NHL Wayne Gretzky 

NBA Michael Jordan

MLB Jackie Robinson

NFL Peyton Manning 

Who are yours?

NHL - Wayne Gretzky

NBA - Michael Jordan

MLB - Willie Mays

NFL - because of the cheating scandals the Patriots have had, instead of Tom Brady who also had Bill Belichick for tons of help, I will roll with Peyton Manning, what the heck :thmup:

18 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

I think most of us will differ on MLB 

Yeah you are probably right. Mays to me was the best though. He batted .302, had over 3200 Hits, hit 660 HR's, was an amazing fielder, and was on a WS winning team - he got a ring. When it comes to Baseball that is the toughest one to decide on. I don't count Babe Ruth because he played before integration. Hard to count anything before 1947. When it comes to the NFL GOAT, that isn't easy as you do have Brady, Montana, and Manning. On defense there is LT as well. Jim Brown is in that discussion too. Basketball and Hockey are easy to me.

13 minutes ago, WarGhost21 said:

NHL: Gretzky

NBA: Jordan

MLB: Babe Ruth (I am a Yankees fan though, so bias)

NFL: Drew Brees (Nobody has done more with less)

Done more with less for Brees?  For the last 10+ years, he's played in a dome and had a great offensively-minded head coach and has had a pretty good OL in front of him.  On the other hand, Peyton had to deal with a poor OL for a lot of his career and head coaches that I think are overrated

5 minutes ago, 21isSuperman said:

Done more with less for Brees?  For the last 10+ years, he's played in a dome and had a great offensively-minded head coach and has had a pretty good OL in front of him.  On the other hand, Peyton had to deal with a poor OL for a lot of his career and head coaches that I think are overrated

When it comes to Brady, Montana, and Manning it is a coin toss. I am an admitted flip flopper when it comes to those 3 because that is how even they are. Those 3 are definitely better than Brees but Brees is a Hall of Famer. Basketball is still Jordan IMO, players like LeBron, Magic, and Kareem have a slight argument to being the GOAT but Jordan was just unstoppable. You are a big Hockey fan, I am not but from what I have seen Gretzky is an easy #1.

1 hour ago, 21isSuperman said:

Look at the receiving options he has had over the years though. Aside from MT and Marques Colston, he hasn’t had any big time receivers. Brady had Moss, Walker, Gronk, and Edelman. Manning had Harrison and Wayne, then D Thomas and Sanders. Just my personal opinion though, Brees has so many records too, like 5 seasons over 5000 yards and the all time passing records. Just my opinion though, and Manning is my second choice hands down. Just so long as it isn’t Brady, I’m happy

2 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

When it comes to Brady, Montana, and Manning it is a coin toss. I am an admitted flip flopper when it comes to those 3 because that is how even they are. Those 3 are definitely better than Brees but Brees is a Hall of Famer. Basketball is still Jordan IMO, players like LeBron, Magic, and Kareem have a slight argument to being the GOAT but Jordan was just unstoppable. You are a big Hockey fan, I am not but from what I have seen Gretzky is an easy #1.

NBA I'd say LeBron. I'm heavily in the Manning group for NFL, though there should be a distinction between greatest of all time and greatest QB of all time.  For example, is Manning a better QB than Jerry Rice was a WR?

Hockey is difficult because the game has changed so much.  In today's game, Gretz wouldn't come anywhere near as many points as he currently has.  If you watch highlights from the 80s and 90s, the goalies were absolutely horrible.  Gretz eclipsed 150 points in a season multiple times, and even hit the 200+ point mark multiple times, which is absolutely unheard of anymore.  That's like a RB rushing for 3000 yards

5 minutes ago, WarGhost21 said:

Look at the receiving options he has had over the years though. Aside from MT and Marques Colston, he hasn’t had any big time receivers. Brady had Moss, Walker, Gronk, and Edelman. Manning had Harrison and Wayne, then D Thomas and Sanders. Just my personal opinion though, Brees has so many records too, like 5 seasons over 5000 yards and the all time passing records. Just my opinion though, and Manning is my second choice hands down. Just so long as it isn’t Brady, I’m happy

He had Jimmy Graham at TE for several years, Reggie Bush in the backfield, Devery Henderson.  He also consistently has Pro Bowl level players on his OL.

30 minutes ago, 21isSuperman said:

NBA I'd say LeBron. I'm heavily in the Manning group for NFL, though there should be a distinction between greatest of all time and greatest QB of all time.  For example, is Manning a better QB than Jerry Rice was a WR?

Hockey is difficult because the game has changed so much.  In today's game, Gretz wouldn't come anywhere near as many points as he currently has.  If you watch highlights from the 80s and 90s, the goalies were absolutely horrible.  Gretz eclipsed 150 points in a season multiple times, and even hit the 200+ point mark multiple times, which is absolutely unheard of anymore.  That's like a RB rushing for 3000 yards

He had Jimmy Graham at TE for several years, Reggie Bush in the backfield, Devery Henderson.  He also consistently has Pro Bowl level players on his OL.

I defer to you when it comes to Hockey because you know the game much better than I do but Gretzky made it look so easy when he played. LeBron has gained my respect more and more over the years, guy is a beast. If he wins a championship in LA that only improves his legacy that much more. Can't really go wrong with him, Jordan, Magic, or Kareem IMO. Kareem is a Big so comparing Big's to Floor players is tough to do. Take a guy like Shaq for example, I could argue he was the most dominant player ever but he was a Big. 

Football wise I agree, greatest QB and greatest player can be consider different. You have defense is why, LT could arguably be the GOAT. Also on offense, Jim Brown could be as well as a RB ahead of his time.

On 2/1/2020 at 9:11 AM, danlhart87 said:

NHL Wayne Gretzky 

NBA Michael Jordan

MLB Jackie Robinson

NFL Peyton Manning 

Who are yours?

NHL: Gretzky

NBA: Wilt Chamberlain - he changed the game, IMO

MLB: Going to name a pitcher and a hitter here - Sandy Koufax and Babe Ruth (he was also a great pitcher early in his career and he also changed the game)

NFL: I think this needs to be an offensive and defensive player - Peyton Manning and Lawrence Taylor

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 2/1/2020 at 9:19 AM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

NHL - Wayne Gretzky

NBA - Michael Jordan

MLB - Willie Mays

NFL - because of the cheating scandals the Patriots have had, instead of Tom Brady who also had Bill Belichick for tons of help, I will roll with Peyton Manning, what the heck :thmup:

I had to look back on this thread. I posted that 4 months ago and will stick by it. Magic Johnson is 2nd regarding the NBA but Jordan was the best and I am a huge Magic fan. Magic could do it all.

56 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I had to look back on this thread. I posted that 4 months ago and will stick by it. Magic Johnson is 2nd regarding the NBA but Jordan was the best and I am a huge Magic fan. Magic could do it all.

If only November 7th 1991, never happened. Sad day for the world.

Yeah I was stunned when that happened. Magic was the type of athlete that could've played 15 or 16 years. That cut his career short. He doesn't have the overall stats that a Jordan, Kareem, or LeBron has but at his peak nobody was really better except Jordan IMO. Magic made the Finals 9 times in 12 seasons and his teams won 5.

11 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah I was stunned when that happened. Magic was the type of athlete that could've played 15 or 16 years. That cut his career short. He doesn't have the overall stats that a Jordan, Kareem, or LeBron has but at his peak nobody was really better except Jordan IMO. Magic made the Finals 9 times in 12 seasons and his teams won 5.

That day is forever etched in my mind.

The thing with Magic though, is he played long enough and accomplished enough in that time to be in the discussion. If he would've been able to keep playing, there would be no discussion, imo.

Not to worried about accumulative stats, a lot of people hold on way past their best paying days to keep adding up stats. Just because Barry Sanders only played 10 years, doesnt take him out of being the best RB ever.

What Magic did in his career was amazing. Finals MVP as a rookie, playing Center with Kareem hurt, goes to the top of that list.

He will forever be G.O.A.T to me.

Yeah winning Finals MVP as a rookie was so incredible. He is the only one ever to do it. I remember I was in 4th grade when that happened. My teacher had us all write a book report on who our hero's were. I wrote what I thought was a perfect A book report about Magic. I talk about his child hood, High School playing days, College playing days, and him winning it all as a rookie. Even had his rookie stats. That teacher freakin gave me a B+ lmao . I found later she loved Larry Bird haha . True story though.

5 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah winning Finals MVP as a rookie was so incredible. He is the only one ever to do it. I remember I was in 4th grade when that happened. My teacher had us all write a book report on who our hero's were. I wrote what I thought was a perfect A book report about Magic. I talk about his child hood, High School playing days, College playing days, and him winning it all as a rookie. Even had his rookie stats. That teacher freakin gave me a B+ lmao . I found later she loved Larry Bird haha . True story though.

Wish I could give you 2 liked for this post. Have to find another post.

6 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Hard not to love Larry Bird.

My buddy had a lot of family that lived in French Lick. I remember going down by Birds house down there. The famous court from Space Jam. Could only see from road, but still cool.

6 minutes ago, w87r said:

My buddy had a lot of family that lived in French Lick. I remember going down by Birds house down there. The famous court from Space Jam. Could only see from road, but still cool.

Yeah I liked Bird, still do. He easily is a top 10 player of all-time. Magic was better IMO but it was close no doubt. Probably the best rivals I have seen in sports are Magic vs Bird, Manning vs Brady, Ali vs Frazier. They always show the old Boxing matches of them on ESPN.

27 minutes ago, w87r said:

His High School coach was the coach at Princeton in the late 70s and early 80s so I met him multiple times during his heyday     
     He was the guest coach at the Jr Tiger Camp every year

On 2/1/2020 at 9:55 AM, 21isSuperman said:

When the Saints had off years under Brees, they absolutely stink. When the Colts had off years under Manning, they won 10 games

• 2 months later...

NHL-Easiest, Wayne did things no one else has or will. He was one with the puck,saw the ice like no one else, elevated teammates

NBA-Also pretty easy in Wilt, Jordan, Lebron, Bill Russell, Magic all great but heads and shoulders above everyone. Had season averages few players achieve once and never came out of games.

NFL-Jim Brown, a man among boys his entire career. Numbers way above other elite players at his position. Jerry Rice, Peyton both mentioned often and are greats...

MLB-Cy Young , guy won 511 games..let that sink in 511 next best only at 417 and third way down at 373, he had 76 shutouts, lead league countless times in era,strikouts,innings pitched. Hardest sport by far to pick greatest though imo, so many factors and positions 

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 2/6/2021 at 6:05 PM, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

NHL Wayne Gretsky

NBA Lebron James

MLB Babe Ruth

NFL Bert Jones

*** Added for Fun ***

Horse Secretariat 

Greyhound  Ballyregan Bob

Golfer  Jack Nicklaus

Tennis  Federer

Jai Alai Bolivar

Pool Minnesota Fats

Actor. Humphrey Bogart 

Actress  Rita Hayworth 

Pool- Willie Mosconi and not even close, 15 world title. He toyed with Minnesota Fats and beat him at will, Fats was a talker and braggart but Willie was a whole different level of player

Archived