Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Who Plays Center?

Scott Pennock

I ask this because with the trade for Winston Justice it appears that the Castonzo - Rietz - ?????? - Ilijana - Justice offensive line should be fairly solid and relatively young!??!

Resign Jeff Saturday?

A.Q. Shipley - 2008 Rimington Winner at Penn State........drafted by Pittsburg, signed with Eagles...........now with us.......

Jake Kirkpatrick - 2010 Rimington Winner at TCU and on our PS last year..........

Mike Pollack - Played Center at ASU (and everybody's favorite whipping boy)...........

Obviously there is "talent" on the roster, do you think the front office sticks with the status quo?

Or?

Thoughts...............

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If Jeff does not return, Pollak would be the best bet. He has experience playing as a center in college, he played it for 4 years, and was good. He was one of the top centers in the 2008 draft. If he isn't resign, then I would go with Kirkpatrick, good potential and a thick strong guy.

I don't think we should go with Jeff. I say we get or promote a younger guy. For him and Luck to develop together.

Sort of like Saturday and Manning early on.

I think it really payed off, how many snap fumbles did you see from Peyton and Jeff?

Excellent point.............I am thinking they stick with one of Shipley or Kirkpatrick to build that rapport with Luck for the forseeable future!

If Jeff does not return, Pollak would be the best bet. He has experience playing as a center in college, he played it for 4 years, and was good. He was one of the top centers in the 2008 draft. If he isn't resigned, then I would go with Kirkpatrick, good potential and a thick strong guy.

^This.

In the limited time Pollak got at center (probably more during pre-season), he looked really good and natural, much like Angerer looked at MLB.

Pollak is still young enough to develop a rapport with Luck. Early in Manning's career, they did go more 2 TE looks with Pollard and Dilger, not sure if that was protection related or just the fact that Tom Moore felt that you could run both running plays and passing plays without easily being diagnosed by the D. The no huddle and freedom to audible came with experience.

It will be fun to watch, the development of a young highly touted QB like Peyton, and the chemistry with the O-line.

I posted in an earlier thread about possibly having 3 Remington award winners. I belive Shipley will win the battle at C. He is a little stronger, faster, and has 0.5 inch loger arms. We might also be able to draft Molk from Michigan in round 5 which would give us 3 Remington award Cs,

If Jeff does not return, Pollak would be the best bet. He has experience playing as a center in college, he played it for 4 years, and was good. He was one of the top centers in the 2008 draft. If he isn't resign, then I would go with Kirkpatrick, good potential and a thick strong guy.

Said it perfectly. In order, it should be Saturday, Pollak, Kirkpatrick

Said it perfectly. In order, it should be Saturday, Pollak, Kirkpatrick

Pollack has been injured every year he has played. He has not been resigned yet. Kirkpatrick had a chance in the shortened training camp and was cut. Saturday is old and will probably retire. I wish Saturday would come back as a OL coach.

Pollack has been injured every year he has played. He has not been resigned yet. Kirkpatrick had a chance in the shortened training camp and was cut. Saturday is old and will probably retire. I wish Saturday would come back as a OL coach.

Pollak has also improved every year he has been in the league despite being forced to play out of his natural position

Pollak has also improved every year he has been in the league despite being forced to play out of his natural position

This. He wasnt a good fit at guard and still managed to be serviceable as he learned the position.

He's still decently young too and should come cheap.

Saturday called the protections I just hope the next guy is half as good. Saturday is perhaps one of the most under-rated centers in football outside Indy IMO. Was Howard Mudd our o-line coach a few years back?? Whoever it was bring them back lol. Seriously I like getting former great prospects for cheap. They had skills/ability/promise at one point. Perhaps the right coaching situation and we get something special...even if just one works out. Better than cheap scrubs lol..at least they were good once. Who was it Tony Manderich or whatever that was such a bust in GB a long time ago and then we got him fairly cheap and thought washed up....then he turned into a nice rt for many years. Overhyped and labled a bust but we got a solid player. Pollak seems to be the choice...i don't see too many 7 step drops next year anyways so I think we will be ok. I know Peyton made us better by getting rid of the ball so fast but that said we ran the ball ok last year and the reason we had so many sacks was because we got into WAAAAY to many 3rd a long situations where we were predictable. Hopefully Luck keeps us out of those. I see a lot of safe calls next year 1st and 2nd down runs and hopefully 3rd and 2 or 3....screens...short passes and such to keep Luck healthy as he learns the league.

Improved but still could not get a starting spot. Even Reitz played over him.

That's because Reitz played LG and Pollak played RG. There is a difference, even though it's the same position. The RG has many more responsibilities than an LG. It's tougher to play RG than LG. Pollak's natural position is C, not guard, so he had to learn that position when he came into the league. That's never easy.

At guard. Pollak's best position is C. I'm sure Addai would be a decent route runner, but he is a much better RB. You can't play a guy out of position and expect him to do great

G and C are not that far apart. I remember a game the Colts played against the Broncos where Saturday played G for a special matchup and played like an all pro.

I ask this because with the trade for Winston Justice it appears that the Castonzo - Rietz - ?????? - Ilijana - Justice offensive line should be fairly solid and relatively young!??!

Resign Jeff Saturday?

A.Q. Shipley - 2008 Rimington Winner at Penn State........drafted by Pittsburg, signed with Eagles...........now with us.......

Jake Kirkpatrick - 2010 Rimington Winner at TCU and on our PS last year..........

Mike Pollack - Played Center at ASU (and everybody's favorite whipping boy)...........

Obviously there is "talent" on the roster, do you think the front office sticks with the status quo?

Or?

Thoughts...............

TBA at this point. Colts may try to bring back Saturday or Pollak. They might trust the young kid they just signed . They might go after one of the free agents (two more were just released today) or they might draft someone.

I think you bring up an interesting point about Ijalana going to guard. I know the old staff just said no to it all together. Kravitz seems to think the reason they got Justice was because Pagano is not sold on Ijalana as a tackle. So I could very easily see him being moved to guard.

G and C are not that far apart. I remember a game the Colts played against the Broncos where Saturday played G for a special matchup and played like an all pro.

That's probably because he's spent so many years on that same line that making a switch like that would not be tough. Switching from guard to center isn't the toughest, but center to guard is pretty tough. It really hurts your intial first step and your initial explosion.

That's probably because he's spent so many years on that same line that making a switch like that would not be tough. Switching from guard to center isn't the toughest, but center to guard is pretty tough. It really hurts your intial first step and your initial explosion.

Saturday's switch was from C to G the same as Pollack. Pollack has played 4 seasons with the Colts and trained under Howard Mudd to play both.

Saturday's switch was from C to G the same as Pollack. Pollack has played 4 seasons with the Colts and trained under Howard Mudd to play both.

True, but who has more experience, Saturday or Pollak, the more experienced one has an easier transition. Pollak can come in and play C right away if you ask me.

Go after our center, since we're just giving our O-lineman away.

Yeah....do you guys really think you can get Mario back...and why do you need him with how you played without him...or then why do you need the cap space that you guys are freeing up? That line made holes for Foster and Schaub could end up with worse injury if you don't find replacements.

We are talking about Jeff Saturday all-pro center and one of the best linemen we have ever had correct? Of course he could move over to guard he was great player and did it for one game. Doesn't mean an avg player can achieve that. I don't think comparing anyone to Jeff is a good idea because that guy was elite. I have hopes for Pollack but all these theories about it because what Jeff did I don't think factor into this. This guy is not on Jeffs level and I think if he has a chance to play it would be at his natural position.

True, but who has more experience, Saturday or Pollak, the more experienced one has an easier transition. Pollak can come in and play C right away if you ask me.

4 years should have been long enough. Reitz did not play OL in college and made a better transition. Any way it is probably a moot point because we are so close to not having salary space that he probably will not be resigned.

Guards are required to pull more often and are usually more athletic than centers. Of course, duties vary with each offense. They're somewhat similar, but not identical. It's like having a WR play DB. The positions are similar (and in fact, a running joke among football players it that DBs are WRs that can't catch), but not identical. It's possible to have someone who can do both decently, but rarely will you find someone who will excel at both

TBA at this point. Colts may try to bring back Saturday or Pollak. They might trust the young kid they just signed . They might go after one of the free agents (two more were just released today) or they might draft someone. I think you bring up an interesting point about Ijalana going to guard. I know the old staff just said no to it all together. Kravitz seems to think the reason they got Justice was because Pagano is not sold on Ijalana as a tackle. So I could very easily see him being moved to guard.

trust me you dont want Justice as the RT, philly OL sucked on 2010 and he was benched even with that bad of an OL..He is a good run blocke trough. i think Justice will be the RG and ijalana the RT.

trust me you dont want Justice as the RT, philly OL sucked on 2010 and he was benched even with that bad of an OL..He is a good run blocke trough. i think Justice will be the RG and ijalana the RT.

You are mistakening me reporting what Kravitz was saying for it being what I wanted. I want which ever one is the best tackle to start.

I agree with you. I believe Ijalana will go to tackle and Justice to G.

Diem wasnt that bad but he got old and it showed. he was a good RT IMO

well i thought he looked like he was doing his own personal ballet every play. IMO he was bad. One of those, Polian got him in the 4th round with a magic trade guys so he had to stick around, like eg green.

:) sorry..just saying, dont pencill him the starting RT and Ijalana the RG.

I think like last year we are going to see some mixing and matching in camp and the pre-season. I haven't seen many other than fans who have said Ijalana should play guard. As we saw with Linkenbach a couple of years ago sometimes a guy is just a tackle. We also have all of the off-season to go plus the draft so I doubt we are done making moves. Those two will probably have an impact on who starts on the line. So I would agree it is a very fluid situation right now.