Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jonathan Williams

chad72

2 hours ago, Imgrandojji said:

Wilkins isn't bad, but we've been looking for him to emerge as a change of pace back to allow Reich to have the confidence not to put all the rushing burden on Mack, and that kind of just never quite happened.  Williams came in in 1 game and suddenly was that guy. 

it says something when Reich would rather give rushing carries to a depth RB and even to Chester Rogers than to Wilkins.  I dunno what but there's something going on there.

You realize Wilkins was hurt yesterday?

18 hours ago, Mr.Debonair said:

He hits the hold fast and breaks tackles. Rarely went down on first contact. I like the downhill style. Hopefully he can stay healthy 

His biggest criticism in the predraft process was his decisiveness and tendency to bounce runs outside when he didn't need to.  He seemed to have improved in that area substantially, though I don't have access to the All 22 to verify.  I always liked him as a potential 3 down guy as he's a natural receiver.

2 hours ago, krunk said:

As far as I know Wilkins was hurt, but I think they've been waiting on the chance to break J Will in though. 

Yep.   Wilkins was not active for the game yesterday.   

Personally I prefer Wilkins, but both have good numbers in a small sample size.  

22 hours ago, chad72 said:

I find Jonathan Williams' vision better than that of Jordan Wilkins.

For a 2nd string between-the-tackles back, I feel Jonathan Williams is the guy we need to ride. Great job by the coaches but I found his performance more exciting than the "meh" stuff we typically get with Jordan Wilkins. Granted it is just one game but I found his vision good in pre-season too before he got banged up. He showed me something today.

Thoughts???

I agree. I've been waiting for him to get healthy to see what he could do.

He looked just as good yesterday as he did in Preseason

On the play where JB either ran it in or hit Johnson, he had Williams open on the flare/swing route for the TD.  Don't think JB trusted him yet.  Be interesting to see if we go back to him in similar situations.  I know he took that screen and got busy.  1 cut and explode into the 2nd level.  Dude was quite impressive.  

On 11/18/2019 at 11:46 AM, Imgrandojji said:

Wilkins isn't bad, but we've been looking for him to emerge as a change of pace back to allow Reich to have the confidence not to put all the rushing burden on Mack, and that kind of just never quite happened.  Williams came in in 1 game and suddenly was that guy. 

it says something when Reich would rather give rushing carries to a depth RB and even to Chester Rogers than to Wilkins.  I dunno what but there's something going on there.

I don't know that Williams was ever really a change of pace back.  I don't think he had that many carries prior to Mack getting hurt.  He put up good numbers after Mack got hurt but Mack was putting up good numbers before that.  

Could Williams be good?  Yes of course.  The problem is that it's hard to separate his performance from that of the OL which pushed around the Jags for 4 quarters.  

• Like 1

Loved his physical style.

I am trying to temper my excitement because he really hasn't done anything in the league besides yesterday.   I cant believe he can replace Mack, but i like what i see.

I also would like to see Wilkens get some more carries. And Hines makes plays.

None of these guys can do what Mack can, but i do like our depth.

• Like 2

On 11/18/2019 at 11:46 AM, Imgrandojji said:

sweet baby Jesus...

you do realize that Wilkins was inactive on Sunday right?  You asked what was going on there - that is it. And somehow tying Rogers’ reverse into a supposed unhappiness with Wilkins.  Clueless. 

On 11/17/2019 at 7:29 PM, BProland85 said:

With the very talented RB class in the 2020 draft, I still would like Ballard to add one more guy to that backfield. Mack is a good RB, but he can't seem to stay fully healthy, and I still question whether he is our workhorse RB. 

Who knows what the Colts will do

But.... in my completely uneducated opinion.......  I think the Colts like what they have at RB

You have multiple role type players 

You have the everydown back - Mack

You have the jitterbug, speed back - Hines

You MAY have the power back that we have been needing - Williams

- 

AND.......  You have a decent Mack, backup - Wilkins

IMHO, this covers the bases with quality talent, and gives excellent flexibility to the offense 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

Who knows what the Colts will do

But.... in my completely uneducated opinion.......  I think the Colts like what they have at RB

You have multiple role type players 

You have the everydown back - Mack

You have the jitterbug, speed back - Hines

You MAY have the power back that we have been needing - Williams

- 

AND.......  You have a decent Mack, backup - Wilkins

IMHO, this covers the bases with quality talent, and gives excellent flexibility to the offense 

I think the Colts would be wasting a pick if they go RB next draft.   No way they will do it with an early pick.   Expecting better than Mack, Hines, Wilkins or Williams in the later rounds is iffy.   While I don't think we have a top 5 RB in the league, I do think we have 4 that could do well for most teams in their own way.  

I guess I don't see our RB crew as a weakness right now.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chad72 said:

Jonathan Williams is definitely the flavor of this week but I do realize it’s a week to week league. If Wilkins gets carries and is productive vs Texans, it’s a full blown timeshare and @John Waylon will be here to tell us about it. :) 

Haha nope. Someone else claimed him. And I’m glad. I don’t have to worry about whatever they do with him and Wilkins tomorrow. haha

25 minutes ago, Myles said:

I think the Colts would be wasting a pick if they go RB next draft.   No way they will do it with an early pick.   Expecting better than Mack, Hines, Wilkins or Williams in the later rounds is iffy.   While I don't think we have a top 5 RB in the league, I do think we have 4 that could do well for most teams in their own way.  

I guess I don't see our RB crew as a weakness right now.  

Agreed

I think TE may be a spot we go with one of our first 2 picks

I also think we have ZERO Tackle depth....  HAS to be addressed.... If AC gets knicked (he will)

we are toast

Another DL would also be appreciated 

TE / OT / DL .... Best Available

Then get a DB or two

If the OT is early, move RT in to RG.........