Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Mort - "peyton Thought He Was Going Back To The Colts"

Peyton and Eli fan

Was listening to Mike and Mike this morning and Chris Mortensen was on. He said that people don't seem to want to believe it, but Peyton really thought he was returning to the Colts this year right up until Irsay said no one week ago.

Manning was happy with his throwing session at Duke, and thought he'd be returning.

He said it's been an exhausting week for Peyton.

I dont know if I buy this.

If Peyton really thought he was coming back, he was the only one. Sources close to him said he would play in 2012, but not in Indy right around super bowl time. I think this is something Mort is floating via Peyton to make Irsay look worse.

If Peyton really thought he was coming back, he was the only one. Sources close to him said he would play in 2012, but not in Indy right around super bowl time. I think this is something Mort is floating via Peyton to make Irsay look worse.

It didn't make Irsay sound bad. He was explaining why Peyton might not be ready to make a decision by Tuesday.

I don't understand the people who are mad at Jim. He is one of the best owners out there and anyone who is mad at him because he did what he felt was best for the team needs to calm down and breathe. We may not agree with what he did, but he did not do it to harm his team. That would be past the point of clueless and I have never though he was a stupid man.

I love Peyton and it broke my heart to see him go but I don't blame Irsay. How could I not knowing what the decision was based on? All I have is speculation and my own ideas about what happened, but not enough knowledge that I can say I'm right, so I continue to believe they both did what they felt was best because it would be foolish on my part to believe otherwise.

(Unless of course Jim just wanted some hate twitter and half of his fan-base to blow up. ;) )

By all rights Peyton would've never been able to win another championship when the players we just released would've been released anyway. This was the right move for the Colts and Manning.

that is true, but Honestly i dont expect all thsi chagnes happening had 18 stayed.

i could see bracket and bullit gone. not clarck. maybe addai

Not to be snarky but I really don't care. What's done is done. And it does appear that for Manning it'll probably turn out to be the best thing and apparently the franchise was getting ready to be in a very bad situation capwise.

I've moved on. Andrew Luck is (for all intents and purposes) the Quarterback of the Indianapolis Colts. And any potential muckracking against Jim Irsay is just that. Mort, LaCanfora, Schefter, Florio and Krapitz (noodle arm) can all go to press purgatory. I roll with the Colts.

:rantoff:

gallery_5892_56_7110.jpg

that is true, but Honestly i dont expect all thsi chagnes happening had 18 stayed.

i could see bracket and bullit gone. not clarck. maybe addai

I agree. I think part of the reason they let Peyton go is because they wanted to release all these guys (for cap and changing schemes reasons), and I think they know he would NOT have been one happy camper to have Dallas gone, Reggie gone, Addai gone, and possibly Pierre. So instead of making him play with bare bones, they let him explore options that give him a better chance to succeed.

I agree. He would have been the only one "in the know" who did not know. I don't buy it. I think Jim presented the plan of what the Colts were planning to do and they decided it was best to go somewhere and have a chance to win now and not spend his last years in teaching mode.

By all rights he should have been able to stay.

No reason to gut a franchise that was in the Super Bowl two years ago, because you can draft a highly rated quarterback prospect.

Do you really think they would be a Super Bowl contending team even with all those guys?

Was listening to Mike and Mike this morning and Chris Mortensen was on. He said that people don't seem to want to believe it, but Peyton really thought he was returning to the Colts this year right up until Irsay said no one week ago.

Manning was happy with his throwing session at Duke, and thought he'd be returning.

He said it's been an exhausting week for Peyton.

Of course he did.....He's lived here most of his life..

...but we'd probably have had to cut all his guys...Clark, Addai...Brackett, Bullitt to fit him in

in 2013 and 2014....

..I thought he was coming back to....especially when we signed Mathis

Not to be snarky but I really don't care. What's done is done. And it does appear that for Manning it'll probably turn out to be the best thing and apparently the franchise was getting ready to be in a very bad situation capwise.

I've moved on. Andrew Luck is (for all intents and purposes) the Quarterback of the Indianapolis Colts. And any potential muckracking against Jim Irsay is just that. Mort, LaCanfora, Schefter, Florio and Krapitz (noodle arm) can all go to press purgatory. I roll with the Colts.

:rantoff:

gallery_5892_56_7110.jpg

dont want to shake you up..but we havent drafted or signed him yet...

...he has to be OK with our new direction'

It's not even been a week, let people adjust at their own rate.

People can take as much time as they want. It's not like anything I say here is going to make someone suddenly see the light.

But the point remains, if we continue to pick our scabs, the wound isn't going to heal.

By all rights he should have been able to stay.

No reason to gut a franchise that was in the Super Bowl two years ago, because you can draft a highly rated quarterback prospect.

That is probably the worst part, we already have a pretty good team with Peyton Manning and good coaching, but add in trading the #1 pick and cost effective free agents... The colts could have been really good this year and in the future. They still can resign Peyton and their other veteran free agents, but it doesn't seem like they want to move in that direction. It feels like a waste of what we have if they choose to go into rebuilding mode.

Sure.... I find it so hard to believe that Peyton Manning thought he was going to come back to the colts /sarcasm...

Now you just hating on Peyton. Even if the story is meant to make Irsay look bad considering that Irsay wasn't very nice and respectful to him at times, I still think it's the truth.

That is probably the worst part, we already have a pretty good team with Peyton Manning and good coaching, but add in trading the #1 pick and cost effective free agents... The colts could have been really good this year and in the future. They still can resign Peyton and their other veteran free agents, but it doesn't seem like they want to move in that direction. It feels like a waste of what we have if they choose to go into rebuilding mode.

Sorry, but resigning vets spending last 1-2 seasons or IR, makes no sense IMO. They all were good in 2006 and maybe in 2009. But since then? I don't like to see PM going, but thats the way it is, we have to accept it. He wants a contender team, simply what this Colts aren't. PM has 2 more good season, and he shouldn't spend it with taking a half-rookie-half new team on his back instead of going after SB. It is hard to accept, even for me. SBs are the past greatness, and now we have to look into the future, no matter how much we are afraid of it.

A little surprised as I thought he was fine with leaving, but seeing him want to return and think he was going to return kinda hurts me. I think it was just too much of a risk to resign him. I really don't know what to think anymore. I'm tired of people saying it was a good move or a bad move...let's just see how he does next year.

Peyton (and us) were told it was up to him...

Of course he thought he was coming back...

...but I guess it was barely even possible...financially

Peyton (and us) were told it was up to him...

Of course he thought he was coming back...

...but I guess it was barely even possible...financially

I still don't think that the decision was a "financial" decision with regards to Peyton. I assume that in the meetings that took place between Peyton and Irsay, he was told that Regie would not be retainted, Garcon may leave the Colts, and that Clark, Addai, Bullit, Painter, and Bracket were going to be released to make cap space. At this point it was Manning's decision to stay with the Colts or look to play with another team. At the press conference, they mentioned that it was a mutual decision. Manning no longer saw the Colts as his best option, with so many of his close teammates leaving or being released. Not to mention the already existing problem of a poor defense, and now a lack of offense, and a whole new coaching staff. It was clear to Peyton that it was time to move on for both sides.

I still don't think that the decision was a "financial" decision with regards to Peyton. I assume that in the meetings that took place between Peyton and Irsay, he was told that Regie would not be retainted, Garcon may leave the Colts, and that Clark, Addai, Bullit, Painter, and Bracket were going to be released to make cap space. At this point it was Manning's decision to stay with the Colts or look to play with another team. At the press conference, they mentioned that it was a mutual decision. Manning no longer saw the Colts as his best option, with so many of his close teammates leaving or being released. Not to mention the already existing problem of a poor defense, and now a lack of offense, and a whole new coaching staff. It was clear to Peyton that it was time to move on for both sides.

"Painter will be released!! Where's a parachute?" /sarcasm/

I don't understand the people who are mad at Jim. He is one of the best owners out there and anyone who is mad at him because he did what he felt was best for the team needs to calm down and breathe. We may not agree with what he did, but he did not do it to harm his team. That would be past the point of clueless and I have never though he was a stupid man.

I love Peyton and it broke my heart to see him go but I don't blame Irsay. How could I not knowing what the decision was based on? All I have is speculation and my own ideas about what happened, but not enough knowledge that I can say I'm right, so I continue to believe they both did what they felt was best because it would be foolish on my part to believe otherwise.

(Unless of course Jim just wanted some hate twitter and half of his fan-base to blow up. ;) )

People blame Caldwell, polian (both of them) and peyton's injury for what happened in 2010 and our cap problems now. How does the CEO go unscathed and blame free in that process?

This is why more people should be upset with Irsay. He made it clear so many times that if Peyton was healthy and wanted to play he would. That was a lie. He even had Peyton believing. Peyton might not be 100 percent right now, but he is healthy. By September he will be 100 percent, or as close as he is going to get. This is Jims baby now. I hope he is right. I just dont see giving away a winning franchise like he has in a few months. He must have seen Luck walking on water some where.

It was money..Those cap hits for 2012 and future years were intimidating for all the players you mentioned...

Whatever the eventual statement was..the genesis of it all was the contracts

If and I meen If that did happen. Then he had no choice to stay. JIm was like, "Ok Peyton we are going to blow this franchise up since some new super star is entering the league and we have a chance at him. You can stay if you want, its up to you. We are going to be horrible for a while though. You probably wont have a chance at a winning season before your too old to play anymore.Oh, and we are going to let the Rookie QB take as many snaps as you at practice as well."

WOW, I would have jumped at the chance to finish my career with a bunch of no names and a rookie QB at nippen at my ankles too. lol.

A little surprised as I thought he was fine with leaving, but seeing him want to return and think he was going to return kinda hurts me. I think it was just too much of a risk to resign him. I really don't know what to think anymore. I'm tired of people saying it was a good move or a bad move...let's just see how he does next year.

Thanks Andy my thoughts exactly and I hope where ever he goes he does great. Like he said he doesn't want to retire and until he feels he no longer can play to his expectations I look for him to play if possible. Would have loved to see him retire a Colt but that does not always happen as we have seen. I'm sure it would have been a very uneasy situation with Luck being drafted and on the bench or Peyton having to compete for the starting QB spot. I would also wonder what would have happened the first time Peyton threw a Int and fans calling for Luck. As bad as I hated to see him go I think for Peyton it was the best for him and let the Colts move on and maybe he can get with a team that is in a better position to win now instead of a few years down the road.

I can see why they let some of the players go but some I'm kind of confused about but what do I know. All I feel is that Luck may turn out to be a great player who knows for sure but he has pretty big shoes to fill and only time will tell if he can.

Good luck Peyton you were one of a kind that I was glad I was able to watch for 14 years. What a ride.

Thank you.