Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Optimism

indyagent17

13 minutes ago, indyagent17 said:

As we stand now we have three picks in the top 48.

1. Best pass rusher available

2. Best QB available 

3 Best Corner available

1.). Best pass rush, with emphasis on DT.

2.). Best quarterback available.

3.). Best wide receiver available.

And I have other needs higher than corner. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Fish said:

The priority in my mind is QB, but the board is the board. I can't imagine a guy who falls to the 3rd round for example is likely to satisfy the need.

Probably not much on that QB board  -- Burrow, and maybe Tua (if his hip and other issues are behind him). The rest are pretty much a crapshoot, but I would take Herbert if he drops to the Colts in the first round. The rest are just, well...meh.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Thunderbolt said:

The priority should be like this:

1-QB

2-RB

3-DL,et all

Not sure why running back is a priority. Mack ran for over 1,000 yards and Wilkins and Hines are solid.

We need a defensive tackle, then a receiver. I'd hate to waste a first round pick by reaching for a quarterback that could be.a bust.

• Like 5

13 hours ago, indyagent17 said:

As we stand now we have three picks in the top 48.

I'd like to restate the first clause of the OP.

We have reason for optimism.

Our team is 8-8.  (Or ought to be after this week's game.)

The team's core is made of young, improving players.  Not older, diminishing players.

And, again, we have multiple picks (regardless of how we choose to spend them) in the top 50.

Optimism!

• Like 1

QB should be number 1.  This team went to the playoffs last year, and won 10 out of 11 games after a bad first third of the season.  The biggest difference was who was playing quarterback.

We get a franchise QB back in here and we're a contender again.   We need a better QB to be a contender. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

QB should be number 1.  This team went to the playoffs last year, and won 10 out of 11 games after a bad first third of the season.  The biggest difference was who was playing quarterback.

We get a franchise QB back in here and we're a contender again.   We need a better QB to be a contender. 

Yep!

Luck took Colts teams to the playoffs with less talent. If, the QB position isn’t addressed  in 2020, it will be in 2021. 

1 hour ago, John Hammonds said:

I'd like to restate the first clause of the OP.

We have reason for optimism.

Our team is 8-8.  (Or ought to be after this week's game.)

The team's core is made of young, improving players.  Not older, diminishing players.

And, again, we have multiple picks (regardless of how we choose to spend them) in the top 50.

Optimism!

We certainly do.    But we also have reason for pessimism.  

I think through free agency and the draft that this will be a better overall team next season.  The glaring hole is still at QB.  I think Brissett can lead the team to a 10 win season.  Could be an 8 win season as well.  Even if they win 10 games, I don't have any confidence that Brissett could lead us on a good playoff run.    He and the D-line are the weakest links on the team.   I expect the D-line will have additions and be better next season.  I think Brissett will be very similar to what we've seen this year.   He hasn't shown any improvement.   Perhaps Reich can call plays that avoid Brissetts flaws.  

On 12/26/2019 at 8:16 PM, The Fish said:

The priority in my mind is QB, but the board is the board. I can't imagine a guy who falls to the 3rd round for example is likely to satisfy the need.

Why not? If he's a top 6/ish QB onn your board, and available in the third because most other teams saw him as only top 15.... He very well could fill the void at QB.  That's exactly how mid-late round guys pan out.  You just have to be very good, better than most, at evaluation, and have a bit of luck.

Another way to look at it is without Manning or Luck in previous years we had really bad records(2011 and 2017) this year we should have made the playoffs. Just a testament to how much stronger the overall roster is than in years past. Ballard is definitely on the right track!

• Like 1

I really struggle to be overly optimistic when so many key positions have question marks hanging over them.

The only the bright side is that I like the individual character of most of the players and have faith in the guys at the top but I can't find much more tangible things than that to be honest.