Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The 'bar' is now 10-6

oldunclemark

1 hour ago, DougDew said:

I think that is a realistic view about how many of us will perceive the Colts.  Keep in mind however that a lot of folks have publicly stated, very early, their praise for Ballard, their praise for Reich, their praise for Luck, their praise of Nelson...pick which ever Colts you want......each one of these folks having their favorites.  

So if we go 8-8 next year, I'm pretty sure many folks will not harbor as much animus as they did towards the previous teams that dropped off to any ensuing teams, because they simply haven't remained neutral for very long.

I prefer a slow build to the overachieving party we had this year, so I have no problem with the direction of the team if we go 8-8 next year.

And what the years' have shown me is that when Luck is healthy, we go 10-6, overachieving even in past years.  The other stuff about GMs, coaches, roster, etc is being way way overrated, IMO.   It comes into play after the first playoff game, but Luck is good enough to get us to 10-6 most regular seasons.

I agree.  Luck masks a lot of defects on this team.  Like i said, a blow out is goodl.  It reveals the warts.  There are still many areas that need to b addressed.  We need a playmaker wide reciever.  I like Wilkins more than Mack. Glowinski faded down the stretch.  Our safety situation is a big concern, as Hooker and Feathers can't stay healthy. We need at least 2 new D linemen. I doubt we can address most of our needs in free agency, as players will get franchised. Also our tight end situation is not as sound as most people think.  Ebron can't catch and his only positive trait is that he is a red zone target. I can see why Detroit gave up on him.   He has way to many mental lapses. He seems like a nice guy, but kind of a clown.    I still think we have to draft best player available. This team is 2 drafts away.  I hope Ballard doesn't get itchy and try and build it to fast ala Grigson. We may finish 8 and 8 next year, but be a better team.  The Colts have a very tough schedule next year. 2021 is our year and not 2020.  Just my 2 cents worth

• Like 1

3 hours ago, coltfaninnewyork said:

We will be a one seed next year 

I am thinking #2 or #3 - AFC South winner with 11-5 record.

Chiefs, Chargers, Saints, Steelers - we have to win one of those 4 difficult road games to go 4-4 or 5-3 on the road and go at least 7-1 or 6-2 at home. 

Our road schedule is brutal. I hope we play the Saints, Steelers and Chargers earlier in the year when those teams typically sputter. 

1 minute ago, chad72 said:

I am thinking #2 or #3 - AFC South winner with 11-5 record.

Chiefs, Chargers, Saints, Steelers - we have to win one of those 4 difficult road games to go 4-4 or 5-3 on the road and go at least 7-1 or 6-2 at home. 

Our road schedule is brutal. I hope we play the Saints, Steelers and Chargers earlier in the year when those teams typically sputter. 

This is why fans get so disappointed. With that road schedule it’s going to be hard to match this years record.

1 hour ago, DougDew said:

So if we go 8-8 next year, I'm pretty sure many folks will not harbor as much animus as they did towards the previous teams that dropped off to any ensuing teams, because they simply haven't remained neutral for very long.

I think you're right.  Most fans don't stay neutral.

I don't think it's natural for a fan to stay neutral.  It's natural to be optimistic about future success and pessimistic about past failures.  Fans look at everything through the lens of what they want from their team.

It's hard for most fans to stay realistically analytical when they typically get emotionally invested in their favorite team and crave success.

4 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

This is why fans get so disappointed. With that road schedule it’s going to be hard to match this years record.

Yeah, we need to be dominant at home to get a high seed and with that schedule, wishing for a #2 seed is a tad optimistic, IMO. If I am being objective, #3 seed at best is what I feel.

Patriots get Chiefs and Steelers at home and outside Ravens and Eagles on the road, I do not see any difficult games on their schedule with them playing the NFC East and living in the AFC East. I am thinking HFA for the Patriots next year, again.

2 hours ago, oldunclemark said:

Its not about then and now.

We have had fifteen 10-win seasons in the last 20 years.

I believe that only the Patriots (who have 17) have more.

Is it realistic to do better than we did this year on a consistent basis and do we have to understand that?

I ask because I'm disappointed we didn't beat KC,. I thought , before the game, we could get to the Super Bowl this year.  How realistic is that?

We could drop off like Jacksonville next year...is it logical to be disappointed by 10-6 when we do it 3 of every 4 years and almost nobody else does? 

Throw the record out of the equation.  The bar that has been set for next year is not 10-6. It is be a playoff team and advance further than the year before. We could be 9-7 and make it to the AFCC. That would be a more successful season than going 11-5 but getting bounced in our first playoff game.  Just my opinion.  Ultimately at the end of the day the goal is to win the Lombardi.  The closer we get to that prize defines progress from year to year. 

Im also disappointed by the outcome against the Chiefs. Along this journey I finally started to believe we could go all the way this season.  I was disappointed that our offense didn’t play like we know they could have.  But credit to Kansas City. They clearly showed why they are the better team right now.  I think the Colts have a 5 year window if they want to win a Lombardi with Luck.  The team overall is young but Luck isn’t a spring chicken anymore.  The emergence of Mahomes kind of depresses me quite honestly.  We have to get a lot better or we might be bridesmaids again to another dynasty. 

• Like 4

On 1/13/2019 at 9:47 AM, NannyMcafee said:

The Colts only draft pick that was highly toted by anyone was Nelson.

Other than that the Colts picked players that no one had projected us to take. Some even thought Leonard was a reach.

This gives me hope that we have assembled a good scouting screw along with having Ballard who is a good scout in and of himself.

This is the first draft that Ballard is picking at a higher spot. The test is now. I don't expect a draft like 2018 but to get more starters... Then I will be on the Ballard bandwagon entirely. That is the only thing holding me back. Can he still find talent anywhere on the board?

I have zero problems with his FA approach, and even applaud it.

Reich will have more toys to play with next year, and I expect him to play call like it. Last night the lack of a run game (Colts 8-1 with 100+ yards) was extremely short sighted and has me worried. Mack was ripping off yards at the end of the game. Even half of those gains would have been a respectable run game last night. Want to see him improve in this area next year hopefully.

The hero of the season IMO was Matt Eberflus. The most consistent unit on the team has been the defense. They showed time and time again they can make stops in the important moments. This defense played more than good enough last night to win this game. the offense has the ability to blow that KC defense out of the water. We could have easily handled the Cheifs. The COLTS defense made stops repeatedly against the best offense in the NFL.

Excellent post. 

On ‎1‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 12:19 PM, Coltsman1788 said:

Throw the record out of the equation.  The bar that has been set for next year is not 10-6. It is be a playoff team and advance further than the year before. We could be 9-7 and make it to the AFCC. That would be a more successful season than going 11-5 but getting bounced in our first playoff game.  Just my opinion.  Ultimately at the end of the day the goal is to win the Lombardi.  The closer we get to that prize defines progress from year to year. 

Im also disappointed by the outcome against the Chiefs. Along this journey I finally started to believe we could go all the way this season.  I was disappointed that our offense didn’t play like we know they could have.  But credit to Kansas City. They clearly showed why they are the better team right now.  I think the Colts have a 5 year window if they want to win a Lombardi with Luck.  The team overall is young but Luck isn’t a spring chicken anymore.  The emergence of Mahomes kind of depresses me quite honestly.  We have to get a lot better or we might be bridesmaids again to another dynasty. 

I hear what you're saying but I'm talking about what we've done .

The bar is 10-6 because we've won at least 10 in 15 of the last 20 years and we've made the playoffs in ALL 15 of those years.

I know you could go 10-6 and NOT make the post season and you could got 9-7 and win it all

But 'This is Us', to steal a cliche'

15  10-win season. 15 playoff berths in 20 years.

I just wonder how realistic  we are rooting for a franchise with that record.

I thought we'd beat KC. I really did.

But everything they did early worked. I underestimated their defense.

..and Mahomes is amazing to me.

You cannot throw the ball accurately from the angles he throws. He throws the ball like a baseball shortstop. All angles, submarine,. sidearm.

there's a reason they average 34-35 points a game.....I thought we could score 35, too.

Didn't happen..

On 1/13/2019 at 9:44 AM, oldunclemark said:

Its not easy to go from 4-12 (and then from 1-5) to 10-6 like the Colts did this year but the task ahead is probably more difficult

...because 10-6 is now 'the bar'. It will be (and should be) expected that the 2019 Colts post a record of 10-6 or, at the very least, qualify for the playoffs as the 6th seed because that's what we did this year.….Not that we cant do it but it will be expected that we do.

Its probably time to recall that the 2012 Colts were 11-6....

…....the 2013 Colts were 12-6

…....and the 2014 Colts were 13-6.

…...the 2018 Colts were 11-7

Forget about games we think we should have won...or game where we were not close.

the coach and GM in 2012 to 2014 are now ridiculed here...Back then, we had faith in them and praised them.

the coach and GM we have now are praised but if we're 10-6 the next 2 years, their names will become bad words, too.

Do we understand how difficult it is to improve from 10-6 or 11-5 when everybody expects you to?

Is it realistic to do better than 10-5 or 11-6 every year in today's NFL?

..your thoughts?

It is what it is & not unreasonable .

I'm more about the playoff bar.

Strength of schedules change, along with other teams in the conference.  Injuries can also cost you a game or two.

My "bar" is have they improved against "top" teams and to make playoffs and make a legitimate playoff run.  The 2nd somewhat hinges on the 1st.

In off-season , further build and strengthen both lines, wr, rush, lb, s,c depth and competition.  Its not as bad as it looked ks on paper. Normally most of your draft is your depth to take over in future.  Our draft started most, this has affected our depth so it will take another draft or two to fully build this team "the right way."

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I agree. It may take 12-4 to get it?

Probably 12-4. I mean we went 11-5 3 straight years and we couldn't get anything better than the 4 seed. NE went 11-5 to get it but that was an outlier. 12-4 should do it, and with our schedule that task is daunting.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, DraftMaster said:

Probably 12-4. I mean we went 11-5 3 straight years and we couldn't get anything better than the 4 seed. NE went 11-5 to get it but that was an outlier. 12-4 should do it, and with our schedule that task is daunting.

I know I see us 10-6 again or maybe 11-5 with that schedule. 12-4 is pushing it.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I know I see us 10-6 again or maybe 11-5 with that schedule. 12-4 is pushing it.

Right now it is, but the league changes a lot from now to September. Who knows which teams will be good next year and which will be bad? Our schedule could get tougher or easier.

Just now, DraftMaster said:

Right now it is, but the league changes a lot from now to September. Who knows which teams will be good next year and which will be bad? Our schedule could get tougher or easier.

Very true. I always wait until after the Draft and Free Agency to give a win total for the Colts that I feel like is possible. Then I give my final one after the Pre-season because of team health going in. An 11-5 projection is just based on Luck being back and healthy, O.Line being corrected, our Defense is now above average, and Reich has a season under his belt as HC. 

• Like 1

Although I would agree expectations are higher, and deservedly so, I never feel comfortable at this stage putting a win loss total to it. Each season is its own beast, I think this season was that as it unfolded with our start of the year vs our finish. Injuries and other things you can't factor in, and can effect the outcome each and every year, so until we get closer to September, I will refrain from assigning a win loss prediction.  

So for me, improving on our talent base, improve upon our execution and the ability to stay a bit more even keel. I think the KC game illustrated this point perfectly in that it was a perfect storm of talent, coaching and want to, to get us there but it took all of those things clicking to even make it to the playoffs, there wasn't enough talent behind that curtain if any one of those areas faltered. We need more base of talent and resource to draw from so that if one thing lets down, we can still hang and run with the big dogs......

5 minutes ago, Crunked said:

Although I would agree expectations are higher, and deservedly so, I never feel comfortable at this stage putting a win loss total to it. Each season is its own beast, I think this season was that as it unfolded with our start of the year vs our finish. Injuries and other things you can't factor in, and can effect the outcome each and every year, so until we get closer to September, I will refrain from assigning a win loss prediction.  

So for me, improving on our talent base, improve upon our execution and the ability to stay a bit more even keel. I think the KC game illustrated this point perfectly in that it was a perfect storm of talent, coaching and want to, to get us there but it took all of those things clicking to even make it to the playoffs, there wasn't enough talent behind that curtain if any one of those areas faltered. We need more base of talent and resource to draw from so that if one thing lets down, we can still hang and run with the big dogs......

Yeah it's way too early to put a win total on next season. You would think 10 or 11 wins after what we just finished but every season is different.

Personally, I would never set a bar for how many wins a team should have. Why set myself up for disappointment? I want to see a well built team who plays hard, carries themselves with class on and off the field, and gives fans hope week in and week out.