Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Week 8 impressions: Brissett

Imgrandojji

4 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

He was, until he got away... 

In all seriousness, he was a statue a lot, but he did have a couple good runs, and one truly amazing escape. 

That’s because the pressure got there pretty much as soon as they snapped the ball.

have you asked why he was holding the ball?  It wasn’t because he felt like it it was because people weren’t open.  I saw the coverage up high at the game.  Jacoby took off a lot because he had too because there was no one open to throw too.  He wasn’t forcing it.  That’s what Luck did and that’s when you would get the hands on his head why did I throw that pick from Andrew.  

Is Jacoby elite?  No.  Can the Colts win with him in a big way?  Yes.  

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Patrick Miller said:

The dude won the game at the end. I swear Brissett had done nothing but show up and STILL people say " yeah but"....

its because people wanna see the colts win a superbowl not just play better then expected . you need a top ten to be a champion now a days.

this team reminds me of the vikings in 2017 who went 13 3 and got blown out by the eagles

Just now, coming on strong said:

its because people wanna see the colts win a superbowl not just play better then expected . you need a top ten to be a champion now a days.

this team reminds me of the vikings in 2017 who went 13 3 and got blown out by the eagles

Was Nick Foles top ten when they won?

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Anyone dumping on Jacoby look what the broncos have done. We actually did better.

This is a great example of cherry picking stats and confirmation bias....

Denver's previous 3 games.

1. A very hobbled Mahomes/KC where Moore played most of the game

2. TN, who has the 7th worst offense in the NFL and who went to their back up QB.

3. LAC who has the 7th worst rushing game in the NFL (one dimensional)

Holder needs some context himself. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

2. TN, who has the 7th worst offense in the NFL and who went to their back up QB.

We are 5-2 and Jacoby is Von Miller's daddy, so don't worry be happy :thmup:

4 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

That’s because the pressure got there pretty much as soon as they snapped the ball.

have you asked why he was holding the ball?  It wasn’t because he felt like it it was because people weren’t open.  I saw the coverage up high at the game.  Jacoby took off a lot because he had too because there was no one open to throw too.  He wasn’t forcing it.  That’s what Luck did and that’s when you would get the hands on his head why did I throw that pick from Andrew.  

Is Jacoby elite?  No.  Can the Colts win with him in a big way?  Yes.  

JB missed sever open receivers today. The most blatant misses were over the top when the D was playing shallow. JB has struggled all year with mid to deep passes up the middle. Teams know this, and it's one reason they double TY, and play shallow to clog the short to medium passing lanes. 

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

We are 5-2 and Jacoby is Von Miller's daddy, so don't worry be happy :thmup:

I'm stoked as hell. My friends in Denver were chirping all game via texts..... Crickets now!

:banana:

That said, I went from very happy (JB's game last week), back to cautious. Those last 7 games of the season are worrisome.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Jdubu said:

Read the whole reply of mine, don’t cherry pick a line that fits your argument. 

I mean...just because you can’t refute what I’m saying doesn’t mean I’m cherry picking.

Thats the reason he holds the ball. Our WRs besides TY don’t get much separation. When they do, the ball comes out. I’m not trying to be argumentative either, so please don’t take it the wrong way.

6 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I'm stoked as hell. My friends in Denver were chirping all game via texts..... Crickets now!

:banana:

That said, I went from very happy (JB's game last week), back to cautious. Those last 7 games of the season are worrisome.

I know I am just having fun in here. I realize JB struggled today but Denver does have a very good defense if not great still. I am surprised we couldn't get Flacco to turn the ball over, that is why I thought we would win by 7-10 points. Flacco played a JB type of game. JB has to play better than today against the better teams no doubt if we want to get where we need to go. 

One last thing, what did you think about Reich's play calling today? I thought it was bad at times and it limited JB IMO.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

It’s not cherry picking. They even limited Rogers to like 250 yards passing and I believe they didn’t have many yards rushing  either.

7 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I know I am just having fun in here. I realize JB struggled today but Denver does have a very good defense if not great still. I am surprised we couldn't get Flacco to turn the ball over, that is why I thought we would win by 7-10 points. Flacco played a JB type of game. JB has to play better than today against the better teams no doubt if we want to get where we need to go. 

One last thing, what did you think about Reich's play calling today? I thought it was bad at times and it limited JB IMO.

I thought it was horribly predicable. He more or less went back to a "JB game manager" scheme. So yes, I think it limits JB. I'd love to see more creativity. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, EastStreet said:

I thought it was horribly predicable. He more or less went back to a "JB game manager" scheme. So yes, I think it limits JB. I'd love to see more creativity. 

Yeah I thought after last week we would throw a lot again. It may be just Denver's defense is that solid + Harris can keep up with TY one on one. Harris is a great CB.

1 hour ago, Calmack said:

So your statement of "if you win on your bad day then you're a good qb" only applies to Colts QBs?  

Since that isn't what I said...

What I said is that if your QB can win games even when he's not at 100%, when he can deliver in the clutch even when he's struggled all night, he's a good QB

• Like 1

Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah I thought after last week we would throw a lot again. It may be just Denver's defense is that solid + Harris can keep up with TY one on one. Harris is a great CB.

I didn't think we'd throw it a ton, but I did think we'd throw it more than we did. TY was still doubled a lot. We did have open guys down field, but those guys were likely the schemed 3rd read which JB just isn't getting to them. An overwhelming majority of passes are simply 1st reads to TY, TE, and RB. And that means mostly 0-10 air yards the majority of the time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Imgrandojji said:

Since that isn't what I said...

What I said is that if your QB can win games even when he's not at 100%, when he can deliver in the clutch even when he's struggled all night, he's a good QB

We're just lucky bro. Nothing we do is legit.

Only way you'd see positive thoughts on this board is Jacoby with 500 yds, 6 TD's, zero incompletions.

Defense must produce a solid 10 sacks and allow no first downs.

Then MAYBE there'd be no complaints. Or they'd complain about the shadows at the stadium or the placement of Peyton's statue.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

I didn't think we'd throw it a ton, but I did think we'd throw it more than we did. TY was still doubled a lot. We did have open guys down field, but those guys were likely the schemed 3rd read which JB just isn't getting to them. An overwhelming majority of passes are simply 1st reads to TY, TE, and RB. And that means mostly 0-10 air yards the majority of the time.

lol. Were you not paying attention at how much pressure he had in him. The oline struggled. To get it down field you have to have time.

Nor every game is going to be good. There are good defenses in this league. This type of game is only going to help when we get to the playoffs.

6 minutes ago, IinD said:

We're just lucky bro. Nothing we do is legit.

Only way you'd see positive thoughts on this board is Jacoby with 500 yds, 6 TD's, zero incompletions.

Defense must produce a solid 10 sacks and allow no first downs.

Then MAYBE there'd be no complaints. Or they'd complain about the shadows at the stadium or the placement of Peyton's statue.

I have to admit, today about gave me a heart attack and an ulcer but after the game people should be happy because we won. Winning is all that matters in reality. We have time to improve, plenty of season left. I doubt many people thought we would be 5-2 without Luck at QB, we are so lets appreciate it I say. With Luck we may of just been 5-2 IMO. 5-2 is a very good record.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Jdubu said:

Do we? Not one person can get open but TY out of all the guys we’ve had in and out of the team? Is it the players or is it the schemes? I’m questioning some of these routes and play calls. Offense was out coached today by a DC we fired and is now a head coach. 

Vic Fangio has always been a quality defensive coach. And he has good players to work with.  The fact that we fired him is not indicative of how good of a coach he is.

The Colts have not had a reliable WR next to TY for years.  I'd rather finally spend some capital to solve that problem than to start looking for a more expensive solution at QB, then saddle that guy with the same problem.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, colt18 said:

I mean...just because you can’t refute what I’m saying doesn’t mean I’m cherry picking.

Thats the reason he holds the ball. Our WRs besides TY don’t get much separation. When they do, the ball comes out. I’m not trying to be argumentative either, so please don’t take it the wrong way.

Fair enough. So that’s why in the thread I’ve said I’d like to see the routes in the all22 version because we can’t see whether anyone is getting open and JB is missing them or if the guys are just being blanketed. That was my whole point because unless someone has the whole field viewpoint and are posting here, none of us know this answer. I just find it extremely Odd that only TY can shake loose and get open but no other receiver can. It may be that way. It may be the routes they draw up aren’t freeing these guys up, it may be that JB isn’t reading coverages correctly. It could be a whole host of things. We just don’t have the answers here. We can, or should be able to agree that outside of the last drive, JB was a flop today as a QB.  He certainly gets tons of credit for shaking off that near safety and hitting TY, that was huge throw. It doesn’t excuse the rest today just as Vinny hitting the winner doesn’t excuse his awful year. 

JB is a newbie generally speaking for live fire starting QB’s, he gets time to mature and grow the skills he will need. It’s not like I’m ready to gut him and toss him out but if he plays like this, he won’t be the long term answer here I’d bet. I certainly hope he succeeds, it’s better for us. Great guy too. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Vic Fangio has always been a quality defensive coach. And he has good players to work with.  The fact that we fired him is not indicative of how good of a coach he is.

The Colts have not had a reliable WR next to TY for years.  I'd rather finally spend some capital to solve that problem than to start looking for a more expensive solution at QB, then saddle that guy with the same problem.

They did try to solve the issue. Ebron, Funchess at the minimum. Just unfortunate circumstances took Funch and JB isn’t clicking with EE like Luck did. Idk 

20 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I have to admit, today about gave me a heart attack and an ulcer but after the game people should be happy because we won. Winning is all that matters in reality. We have time to improve, plenty of season left. I doubt many people thought we would be 5-2 without Luck at QB, we are so lets appreciate it I say. With Luck we may of just been 5-2 IMO. 5-2 is a very good record.

Agreed. We had the perfect early season recipe to be a dumpster fire (franchise QB retiring), but they all have banded together and are fighting through the season potentially heading to the playoffs.

Great job by them to keep fighting and never folding or laying down when things don't go right for parts of a game.

They've been a very fun team to watch this year regardless of how it ends.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Jdubu said:

Odd that only TY can shake loose and get open but no other receiver can.

Or perhaps it's understood by JB and the coaches that when it's TY getting even slightly open it makes more sense to throw the damn ball because he'll find a way to catch it as compared to the other (mostly rookie) receivers?

1 minute ago, IinD said:

Agreed. We had the perfect early season recipe to be a dumpster fire (franchise QB retiring), but they all have banded together and are fighting through the season potentially heading to the playoffs.

Great job by them to keep fighting and never folding or laying down when things don't go right for parts of a game.

They've been a very fun team to watch this year regardless of how it ends.

Very fun season so far. Every game is close so how's that for entertainment too haha . I would prefer to win big though happy homer simpson GIF

• Like 1

I didn’t read this whole thread but I saw some extended highlights just now and just came to dump my thoughts here. The Bears came to play today with their backs against the wall. The Colts weren’t about to let that rob them though. The Colts are being coached right now better than they have been since before Chuck (meaning at some point before Chuck not necessarily the point when the guy before Chuck took over). Reich is getting the most he can get out of this team. Good win today. Keep up the fundamentals and keep playing hard and the possibilities are endless.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Jdubu said:

Fair enough. So that’s why in the thread I’ve said I’d like to see the routes in the all22 version because we can’t see whether anyone is getting open and JB is missing them or if the guys are just being blanketed. That was my whole point because unless someone has the whole field viewpoint and are posting here, none of us know this answer. I just find it extremely Odd that only TY can shake loose and get open but no other receiver can. It may be that way. It may be the routes they draw up aren’t freeing these guys up, it may be that JB isn’t reading coverages correctly. It could be a whole host of things. We just don’t have the answers here. We can, or should be able to agree that outside of the last drive, JB was a flop today as a QB.  

As you say, when watching on TV we don't know if receivers downfield are getting open or not. I'm like everyone else who watches on TV, I can't see the receivers downfield. I don't know if anyone is open or not.

If Brissett was not seeing open receivers when he had time in the pocket, then he was a flop.

But if receivers were well covered, then not only was he not a flop, he actually played very well by not forcing throws and doing what he could to help win the game.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, colt18 said:

TY has the least separation average out of the top 5 WRs/TEs on the team. TY (1.28), Doyle (1.54), Ebron (1.8), Rogers (2.15), Pascal (1.53). They don't list Hine's because he's a RB, but he's likely got the best separation on the team.

JB is also 25th in AGGN%, meaning he's throwing it into tight coverage more than 24 other QBs. 

TY is not slow, or bad, this just means he's doubled a lot. But he is definitely not the most open guy. Still, TY has more than double the targets compared to the next WR, and far more than any of the TEs. What this means is he forcing it a lot to TY, and probably because he's stuck on his first read. It's pretty obvious most of Reich's play calls are 1st read to TY, a TE, or a RB. The other WRs are getting open, they are just further down the progression.

14 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

lol. Were you not paying attention at how much pressure he had in him. The oline struggled. To get it down field you have to have time.

Nor every game is going to be good. There are good defenses in this league. This type of game is only going to help when we get to the playoffs.

JB's TTT today was his worst of the year I believe (3.05), and was 2nd worst in the league today. This means he's holding on too long, and while the OL was not perfect, he had plenty of time on average. If I had all 22 I'd screenshot a few plays where he had plenty of time, had open guys up the seam, but attempted to check down or simply locked onto his first read.

• Like 3

TY has the least separation average out of the top 5 WRs/TEs on the team. TY (1.28), Doyle (1.54), Ebron (1.8), Rogers (2.15), Pascal (1.53). They don't list Hine's because he's a RB, but he's likely got the best separation on the team.

JB is also 25th in AGGN%, meaning he's throwing it into tight coverage more than 24 other QBs. 

TY is not slow, or bad, this just means he's doubled a lot. But he is definitely not the most open guy. Still, TY has more than double the targets compared to the next WR, and far more than any of the TEs. What this means is he forcing it a lot to TY, and probably because he's stuck on his first read. It's pretty obvious most of Reich's play calls are 1st read to TY, a TE, or a RB. The other WRs are getting open, they are just further down the progression.

JB's TTT today was his worst of the year I believe (3.05), and was 2nd worst in the league today. This means he's holding on too long, and while the OL was not perfect, he had plenty of time on average. If I had all 22 I'd screenshot a few plays where he had plenty of time, had open guys up the seam, but attempted to check down or simply locked onto his first read.

Was that him or no one getting open. All around the offense struggled against a top 5 defense. We actually had more yards then Denver’s average.  Not every game is going to be pretty. Sometimes you have to win ugly. Just enjoy the win and stop over thinking it to much.