Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Lucks calf injury

Farns01

Takes on a new perspective since Kevin Durant injured his achilles.  Now I can see why Coach Reich is in no rush to hurry Luck back.  On ESPN NFL Live both the Hassleback brothers were commenting about calf strains can turn into achilles injuries if not properly handled.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Farns01 said:

Takes on a new perspective since Kevin Durant injured his achilles.  Now I can see why Coach Reich is in no rush to hurry Luck back.  On ESPN NFL Live both the Hassleback brothers were commenting about calf strains can turn into achilles injuries if not properly handled.

No doubt!! Reich even called it a no-brainer (that even sitting out the mini-camp that he would be ready for full-throttle training camp). He's about to get 6 weeks to let that thing heal.  He turns 30 when the season starts, we don't need Luck to add insult to injury... that "A" word is just a bad, bad word in any sport.

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, chrisfarley said:

No doubt!! Reich even called it a no-brainer (that even sitting out the mini-camp that he would be ready for full-throttle training camp). He's about to get 6 weeks to let that thing heal.  He turns 30 when the season starts, we don't need Luck to add insult to injury... that "A" word is just a bad, bad word in any sport.

I agree. When I seen Durant go down last night the 1st thing I thought of was Luck. A Calf injury is nothing to mess around with because of the Achilles. As long is Luck 100% by Pre-season that is all that matters to me. The rest of this stuff is meaningless. Luck and Ebron looked liked they played together for 10 years before last season and they didn't have much work together. No way I risk an major injury to our franchise QB to participate in anything now.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Farns01 said:

I know I worried about that when I saw Durant go down. The Colts need to use extreme caution in this situation and it sounds that’s what there doing. This makes me worry a little this season is counting on a healthy Luck. So if means no workouts on that calf until 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Farns01 said:

:scoregood:

2 minutes ago, Superman said:

What's unfortunate about people watching and liking the NBA?

IMO it's because of what the NBA has turned into.  The highlight plays are exciting, and the last minute of the game is exciting if it's close.  So highlight reels on ESPN are fun to watch.

But if you're a fan of the game of basketball (scheme, strategy, matchups, actually playing defense) you're better off watching college and high school basketball.

There's also not as much parity.

:2c:

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Superman said:

Because I am looking at it from a Pacers fan point of view. Our owner refuses to go over the Salary Cap to build a super team so I have to sit around knowing the Pacers will never win a championship. To answer your question even better, the NBA needs a hard cap otherwise most teams have 0 chance to win the NBA championship going into a season. Raptors lucked into to getting Leonard because the Spurs were dumb enough to trade him. Reason I still watch, I love basketball but the NBA needs a hard cap otherwise I can't take it serious in today's game.

When the Cavs had LeBron, they were 35-40 million over the Salary Cap to keep them winning. What is the point of having a Salary Cap in reality in the NBA when 2 or 3 owners will just go over it to have stacked teams? You have to pay a luxury tax for going over but who cares if you are a billionaire owner. Dan Gilbert did it for the Cavs and he still has more money than he will ever spend. The Pacers owner will not though. I guess he never wants to win the big one like the Cavs did in 2016. 

• Like 2

I didn't need a new perspective.  I knew why the Coaches were holding him out of non essential OTAs and minicamp.  But I also don't have any illusions that somehow his time will be less with guys like Funchess and Paris because he did not get those 50 throws a day in during that time.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

IMO it's because of what the NBA has turned into.  The highlight plays are exciting, and the last minute of the game is exciting if it's close.  So highlight reels on ESPN are fun to watch.

But if you're a fan of the game of basketball (scheme, strategy, matchups, actually playing defense) you're better off watching college and high school basketball.

There's also not as much parity.

:2c:

Okay, that's your opinion. I agree with some of it, disagree with some of it. But I still like and watch the NBA, and there's nothing wrong with that. If you don't like it, don't watch. 

No salt, just wondering why it's considered "unfortunate" that people still enjoy something that you don't. I don't like soccer, and don't watch it, but it doesn't bother me that others do. Hockey, no thanks, but knock yourself out. Regular season baseball, I'll pass, but you feel free. I don't find it unfortunate that someone else finds enjoyment in any of these things that aren't interesting to me.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Because I am looking at it from a Pacers fan point of view. Our owner refuses to go over the Salary Cap to build a super team so I have to sit around knowing the Pacers will never win a championship. To answer your question even better, the NBA needs a hard cap otherwise most teams have 0 chance to win the NBA championship going into a season. Raptors lucked into to getting Leonard because the Spurs were dumb enough to trade him. Reason I still watch, I love basketball but the NBA needs a hard cap otherwise I can't take it serious in today's game.

When the Cavs had LeBron, they were 35-40 million over the Salary Cap to keep them winning. What is the point of having a Salary Cap in reality in the NBA when 2 or 3 owners will just go over it to have stacked teams? You have to pay a luxury tax for going over but who cares if you are a billionaire owner. Dan Gilbert did it for the Cavs and he still has more money than he will ever spend. The Pacers owner will not though. I guess he never wants to win the big one like the Cavs did in 2016. 

Wrong thread for this, so sorry to derail, but let me respond.

The reason you can't have a hard cap in the NBA is because you have fully guaranteed contracts. It wouldn't work (also the reason people need to stop clamoring for fully guaranteed contracts in the NFL; they're bad for NBA and MLB, and would be worse for the NFL). 

Another reason: This is how the NBA owners want it. Small market owners (not all, but most) want to be subsidized by the revenue sharing from big market teams, and they are okay with those big market teams going into the luxury tax and repeater tax because it increases the profits for the smaller market teams. Then, every few years or so, a small market team that has drafted a star or two can make a big run for a couple years, then tear it back down in the name of fiscal responsibility, even though they've been well in the black for multiple consecutive seasons. 

And this is not new. The cap is relatively new in the NBA (30 years or so); before that, it was the Lakers, Celtics, Knicks, Sixers, and basically anyone else was just regular season fodder. You think there's no parity now, it's 50 times better than it used to be. And the fact that the Bucks and Raptors were in the ECF while the Knicks and Lakers can't get in the playoffs for many years speaks volumes to parity. It also illustrates what an NBA team in a small market has to do to contend -- draft well, embrace change, empower your star players on the court, and add well rounded players to complement them. And the Pacers would have been in the mix if not for a freak injury to their best player.

End of the day, I just took exception to the initial post because I don't get why there's something wrong with other people liking something that you don't enjoy. The NBA is incredibly popular right now; they must be doing something right, and the perceived lack of parity must not be as off-putting to NBA fans in general as it is to you.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Simon is extremely tight with his money despite all the city does to accommodate him with millions of dollars a year.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Superman said:

I'm one who watches it too and idk why either especially when I know every year the Pacers have a 0% chance to win a championship. I honestly dont blame people that dont watch anymore I'm getting to the point where I can barley tolerate it myself it sucks being a fan of any team not in a big market totally different from football where any team can win.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, lollygagger8 said:

They should change the name to the NFA - National Flop Association 

Doesn't quite have the same ring to it, though...

Don't get me wrong, there are things about the NBA that drive me crazy. Flopping is one of them, or manipulating the refs in any way. The refs are also pretty bad.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

I'm one who watches it too and idk why either especially when I know every year the Pacers have a 0% chance to win a championship. I honestly dont blame people that dont watch anymore I'm getting to the point where I can barley tolerate it myself it sucks being a fan of any team not in a big market totally different from football where any team can win.

Agreed, I'm a Nuggets fan, and they finally have a decent enough team to win a playoff series. I don't know if this year was an outlier or the new norm. Also have had to dealt with the Braves on a 17 year streak without winning a playoff series because they were mid/low market. They might finally win something this year. Makes it hard to invest time into anything but football.

• Like 1

Back on topic, when your best and most important player is nursing a nagging injury in the offseason, you prioritize his health over everything else. I don't care if they cancel OTAs and minicamp practices, if it meant the team came into training camp 100% healthy.

Especially Luck. This guy didn't practice or throw at all in the offseason in 2017 or 2018, and still won Comeback Player of the Year and had a really strong season in 2018. If anyone can afford to miss practices in June, it's him. The real work begins in late July.

And by the way, don't rule out some private throwing sessions with some receivers in the next few weeks, assuming his calf is 100%.

The KD injury is dramatically different, and doesn't really apply. But it doesn't take much analysis to see that light practices in the middle of the offseason have much different stakes than Game 5 of the NBA Finals, when your team is down 3-1.

1 hour ago, Superman said:

And this is not new. The cap is relatively new in the NBA (30 years or so); before that, it was the Lakers, Celtics, Knicks, Sixers, and basically anyone else was just regular season fodder. You think there's no parity now, it's 50 times better than it used to be. And the fact that the Bucks and Raptors were in the ECF while the Knicks and Lakers can't get in the playoffs for many years speaks volumes to parity. It also illustrates what an NBA team in a small market has to do to contend -- draft well, embrace change, empower your star players on the court, and add well rounded players to complement them. And the Pacers would have been in the mix if not for a freak injury to their best player.

I totally disagree with that.   It's just parity done differently.   In 1981 there were only 23 teams as opposed to 30, so it makes sense to get some of the same teams doing well.   The lack of parity back then was mostly due to several franchises being the big dogs.   Today the lack of parity may change, but it is still ruled by the super teams.   Who didn't have the Warriors in the finals to start the season?   Toronto was one of 3 in the East most had going.   We knew the ceiling for the Pacers was the Eastern Finals before Dipo went down.  I'm sure there are exceptions.   But once the super teams are formed after FA, we'll be able to guess who will be the top 4-5 teams in the league again. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Myles said:

I totally disagree with that.   It's just parity done differently.   In 1981 there were only 23 teams as opposed to 30, so it makes sense to get some of the same teams doing well.   The lack of parity back then was mostly due to several franchises being the big dogs.   Today the lack of parity may change, but it is still ruled by the super teams.   Who didn't have the Warriors in the finals to start the season?   Toronto was one of 3 in the East most had going.   We knew the ceiling for the Pacers was the Eastern Finals before Dipo went down.  I'm sure there are exceptions.   But once the super teams are formed after FA, we'll be able to guess who will be the top 4-5 teams in the league again. 

Just because you know who the best teams will be at the beginning of the season doesn't mean there's no parity. Especially when we're talking about the small market / big market disparity.

Parity in sports isn't about unpredictability. It's about leveling the playing field -- to an extent -- so that bad teams can get better, and so that it's not as easy for dominant teams to stay dominant. In 1981, there was no salary cap, free agency wasn't a thing, and there were no max contracts. Parity really didn't exist.

And specific to Indiana, it's telling that the two teams that would have probably beat them in the playoffs are smaller market teams that are more traditionally built through the draft and trades, not a bunch of veteran players coming together in their primes. Toronto is not a super team, Milwaukee is not a super team. The only team that would have been projected as something resembling a super team in the East was Boston, and they played better without their veteran stars.

The Warriors actually built organically. Being able to add KD was an anomaly due to a sudden sharp increase in the salary cap. And they are the rare team that could reasonably keep their superstar core together for an extended period of time. 

3 hours ago, superrep1967 said:

Simon is extremely tight with his money despite all the city does to accommodate him with millions of dollars a year.

Honestly this is starting to irk me a bit. I love the Pacers, but sweet Murphy the city and state basically bend over backwards for Simon (and being honest it’s not just Pacers oriented, either.)

Simon is ok with getting close, but he won’t hit the gas pedal even for a minute. 

• Like 2

Durant was out about, before the NBA playoffs started, So not knowing the extent of his injury, other than the team report given, "A calf strain", each time it was brought up in the media, one wonders if they knew it was much more serious than the team let on. Being down 3-1 and seeming in a disarray, they seemed desperate. But being the competitor Durant is maybe he thought he was ready. But for him after being out so long instead of easing back in it, he looked like he tried to do too much too fast. We all know what happened to Luck when he tried to rehab ahead of schedule.    

2 hours ago, John Waylon said:

Honestly this is starting to irk me a bit. I love the Pacers, but sweet Murphy the city and state basically bend over backwards for Simon (and being honest it’s not just Pacers oriented, either.)

Simon is ok with getting close, but he won’t hit the gas pedal even for a minute. 

Well. I love the Pacers to but not as much as the Colts. I'm just thankful that Irsay will spend whatever it takes to bring home a winner and you can say what you want about him and it's probably all true but he's a great owner Simon not so much and he's probably richer than Irsay to. 

7 hours ago, Superman said:

Wrong thread for this, so sorry to derail, but let me respond.

The reason you can't have a hard cap in the NBA is because you have fully guaranteed contracts. It wouldn't work (also the reason people need to stop clamoring for fully guaranteed contracts in the NFL; they're bad for NBA and MLB, and would be worse for the NFL). 

Another reason: This is how the NBA owners want it. Small market owners (not all, but most) want to be subsidized by the revenue sharing from big market teams, and they are okay with those big market teams going into the luxury tax and repeater tax because it increases the profits for the smaller market teams. Then, every few years or so, a small market team that has drafted a star or two can make a big run for a couple years, then tear it back down in the name of fiscal responsibility, even though they've been well in the black for multiple consecutive seasons. 

End of the day, I just took exception to the initial post because I don't get why there's something wrong with other people liking something that you don't enjoy. The NBA is incredibly popular right now; they must be doing something right, and the perceived lack of parity must not be as off-putting to NBA fans in general as it is to you.

I would agree with this pretty much to the t (big NBA/Pacers fan myself). Only thing that I would add is that because of how the NBA/NCAA has worked out the eligibility of collegiate players (one and done), it has become even tougher for small market teams to nail their draft picks. A good portion of the players that come out of college aren't fully developed players yet and a number of them spend years on the bench or in the G-League.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I agree. When I seen Durant go down last night the 1st thing I thought of was Luck. A Calf injury is nothing to mess around with because of the Achilles. As long is Luck 100% by Pre-season that is all that matters to me. The rest of this stuff is meaningless. Luck and Ebron looked liked they played together for 10 years before last season and they didn't have much work together. No way I risk an major injury to our franchise QB to participate in anything now.

If he isn't participating in practice by the start of TC or second week of I will be very worried.