Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Sign in to follow this  
PeterBowman

Update on Daurice Fountain

Recommended Posts

Daurice Fountain implied he's recovered from last year's ankle surgery.

He missed all of 2019 after suffering a dislocated ankle in training camp. "Back on field this week, praise the LORD. It’s been a long time coming," Fountain tweeted Monday. Fountain didn't get into any specifics, though clearly the 24-year-old's health is trending in the right direction following what could have been a career-threatening injury. The 2018 fifth-rounder has yet to play an NFL down but was turning heads before his injury last summer.

SOURCE: Daurice Fountain on Twitter

Feb 10, 2020, 12:10 PM ET

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hopefully him and Turay come back strong. Turay seems to be ahead of schedule.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, CheezyColt said:

Daurice Fountain implied he's recovered from last year's ankle surgery.

He missed all of 2019 after suffering a dislocated ankle in training camp. "Back on field this week, praise the LORD. It’s been a long time coming," Fountain tweeted Monday. Fountain didn't get into any specifics, though clearly the 24-year-old's health is trending in the right direction following what could have been a career-threatening injury. The 2018 fifth-rounder has yet to play an NFL down but was turning heads before his injury last summer.

SOURCE: Daurice Fountain on Twitter

Feb 10, 2020, 12:10 PM ET

I think that article is wrong didn't he play late 2018?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Shepman said:

I think that article is wrong didn't he play late 2018?

He did.  I vividly remember his wide open dropped pass in the endzone.  Aside from that it's been pretty forgettable though, so I don't fault them too much for not knowing, haha.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Freenyfan102 said:

Don't resign him

He is already signed. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Freenyfan102 said:

Why what Ballard thinking 

That he is 10,000 X smarter than you. 
1. rookie

2. showed immense talent until the injury

3. cheap

4. he has all the tools you want in today’s nfl. 
 

why would YOU not sign him? 

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, CheezyColt said:

He did.  I vividly remember his wide open dropped pass in the endzone.  Aside from that it's been pretty forgettable though, so I don't fault them too much for not knowing, haha.

I remember the drop for sure, but it seems to me he put a great out and up move on their CB to get that wide open, I could be wrong though!? So at least he stuck the route - just got wide eyed at scoring a TD on his first reception and in a playoff game. Lol

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

I remember the drop for sure, but it seems to me he put a great out and up move on their CB to get that wide open, I could be wrong though!? So at least he stuck the route - just got wide eyed at scoring a TD on his first reception and in a playoff game. Lol

Yeah, I remember the praise for the route.  I mean, he was by himself, lol.  It was just an awful, awful drop.  But I hope he can get and stay healthy so we can see what he can do now that he's had some development.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

I remember the drop for sure, but it seems to me he put a great out and up move on their CB to get that wide open, I could be wrong though!? So at least he stuck the route - just got wide eyed at scoring a TD on his first reception and in a playoff game. Lol

Big big nerves on that wide open toss. I won’t hold 1 drop against the kid unless he shows a pattern of it. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Freenyfan102 said:

Why what Ballard thinking 

He is signed for four years when he was drafted.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

He is signed for four years when he was drafted.

Which got negated when he was cut and signed to the practice squad and made to a RFA

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, twfish said:

Which got negated when he was cut and signed to the practice squad and made to a RFA

Your right. I forgot about that. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They'll bring him back at least for training camp and hopefully he has been putting in the work with the rehab and everything. He could be quality depth at the WR position

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Scott Pennock said:

I remember the drop for sure, but it seems to me he put a great out and up move on their CB to get that wide open, I could be wrong though!? So at least he stuck the route - just got wide eyed at scoring a TD on his first reception and in a playoff game. Lol

Wasn't that in the KC playoff game?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Nate! said:

Deon Cain 2.0.  All hype.

He is a good route runner unlike Cain.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You sure it wasn't a preseason game?  Pro-Football reference has no stats on him at all.   They are usually pretty good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Scott Pennock said:

Yessir

ESPN does not show Fountain with any targets. They show other WRs with zero receptions and targets, so not so sure he played.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/boxscore?gameId=401038957

30 minutes ago, Myles said:

You sure it wasn't a preseason game?  Pro-Football reference has no stats on him at all.   They are usually pretty good.

I've checked snap counts on multiple sites, and there is nothing on Fountain.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

will not be a game changer just average if he even stays around, ballards system of filling the roster shows a glaring lack of elite game changers, can we win without elite game changers? ballard seems to think we can win with low dollar talent, the jury is still out on his method as we sink lower in our division

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, DEFENSE said:

will not be a game changer just average if he even stays around, ballards system of filling the roster shows a glaring lack of elite game changers, can we win without elite game changers? ballard seems to think we can win with low dollar talent, the jury is still out on his method as we sink lower in our division

Most thought TY was low dollar talent picked late in the 3rd round. 4x Pro Bowl.

Not saying Fountain is going to be great, but it's far to early to judge.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Most thought TY was low dollar talent picked late in the 3rd round. 4x Pro Bowl.

Not saying Fountain is going to be great, but it's far to early to judge.

you study football more than i do and i hope you are right, we need more elite talent on this team

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was a big fan of Fountain’s coming out of college.  He had a monster camp last year, and I really expected him to battle Funchess for that #2 WR role.  As of today, he will come into camp as WR2 for us IMO, unless we sign an outside FA...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, DEFENSE said:

you study football more than i do and i hope you are right, we need more elite talent on this team

WRs, more than any other position, can come out of nowhere. Don't get me wrong, I'd love a first round stud, but right now we have other priorities. I do like Fountain's measureables, but he was very raw. He looked to have polished things up quite a bit in preseason (he spent a lot of time with trainers). His route running was noticeably improved. Again, not saying he's going to be a stud. But he does have the physical traits to be very good. Winning the MVP at the Senior Bowl wasn't a fluke IMO.

 

At worst, I think he'd be a great back up for TY and Campbell in the Z/Slot space. Not sure how he is against the press, but maybe even a fit at deep X. He's got 4.4s speed and a great vert. If he can run good routes and catch the ball, I like his chances.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DEFENSE said:

you study football more than i do and i hope you are right, we need more elite talent on this team

Sometimes "elite" talent depends on other players.   Ebron was "elite" in 2018, with 13 TD's.   Hilton was "elite" in 2018 with 90.7 yards a game.   Only 50 yards per game in 2019.

I suppose currently this Colts team only has 3 players who can be called "elite".

Nelson

Leonard

Hilton

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, AwesomeAustin said:

Hope he gets healthy but I doubt he makes much of an impact. He should be no more than a 4th or 5th receiver

 

I think he's got a lot more potential than Rogers.  

2 hours ago, EastStreet said:

ESPN does not show Fountain with any targets. They show other WRs with zero receptions and targets, so not so sure he played.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/boxscore?gameId=401038957

I've checked snap counts on multiple sites, and there is nothing on Fountain.

 

This article says "With 34 seconds left and the Colts playing for pride – winning was out of the question – rookie receiver Daurice Fountain found himself alone in the end zone for a pass from Luck. Fountain dropped it. That kind of game."  

 

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nfl/colts/2019/01/12/nfl-playoffs-colts-unravel-31-13-loss-kansas-city-chiefs/2562609002/

 

Kinda weird though because I can't find video of it anywhere and ESPN doesn't even have a game recap -- maybe Irsay paid someone to just delete that memory from internet:  https://www.espn.com/nfl/recap?gameId=401038957

 

2 hours ago, Archer said:

I was a big fan of Fountain’s coming out of college.  He had a monster camp last year, and I really expected him to battle Funchess for that #2 WR role.  As of today, he will come into camp as WR2 for us IMO, unless we sign an outside FA...

 

Sounds like they are going to try to get Funchess back.  It'd be nice to see Fountain improve and be a #2, but I really hope the franchise isn't relying on that to happen.  IMO, we need to address the WR position and give TY someone who can take pressure off him.  We were 1-5 with TY out of the line up.  It clearly showed most games when he was out that we were weak at WR.

 

47 minutes ago, Myles said:

Sometimes "elite" talent depends on other players.   Ebron was "elite" in 2018, with 13 TD's.   Hilton was "elite" in 2018 with 90.7 yards a game.   Only 50 yards per game in 2019.

I suppose currently this Colts team only has 3 players who can be called "elite".

Nelson

Leonard

Hilton

 

 

 

Hard to say with TY last year -- his stats were down, part of that is likely due to Brissett, but his numbers seemed to tail off as the season went on -- I don't think he was fully healthy later in the year, plus he had few legit weapons around him.

 

In terms of elite players, I have a hard time right now saying anyone outside Leonard and Big Q.  If those 2 stay healthy, they should both be HOFers.  The only other player on team that I think is also a lock for HOF is Vinatieri even though he had a very bad year last year.  Houston, if he stays healthy for a few more years and gets above 115-120 sacks has a shot (he's at 89.5 now).  Otherwise, I'd call players like TY very good, but not at that HOF level.

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, CurBeatElite said:

 

I think he's got a lot more potential than Rogers.  

 

This article says "With 34 seconds left and the Colts playing for pride – winning was out of the question – rookie receiver Daurice Fountain found himself alone in the end zone for a pass from Luck. Fountain dropped it. That kind of game."  

 

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nfl/colts/2019/01/12/nfl-playoffs-colts-unravel-31-13-loss-kansas-city-chiefs/2562609002/

 

Kinda weird though because I can't find video of it anywhere and ESPN doesn't even have a game recap -- maybe Irsay paid someone to just delete that memory from internet:  https://www.espn.com/nfl/recap?gameId=401038957

 

 

Sounds like they are going to try to get Funchess back.  It'd be nice to see Fountain improve and be a #2, but I really hope the franchise isn't relying on that to happen.  IMO, we need to address the WR position and give TY someone who can take pressure off him.  We were 1-5 with TY out of the line up.  It clearly showed most games when he was out that we were weak at WR.

 

 

Hard to say with TY last year -- his stats were down, part of that is likely due to Brissett, but his numbers seemed to tail off as the season went on -- I don't think he was fully healthy later in the year, plus he had few legit weapons around him.

 

In terms of elite players, I have a hard time right now saying anyone outside Leonard and Big Q.  If those 2 stay healthy, they should both be HOFers.  The only other player on team that I think is also a lock for HOF is Vinatieri even though he had a very bad year last year.  Houston, if he stays healthy for a few more years and gets above 115-120 sacks has a shot (he's at 89.5 now).  Otherwise, I'd call players like TY very good, but not at that HOF level.

 

 

Took some digging but I found it

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/F/FounDa00/gamelog/post/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daurice_Fountain

 

Quote

On December 7 2018, Fountain was promoted to the active roster.[5]

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, CurBeatElite said:

 

 

 

 

Hard to say with TY last year -- his stats were down, part of that is likely due to Brissett, but his numbers seemed to tail off as the season went on -- I don't think he was fully healthy later in the year, plus he had few legit weapons around him.

 

In terms of elite players, I have a hard time right now saying anyone outside Leonard and Big Q.  If those 2 stay healthy, they should both be HOFers.  The only other player on team that I think is also a lock for HOF is Vinatieri even though he had a very bad year last year.  Houston, if he stays healthy for a few more years and gets above 115-120 sacks has a shot (he's at 89.5 now).  Otherwise, I'd call players like TY very good, but not at that HOF level.

 

 

I'm keeping Hilton in the elite category because of his 2018 numbers.   Had he played 16 games instead of 14, he may have had 1451 yards receiving and 87 catches.

 

image.png.c08d6f3cd9c24118eef8aea80ee191d3.png

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, CurBeatElite said:

Sounds like they are going to try to get Funchess back.  It'd be nice to see Fountain improve and be a #2, but I really hope the franchise isn't relying on that to happen.  IMO, we need to address the WR position and give TY someone who can take pressure off him.  We were 1-5 with TY out of the line up.  It clearly showed most games when he was out that we were weak at WR.

 

Yeah, I don't disagree with you there.  I like Fountain a lot, but we seemed to have a loaded WR room to start TC last year, and almost nothing worked out for us.  Now, I'd expect to have better WR play by far in 2020 just due to better health, but I still have us possibly re-signing Funchess and drafting a WR on the 1st or 2nd day, just to make sure we have enough weapons...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Glad hes recovering well but we should all know that tc darlings arent what you want to bank on. Would rather draft Claypool and say buh bye to Funchess and stash Fountain again on ps.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Mr.NotSoCreative said:

Glad hes recovering well but we should all know that tc darlings arent what you want to bank on. Would rather draft Claypool and say buh bye to Funchess and stash Fountain again on ps.

Lol. Yeah let’s go get Claypool, we can bank on a rookie in the 3rd round instead of a guy that was highly praised prior to his injury and has now been in our system for 2 seasons. Solid logic. And I’d highly doubt he gets “stashed” on the PS squad again. Sometimes I question the logic in posters around here. Now maybe if the kid can’t play during the PS and therefore shows no tape, maybe he could be squaded. 
 

im high on Fountains 3rd season status and feel he will be a player for us. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Archer said:

 

Yeah, I don't disagree with you there.  I like Fountain a lot, but we seemed to have a loaded WR room to start TC last year, and almost nothing worked out for us.  Now, I'd expect to have better WR play by far in 2020 just due to better health, but I still have us possibly re-signing Funchess and drafting a WR on the 1st or 2nd day, just to make sure we have enough weapons...

 

Yea, I think a lot of people got over-excited about Cain.  Obviously Campbell, Funchess and TY being hurt didn't help much.  Plus it seemed like Ebron regressed from 2018.

 

Very hard to know if Brissett's play lowered the play of others around him or if our WRs simply weren't that good.  Probably a combo of both..... but what everyone seemed to think the strength of our team (WR corps) prior to last season seemed to be our largest weakness.  

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Nate! said:

Deon Cain 2.0.  All hype.

Brissett  was throwing  the ball. He makes most wrs look bad

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...