Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Update on Daurice Fountain

PeterBowman

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Daurice Fountain implied he's recovered from last year's ankle surgery.

He missed all of 2019 after suffering a dislocated ankle in training camp. "Back on field this week, praise the LORD. It’s been a long time coming," Fountain tweeted Monday. Fountain didn't get into any specifics, though clearly the 24-year-old's health is trending in the right direction following what could have been a career-threatening injury. The 2018 fifth-rounder has yet to play an NFL down but was turning heads before his injury last summer.

SOURCE: Daurice Fountain on Twitter

Feb 10, 2020, 12:10 PM ET

10 minutes ago, CheezyColt said:

Daurice Fountain implied he's recovered from last year's ankle surgery.

He missed all of 2019 after suffering a dislocated ankle in training camp. "Back on field this week, praise the LORD. It’s been a long time coming," Fountain tweeted Monday. Fountain didn't get into any specifics, though clearly the 24-year-old's health is trending in the right direction following what could have been a career-threatening injury. The 2018 fifth-rounder has yet to play an NFL down but was turning heads before his injury last summer.

SOURCE: Daurice Fountain on Twitter

Feb 10, 2020, 12:10 PM ET

I think that article is wrong didn't he play late 2018?

Just now, Freenyfan102 said:

Why what Ballard thinking 

That he is 10,000 X smarter than you. 
1. rookie

2. showed immense talent until the injury

3. cheap

4. he has all the tools you want in today’s nfl. 

why would YOU not sign him? 

42 minutes ago, CheezyColt said:

He did.  I vividly remember his wide open dropped pass in the endzone.  Aside from that it's been pretty forgettable though, so I don't fault them too much for not knowing, haha.

I remember the drop for sure, but it seems to me he put a great out and up move on their CB to get that wide open, I could be wrong though!? So at least he stuck the route - just got wide eyed at scoring a TD on his first reception and in a playoff game. Lol

17 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

I remember the drop for sure, but it seems to me he put a great out and up move on their CB to get that wide open, I could be wrong though!? So at least he stuck the route - just got wide eyed at scoring a TD on his first reception and in a playoff game. Lol

Yeah, I remember the praise for the route.  I mean, he was by himself, lol.  It was just an awful, awful drop.  But I hope he can get and stay healthy so we can see what he can do now that he's had some development.

21 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

Big big nerves on that wide open toss. I won’t hold 1 drop against the kid unless he shows a pattern of it. 

7 hours ago, Scott Pennock said:

Wasn't that in the KC playoff game?

9 hours ago, Scott Pennock said:

Yessir

ESPN does not show Fountain with any targets. They show other WRs with zero receptions and targets, so not so sure he played.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/boxscore?gameId=401038957

30 minutes ago, Myles said:

You sure it wasn't a preseason game?  Pro-Football reference has no stats on him at all.   They are usually pretty good.

I've checked snap counts on multiple sites, and there is nothing on Fountain.

will not be a game changer just average if he even stays around, ballards system of filling the roster shows a glaring lack of elite game changers, can we win without elite game changers? ballard seems to think we can win with low dollar talent, the jury is still out on his method as we sink lower in our division

9 minutes ago, DEFENSE said:

will not be a game changer just average if he even stays around, ballards system of filling the roster shows a glaring lack of elite game changers, can we win without elite game changers? ballard seems to think we can win with low dollar talent, the jury is still out on his method as we sink lower in our division

Most thought TY was low dollar talent picked late in the 3rd round. 4x Pro Bowl.

Not saying Fountain is going to be great, but it's far to early to judge.

I was a big fan of Fountain’s coming out of college.  He had a monster camp last year, and I really expected him to battle Funchess for that #2 WR role.  As of today, he will come into camp as WR2 for us IMO, unless we sign an outside FA...

17 minutes ago, DEFENSE said:

you study football more than i do and i hope you are right, we need more elite talent on this team

WRs, more than any other position, can come out of nowhere. Don't get me wrong, I'd love a first round stud, but right now we have other priorities. I do like Fountain's measureables, but he was very raw. He looked to have polished things up quite a bit in preseason (he spent a lot of time with trainers). His route running was noticeably improved. Again, not saying he's going to be a stud. But he does have the physical traits to be very good. Winning the MVP at the Senior Bowl wasn't a fluke IMO.

At worst, I think he'd be a great back up for TY and Campbell in the Z/Slot space. Not sure how he is against the press, but maybe even a fit at deep X. He's got 4.4s speed and a great vert. If he can run good routes and catch the ball, I like his chances.

1 hour ago, DEFENSE said:

you study football more than i do and i hope you are right, we need more elite talent on this team

Sometimes "elite" talent depends on other players.   Ebron was "elite" in 2018, with 13 TD's.   Hilton was "elite" in 2018 with 90.7 yards a game.   Only 50 yards per game in 2019.

I suppose currently this Colts team only has 3 players who can be called "elite".

Nelson

Leonard

Hilton

14 hours ago, AwesomeAustin said:

Hope he gets healthy but I doubt he makes much of an impact. He should be no more than a 4th or 5th receiver

I think he's got a lot more potential than Rogers.  

2 hours ago, EastStreet said:

ESPN does not show Fountain with any targets. They show other WRs with zero receptions and targets, so not so sure he played.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/boxscore?gameId=401038957

I've checked snap counts on multiple sites, and there is nothing on Fountain.

This article says "With 34 seconds left and the Colts playing for pride – winning was out of the question – rookie receiver Daurice Fountain found himself alone in the end zone for a pass from Luck. Fountain dropped it. That kind of game."  

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nfl/colts/2019/01/12/nfl-playoffs-colts-unravel-31-13-loss-kansas-city-chiefs/2562609002/

Kinda weird though because I can't find video of it anywhere and ESPN doesn't even have a game recap -- maybe Irsay paid someone to just delete that memory from internet:  https://www.espn.com/nfl/recap?gameId=401038957

2 hours ago, Archer said:

I was a big fan of Fountain’s coming out of college.  He had a monster camp last year, and I really expected him to battle Funchess for that #2 WR role.  As of today, he will come into camp as WR2 for us IMO, unless we sign an outside FA...

Sounds like they are going to try to get Funchess back.  It'd be nice to see Fountain improve and be a #2, but I really hope the franchise isn't relying on that to happen.  IMO, we need to address the WR position and give TY someone who can take pressure off him.  We were 1-5 with TY out of the line up.  It clearly showed most games when he was out that we were weak at WR.

47 minutes ago, Myles said:

Sometimes "elite" talent depends on other players.   Ebron was "elite" in 2018, with 13 TD's.   Hilton was "elite" in 2018 with 90.7 yards a game.   Only 50 yards per game in 2019.

I suppose currently this Colts team only has 3 players who can be called "elite".

Nelson

Leonard

Hilton

Hard to say with TY last year -- his stats were down, part of that is likely due to Brissett, but his numbers seemed to tail off as the season went on -- I don't think he was fully healthy later in the year, plus he had few legit weapons around him.

In terms of elite players, I have a hard time right now saying anyone outside Leonard and Big Q.  If those 2 stay healthy, they should both be HOFers.  The only other player on team that I think is also a lock for HOF is Vinatieri even though he had a very bad year last year.  Houston, if he stays healthy for a few more years and gets above 115-120 sacks has a shot (he's at 89.5 now).  Otherwise, I'd call players like TY very good, but not at that HOF level.

13 minutes ago, CurBeatElite said:

I think he's got a lot more potential than Rogers.  

This article says "With 34 seconds left and the Colts playing for pride – winning was out of the question – rookie receiver Daurice Fountain found himself alone in the end zone for a pass from Luck. Fountain dropped it. That kind of game."  

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nfl/colts/2019/01/12/nfl-playoffs-colts-unravel-31-13-loss-kansas-city-chiefs/2562609002/

Kinda weird though because I can't find video of it anywhere and ESPN doesn't even have a game recap -- maybe Irsay paid someone to just delete that memory from internet:  https://www.espn.com/nfl/recap?gameId=401038957

Sounds like they are going to try to get Funchess back.  It'd be nice to see Fountain improve and be a #2, but I really hope the franchise isn't relying on that to happen.  IMO, we need to address the WR position and give TY someone who can take pressure off him.  We were 1-5 with TY out of the line up.  It clearly showed most games when he was out that we were weak at WR.

Hard to say with TY last year -- his stats were down, part of that is likely due to Brissett, but his numbers seemed to tail off as the season went on -- I don't think he was fully healthy later in the year, plus he had few legit weapons around him.

In terms of elite players, I have a hard time right now saying anyone outside Leonard and Big Q.  If those 2 stay healthy, they should both be HOFers.  The only other player on team that I think is also a lock for HOF is Vinatieri even though he had a very bad year last year.  Houston, if he stays healthy for a few more years and gets above 115-120 sacks has a shot (he's at 89.5 now).  Otherwise, I'd call players like TY very good, but not at that HOF level.

Took some digging but I found it

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/F/FounDa00/gamelog/post/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daurice_Fountain

On December 7 2018, Fountain was promoted to the active roster.[5]

21 minutes ago, CurBeatElite said:

I'm keeping Hilton in the elite category because of his 2018 numbers.   Had he played 16 games instead of 14, he may have had 1451 yards receiving and 87 catches.

image.png.c08d6f3cd9c24118eef8aea80ee191d3.png

1 hour ago, CurBeatElite said:

Yeah, I don't disagree with you there.  I like Fountain a lot, but we seemed to have a loaded WR room to start TC last year, and almost nothing worked out for us.  Now, I'd expect to have better WR play by far in 2020 just due to better health, but I still have us possibly re-signing Funchess and drafting a WR on the 1st or 2nd day, just to make sure we have enough weapons...

19 minutes ago, Mr.NotSoCreative said:

Glad hes recovering well but we should all know that tc darlings arent what you want to bank on. Would rather draft Claypool and say buh bye to Funchess and stash Fountain again on ps.

Lol. Yeah let’s go get Claypool, we can bank on a rookie in the 3rd round instead of a guy that was highly praised prior to his injury and has now been in our system for 2 seasons. Solid logic. And I’d highly doubt he gets “stashed” on the PS squad again. Sometimes I question the logic in posters around here. Now maybe if the kid can’t play during the PS and therefore shows no tape, maybe he could be squaded. 

im high on Fountains 3rd season status and feel he will be a player for us. 

1 hour ago, Archer said:

Yeah, I don't disagree with you there.  I like Fountain a lot, but we seemed to have a loaded WR room to start TC last year, and almost nothing worked out for us.  Now, I'd expect to have better WR play by far in 2020 just due to better health, but I still have us possibly re-signing Funchess and drafting a WR on the 1st or 2nd day, just to make sure we have enough weapons...

Yea, I think a lot of people got over-excited about Cain.  Obviously Campbell, Funchess and TY being hurt didn't help much.  Plus it seemed like Ebron regressed from 2018.

Very hard to know if Brissett's play lowered the play of others around him or if our WRs simply weren't that good.  Probably a combo of both..... but what everyone seemed to think the strength of our team (WR corps) prior to last season seemed to be our largest weakness.  

Archived