Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Per Reich, no decision from Anthony Castonzo yet

zibby43

He's smart enough to make money doing other things besides play football.

Its not like he's got a huge posse to fund for the rest of his life because he can't do anything for himself.

I'm assuming the decision to retire or not is not based on money, he knows he's going to be rich if he stays and has already factored that in before making this announcement to decide.

But money can certainly influence it.

I think playing under the franchise tag for one year makes sense for both sides.

8 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

AC is like Luck. Money will have nothing to do with retiring.  

How are they alike? 

Outside of some facial hair, they both grew up very different, and followed very different paths to the NFL. AC was from a working class Italian family in IL, and went to a military academy. He was only a 2 star prospect going into college. Luck was born into a family with a ton of money, lived abroad, and was a 5 star or high 4 star recruit going into college depending what service you look at.

Not saying they don't have similarities, or haven't bonded, but there's a lot that is very different. 

3 minutes ago, jskinnz said:

So it is a positional thing?  Somehow an OL would make a decision based on money that a QB, LB, RB wouldn't?

Again, Sweet Jesus...

Most that leave early have injury issues pressing them. If you look at the majority, if not all of the big names retiring early, most are skill positions. Feel free to name an OL that retired early near the peak of his career when offered 50M or more to stay. You'll have to look pretty hard to find one, and what you will find are mostly RBs, QBs, WRs, TEs, etc that for the most part have made considerable more bank than AC.

Sweet Jesus, look at the history.....

Not saying he won't retire, but you're acting like it's common. Quit acting like it's obvious and that you're the voice of reason here.

3 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

How are they alike? 

Outside of some facial hair, they both grew up very different, and followed very different paths to the NFL. AC was from a working class Italian family in IL, and went to a military academy. He was only a 2 star prospect going into college. Luck was born into a family with a ton of money, lived abroad, and was a 5 star or high 4 star recruit going into college depending what service you look at.

Not saying they don't have similarities, or haven't bonded, but there's a lot that is very different. 

I think she is just coming from the backstory that AC has interests outside of football.  Not purely recreational but interests that a normal person would have that would allow him to support himself in a manner that he wants to despite already having millions in the bank from playing football for 9 years.

I have read this too in the past, but have no links.  

But if you want to talk tendencies of people, he is reportedly a Rhodes Scholar and people like that tend to pursue interests other than purely being drawn towards getting another $50mil.  Not saying the money doesn't matter.

There comes a point in a persons life where how you spend your time, every minute of your life, becomes more important than how much EXTRA money you have.  Just sayin.

1 minute ago, DougDew said:

I think she is just coming from the backstory that AC has interests outside of football.  Not purely recreational but interests that a normal person would have that would allow him to support himself in a manner that he wants to despite already having millions in the bank from playing football for 9 years.

I have read this too in the past, but have no links.  

But if you want to talk tendencies of people, he is reportedly a Rhodes Scholar and people like that tend to pursue interests other than purely being drawn towards getting another $50mil.  Not saying the money doesn't matter.

There comes a point in a persons life where how you spend your time, every minute of your life, becomes more important than how much EXTRA money you have.  Just sayin.

I don't disagree with anything you said. He was in fact nominated for a RS 2010, but obviously did not pursue. I'm sure he has post NFL interests and aspirations, but he's young, and would be young after another few years. If he had CTS or other injury concerns, I would tend to lean towards him retiring, but that's not the case as far as I know. Again, wouldn't shock me if he retired, I just doubt he does.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I don't disagree with anything you said. He was in fact nominated for a RS 2010, but obviously did not pursue. I'm sure he has post NFL interests and aspirations, but he's young, and would be young after another few years. If he had CTS or other injury concerns, I would tend to lean towards him retiring, but that's not the case as far as I know. Again, wouldn't shock me if he retired, I just doubt he does.

Having reached the point in my life where wanting more time is more of a goal than wanting more money, I can see why AC is thinking about this. His time/money line is drawn at a lot younger age than me, surely because of different circumstances. 

Ballard's interview said that he would never ask or beg a player to come back.  That he needs to be all in.  But I would think that a one-year franchise tag would give AC time to soak in how much he loves the game or wants to move on.  I would trust his character to be the type that would give it his all for one year, even if he decides half way though he's done.

7 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Having reached the point in my life where wanting more time is more of a goal than wanting more money, I can see why AC is thinking about this. His time/money line is drawn at a lot younger age than me, surely because of different circumstances. 

Ballard's interview said that he would never ask or beg a player to come back.  That he needs to be all in.  But I would think that a one-year franchise tag would give AC time to soak in how much he loves the game or wants to move on.  I would trust his character to be the type that would give it his all for one year, even if he decides half way though he's done.

I doubt anyone will need to beg. He's only 31. Even if he played another 4 years, he'd be 35. That's still very young. He commented that he's never felt healthier, so doubt injury or QoL is a big part of the thought process. If he's no longer passionate and doesn't need the money, great... I just think he will look at the situation, weigh things, and come back.

1 hour ago, aaron11 said:

whats funny is that you are jumping to conclusions too and patting yourself on the back thinking you are being the voice of reason here. 

maybe he wants to talk to ballard and get a better idea of the teams qb situation and chances of contending in the next few years?

fyi ballard is still reviewing qbs after the senior bowl, maybe hes waiting on that.  you dont know what hes thinking for sure either, get over your self.  players have retired over this before

Don't recall patting myself on the back in this thread.  Never once said "I called this before it happened" like you did.

So you think AC is waiting on Ballard to come back from the Sr. Bowl to tell him, "Hey Anthony, we fell in love with Jordan Love down there and are going to draft him?"  And AC is now pinning his future plans on a rookie QB that may not play at all for at least a year nor is a certainty to drafted by Indy? That is what you think means by future plans?

26 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I doubt anyone will need to beg. He's only 31. Even if he played another 4 years, he'd be 35. That's still very young. He commented that he's never felt healthier, so doubt injury or QoL is a big part of the thought process. If he's no longer passionate and doesn't need the money, great... I just think he will look at the situation, weigh things, and come back.

I agree.  I think he'll come back too. 

But I also think our QB situation makes every practice and every game seem more like work than fun.  If you're going to lose, have little hope of winning, that's kind of a different place than he has been with PM or Luck.  Even when they were injured, there was a light at the end of the tunnel. Every injury or pain becomes magnified when you're cause is hopeless, and he's probably not in a position for doing it all for the money.  

I also wouldn't be surprised to see this drag on to where we get a better handle on the QB or roster, if Ballard allows it to drag on that far.  Frankly, I'm not sure that it didn't play a part in Luck's decision, thinking how much he would put himself at risk if he thought he had to carry the team.  

Being dispassionately objective, what QB wouldn't want to go to the SB having to throw only 7 passes instead of 50?  LOL.  That current obscure leg injury seemed overblown as to its impact on his decision, but that's another topic.

18 minutes ago, jskinnz said:

Don't recall patting myself on the back in this thread.  Never once said "I called this before it happened" like you did.

So you think AC is waiting on Ballard to come back from the Sr. Bowl to tell him, "Hey Anthony, we fell in love with Jordan Love down there and are going to draft him?"  And AC is now pinning his future plans on a rookie QB that may not play at all for at least a year nor is a certainty to drafted by Indy? That is what you think means by future plans?

Yeah I think he wants to win in general and the qb is a big factor in this

I think he will retire if he thinks it's a sub 500 team, maybe he would prefer a good veteran over a rookie

• Like 1

Can't figure out what's so "Sweet Jesus or Dear God" about surmising that it's possible that the state of the team and it's most important position being in flux is figuring into this potential retirement. I suppose we'd have to ask him with the caveat that he'd likely not throw anyone under the bus.

Could be one, or the other or a combination of both- or things we don't know about, but it won't be for the better if this team is without AC this year.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I agree.  I think he'll come back too. 

But I also think our QB situation makes every practice and every game seem more like work than fun.  If you're going to lose, have little hope of winning, that's kind of a different place than he has been with PM or Luck.  Even when they were injured, there was a light at the end of the tunnel. Every injury or pain becomes magnified when you're cause is hopeless, and he's probably not in a position for doing it all for the money.  

I also wouldn't be surprised to see this drag on to where we get a better handle on the QB or roster, if Ballard allows it to drag on that far.  Frankly, I'm not sure that it didn't play a part in Luck's decision, thinking how much he would put himself at risk if he thought he had to carry the team.  

Being dispassionately objective, what QB wouldn't want to go to the SB having to throw only 7 passes instead of 50?  LOL.  That current obscure leg injury seemed overblown as to its impact on his decision, but that's another topic.

I think Luck's situation is very unique. Born to wealth, lived abroad, will inherit a ton, has career options at his fingertips, etc.. He and his future grand-kids are already set for life. Other QBs and other players with worse injury history have remained passionate. Again, he's just a different type of guy/player, and there's nothing wrong with it. 

As far as SBs are concerned, sure it's nice to play for one, but 50M is the key ingredient. 

11 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

IMHO

We need to be aggressive in this draft for an OT whether AC comes back or not

We have ZERO depth at LT

Yup. We have good depth at G, but T in general is horrible. I wouldn't say we need to be truly "aggressive" if AC comes back, but we do need to address by the 4th or 5th round. Good depth can be found in the middle rounds as far as AV is concerned. If you look over the past 20ish years, AV is pretty darn good rounds 1-5, and is actually highest in the 2nd round. R4 historically has a tad more AV than 1st. If AC leaves though, need to be very aggressive (FA or draft)

23 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I think Luck's situation is very unique. Born to wealth, lived abroad, will inherit a ton, has career options at his fingertips, etc.. He and his future grand-kids are already set for life. Other QBs and other players with worse injury history have remained passionate. Again, he's just a different type of guy/player, and there's nothing wrong with it. 

As far as SBs are concerned, sure it's nice to play for one, but 50M is the key ingredient. 

If a player has the money, and a reasonable lifestyle with which to fund, I'd think the work/fun ratio towards winning a SB plays into it just as much as getting a pile of extra money.

I think PM is more the unique player.  He wouldn't want to win a 17-10 game by handing off to Marlon Mack 25 times a game and having a strong defense, (although that's exactly how he won both SBs, LOL) he wanted the glory of winning the game by throwing 50 passes after having a 5000 yards a season.   Even Brady seemed to want to have a more complete team around him.  PM played until he couldn't.  Maybe Brady will too.

AC said that he is going to play for the Colts or retire.  He's already said he's not entertaining a bidding war. I think that means that getting more money than he needs is probably 3rd or 4th on the list of important things to think about.   

Not that he won't resign, and he probably will.  I just think that's where the Luck comparison comes in.

32 minutes ago, DougDew said:

If a player has the money, and a reasonable lifestyle with which to fund, I'd think the work/fun ratio towards winning a SB plays into it just as much as getting a pile of extra money.

I think PM is more the unique player.  He wouldn't want to win a 17-10 game by handing off to Marlon Mack 25 times a game and having a strong defense, (although that's exactly how he won both SBs, LOL) he wanted the glory of winning the game by throwing 50 passes after having a 5000 yards a season.   Even Brady seemed to want to have a more complete team around him.  PM played until he couldn't.  Maybe Brady will too.

AC said that he is going to play for the Colts or retire.  He's already said he's not entertaining a bidding war. I think that means that getting more money than he needs is probably 3rd or 4th on the list of important things to think about.   

Not that he won't resign, and he probably will.  I just think that's where the Luck comparison comes in.

Luck and Manning had considerably more bank (contract and endorsements), and considerably more post NFL options. It's just not comparable to AC's financial situation. Sure he could live comfortably on what he has, but I think you're undervaluing what would more than double his net worth and take him to a new level from a financial security perspective. 

4 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

He is worth over 6 million dollars. Maybe he don't feel he needs the money? 

Maybe 9 years is enough for him?  

Money may not be an issue to him?

From the sites I looked at, his net worth is in the mid 20 million range.  

the longer a person thinks of retiring, the more likely it is to happen.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

I bet that they already know he is coming back. Joel and Jim put it this way. AC is a FA. So the colts aren’t going to say he has made a decision until he is signed. They can’t  say he has decided to come back but what if they can’t work something out.  I doubt he hasn’t made his decision yet. We should find out soon. 

I hope he does comeback or we are in big trouble at Left Tackle.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Thunderbolt said:

AC is expendable, there are lots of options in FA.  Pick one that's available, I don't think AC is as dominating as the young OLs we have. Besides, AC is up there in age, he's using this negotiating tool of retirement as an excuse to get a better deal.  Next man up!

Disagree with the green, unless the narrative is anecdotal (everyone is expendable).... LT is one of the harder positions to fill.

On the blue, the only OL we have that is more dominating is Q. Smith struggles in a few areas (twist rushes for example) and that's on the right hand side where it's a bit easier... 

Agree 100% on the red. IMO, he wants to stay with the Colts, but wants to milk it for as much as he can as it will be his last. The folks that say it's not about the money, probably haven't negotiated too many salaries. 

I'm starting to see a broken record here.

We're gonna wait for Luck to tell us if he feels he's ready to go.  Wait.  Wait. Wait.  Wait some more.  Go through 2017 offseason.  Wait some more.  Get into the season.  Um...  Flub the QB situation.  Trade for a backup from somewhere else to play, because the guy we have is awful.  Oh, by the way, we're still waiting.  Go to Europe.  Wait again.  Aaaaaand....  Ok, now we put Luck on IR.

We're gonna wait for Luck to tell us if his injury is healed.  Wait.  Wait.  Wait some more.  Show up for some workouts.  re-injure the leg.  Wait.  Wait some more.  Oh!  News broke during the final preseason game that he's retiring!  Dang it!

We're gonna wait for a HOF kicker who has nothing left to prove and probably should retire to tell us how he's feeling.  Wait.  Wait.  Wait some more.  Start the season.  Wow, that was pretty bad.  Are you still hurt?  Wait.  Wait some more.  Bring in other kickers.  Wait.  Re-injury.  Finally goes on IR.

We're gonna wait for AC to tell us if he's gonna retire or not.  Start the broken record.  See above.

*raises hand*  Um...  Can we stop doing this?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Thunderbolt said:

AC is expendable, there are lots of options in FA.  Pick one that's available, I don't think AC is as dominating as the young OLs we have. Besides, AC is up there in age, he's using this negotiating tool of retirement as an excuse to get a better deal.  Next man up!

No he isn’t. The one thing about AC is you can leave him on a island with no help. There are a lot of ways you can help a LT if they are average but then that hurts the passing game because it takes away one available pass catcher. 

A good GM, which I believe Ballard is, is preparing for the retirement/injury/loss of every single player.... 365 days a year. 

The turnover rate in the NFL is a fluid, continual thing. He has been preparing for this...while juggling ever other position, since he came here. Next man up is not coach speak, it is life in the NFL. The Colts will still be the Colts, and I will root for them, whether AC retires, or re-signs. 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Disagree with the green, unless the narrative is anecdotal (everyone is expendable).... LT is one of the harder positions to fill.

On the blue, the only OL we have that is more dominating is Q. Smith struggles in a few areas (twist rushes for example) and that's on the right hand side where it's a bit easier... 

Agree 100% on the red. IMO, he wants to stay with the Colts, but wants to milk it for as much as he can as it will be his last. The folks that say it's not about the money, probably haven't negotiated too many salaries. 

There are players that it’s not all about money. AC is different. He has a personality like Luck. If it was about the money why didn’t he sign during the season when approached. He could of signed a 3 year deal and walked away after a year and they probably wouldn’t of asked for any of the bonus money back. 

Just now, Chloe6124 said:

There are players that it’s not all about money. AC is different. He has a personality like Luck.

Chloe, I'll try to be polite as possible..... You have zero clue what AC is like, what he is really thinking, or what his agent's strategy is. Neither do I, or reporters, or podcasters....

If it was about the money why didn’t he sign during the season when approached. He could of signed a 3 year deal

This is simple. His bargaining power was less at that point. 

and walked away after a year and they probably wouldn’t of asked for any of the bonus money back. 

What they did with Luck was not normal, and likely had to do with future rights should he ever choose to come back. 

All I can say, is in my 25 year career, I've personally hired, or been involved in the hiring process of well over 500 people. Probably close to 1000 or more given the centers and divisions I've started up. I've hired all types (engineers, sales, HR, techs, accountants, lawyers, etc), and all levels (from 1st level to VPs). I've also negotiated with agents/headhunters for high dollar types, as well as key assets that were weighing retirement. In short, I've seen a lot, and those that I've hired didn't have cutthroat agents like NFL players do (some of the HHs were pretty ruthless though LOL).  IF AC wanted to stay with the Colts AND maximize his contract, he's doing and saying the exact things he should do to achieve that goal. He's a smart guy, and I'm sure his agent is smart and coaching him to achieve his desired outcome.

He may very well retire, but there's just as much likelihood as he wants to stay in Indy, and get one last big pay day. If it's that latter, he and his agent know the game, and their going to play it. People "say" things to create narrative. It's all part of attaining their goals or desired outcome.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Ballard was probably already prepared to make him one of the higher paid LT in the league. So there was no need to threaten retirement.

I've seen many post on how frugal Ballard is, and that he won't overpay.... Do you think his first offer for extension was his best offer? You're not that naive are you? Do you think his agent takes the first offer, or tries to maximize bargaining position. The old adage is that you NEVER take the first offer. If his agent did, he's a bad agent. 

I think AC is one of the growing number of players who has decided health is more important than money.  AC has been a great player for us since he arrived.  I honestly don't think he is looking for a break the bank contract, he has already stated he will either resign with the Colts or retire.  If CB thinks he is worth keeping than offer him a decent contract, but DO NOT try to lowball him, or he will walk.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Thunderbolt said:

No he’s not.  See what happened from when Glenn left until the Colts got AC to see why that’s a foolish statement.

Teams don’t let franchise left tackles get to free agency.

The Colts have no others dominating young left tackles on the roster.  They have Clark who is a bust and only made the roster because every other left tackle was worse.  Having four fifths of an oline does you no good If you have a huge hole at the most important position on the line.  

You have zero way to know if he’s using this as a negotiation tool so stop saying it likes it’s a fact because it’s not.

Its also not likely.  The Colts have already said they want him back and AC said if he plays he wants to be here.  So both sides have already given up leverage for this to be a meaningful tool for AC to play.  Also AC has all the leverage he needs in terms of the Colts want and need him back.  There is no other buyable option on the roster at left tackle without him so if they lose him they will have to replace him which would make another major need the Colts would have to address.  They have enough of those without adding another one to this list.  

Your next man up is Clark.  Do you really want him protecting your QBs blindside?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, EastStreet said:

I've seen many post on how frugal Ballard is, and that he won't overpay.... Do you think his first offer for extension was his best offer? You're not that naive are you? Do you think his agent takes the first offer, or tries to maximize bargaining position. The old adage is that you NEVER take the first offer. If his agent did, he's a bad agent. 

He’s also said over and over again that bills come due.  He’s made it clear he’s saving his money to sign his own.  I also don’t AC is looking to get paid like the best left tackle in football either.  I am sure he wants what’s fair but I also think the Colts are prepared to do that with him.  I don’t think money is the major issue here.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Ballard isn’t the type to lowball. Was paying Kenny Moore after one great season being frugal and cheap.  Money is not the motivator hear. Ballard knows the importance of AC and was going to do the right thing. This negative crap always wanting to see the bad side of everything is ridiculous.

Not the "bad side" as much as good business decisions.   A good GM does not give the playeras much as he asks for.  It's a negotiation.  

10 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

No it’s the oppposite. A good GM doesn’t play games with its best players. That’s why the players trust Ballard. 

Ballard knows that he will not have this great cap space forever.  he'll agree to a fair deal, but he will negotiate.   

15 minutes ago, Myles said:

Ballard knows that he will not have this great cap space forever.  he'll agree to a fair deal, but he will negotiate.   

I think there is nit picking going on here.  I don’t think Chloe is saying Ballard is going to go to AC or anyone and go hey here is blank check just write the number you want.  What she’s saying is he isn’t going to do what Grigson tried to do with McAfee (per McAfee just for the record) and pretend a guy isn’t a top a player when he is and low ball them.  He’s going to make a fair offer and go from there.  Of course negotiations will be a part of it but as long as both sides aren’t in different camps in terms of how good of a player the guy that can normally we be worked out.  

• Like 2

If AC resigns, he's going to resign for market value.  I'm sure his agent and CB have a reasonable idea of what that is.  Whether or not AC wants to spend his time schlepping his body around for market value is another thing, and likely what he's thinking about.  I'm sure he already has a good idea about what his market value is, and about what CB thinks it is.