Brown or Kinlaw?

I’d be thrilled if we were able to draft either one?   Seriously, thrilled!   

I’d be happy to take a QB at 34 and a WR at 44.   And perhaps a TE in R3.

This all assumes that AC re-signs. 

Either way, I’d love to go DL in R1. 

For those who believe the Colts don't need a WR in the draft, I have to seriously disagree. Aside from TY, the ability to separate from coverage was almost completely lacking. This is only going to be fixed with an infusion of talent. This draft supposedly has the best group of WRs in a long long time. Drafting a WR is a huge need.... and the Colts will be doing it Day 1 or 2. 

2 minutes ago, Hoose said:

For those who believe the Colts don't need a WR in the draft, I have to seriously disagree. Aside from TY, the ability to separate from coverage was almost completely lacking. This is only going to be fixed with an infusion of talent. This draft supposedly has the best group of WRs in a long long time. Drafting a WR is a huge need.... and the Colts will be doing it Day 1 or 2. 

I guess you missed all the all-22 footage too showing wide open WRs and TEs.

Also our TE group was best in the league in separation. Doyle was top 10 (as high as 4th in some stat providers) among all WRs and TEs, and Ebron was very good as well. Both better than TY.

And specific to WRs, TY typically has better separation stats because he's playing Z (motions more than other WRs). Pascal was very close to TY's separation stat (2.8 vs 3.0)

7 minutes ago, Hoose said:

I stand by my statement. For the record, though, do you think the Colts are fine with their current crop of WRs? 

You can stand buy things all day long, but several folks on this site spent a ton of time going through all-22 tape and posting captures debunking the whole "no separation" and "no open pass catcher" narratives. Quite simply, tape doesn't lie.

As far as the current crop of WRs are concerned.... A healthy TY, Funch, and Campbell, is a very good/strong starting 3. Keyword though is health. I lean towards giving TY one more year before giving up on him being able to stay healthy. Campbell had a bunch of "different" injuries, so I don't really have big concerns there. Based on Ballard's remarks, I'm going to assume we re-sign Funch (and his injury was freakish). Pascal is a good #4 or 5 depth piece. Fountain has a lot of upside and we don't know what we have just yet. Dulin also has the physical measurables to warrant a strong look.

As far as the draft/FA. I absolutely want to take at least one, perhaps two WRs. But none early. Two definitely if we don't re-sign Funch (which is my preference). And more than anything, we need an upgrade at QB that raises the level of play instead of regressing it.

On 2/19/2020 at 6:12 PM, Hoose said:

Totally disagree  with your statement on lack of separation. What more proof do you need than fil? You can disagree till hell freezes over but you will still be wrong.

• 3 weeks later...

There are sure a lot of negative comments made about Fountain. 

Sorry, I will trust the coaching crew more than any of you about the talent level of a player who has not even played a season yet. 

Assuming Fountain is a bad player is a mistake. 

Also, he don't have to be elite to be a starter and contribute either. 

1 hour ago, crazycolt1 said:

There are sure a lot of negative comments made about Fountain. 

Sorry, I will trust the coaching crew more than any of you about the talent level of a player who has not even played a season yet. 

Assuming Fountain is a bad player is a mistake. 

Also, he don't have to be elite to be a starter and contribute either. 

I’m on the Fountain train. I think he has been in the system now going on 3rd season. He was a project with lots of upside and had to sort that out year 1. By everyone’s account, he was ready to really step up and have playing time in 2019 but a setback with injury happened. Now, in his third season in the system, film study, nfl coaching and conditioning and strength training, DF should have as good a chance to make an impact now as any 1st round rookie coming in might. Add in Campbell hopefully all fully healed from a hellish rookie year and Pascal being the steady pass catcher on the team and we should be just fine. TY needs to be healthy and stay healthy or if move on from his contract for the 2021 season. Too much lower body issues for a speedster and 30+ to tie up lots of cash to. 

1 hour ago, Jdubu said:

I’m on the Fountain train. I think he has been in the system now going on 3rd season. He was a project with lots of upside and had to sort that out year 1. By everyone’s account, he was ready to really step up and have playing time in 2019 but a setback with injury happened. Now, in his third season in the system, film study, nfl coaching and conditioning and strength training, DF should have as good a chance to make an impact now as any 1st round rookie coming in might. Add in Campbell hopefully all fully healed from a hellish rookie year and Pascal being the steady pass catcher on the team and we should be just fine. TY needs to be healthy and stay healthy or if move on from his contract for the 2021 season. Too much lower body issues for a speedster and 30+ to tie up lots of cash to. 

I wouldn't say I'm on the Fountain train, but I'm very optimistic about him. Given his measurables, coaches comments last season pre-injury, and just overall vibe, I really like his chances. I just hope they don't bounce him around position wise like Cain.

A Z/slot group of TY, Campbell, and Fountain could be outstanding if the health/injury gods are good to us. 

52 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I wouldn't say I'm on the Fountain train, but I'm very optimistic about him. Given his measurables, coaches comments last season pre-injury, and just overall vibe, I really like his chances. I just hope they don't bounce him around position wise like Cain.

A Z/slot group of TY, Campbell, and Fountain could be outstanding if the health/injury gods are good to us. 

My main point is, we have seen Fountain in camps, practices and through a couple offseasons now. Coaches know his habits and work ethics. He either is on the good side of that or bad. He obviously has skill sets the team liked as a rookie and has now had time to display them. This, imho, is a leg up on any new rookie. The new guy may have skills but has no work ethic or isn’t coachable etc... Fountain could be an accelerated project, nearing completion, whereas a new guy has several questions that only get answered once on the team. That’s why I’m on the Fountain train, I feel like the brass really liked what they have with DF before he got all broken up prior to the season. 

9 minutes ago, Jdubu said:

My main point is, we have seen Fountain in camps, practices and through a couple offseasons now. Coaches know his habits and work ethics. He either is on the good side of that or bad. He obviously has skill sets the team liked as a rookie and has now had time to display them. This, imho, is a leg up on any new rookie. The new guy may have skills but has no work ethic or isn’t coachable etc... Fountain could be an accelerated project, nearing completion, whereas a new guy has several questions that only get answered once on the team. That’s why I’m on the Fountain train, I feel like the brass really liked what they have with DF before he got all broken up prior to the season. 

Oh I agree with everything you said, I'm just a bit cautious given what we saw with Cain. IMO, Cain's chances were severely weakened by 1) JB as the QB, and 2) the coaches bouncing him around from X to Z and trying to make a possession WR out of him. If Fountain has to deal with either of those situations, or both, he could be another casualty.

1 hour ago, EastStreet said:

Oh I agree with everything you said, I'm just a bit cautious given what we saw with Cain. IMO, Cain's chances were severely weakened by 1) JB as the QB, and 2) the coaches bouncing him around from X to Z and trying to make a possession WR out of him. If Fountain has to deal with either of those situations, or both, he could be another casualty.

I totally agree!!  I never understood the hype about Cain.  Now the attention has turned to Fountain.  The kid is a 5th round pick coming off a major injury that cost him the entire year. If he can contribute as the 5th receiver I will consider it a successful year for him. The kid spent a year on the practice squad, a year on the trainers table and now coming back to a messed up QB situation. Pencil him in for 15-25 receptions and 250yds.  He needs eased into playing time bc he has very little experience. 

8 minutes ago, AwesomeAustin said:

I totally agree!!  I never understood the hype about Cain.  Now the attention has turned to Fountain.  The kid is a 5th round pick coming off a major injury that cost him the entire year. If he can contribute as the 5th receiver I will consider it a successful year for him. The kid spent a year on the practice squad, a year on the trainers table and now coming back to a messed up QB situation. Pencil him in for 15-25 receptions and 250yds.  He needs eased into playing time bc he has very little experience. 

Yup. Although I'm not so much worried about easing him in, as just developing him based on his skill set. No overload or drastic changes. Let him do what he does well first, and let him polish and become well rounded over time. If he catches on fast, fine, but don't ask too much too soon. They totally overloaded Cain and asked him to do what he's never done, instead of letting him do what he's always been good at.

There are a few intriguing young wide receivers on the roster including Fountain. Rodney Adams is back in the fold as well as a 'healthy' Campbell.....who couldn't quite be so unlucky this year.

Even with that being said, I bet Ballard doubles down in this deep draft of receivers. 2 of the first 4 picks probably.

Archived