Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Luck And The Colts Run Game

wercolts

Stanford ran the ball 518 times for 2738 yards in 2011, 535/2779 in 2010 and 536/2837 in 2009. A good running game played a huge role in Luck's success. The Colts will have to do a lot better than Brown/Carter if they want to give this kid a chance. Sign Michael Bush.

No, Michael bush isnt even special... Donald brown showed he can run the ball, Carter had fumbling issues but the guy can run and is strong not to mention he had moves. Right now Donald is exactly what this team needs cause whoever the QB is gonna be will need help from his RB on screens.

I don't think D will be the only focus. We signed Reggie and Justive in FA and I believe the draft will be O heavy. I'd be surprised to see a running back drafted in the first 4 rounds though.

in my draft we go luck and a Wr in the second then corner, NT, corner ,then Center

Stanford ran the ball 518 times for 2738 yards in 2011, 535/2779 in 2010 and 536/2837 in 2009. A good running game played a huge role in Luck's success. The Colts will have to do a lot better than Brown/Carter if they want to give this kid a chance. Sign Michael Bush.

I wouldnt mind this signing to go along with what we have. Hes a strong runner and underrated receiver

I really like Brown/Carter, but I agree I like Bush alot and think he has huge upside.

Until we solidify the OG position.... the rushing attack will be chasing its own tail.

I know its not glamorous folks.... but our OGs, and consequently our run game has sucked since 2007.

I like Michael Bush but we need OGs who are more than "dancing bear" pass blockers.

Until we solidify the OG position.... the rushing attack will be chasing its own tail.

I know its not glamorous folks.... but our OGs, and consequently our run game has sucked since 2007.

I like Michael Bush but we need OGs who are more than "dancing bear" pass blockers.

^^^ This guy right here. Olinemen play a lot more of a role in the run game than the backs do. We could put Darren Evans back there with a strong Oline and he'll get 4.5 yards a carry. Or we could put Chris Johnson back there with a crap line and he'll get 3 yards.

I think between the two of them, Delone Carter is probably my starter going into camp. I really don't have any problems stacking him up against other starters in the NFL. He is a good RB. As for Brown....sigh....I'd honestly rather have Brandon Jacobs. If you can get Jacobs past the first level, he turns into a monster to bring down. Just having him as a battering ram against opposing LBs & DBs to me is invaluable.

^^^ This guy right here. Olinemen play a lot more of a role in the run game than the backs do. We could put Darren Evans back there with a strong Oline and he'll get 4.5 yards a carry. Or we could put Chris Johnson back there with a crap line and he'll get 3 yards.

very true

No, Michael bush isnt even special... Donald brown showed he can run the ball, Carter had fumbling issues but the guy can run and is strong not to mention he had moves. Right now Donald is exactly what this team needs cause whoever the QB is gonna be will need help from his RB on screens.

Agree, and have Carter carry around a football everywhere he goes in OTA's and camp. At any time, any player or coach swipes at it to knock it out. That should help Carter hang on to the pigskin with a little more authority. Use these two, and shore up other needs.

Are there any Ray Rice type backs coming-out of the draft? Short compact and the ability to run like their life depends on it.

I like Michael Bush and he has showed some serious bouts of talent running the ball. He never got the number 1 shot with DMC ahead of him. He could be a great addition to the team but I think he is going to be a Bengal. Of course after the draft if Cedric Benson is still out there he may get an invite.

Look at what the Falcons did...In Matt Ryan's first year, they went with a run heavy offense with Michael Turner and it worked extremely well, they made the playoffs in his rookie year. Now, Im not saying go run heavy, but a balanced offense or a slightly run heavy offense is the way to go. Giving Luck a lot of opportunities to pass would help him develop, but they can't rely on him too much in his rookie year. Give Donald Brown and Delone Carter around a total of 350 times. Then you give Luck the opportunity to throw around 455-470 times.

Vastly different defenses....

You cant protect him by running the ball as much as they did and he probably wouldnt want that.'

'

Playing indoors ...you better throw the ball and score points because, if we dont, the other side will.

I want him to throw a lot..His ability to throw and throw on the move is a strength.

I'm looking forward to seeing that

If our starting RB is already on the roster were are done. Brown can't pass protect and Carter is the better option of the two but he's not the answer. I say we need to draft LeMichael James. That would also give us a Punt returner. We need a RB bad. I was hoping they would bring Hillis in to pound the ball. This area will need to be addressed in the draft. Luck is going to need a run game to survive.

Vastly different defenses....

You cant protect him by running the ball as much as they did and he probably wouldnt want that.'

'

Playing indoors ...you better throw the ball and score points because, if we dont, the other side will.

I want him to throw a lot..His ability to throw and throw on the move is a strength.

I'm looking forward to seeing that

If we have a crappy defense.... again..... and no ball-control run/pass balance.... again.... then i agree with you Mark.

But we HAVE to add more run/pass balance to the playbook and the players to get it done.

We just witnessed 14 years of the best passer in NFL history having won just 1 Super Bowl.... and knowing that we got bounced out of the playoffs on 1 occasion and I would argue 2 occasions where our rushing attack was completely stalled at critical times.... not to mention our crummy statistical performance running the ball during the regular season for the past 5 years.

We need to subtract 1-2 possessions per game from our opponents either by good defense/turnovers or methodical ball control offense as the situation dictates.

And we need to have the ability to do both.

Did most of the people in this thread stop watching the second half of the season last year? DB showed that when given a legitimate chance, he can play in this league. He has some of the best advanced matrix in the league for running backs last year. No doubt he will have a very solid season in 2012 as the starter.

how do any of us even know that someone won't emerge, people say that we need to sign another RB or that Brown and Carter aren't good.

Brown only started a few games and Carter played maybe a game total all of last year.

Give these guys one season of starting and being that one two punch

Colts simply will have a way below average run game that will upset alot of fans for a few years because:

1) We have too many areas to address, and the running game is low on the list, defense high.

2) Colts have drafted "Pass Protection" short and lightweight OL for years. We will have to up grade here to have any running game and that will take a couple years at best.

3) They will use a high draft pick in a year or two to find a running back to grow with Luck. Think long term and the RB is a key player.

4) Brown can not block to save his life, or the QB's, but is a good enough RB to get by with in the short term.

5) Carter will be used in short yardage situations good enough to get by with.

no way he lasts till 7th round. not a chance.

Owusu is talented but he doesn't have injury issues, he has concussion issues. Big difference. He has been knocked completely unconscious in four games that I remember. I'm talking stretcher on the field unconscious.. He'll make a team, but I wouldn't be shocked if he went undrafted.

Colts simply will have a way below average run game that will upset alot of fans for a few years because:

1) We have too many areas to address, and the running game is low on the list, defense high.

2) Colts have drafted "Pass Protection" short and lightweight OL for years. We will have to up grade here to have any running game and that will take a couple years at best.

3) They will use a high draft pick in a year or two to find a running back to grow with Luck. Think long term and the RB is a key player.

4) Brown can not block to save his life, or the QB's, but is a good enough RB to get by with in the short term.

5) Carter will be used in short yardage situations good enough to get by with.

I guess I don't quite see it the same way.

1) I agree, we have too many holes, running game isn't a priority... but IMO because our RBs aren't that bad.

2) Actually, the effort in recent years was to go larger. McClendon is gone, but both Ijalana and Castanzo are not "pass protection" only, short, or lightweight. We didn't get to reap the benefits of a larger line last year because of injuries and too much turnover. I agree with a few posters in other threads... I think with Justice (and I would love to see us add a FA guard), we could have the makings of a much more solid, run-game-oriented OLine, providing the guys we have can stay healthy.

3) They might, but I'm really interested to see what the RBs we have can do with a better line. I'm also not worried about any RBs "growing with Luck". The careers of most RBs are just too short. I'd be more interested in getting a killer center and a couple young stud WRs and/or TEs to develop that career-long chemistry with Luck.

4) Not sure what the scheme will be this next year under Pagano... RB blocking may not be a huge part of the "New Colts' play book" for all I know.

5) I'm inclined to give Carter more than his rookie year to decide what he can do, and where he fits in, especially with what promises to be a completely overhauled team and playbook. Besides, I'll wager that even if Grigson isn't everything we hope he is, he is still a better talent evaluator than any of us.

the colts need to sign a FB to lead the way, they ran the ball better with a fullback last year as brown/carter combined ran close to 1500 yards. thats where i thought vickers would have been a good signing but i think thats who the cowboys signed yesterday

I thought Jerome Felton did a nice job lead blocking last year. IMO, Brown & Carter both looked comfortable in the I-formation.

I thought Jerome Felton did a nice job lead blocking last year. IMO, Brown & Carter both looked comfortable in the I-formation.

didnt they let felton go? i coulda sworn i seen his name in the FA list. but i agree felton did a real good job, and i definently agree both carter and brown were very comftorble in the I-formation they both combined for over 1,000 yards in the final 8 weeks of the season.