Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Currently Have Only $11.6 Million Of Cap Space?

BlueStallion

According to PFT (profootballtalk.com) the Colts are currently $11.6 Million under the 2012 cap ceiling based on all player contracts and roster cuts as of 4:00PM on Friday 3/9/2012.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/03/11/team-by-team-cap-space-as-of-march-11/

Does this number reflect the recent release of Peyton Manning and the five other veterans? If it does, then how will the team be able to sign Luck along with six other newly drafted players and still have cap room left to pursue any free agents?

Need help from our capologists.

According to PFT (profootballtalk.com) the Colts are currently $11.6 Million under the 2012 cap ceiling based on all player contracts and roster cuts as of 4:00PM on Friday 3/9/2012.

http://profootballta...as-of-march-11/

Does this number reflect the recent release of Peyton Manning and the five other veterans?

I'm wondering the same thing.

If it does, then how will the team be able to sign Luck along with six other newly drafted players and still have cap room left to pursue any free agents?

Trade or cut Freeney.

I can't speak for how accurate that number is, but it wouldn't suprise me if it was.

We have quite a bit of dead cap space on our books this year from giving old players bloated contracts. Next season they're going to be off the books and we'll be able to move forward but for now we have to pay for mismanaging our cap.

We'll be able to sign our draft picks, but I wouldn't hold my breath too long on being a big player in free agency...

At least this year.

Hmmm, that does sound pretty bad. However just because the cap is lower doesn't mean we couldn't still sign some decent FA's right maybe with back loaded contracts? However if that's what got us into this mess in the first place, maybe it wouldn't be worth it. I thought we had around 38 million in dead cap space? I guess cutting Freeney would bump that up around another x amount of millions but then we just basically have Mathis, Angerer, Bethea on D and Collie and Costanzo on offense haha

I'm not sure why you say "only". Irsay/Grigson were pretty clear about the players being released because of cap issues, and that continuing to free up space to be able to sign the rookies would be an issue. Frankly we should be surprised that there is free space at all. That being said, with the new rookie pay scale, I'm sure that they'll be fine.

I too thought it was around $30 million with all of the cuts so far.

Which sucks this year, but is going to be incredibly awesome next year.

Seriously, if Andrew Luck is who people say he is, and we don't completely foul up the next two offseasons we're going to be in a very good place come year 3. We're going to have so much cap space next season we can actually afford to spend some money in free agency. We'll also likely have a high (I'm thinking top 5) draft pick which we could theoretically trade down.

Give things a year to gel, and by year 3 we could be right back in the mix of things.

If we trade or cut Freeney we should have 20+ in cap space. That should be enough to sign the rookies (although I thought there is a rookie allotment but maybe im wrong), bring back some cheaper guys and maybe sign one or two decent FAs.

Here is a question for the cap-ologists, I was really confused with some of the cuts Friday. I know all the players cut had some issues, ie missing half their games in the last 2 yrs etc. But for instance Brackett represented 7 million in dead money and only 200k against the cap????? At that price he only need to play 1 game a season. Clark represented 7 million in dead money and 1 million against the cap. So all the players cut on friday saved 4.5 million on the cap, and represented 20+ million in dead money. One can think of the dead money as a advance payment that is non-refundable.

For Brackett, Clark, financially may have been the best thing, because now they can go out and find contracts for 1.5 million + a year and they comeout ahead.

Looks like grigson and irsay want to lay an egg next year, absorb all the dead money and be strong in 2013, they theoretically could carry 2 players dead money into 2013, (b/t peytons 10+ million, and brackett or clark that would be 18 million) or have it all count in 2012, but at this rate lookd like they will have it all count in 2012.

To repeat again im dumbfounded they didnt keep some of those guys on Friday

Here is a question for the cap-ologists, I was really confused with some of the cuts Friday. I know all the players cut had some issues, ie missing half their games in the last 2 yrs etc. But for instance Brackett represented 7 million in dead money and only 200k against the cap????? At that price he only need to play 1 game a season. Clark represented 7 million in dead money and 1 million against the cap. So all the players cut on friday saved 4.5 million on the cap, and represented 20+ million in dead money. One can think of the dead money as a advance payment that is non-refundable.

For Brackett, Clark, financially may have been the best thing, because now they can go out and find contracts for 1.5 million + a year and they comeout ahead.

Looks like grigson and irsay want to lay an egg next year, absorb all the dead money and be strong in 2013, they theoretically could carry 2 players dead money into 2013, (b/t peytons 10+ million, and brackett or clark that would be 18 million) or have it all count in 2012, but at this rate lookd like they will have it all count in 2012.

You may want to visit the thread that is pinned at the top entitled The Cap. If you read that thread, you will find the answers you seek.

You need to widen your perspective a little bit beyond 2012 cap. The cuts made Friday are all pre-June 1 cuts, therefore the entirety of their dead cap hits affect the 2012 cap. Beyond the 2012 cap, we have the 2013 cap and 2014 cap, which some of the recently released players had cap hits because their contracts ran that long. The savings from those cap hits need to be taken into account as well.

You may want to visit the thread that is pinned at the top entitled The Cap. If you read that thread, you will find the answers you seek.

You need to widen your perspective a little bit beyond 2012 cap. The cuts made Friday are all pre-June 1 cuts, therefore the entirety of their dead cap hits affect the 2012 cap. Beyond the 2012 cap, we have the 2013 cap and 2014 cap, which some of the recently released players had cap hits because their contracts ran that long. The savings from those cap hits need to be taken into account as well.

If I understand U right, this cap space is the "before cut" space?

Seriously, if Andrew Luck is who people say he is, and we don't completely foul up the next two offseasons we're going to be in a very good place come year 3. We're going to have so much cap space next season we can actually afford to spend some money in free agency. We'll also likely have a high (I'm thinking top 5) draft pick which we could theoretically trade down.

Give things a year to gel, and by year 3 we could be right back in the mix of things.

I agree, we should be sitting in the cat birds seat especially if both Ijalana and Constanza pan out like we hope. Angerer and Mcaffe will have to be paid in a few years so we should be able to get that done. Outside a top OG or center or a NT and Garcon, I don't want to see us dabble in FA this season and waste dollars and years of a contract (cause 2012 will be a wasted year) on anyone. See what you get in this years draft and then see what nexts draft is going to shape up like and get a few FA's that mix in from there and start on your run for the future. If Luck doesn't pan out, all this crap will be academic anyways as the franchise will be set back 5 years and FA's won't really matter.

Why year three? Luck should be good enough by the second just like Elway and Manning since he so called "better."

If we trade or cut Freeney we should have 20+ in cap space. That should be enough to sign the rookies (although I thought there is a rookie allotment but maybe im wrong), bring back some cheaper guys and maybe sign one or two decent FAs.

This 'rookie allotment' is what I need to know about, as it may be crucial at to whether the Colts can sign Luck. As we stand now, the Colts in the next two drafts have one shot at landing a franchise QB, and one shot in the other draft of getting multiple high picks for a top QB. I would prefer we get Luck now, and auction off Barkley to the highest bidder in 2013. Luck may balk at coming to Indy with very little supporting talent on offense. That's why I favor drafting o-linemen and receivers in the early rounds, and picking up at least one quality o-lineman/receiver in FA. We can than go hog-wild on defense in 2013, being $38 million under the cap.

The Colts need to demonstrate to Luck that they will get him help by getting an offensive FA pickup prior to the draft, or we risk having reduced bargaining power with Cleveland to get their picks if Luck won't sign. Although Luck has demonstrated an aversion to creating controversy, I don't believe in taking any risk here. The Colts need to go all-in for Luck.

Anybody here know the story on the 'rookie allotment', and whether it's part of the cap?

I believe it's somewhere in the neighborhood of 30 million dollars.

Could be wrong though. Not a capologist by any stretch of the imagination.

I heard $38M.

It's a shame I stopped having time to track this stuff; stupid work and business.

*kicks can

also thanx to the skins and the boys we just got an additional 1.6 million in cap space. Ha!! also I belive the dead cap number of 38 mil can be split anyway we want over the next two years.. so basically we could have anywhere between 13 and 30 million under this year.. :)

also thanx to the skins and the boys we just got an additional 1.6 million in cap space. Ha!! also I belive the dead cap number of 38 mil can be split anyway we want over the next two years.. so basically we could have anywhere between 13 and 30 million under this year.. :)

I don't know if that's true, but if it is we might as well eat it all this season. We're going to be a bad team next year, might as well get an early draft pick and have plenty of cap room for the future.