Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Most impressive win of the Reich/Ballard era

RockThatBlue

great win, ended on a sour-note with Turay, feeling so bad for him right now.  he really chased that last play around in circles and there were so many bodies entangled and moving around....it's just , ugh... hard to believe it happened.  How do we replace him?  good ole fashioned football though and proud to be a Colts fan.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Reich definitely has a vision for his offence.  We need the passing game to step up.  With how we dominated on the run, there had to b plays in the passing game.  Not sure if that is on Brissett or the receivers...or both??

KC pass D is pretty good too, they committed to doubling TY and Ebron

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, bestQBever said:

Other than the call on 2nd and 2 near the goal line, Reich was brilliant. The BIGGEST reason we won this game though was the two lines. O line and D line compeltely and utterly dominated.

I got nervous when we were out of time outs at the 11:55 mark of the 4th but yeah, he coached a great game

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Reich definitely has a vision for his offence.  We need the passing game to step up.  With how we dominated on the run, there had to b plays in the passing game.  Not sure if that is on Brissett or the receivers...or both??

Why are you so obsessed with the passing game?

It's not the only way to win. You just saw the best passing team get pounded by the more physical team. 

We need to improve at creating big plays, but we can do that.

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Our WR corps are not deep in talented receivers. The only really dependable targets we have are TY and maybe Doyle.  That really makes it too easy for defensive planners right now.

Long story short there's a reason I want this team to go after Stefon Diggs.

But that's a subject for another thread. Right now we need to focus on how HUGE this game was in setting us up for a run to the playoffs.  Even with Turay out, I think this team got a lot better this week with young players stepping up and being counted.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, GoatBeard said:

Why are you so obsessed with the passing game?

It's not the only way to win. You just saw the best passing team get pounded by the more physical team. 

We need to improve at creating big plays, but we can do that.

Don't be too hard on them.  A lot of us are still used to "improving on offense" being effectively synonymous with "improving the pass game."  Give them time, they'll figure it out

4 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

I know and that's more concerning .  Had to b guys one on one and open.   

Maybe but I think the game plan was to keep pounding with Mack and Wilkins(who has a great game too) once we had a lead. Keep that clock ticking.

• Like 1

Just now, RockThatBlue said:

What do you mean why? Almost our entire secondary was hurt plus Leonard. Mahomes should've put 40+ on us.

that's why we don't play these games on paper.

Again, I knew we had a chance when Mahomes started limping.  We did exactly what we needed to do to contain him.  Brilliant defensive gameplan.

• Like 2

Just now, RockThatBlue said:

What do you mean why? Almost our entire secondary was hurt plus Leonard. Mahomes should've put 40+ on us.

I think what he’s saying is that we won this game from start to finish, not that we got lucky as is the case when most say “we should not have won”. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, shastamasta said:

I mean...we are talking about a 19 game sample.

I would say the HOU playoff game was the best win of the Reich/Ballard era...they simply dominated that game in all aspects. But this is up there with the DAL game.

That Dallas game was a good one too.

But they did something tonight that transcends just a good performance.

They beat one of the top 2-3 teams in football, on the road and I thought our QB easily played his worst game of the year.

Dont get it twisted, Brisset struggled tonight, but that's why I like the construct of this team they dont necessarily need him to be great. He will improve and then we will be scary.

• Like 3

I have to agree with that headline....especially for a single game. As far as overall Reich performance, his turning around a 1-5 and not losing the clubhouse was pretty special too. Probably the same way he got the layers to believe in  the turnaround has a lot to do with getting a team to believe you can win even when the media and all expects a slaughter.

• Like 1

Just now, Imgrandojji said:

that's why we don't play these games on paper.

Again, I knew we had a chance when Mahomes started limping.  We did exactly what we needed to do to contain him.  Brilliant defensive gameplan.

I’ve said it before, mobile QBs that make their money on making big plays by scrambling don’t last forever. Once they get banged up or contained, their career paths normally trend downward quickly. Usually have a 3 maybe 4 year flash life span.

Michael Vick

RG3

Kapernick,

steve McNair 

Vince Young

Etc.

Now I think Mahomes is better than all of them, but time will tell if he’s got staying power or not.

i also think Lamar Jackson is gonna be in the same boat.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, GoatBeard said:

That Dallas game was a good one too.

But they did something tonight that transcends just a good performance.

They beat one of the top 2-3 teams in football, on the road and I thought our QB easily played his worst game of the year.

Dont get it twisted, Brisset struggled tonight, but that's why I like the construct of this team they dont necessarily need him to be great. He will improve and then we will be scary.

He missed a few throws for sure but he played reserved. I think he fits the scheme well.

3 minutes ago, AZCardinals8 said:

Mahomes was clearly hurt. He was shredding this team before the injury. Without Watkins, and Hill. 

Yeah cause we beat on him all night and took their line to the woodshed!

We were wondering at one point if we were gonna have enough corners to finish the game.

I dont feel bad for Mahommes.

• Like 5

Ecstatic about the W, of course.  And thank God for the bye week.  We need it.

But Turay’s injury looked really bad.  Maybe a dislocated ankle?  His foot was pointing a direction that feet aren’t supposed to point.  I fear we’ve seen the last of KT this year.  And he’s really been playing well.

4 minutes ago, AZCardinals8 said:

Mahomes was clearly hurt. He was shredding this team before the injury. Without Watkins, and Hill. 

Maybe, but he didn’t get dinged up until late in the 2nd quarter, and even then, looked ok in the third for a bit.

and he was off after that 1st TD drive, which they got extremely lucky with him buying time anyway. I would dispute the shredded part.