Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts sign four tryout players

CR91

16 minutes ago, Buck Showalter said:

Shippy is an intriging prospect...

Really small though. Hes 6 foot 295. That's like eric foster size

Just now, PrincetonTiger said:

Maybe Kelly, Chryst, and Keith bombed

Well the reports mentioned a lot of underthrown balls to campbell. 

5 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Makes me wonder if CB and FR are going to look at the FA pool and/or “waiver” wire for the 4th QB

A lot of people said Shippy was too short to play DT for the Colts, but after my interview with him, and watching his tape, he has a lot going for him.  Humble, really great release of the ball, constant 100% hustle, And the fact he knows he has other shortcomings that he hopes pro coaching will help him with.

I've congratulated him, and hope he becomes the next John Randle. (I don't expect it, but it never hurts to hope)

• Like 1

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/05/05/colts-add-four-after-rookie-minicamp-but-not-chad-kelly/

Colts add four after rookie minicamp, but not Chad Kelly

Posted by Darin Gantt on May 5, 2019, 1:48 PM EDT

The Colts took advantage of their free look at some rookies this weekend, and found a few they liked.

The team announced the addition of four undrafted rookies who stood out in their minicamp.

The signings were: Kicker Cole Hedlund, defensive tackle Sterling Shippy, cornerback Shakial Taylor, and linebacker Tre Thomas.

To make room for them on the roster, they waived kicker Clayton Hatfield, cornerback Chris Rayford, and defensive end Anthony Winbush.

Of course, that announcement suggests they did not feel like keeping quarterback Chad Kelly, at least not yet. The former Broncos seventh-rounder was also in camp on a tryout basis this weekend.

4 hours ago, CR91 said:

Shippy gets pushed around a lot from the videos I’ve seen of him.  He also seemed a little slow.  But we will see what the coaching staff thinks.   They must see something they like.  I’m not that impressed.  

14 minutes ago, Coltsman1788 said:

Shippy gets pushed around a lot from the videos I’ve seen of him.  He also seemed a little slow.  But we will see what the coaching staff thinks.   They must see something they like.  I’m not that impressed.  

I haven’t found much information or video, but Shippy ran a 4.82 40 which is  terrific for DT. 

22 minutes ago, bertjones7 said:

I haven’t found much information or video, but Shippy ran a 4.82 40 which is  terrific for DT. 

I always take pro day results with a huge grain of salt.

4.82 if accurate though would have put him top 5 of iDL at the combine.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

It is bad when I had to look him up and the most interesting thing I found was his injury that ended his Colt career

Foster had his moments when it came to pass rush, but completely useless in run defense. Him and Dawson were pushed liked rag dolls. Sproles and that god for saken punter 

I am kind of interested in Shakial Taylor.

He's got decent size (6'0" 181 lbs.) for a corner.  

Hard to find much written up about him and I cannot find a lot of film on him, but from what I can see, he's got some raw talent.

I find it kind of odd that he started out at S. Dakota State, then moved as a sophomore to Mesa CC and then Junior/Senior year he was at Kansas.   Kansas isn't really a good football school, but he started 9 games before getting hurt as a junior and all his games as a senior.

If Kansas is known for anything football wise, it's probably they produce good DBs every so often (Aquib Talib and Darrell Stuckey both made it to pro-bowls after their careers as Jayhawks).

11 hours ago, CurBeatElite said:

I am kind of interested in Shakial Taylor.

He's got decent size (6'0" 181 lbs.) for a corner.  

Hard to find much written up about him and I cannot find a lot of film on him, but from what I can see, he's got some raw talent.

I find it kind of odd that he started out at S. Dakota State, then moved as a sophomore to Mesa CC and then Junior/Senior year he was at Kansas.   Kansas isn't really a good football school, but he started 9 games before getting hurt as a junior and all his games as a senior.

If Kansas is known for anything football wise, it's probably they produce good DBs every so often (Aquib Talib and Darrell Stuckey both made it to pro-bowls after their careers as Jayhawks).

Chris Harris too....who Shak reminds me of in both stature and measurables.

On 5/5/2019 at 3:13 PM, CR91 said:

lol... let's look at the size of the DT on this team, shall we?

Grover Stewart 64 333

Margus Hunt 68 298

Sterlin Shipley 511 295

Johnny Robinson 6 292

Jihad Ward 65 290

Jordan Thompson 62 284

Eric Foster 62 265

Would you like to withdraw your comment?

44 minutes ago, ColtsLegacy said:

lol... let's look at the size of the DT on this team, shall we?

Grover Stewart 64 333

Margus Hunt 68 298

Sterlin Shipley 511 295

Johnny Robinson 6 292

Jihad Ward 65 290

Jordan Thompson 62 284

Eric Foster 62 265

Would you like to withdraw your comment?

Ok in terms of actual measurements, I was off, but compared to the rest of team, hes small

13 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Ok in terms of actual measurements, I was off, but compared to the rest of team, hes small

Err, no.

Grover Stewart 64 333

Margus Hunt 68 298

Sterlin Shipley 511 295

Johnny Robinson 6 292

Jihad Ward 65 290

Jordan Thompson 62 284

How is he small compared to the rest? haha Grover is an outlier and Hunt is 3 pounds heavier on an 9 inch taller frame; therefore, he's actually one of our biggest interior lineman. Sorry, Charlie.

Heck, I didn't even add Autry and Lewis who, in fact, compare much more favorably to Eric Foster (build wise).

13 minutes ago, ColtsLegacy said:

Err, no.

Grover Stewart 64 333

Margus Hunt 68 298

Sterlin Shipley 511 295

Johnny Robinson 6 292

Jihad Ward 65 290

Jordan Thompson 62 284

How is he small compared to the rest? haha Grover is an outlier and Hunt is 3 pounds heavier on an 9 inch taller frame; therefore, he's actually one of our biggest interior lineman. Sorry, Charlie.

Heck, I didn't even add Autry and Lewis who, in fact, compare much more favorably to Eric Foster (build wise).

Hes not even 6 foot. Most of our DTs are 6 5 

10 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Hes not even 6 foot. Most of our DTs are 6 5 

Oh boy. Feels like you're changing your narrative now.  The player you compared him to is 6'2 265, so clearly you were referencing weight. No one every complained about Foster's height; yet, basically, everyone complained about his weight.

More weight on a shorter frame means you have a thicker frame (in general). He is not a small guy.

1 minute ago, ColtsLegacy said:

Oh boy. Feels like you're changing your narrative now.  The player you compared him to is 6'2 265, so clearly you were referencing weight and no one every complained about Foster's height, everyone complained about his weight.

More weight on a shorter frame means you have a thicker frame (in general). He is not a small guy.

That is why I compared him to Rob Renes

6 minutes ago, ColtsLegacy said:

Oh boy. Feels like you're changing your narrative now.  The player you compared him to is 6'2 265, so clearly you were referencing weight. No one every complained about Foster's height; yet, basically, everyone complained about his weight.

I didnt pick a measurement. I just said hes small. Am I wrong

8 minutes ago, CR91 said:

I didnt pick a measurement. I just said hes small. Am I wrong

Again, you said he was small like Eric Foster, which pretty clearly implies lack of LBs.

Alas, it is hard just to admit "I was wrong." Let us move on.

12 minutes ago, ColtsLegacy said:

Again, you said he was small like Eric Foster, which pretty clearly implies lack of LBs.

Alas, it is hard just to admit "I was wrong." Let us move on.

I did say I didnt check Fosters measurements. I was just saying their small. 

On 5/5/2019 at 3:30 PM, Lawrence Owen said:

A lot of people said Shippy was too short to play DT for the Colts, but after my interview with him, and watching his tape, he has a lot going for him.  Humble, really great release of the ball, constant 100% hustle, And the fact he knows he has other shortcomings that he hopes pro coaching will help him with.

I've congratulated him, and hope he becomes the next John Randle. (I don't expect it, but it never hurts to hope)

Having the will to prepare to win is often a major key to success. If he keeps that mindset he'll be an excellent player. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

The other worrisome thing is that many of today’s G/C are 6’2” +

That part doesn't worry me as much, As Shippy said to me, "My height can be used as an advantage, getting lower than the blockers when I come off the snap.  Helps with getting by then."