Jump to content
TheMose

Where does Nyheim Hines rank among receiving backs right now?

Where does Nyheim Hines rank among receiving backs right now?  

46 members have voted

  1. 1. Where do you have Nyheim Hines ranked currently among the rest of the receiving backs in the NFL. This includes players like Tarik Cohen, Duke Johnson, James White and Chris Thompson whose role is solely receiving and also the workhorse backs who also catch like Christian McCaffrey, Alvin Kamara, and Saquon Barkley. But only rank their receiving abilities.

    • 1-5
      7
    • 5-10
      16
    • 10-15
      15
    • 15-20
      4
    • 20+
      4


Recommended Posts

I have him in the 5-10 range. I think he has the potential to be top 5 though.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So many weapons.  It's a good thing we don't have any divas on the team.

 

We know how the Patriots set the standard for how to play defense - concentrate on taking away the teams biggest threat.   That used to mean taking away TY and cover everyone else single.

 

Not sure that's going to work anymore!

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

So many weapons.  It's a good thing we don't have any divas on the team.

 

We know how the Patriots set the standard for how to play defense - concentrate on taking away the teams biggest threat.   That used to mean taking away TY and cover everyone else single.

 

Not sure that's going to work anymore!

Good point! Take away TY and we can still do major damage. It's a luxury we have not had in a long time. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow, I honestly wasn't expecting to get any 20+. I would love to hear the reasoning there and who you have above him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, he showed better hands than all but a very few here thought even possible.
Of course it was all dink and dunk, and he showed poor elsusivity after the catch.
 There is too little info to have any real grade for him yet, but our O should be much better suited to challenge defenses and create more space, so i hope, with his track speed, he has numerable passes next season that go beyond his career best 28yds.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

Well, he showed better hands than all but a very few here thought even possible.
Of course it was all dink and dunk, and he showed poor elsusivity after the catch.
 There is too little info to have any real grade for him yet, but our O should be much better suited to challenge defenses and create more space, so i hope, with his track speed, he has numerable passes next season that go beyond his career best 28yds.

Valid argument. I just think the volume he got and is expected to get makes up for the yac right now. The yac will improve and he could be one of the best pass catching backs in the league. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, TheMose said:

Valid argument. I just think the volume he got and is expected to get makes up for the yac right now. The yac will improve and he could be one of the best pass catching backs in the league. 

 

 The sky is the limit.
As for volume, i expect that to fall off a cliff. I would expect a healthy Campbell to replace him for most of his volume, just a better player. If so, Hines should be available in a trade at some point. 

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hines made the 2nd team all "clutch team" per CR91 article.

That's good enough for a 1-5 vote for me, and that was his 

rookie year.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well you named 7 in the poll...and there are probably at least a dozen+ more guys. Fortunately, one of those guys (Ware) is on the Colts next year.

 

Hines catch % was about average if you look at all RBs in the NFL...so he's dependable enough. But he didn't prove to be very elusive or much of a big play threat...which I think played a big factor in his below average yds/catch and yds/target. So he's not very efficient from that standpoint.

 

He has a chance to jump into the top 20 ranking of RBs in the passing game though...IF he improves his ability to make guys miss and pick up chunk plays after the catch. But I am just not sure what type of volume he is going to get now...with Campbell here...who is basically the type of playmaker the Colts need in the passing game. Not to mention Ware, who has been a superior  receiving RB and a chunk yardage machine in the passing game the past two seasons.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/5/2019 at 10:08 AM, throwing BBZ said:

 

 The sky is the limit.
As for volume, i expect that to fall off a cliff. I would expect a healthy Campbell to replace him for most of his volume, just a better player. If so, Hines should be available in a trade at some point. 

I don't see him in a trade.   We only signed Ware for 1 year and you need a pass catching back in this league now.    With Doyle and Campbell, I do think his receptions will be close to 30 this season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I ain't gon lie it does kind of irk me a little bit that Nyheim isn't very elusive.  Duke Johnson has him beat in that area.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/5/2019 at 8:13 AM, TheMose said:

I have him in the 5-10 range. I think he has the potential to be top 5 though.

 

8th in receptions and 15th in yards as a rookie, so 5-10 with top 5 potential sounds right

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He was top 10 in targets (had as many as Gurley) for a RB. That's a lot to put on a rookie. We didn't have much of choice early with Mack out, and the mediocre WR group in general. He wasn't given a lot of great routes most of the year for the purposes of YAC, so not even worried about that. Game 4 was terrific for him in terms of routes allowed to run and receptions. Much better YAC and 2 TDs. Given he was rookie, and it was a first year offense, it's pretty obvious he has skill.

 

This year, he's not part of a first year offense, and not a safety blanket for a sub par receiving group. I'm going to guess his targets will decrease a little, but 1) he'll be given more thoughtful and designed routes, and 2) he'll be more open as the Ds will be stretched. 

 

So many weapons. 

 

And I don't think Campbell will steal too many targets and/or carries from him. That is unless Cain comes back strong and dominates early on the outside. If not, I suspect Campbell to be moved around a lot, and Hines to be status quo.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This thread is an example of fans seeing a rookie and deciding that’s what a player is.    Period.

 

He’s never going to be better than that. He is what he is.   As a rookie.

 

Fans forget that players get better.  Especially in their second and third years.   Nyheim Hines will be better this year.   Unless he gets hurt he should be better.   Doesn’t mean all of his number will be better.   We have many more mouths to feed.   Funchess, Campbell,  Doyle, Cain...  

 

Lets see how the Reich/Sirianni offense 2.0 goes....    hopefully more toys means more fun!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What is gonna be interesting is how much better Hines could be with the better weapons we'll have this year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/5/2019 at 8:46 AM, TheMose said:

Good point! Take away TY and we can still do major damage. It's a luxury we have not had in a long time. 

Let's not say that please!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd like to see him start in the backfield, and then go in motion/line up on the line a bit more 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, indyagent17 said:

Let's not say that please!

Pretty sure they mean "take away" as in double cover..... not, injured or traded, or some other semi-permanent absence.   ;)

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

This thread is an example of fans seeing a rookie and deciding that’s what a player is.    Period.

 

He’s never going to be better than that. He is what he is.   As a rookie.

 

Fans forget that players get better.  Especially in their second and third years.   Nyheim Hines will be better this year.   Unless he gets hurt he should be better.   Doesn’t mean all of his number will be better.   We have many more mouths to feed.   Funchess, Campbell,  Doyle, Cain...  

 

Lets see how the Reich/Sirianni offense 2.0 goes....    hopefully more toys means more fun!

 

Come on NCF...that's not a very fair representation of what anybody has said...or this thread in general. Nobody said he can't/won't get better.

 

If anything, I would argue that you have more people overrating him by saying he is already a top 5-10 receiving back...heck 40% voted it. Just look at the group of pass-catching RBs he has to better than for that to be true. I think that take is less reasonable than saying he has areas to improve before he is one of the better pass catching RBs in the NFL. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am happy that in his sophomore year of his career there DC's in our division that feel they may have to spend some of their game planning on keeping an eye on him !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, shastamasta said:

 

Come on NCF...that's not a very fair representation of what anybody has said...or this thread in general. Nobody said he can't/won't get better.

 

If anything, I would argue that you have more people overrating him by saying he is already a top 5-10 receiving back...heck 40% voted it. Just look at the group of pass-catching RBs he has to better than for that to be true. I think that take is less reasonable than saying he has areas to improve before he is one of the better pass catching RBs in the NFL. 

 

Fair post     Sorry...   I over-reacted to other posts including one that talked about him being a candidate for trade...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/7/2019 at 12:22 PM, NewColtsFan said:

 

Fair post     Sorry...   I over-reacted to other posts including one that talked about him being a candidate for trade...

I see where you were coming from. There are people taking into consideration that he is a rookie and there are people ranking him as is. Both are fair depending on how you want to interpret the question. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Topics

  • Posts

    • Sigh...........   This is beyond really frustrating.    You're accusing me of things I literally haven't done.     That's very Irish of you.    Really annoying.      You ask for benefit of the doubt while never giving it out yourself.   I've put certain things into bold.   I'll try taking them one at a time.   Your first bold...   that this is not me saying that teams that aren't doing this are stupid.    I'm sorry, but when you declare that you've come up that you think is clearly and obvously better,  that you think you've re-invented the wheel and sliced bread,  it certainly feels like you're casting a disapporving eye toward any team that's not doing things your preferred way as a matter of course.   Then you claim,  that I want Ballard in the building ASAP,  but not before January.    Let me see if you understand this word.....   NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!   Was that clear enough for you?       If Irsay had decided in the spring of 16 to fire Grigson and hire Ballard in the spring, I would've been ok with it.   It's not desirable,  but if Irsay made that call THEN,  I'd be ok with it.     Where YOU mis-read me,  is that roughly 95 of owners make this decision during the season.    They see things they don't like and they decide during the season to make a change -- typically when the season ends.    Sometimes, an exec will be fired during the season and someone like Dorsey comes in during the season to oversee things and learn about the organization.    I'm fine with that.  There's no record of me opposing that.   I start with January,  because that's when the business season starts for front office and coaches.   Period.   The NFL views it as preferrable.    But making the switch in the spring is doable, as I've said in every post, and which you have ignored or confused badly.    But if Ballard had been hired in the spring of 16,  I'd have been fine with it.   This isn't the first time I've said some version of this.    This is not some ah-ha moment.   As to the bold declaring that there are tons of qualified guys and that CHOOSING the best guy is another story.   Here's my reponse to that.   No.   nonsense.     They are the same story.    They are connected.    Because you play down the fact that most GM's and most HC's fail.   They get fired before their 4 or 5 year contracts expire.   The owner has seen enough and makes a change.   Saying there are always qualified guys is meaningless.    Because FINDING the best guy who will succeed, isn't just important,  it's EVERYTHING.   All 32 teams can announce they hired a qualified guy.    That isn't hard.    But the vast majority of teams are introducing his successor in a few years.    That's why a franchise like Pittsburgh has very little turnover either in HC or the front office.   While franchises like the Jets or Buffalo or Miami are introducing someone new so often, you can practically set your watch to it.     Generally speaking,  the new GM has a long history of scouting and evaluating talent.   The new HC has a history of success, both as a position coach and a coordinator.   They can easily be called qualified,  (though new guys like Kliff Kingsbury and Zack Taylor do NOT have a long track record of success)  But the vast majority of hires...   are soon enough fired.   That doesn't speak well to their qualifications.      As to you meaning what you're saying...   Of course you mean what you say and I stated that clearly.  I don't know why this should rub you the wrong way.  I literally wrote that I know you mean what you say.    I said what I said as a rhetorical point,  not an attacking point.    My ultimate point was made at the end of my first post to you.   You typically write persuasive arguments.    You're able to frequently made me see your viewpoint.    But not here.    You accuse me of not considering your argument.    I'm sorry,  I am considering what you write.   But I don't see the typical high quality Superman argument.   I don't see points that connect.    Your argument feels like the one you'd make for doable.   It doesn't convince me at all that it's preferable.  
    • Yeah, Ballard said he's a patient guy, and he doesn't mind waiting to pick. We almost traded back from 34 as well if Rock wasn't there. I personally love the "trade back" strategy at the end of round 1, and wouldn't mind doing it in most every draft. A late 1st for a mid-second and early/mid second (from the Redskins) over two drafts is fine with me!
    • Haven't done research on the 2020 draft yet, but if it ends up having an elite WR or OT, I wouldn't mind trading up this year. We'll have to see where we finish (hopefully 32 ), and make a decision from there. Ballard landing the Redskins 2nd rounder may be a brilliant move.
    • I had us 9-7 just based on guessing/hoping/predicting Luck would be healthy and play great. I was right but a lucky guess, I guess  . I thought that would get us a 6th seed. We won 10 games which got us in.
    • For the first time in a while, I am impressed with the Colts development of players. If this current trend continues, a lot of opinions will change. 
  • Members

    • Nate!

      Nate! 44

      New Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • dew5150

      dew5150 110

      New Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • 12213

      12213 0

      Rookie
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • lollygagger8

      lollygagger8 9,484

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Nadine

      Nadine 7,322

      Administrators
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • jvan1973

      jvan1973 16,053

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • coltsfeva

      coltsfeva 1,110

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • IndyEric07

      IndyEric07 8

      New Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • coltsfanej

      coltsfanej 159

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Kirie89

      Kirie89 22

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
×
×
  • Create New...