Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Johnny Robinson - DT - Charleston Southern - UDFA

Scott Pennock

36 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

Apparently both he and the kicker slipped thru the cracks. But, here is the FCS Combine results for DT's. He finished better than both Sterling Shippy and Khalen Saunders in most every event.

https://m.herosports.com/nfl/draft-2019-fcs-pro-days-defensive-tackles-top-marks-ajaj

Found this nugget on him too.

Small-School Prospect - Johnny Robinson/DT/Charleston Southern: Robinson is a fireplug type of lineman who plays with great quickness, leverage and explosion. Measuring six feet tall and 295 pounds, he has the style and substance of former USC defensive tackle Sedrick Ellis. He beats opponents with great first-step quickness as well as lower body power and athleticism. In nine games this season, Robinson has totaled 33 tackles and 6.5 tackles for loss. He could slide into the closing picks of the seventh round next April, and I expect Robinson to compete for a spot as a three-technique tackle at the next level.

6ft?  295? Sound like a bowling ball to me lol

Johnny Robinson, DT

6-0, 292-pound defensive tackle from Charleston Southern. Robinson appeared in 42 games at Charleston Southern and finished with 123 tackles (52 solo), 23.5 tackles for loss, 9.5 sacks, two passes defensed and two forced fumbles. He was a two-time First Team All-Big South Conference choice (2017 and 2018)

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nfl/colts/2019/05/03/indianapolis-colts-2019-sign-nine-undrafted-free-agents/3661977002/

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Tombstone said:

Big lower body.....

Oh my, he sure pushes the pocket with a low center of gravity consistently!!!

We will see how it translates to the next level of competition. You saw such things with Ty McGill but not consistently; this guy seems to be in a lot of plays and hustles pretty good for a big guy.

• Like 1

On 5/3/2019 at 12:25 PM, Scott Pennock said:

Apparently both he and the kicker slipped thru the cracks. But, here is the FCS Combine results for DT's. He finished better than both Sterling Shippy and Khalen Saunders in most every event.

https://m.herosports.com/nfl/draft-2019-fcs-pro-days-defensive-tackles-top-marks-ajaj

Small-School Prospect - Johnny Robinson/DT/Charleston Southern: Robinson is a fireplug type of lineman who plays with great quickness, leverage and explosion. Measuring six feet tall and 295 pounds, he has the style and substance of former USC defensive tackle Sedrick Ellis. He beats opponents with great first-step quickness as well as lower body power and athleticism. In nine games this season, Robinson has totaled 33 tackles and 6.5 tackles for loss. He could slide into the closing picks of the seventh round next April, and I expect Robinson to compete for a spot as a three-technique tackle at the next level.

Kicker ?

8 hours ago, Tombstone said:

Big lower body.....

He looks dominant and that's what you want to see from a player at that level of competition. His get off, quickness, and pocket pushing ability are evident. Also, his hand fighting is better than most at his level/age.

All this from a short highlight film. I'll have to try and find actual game film to better evaluate.

Good luck, big fella. Looking forward to camp.

On 5/3/2019 at 12:25 PM, Scott Pennock said:

Thanks Scott!  I have been concerned that we need a run stopper added to the current likely roster for rotational purposes.  It makes me think about the DT from Stanford we had for a short time drafted with Anderson.  He may or may not have been as quick, but he was shockingly small (I stood next to him at a game once) but he was a fire hydrant.  I hope we find someone good enough to stick on the final 53 to give us rotational depth we need to help stop the power run teams we face in division and on our schedule this year.  

• Like 1