Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Random thoughts on D (comparison to Texans)

So, was thumbing through the Team Rushing Defense stats, and started thinking (dangerous, I know lol). The Texans last year were 3rd against the run, the Colts were 8th. It made me think about how we compare up front, now I realize you have two entirely different schemes in the 3-4 they run, and the 4-3 we run, but this is more a comparison of talent. 

The Texans are loaded up front, in my opinion it may be the best front 7 in the NFL. I'll be listing impact players, really guys drafted in the first couple of rounds, and it breaks down as follows:

TEXANS

DE: JJ Watt- 1st Rd (11th)

MLB: Bernardrick McKinney- 2nd (43)

LB/DE: Jadeveon Clowney- 1st (1st)

LB: Zach Cunningham- 2nd (57th)

LB: Whitney Mercilus- 1st (26th)

(Draft addition: Charles Omenihu DE)

Now, that's a ton of talent and athleticism, acquired via a ton of draft capital. I don't think anyone would argue that's one of the best, if not THE best, front in football. 

COLTS

DE: Margus Hunt- 2nd (53rd)

DE: Jabaal Sheard- 2nd (37th)

DE: Tyquan Lewis- 2nd (64th)

DE: Kemeko Turay- 2nd (52nd)

LB: Darius Leonard- 2nd (36th)

DE: Justin Houston: 3rd (70th)

DE/LB: Ben Banogu- 2nd (46th)

LB: Bobby Okereke- 3rd (89th)

After the additions via the draft and FA, the Colts gained some much needed athleticism up front (and hopefully the ability to cover TEs and RBs lol). 

So, if you take the two and look closely, you'll see the Colts have taken strides to become more athletic on defense these last 2 years. I think they've done a great job. Are they to the level of the Texans yet? I can't go that far. JJ Watt and Clowney are probably the best 1-2 punch in the league, and that doesn't even take into account Whitney Mercilus and McKinney, who are beasts in their own right. Darius Leonard can hold his own with any LB on earth, but we don't really have his partner in crime YET, or do we? I think Turay and Lewis could both make major strides this year, and I think Ballard and Reich know that as well, which is why they didn't go the route many on here believed they would (myself included) in the draft, and take a DL. Adding Justin Houston, who if he can stay healthy, is a double digit sack season looking for a place to happen, with the explosion and athleticism of Banogu and Okereke, takes the Colts that much closer to being one of the better, more athletic fronts in the NFL. 

There are those that say we need to be bigger to stuff the run. I don't buy that, not in today's NFL. This is spread em out football, with young offensive play callers, and mobile QBs. I like Houston's approach in the defensive front 7, and it's more athlete than it is ogre. I believe that Ballard and Reich are taking a page out of the divisional rivals playbook, and I also think it's gonna work...brilliantly. 

• Like 3

I was one of the people critical of the 'smaller, quicker' DT philosophy.  Remember back about 10 years ago when our DTs were all under 300lbs and we were getting gashed. 

But you can't argue with success.  As you said, we were 8th overall in run D.  I think we were in the top 5 in some of the run D categories.

• Like 2

You just need guys that can penetrate. Guys like Margus, Denico, and Sheard did a really good job of blowing up runs in the back field. Part of that's a credit to the player but also, considering Margus/Denico's big jump in TFL's, I definitely give credit Eberflus' scheme.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, SouthernIndianaNDFan said:

So, was thumbing through the Team Rushing Defense stats, and started thinking (dangerous, I know lol). The Texans last year were 3rd against the run, the Colts were 8th. It made me think about how we compare up front, now I realize you have two entirely different schemes in the 3-4 they run, and the 4-3 we run, but this is more a comparison of talent. 

The Texans are loaded up front, in my opinion it may be the best front 7 in the NFL. I'll be listing impact players, really guys drafted in the first couple of rounds, and it breaks down as follows:

TEXANS

Now, that's a ton of talent and athleticism, acquired via a ton of draft capital. I don't think anyone would argue that's one of the best, if not THE best, front in football. 

COLTS

After the additions via the draft and FA, the Colts gained some much needed athleticism up front (and hopefully the ability to cover TEs and RBs lol). 

So, if you take the two and look closely, you'll see the Colts have taken strides to become more athletic on defense these last 2 years. I think they've done a great job. Are they to the level of the Texans yet? I can't go that far. JJ Watt and Clowney are probably the best 1-2 punch in the league, and that doesn't even take into account Whitney Mercilus and McKinney, who are beasts in their own right. Darius Leonard can hold his own with any LB on earth, but we don't really have his partner in crime YET, or do we? I think Turay and Lewis could both make major strides this year, and I think Ballard and Reich know that as well, which is why they didn't go the route many on here believed they would (myself included) in the draft, and take a DL. Adding Justin Houston, who if he can stay healthy, is a double digit sack season looking for a place to happen, with the explosion and athleticism of Banogu and Okereke, takes the Colts that much closer to being one of the better, more athletic fronts in the NFL. 

There are those that say we need to be bigger to stuff the run. I don't buy that, not in today's NFL. This is spread em out football, with young offensive play callers, and mobile QBs. I like Houston's approach in the defensive front 7, and it's more athlete than it is ogre. I believe that Ballard and Reich are taking a page out of the divisional rivals playbook, and I also think it's gonna work...brilliantly. 

Since you appear to be using players that were drafted high by others teams before joining the Colts (Hunt, Sheard, Houston) you can add one more ....   Ward was drafted in the 50’s as well.  

That’s one more for the Colts!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Scott Pennock said:

Here is a 290 pound UT that moves pretty darn well for such a big man. If his health holds up he should make a big impact this year.

This is at Robert Mathis's training facility....

I hope there is a BIG sign on the front door:

"NO PAST, PRESENT,  OR FUTURE MEMBER OF THE NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS ORGANIZATION ALLOWED IN THIS BUILDING". Violators WILL be VIOLATED   !!!

8 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Since you appear to be using players that were drafted high by others teams before joining the Colts (Hunt, Sheard, Houston) you can add one more ....   Ward was drafted in the 50’s as well.  

Everyone forgets Ward.   And he is starter material IMO.   

• Like 1

11 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Yeah, just really trying to compare what would be on the 2019 Rosters, regardless of where it initially came from. Must've overlooked Ward. It seems like the Colts have more players, which could be a good thing, but the Texans have better guys at the top. So, is it quantity or quality? 

14 hours ago, Scott Pennock said:

Here is a 290 pound UT that moves pretty darn well for such a big man. If his health holds up he should make a big impact this year.

This is at Robert Mathis's training facility....

I don't recall anyone at the combine pounding the bags this well.
 Thanks for sharing this. Looks like Jihad is manning up. 
Wow!! 

On 5/2/2019 at 10:14 AM, SouthernIndianaNDFan said:

TEXANS

COLTS

Sorry but you are way off on Mercilus. He is on the downside because of injuries.
Graded at #64 best edge last season.
 Cunnigham improved last season to #34 LB.  Decent.

1 hour ago, throwing BBZ said:

Sorry but you are way off on Mercilus. He is on the downside because of injuries.
Graded at #64 best edge last season.
 Cunnigham improved last season to #34 LB.  Decent.

I think you missed the point of the 6000 word post. I mentioned Mercilus one time, in passing. The article is more about how the Texans were the 3rd best team against the run last year, and how I believe Ballard is building a similar front. Or at least that's what I meant the narrative to be, sorry for any confusion. 

On 5/2/2019 at 11:33 AM, Smonroe said:

I was one of the people critical of the 'smaller, quicker' DT philosophy.  Remember back about 10 years ago when our DTs were all under 300lbs and we were getting gashed. 

But you can't argue with success.  As you said, we were 8th overall in run D.  I think we were in the top 5 in some of the run D categories.

I agree and had the same concerns.  I think the reason it's working better now is the change in offensive philosophy for a lot of teams.  What I mean by that is I think there are far more teams running more zone blocking than power man blocking.  I think we'll still get gashed, or at least will be susceptible to it, from power man blocking teams but zone blocking plays right into the hands of the tampa 2 imo.

• Like 1

On 5/3/2019 at 10:41 AM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I think we exposed the Texans last season and I fear the Jags defense more than I do the Texans D at this point. The Texans can't contain Hilton at all and now that we have a solid O.line, Luck has time to throw which makes Watt and Clowney less of a factor.

The additions to our OL definitely help neutralize Watt and Clowney, but if those guys are both healthy, they are scary no matter what.

I am excited that it seems like we may finally have a few good WRs to compliment TY for the first time since Reggie blew his knee out.  It should make our offense much less 1-dimensional (it was obvious in the playoffs after TY's first quarter or half when his ankle started locking up that Luck didn't really have the weapons he needed to exploit the Texans D in the second half or the Chiefs D in the 2nd game).

The Jags have a very good D, but their secondary is what concerns me a little more so than the Texans D.  

On 5/2/2019 at 11:33 AM, Smonroe said:

I too was a critic of those lighter fronts back in the Polian days. Last year the Colts had Al Woods most of the year and Grover Stewart all year. Both are 330lb NT's. This year Grover is the only D-Lineman on the current roster over 300lbs (333). I'm already eyeing that and wondering if the D-line will shift toward having only Under-Tackle gap players again. It still makes me uneasy to this day.

Conversely,  not even one of the 15 current O-Linemen is under 300lbs.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Douzer said:

I too was a critic of those lighter fronts back in the Polian days. Last year the Colts had Al Woods most of the year and Grover Stewart all year. Both are 330lb NT's. This year Grover is the only D-Lineman on the current roster over 300lbs (333). I'm already eyeing that and wondering if the D-line will shift toward having only Under-Tackle gap players again. It still makes me uneasy to this day.

Conversely,  not even one of the 15 current O-Linemen is under 300lbs.

I’m wondering is Suh is really in play for us.  He fits the “if we really need a player that can make a difference” Ballard profile for a high priced FA.  

Plus, I think we can sign a guy now (or soon) without it counting towards the compensatory picks.  Not that it really matters to us.  If Ballard thinks we’re a player away, like I do, he may pull the trigger on it.  

38 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

I’m wondering is Suh is really in play for us.  He fits the “if we really need a player that can make a difference” Ballard profile for a high priced FA.  

Plus, I think we can sign a guy now (or soon) without it counting towards the compensatory picks.  Not that it really matters to us.  If Ballard thinks we’re a player away, like I do, he may pull the trigger on it.  

I'm not 100% sure, but I think Ballard has only drafted 2 interior D-linemen so far in his tenure; Grover Stewart and Tyquan Lewis. So, he's mostly addressed the interior D-Line with FA acquisitions. Their vision for the defense is much more in focus now after this years player selections, but the clarity is more at DB, LB and Edge. Their intentions for the interior D-Line is still fuzzy (at least to me).  I'd say Ballard & Co. pulling the trigger on a FA DT certainly seems plausible from my LaZboy!

• Like 1