Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Roster fun facts and potential breakout candidates

Scott Pennock

2 hours ago, Fluke_33 said:

I keep forgetting about Marcus Johnson in the WR mix.  I hope he comes back and contributes.

He looked good in the 1.5 games he was in until getting hurt on that dirty out of bounds tackle....

The lone exception being the very first pass he had thrown his way, he dropped a sure first down.....lol

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chloe6124 said:

What kind of injury did Johnson have? What game was it? I don’t even remember. I would like to see if I can find some highlights.

I believe it was ankle, tearing a ligament. It was against the Jets on a return after the play. Guy tackled him out of bounds. Dude ended up apologizing I believe. (No Flag of course since it was a colt)

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, PuntersArePeopleToo said:

I believe it was ankle, tearing a ligament. It was against the Jets on a return after the play. Guy tackled him out of bounds. Dude ended up apologizing I believe. (No Flag of course since it was a colt)

Went back and watched that game. Johnson scored a TD. He did look pretty good.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Scott Pennock said:

. The average age of the current roster: 25.2

Average experience of current roster: 3.2

Without AV's 46 years and 23 years....

For an 10-6 and 1-1 team with Rookie HC and coordinators and a 2nd year GM that is pretty spectacular.

Carroll Phillips and Jihad Ward both played at Illinois and were coached by Phair

Carroll Phillips and Ahmad Thomas won state football championships together in Miami in High School

Antonio Garcia, after being a 3rd Round Pick (with lots of accolades) of the Patriots, was released after being diagnosed with blood cl.ots in his lungs and dropping 40 pounds. Fully healthy now he COULD be the hier apparent to Castonzo.

Al-Quadin Muhammad was a 4 star recruit at Miami and was suspended with then teammate Jermaine Grace (former Colt) and missed 2 years of college ball due to another suspension where he was falsley accused of an domestic altercation with a roomate - he was still drafted in the 6th round by the Saints on pure talent - redshirted even though he tore up the preseason twice - and Ballard scooped him up at cut down day. Theoretically he would now have his 4 years of college experience and I believe he will breakout candidate this year! 

Deon Cain and Marcus Johnson both started their college careers as quarterbacks until transitioning to wide receivers. We will reap those benefits.

Jihad Ward is my other breakout candidate on the defensive line. He was always better suited for the UT position, and Eberflus surely saw that when he coached him at the Senior Bowl and with Dallas briefly, as does Phair his old college line coach. Now that he is in a position to use his natural abilities with us, I see 5-10 sack potential in him and he will be my second breakout candidate of the year.

We have 6 tightends on the current roster, only one of which was drafted. Additionally, 2 were college bball players (Travis & Alie-Cox) and one was a wide receiver (Billy Brown). Very interesting and diverse backgrounds for the deepest TE room in the league. 

Lastly, while I will not have Cain or Fountain as breakout candidates (yet), but, I will say that they will contribute this year in the offense. Likely at the expense of Pascal and/or Rogers.

Interesting info/thoughts.  I disagree with Fountain overtaking Pascal.  I think Pascal could be the WR to break through big for us.  I am also not as in love with our TE room as you are.  A lot rides on whether Doyle can return full force.  If not (if they already know he's not going to be the same) I would like to see them draft a stud TE who actually knows how to play already.  I am tired of converting guys who don't even know football.  Why take the hard road? Plus the TE group was very injury prone last year and it deeply hurt our offense.  

My breakout candidate is Kemoko Turay. 

From what Ballard said after the season, they loved what he was doing but he was struggling with the workload, which limited his snaps.  Hopefully a full off-season working with trainers can remedy that.

PFF saw it as a good rookie year for him, specifically in terms of how quick he was getting to the QB when he did.  Just had a quick Google and found the below quote from PFF article:

Of his 33 total pressures this season, 20 have come within 3.0 seconds of the snap, which amounts to a 60.6 quick pressure rate that ranks tied for fourth among the 42 NFL edge defenders with 25-plus pressures through Week 12. For perspective, only Michael Bennett (69.8), Jadeveon Clowney (63.6) and Dee Ford (61.0) rank ahead of Turay in quick pressure rate.

Hopefully Tyquan Lewis also gets a full head of steam and we are able to kick him inside rather than having to use him on the outside as much as last year, and then both these guys are wreaking havoc. :woah:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

13 hours ago, Douzer said:

Two immediate thoughts...

1.) Hines is playing WR on that play

2.) Brissett sent that pass over 50 yards in the air

Those qualify as fun facts too, right?

Yes, I absolutely forgot about the one year they played together and this particular highlight.

Excited about Turay on defense. Our RB group on offense. Someone mentioned the TE group and Ballard said he thinks are WR room is better than most fans think. So if presented with a option either Fant or DK Metcalf he chooses Fant. Think both Ebron and Doyle contracts our up after this year. If Ebron tears it up again I think he'll demand the highest paid contract for TE's. 

On 3/15/2019 at 2:51 AM, JPFolks said:

I would like to see them draft a stud TE who actually knows how to play already.  I am tired of converting guys who don't even know football.  Why take the hard road? Plus the TE group was very injury prone last year and it deeply hurt our offense.  

I've seen more than a handful of mocks that have TJ Hockensen dropping & the Colts grabbing him at 26. I know that'd be a headscratcher for a lot of fans, but that guy is a carbon copy of Gronk, & he'd immediately be the best TE on the Colts roster.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

I've seen more than a handful of mocks that have TJ Hockensen dropping & the Colts grabbing him at 26. I know that'd be a headscratcher for a lot of fans, but that guy is a carbon copy of Gronk, & he'd immediately be the best TE on the Colts roster.

If they draft this guy, the WR isn't such a need until later rounds.  A play-making TE in the mold of Gronk, along with Ebron and Doyle would take a lot of pressure off our WR corps and we could develop the young receivers.

3 minutes ago, Barry Sears said:

If they draft this guy, the WR isn't such a need until later rounds.  A play-making TE in the mold of Gronk, along with Ebron and Doyle would take a lot of pressure off our WR corps and we could develop the young receivers.

If the Colts were to draft Hockensen I wonder if Doyle's roster spot is jeopardized? He's had his struggles with injuries, is 29, & they'd save $5mil in 2019 by cutting him.

54 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

I like your thinking!  I imagine it might be hard to pass up some of the excellent Defensive talent at that position, but man, a ready made TE monster would give us a three headed TE machine on offense that would be unmatched in the league.  I recall that the offense originally under the Pagano/Grigson regime was going to feature 2 TE sets and use the TE's all over the field.  It never seemed to pan out in reality, perhaps because we needed a MUCH better RB group than we ever had.  I think that is where the wheels started coming off leading to the disastrous Trent Richardson deal and frankly they never recovered.  Grigson seemed determined to prove his decision right (god, I hated those days, Ballard doesn't flinch to move on past a mistake) just making it worse and worse as we saw TR continue his 2.9 YPC tear.  I've heard there is depth at TE, so I wouldn't be surprised (or disappointed) if they found a lower profile guy who was a beast in round 3 instead and used the first 3 pics on Defense, but wherever it is, I sure would like a boost to the TE's.  Then the WR deficiency would be far less of a concern* (I've been saying this for a while, but noted that someone else just above also made this point, we simply agree independently).  Funchess may as well be a third TE on the field and I think they could do some wicked stuff.  

Perhaps you have a take on Funchess as a blocker? I haven't heard much about that in all the discussions? 

27 minutes ago, JPFolks said:

I like your thinking!  I imagine it might be hard to pass up some of the excellent Defensive talent at that position, but man, a ready made TE monster would give us a three headed TE machine on offense that would be unmatched in the league.  I recall that the offense originally under the Pagano/Grigson regime was going to feature 2 TE sets and use the TE's all over the field.  It never seemed to pan out in reality, perhaps because we needed a MUCH better RB group than we ever had.  I think that is where the wheels started coming off leading to the disastrous Trent Richardson deal and frankly they never recovered.  Grigson seemed determined to prove his decision right (god, I hated those days, Ballard doesn't flinch to move on past a mistake) just making it worse and worse as we saw TR continue his 2.9 YPC tear.  I've heard there is depth at TE, so I wouldn't be surprised (or disappointed) if they found a lower profile guy who was a beast in round 3 instead and used the first 3 pics on Defense, but wherever it is, I sure would like a boost to the TE's.  Then the WR deficiency would be far less of a concern* (I've been saying this for a while, but noted that someone else just above also made this point, we simply agree independently).  Funchess may as well be a third TE on the field and I think they could do some wicked stuff.  

Perhaps you have a take on Funchess as a blocker? I haven't heard much about that in all the discussions? 

From what I understand Funchess is a fantastic downfield blocker, & while conventional wisdom suggests that a guy his size would be on the outside, it wouldn't surprise me to see them move him around & get him some snaps in the slot where he'd be a huge mismatch.