Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Where does Nyheim Hines rank among receiving backs right now?

TheMose

Where does Nyheim Hines rank among receiving backs right now?  

46 members have voted

1. 1. Where do you have Nyheim Hines ranked currently among the rest of the receiving backs in the NFL. This includes players like Tarik Cohen, Duke Johnson, James White and Chris Thompson whose role is solely receiving and also the workhorse backs who also catch like Christian McCaffrey, Alvin Kamara, and Saquon Barkley. But only rank their receiving abilities.

• 1-5
    • 5-10
    • 10-15
    • 15-20
    • 20+

So many weapons.  It's a good thing we don't have any divas on the team.

We know how the Patriots set the standard for how to play defense - concentrate on taking away the teams biggest threat.   That used to mean taking away TY and cover everyone else single.

Not sure that's going to work anymore!

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

So many weapons.  It's a good thing we don't have any divas on the team.

We know how the Patriots set the standard for how to play defense - concentrate on taking away the teams biggest threat.   That used to mean taking away TY and cover everyone else single.

Not sure that's going to work anymore!

Good point! Take away TY and we can still do major damage. It's a luxury we have not had in a long time. 

Well, he showed better hands than all but a very few here thought even possible.
Of course it was all dink and dunk, and he showed poor elsusivity after the catch.
 There is too little info to have any real grade for him yet, but our O should be much better suited to challenge defenses and create more space, so i hope, with his track speed, he has numerable passes next season that go beyond his career best 28yds.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

Well, he showed better hands than all but a very few here thought even possible.
Of course it was all dink and dunk, and he showed poor elsusivity after the catch.
 There is too little info to have any real grade for him yet, but our O should be much better suited to challenge defenses and create more space, so i hope, with his track speed, he has numerable passes next season that go beyond his career best 28yds.

Valid argument. I just think the volume he got and is expected to get makes up for the yac right now. The yac will improve and he could be one of the best pass catching backs in the league. 

5 minutes ago, TheMose said:

Valid argument. I just think the volume he got and is expected to get makes up for the yac right now. The yac will improve and he could be one of the best pass catching backs in the league. 

The sky is the limit.
As for volume, i expect that to fall off a cliff. I would expect a healthy Campbell to replace him for most of his volume, just a better player. If so, Hines should be available in a trade at some point. 

Well you named 7 in the poll...and there are probably at least a dozen+ more guys. Fortunately, one of those guys (Ware) is on the Colts next year.

Hines catch % was about average if you look at all RBs in the NFL...so he's dependable enough. But he didn't prove to be very elusive or much of a big play threat...which I think played a big factor in his below average yds/catch and yds/target. So he's not very efficient from that standpoint.

He has a chance to jump into the top 20 ranking of RBs in the passing game though...IF he improves his ability to make guys miss and pick up chunk plays after the catch. But I am just not sure what type of volume he is going to get now...with Campbell here...who is basically the type of playmaker the Colts need in the passing game. Not to mention Ware, who has been a superior  receiving RB and a chunk yardage machine in the passing game the past two seasons.

On 6/5/2019 at 10:08 AM, throwing BBZ said:

The sky is the limit.
As for volume, i expect that to fall off a cliff. I would expect a healthy Campbell to replace him for most of his volume, just a better player. If so, Hines should be available in a trade at some point. 

I don't see him in a trade.   We only signed Ware for 1 year and you need a pass catching back in this league now.    With Doyle and Campbell, I do think his receptions will be close to 30 this season.

He was top 10 in targets (had as many as Gurley) for a RB. That's a lot to put on a rookie. We didn't have much of choice early with Mack out, and the mediocre WR group in general. He wasn't given a lot of great routes most of the year for the purposes of YAC, so not even worried about that. Game 4 was terrific for him in terms of routes allowed to run and receptions. Much better YAC and 2 TDs. Given he was rookie, and it was a first year offense, it's pretty obvious he has skill.

This year, he's not part of a first year offense, and not a safety blanket for a sub par receiving group. I'm going to guess his targets will decrease a little, but 1) he'll be given more thoughtful and designed routes, and 2) he'll be more open as the Ds will be stretched. 

So many weapons. 

And I don't think Campbell will steal too many targets and/or carries from him. That is unless Cain comes back strong and dominates early on the outside. If not, I suspect Campbell to be moved around a lot, and Hines to be status quo.

• Like 2

This thread is an example of fans seeing a rookie and deciding that’s what a player is.    Period.

He’s never going to be better than that. He is what he is.   As a rookie.

Fans forget that players get better.  Especially in their second and third years.   Nyheim Hines will be better this year.   Unless he gets hurt he should be better.   Doesn’t mean all of his number will be better.   We have many more mouths to feed.   Funchess, Campbell,  Doyle, Cain...  

Lets see how the Reich/Sirianni offense 2.0 goes....    hopefully more toys means more fun!

• Like 2

10 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

This thread is an example of fans seeing a rookie and deciding that’s what a player is.    Period.

He’s never going to be better than that. He is what he is.   As a rookie.

Fans forget that players get better.  Especially in their second and third years.   Nyheim Hines will be better this year.   Unless he gets hurt he should be better.   Doesn’t mean all of his number will be better.   We have many more mouths to feed.   Funchess, Campbell,  Doyle, Cain...  

Lets see how the Reich/Sirianni offense 2.0 goes....    hopefully more toys means more fun!

Come on NCF...that's not a very fair representation of what anybody has said...or this thread in general. Nobody said he can't/won't get better.

If anything, I would argue that you have more people overrating him by saying he is already a top 5-10 receiving back...heck 40% voted it. Just look at the group of pass-catching RBs he has to better than for that to be true. I think that take is less reasonable than saying he has areas to improve before he is one of the better pass catching RBs in the NFL. 

1 hour ago, shastamasta said:

Come on NCF...that's not a very fair representation of what anybody has said...or this thread in general. Nobody said he can't/won't get better.

If anything, I would argue that you have more people overrating him by saying he is already a top 5-10 receiving back...heck 40% voted it. Just look at the group of pass-catching RBs he has to better than for that to be true. I think that take is less reasonable than saying he has areas to improve before he is one of the better pass catching RBs in the NFL. 

Fair post     Sorry...   I over-reacted to other posts including one that talked about him being a candidate for trade...

On 6/7/2019 at 12:22 PM, NewColtsFan said:

Fair post     Sorry...   I over-reacted to other posts including one that talked about him being a candidate for trade...

I see where you were coming from. There are people taking into consideration that he is a rookie and there are people ranking him as is. Both are fair depending on how you want to interpret the question.