Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The 'bar' is now 10-6

oldunclemark

Its not easy to go from 4-12 (and then from 1-5) to 10-6 like the Colts did this year but the task ahead is probably more difficult

...because 10-6 is now 'the bar'. It will be (and should be) expected that the 2019 Colts post a record of 10-6 or, at the very least, qualify for the playoffs as the 6th seed because that's what we did this year.….Not that we cant do it but it will be expected that we do.

Its probably time to recall that the 2012 Colts were 11-6....

…....the 2013 Colts were 12-6

…....and the 2014 Colts were 13-6.

…...the 2018 Colts were 11-7

Forget about games we think we should have won...or game where we were not close.

the coach and GM in 2012 to 2014 are now ridiculed here...Back then, we had faith in them and praised them.

the coach and GM we have now are praised but if we're 10-6 the next 2 years, their names will become bad words, too.

Do we understand how difficult it is to improve from 10-6 or 11-5 when everybody expects you to?

Is it realistic to do better than 10-5 or 11-6 every year in today's NFL?

..your thoughts?

8 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

..your thoughts?

The previous GM and HC weren't "bad words" until Luck got injured and we went 8-8 and missed the playoffs, which ended our upward trajectory.

The same could happen to the new regime, but for now we are on an upward trajectory.

And 10-6 was established as the floor in a year we were supposed to be "rebuilding" which is pretty impressive.  :thmup:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Yes, it’s realistic to do better than 5 losses.  But the goals should be: 

1. Win the division 

2. Win home field for the playoffs 

So, what did we learn from this loss?  Need upgrades at WR, and better DBs, as well as a good edge rusher?  And, I’ve been advocating a power RB.  

I’d say all that, as well as a better game plan and in game adjustments.   All can be achieved.  The future is bright, get your sunglasses ready. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Lucky Colts Fan said:

The previous GM and HC weren't "bad words" until Luck got injured and we went 8-8 and missed the playoffs, which ended our upward trajectory.

The same could happen to the new regime, but for now we are on an upward trajectory.

And 10-6 was established as the floor in a year we were supposed to be "rebuilding" which is pretty impressive.  :thmup:

..are you referring to 2018 or 2012   as the 'rebuilding' year?

1 minute ago, Smonroe said:

1. Win the division 

So, what did we learn from this loss?  Need upgrades at WR, and better DBs, as well as a good edge rusher?  And, I’ve been advocating a power RB.  

I’d say all that, as well as a better game plan and in game adjustments.   All can be achieved.  The future is bright, get your sunglasses ready. 

The goals should be: Go 19-0 and win it all

Forget about what we do or don't need for a second...

If we go 10-6, 11-5 and 10-6  the next 3 years (including this one)

is that OK?  Should it be?:thinking:

1 minute ago, oldunclemark said:

it would be ok, but its more about how they do in the playoffs

we will have a 30 year old andrew luck next year, its time to win now imo.  im not convinced he will play to 40 like some QBs do

• Like 2

If it gets us into the playoffs, then yeah.

What really matters is what we do once we're in the playoffs.

If we digress and are one-and-done in the playoffs next year and/or the year after, then there will be some grumbling from unsatisfied fans.

• Thanks 2

16 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

Its not easy to go from 4-12 (and then from 1-5) to 10-6 like the Colts did this year but the task ahead is probably more difficult

...because 10-6 is now 'the bar'. It will be (and should be) expected that the 2019 Colts post a record of 10-6 or, at the very least, qualify for the playoffs as the 6th seed because that's what we did this year.….Not that we cant do it but it will be expected that we do.

Forget about games we think we should have won...or game where we were not close.

the coach and GM in 2012 to 2014 are now ridiculed here...Back then, we had faith in them and praised them.

the coach and GM we have now are praised but if we're 10-6 the next 2 years, their names will become bad words, too.

Do we understand how difficult it is to improve from 10-6 or 11-5 when everybody expects you to?

..your thoughts?

Making the playoffs is never a guarantee.  I would think Colt fans of all fan bases know this.  What I mean is you were always in the playoffs till Manning got hurt and you went 2-14 and it showed how poor that team was built and how much Manning was the team. You draft Luck and well back in the playoffs but he gets hurt and again back to 8-8.. which IMO is a HUGE improvement it shows the team had grown to be more of a team.  So basically the Colts like everyone else are just one key injury to be fighting for draft position.  For my team I expect them to suck beyond Suck in two years have the first overall pick and draft that kid from Clemson.. then the rivalry be back on lol..

i expect the colts lots next year win their division, and be fighting for a bye as long as Luck stays healthy.. and you get a second WR go with Hilton.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

They were both supposed to be "rebuilding" years, but we went 11-5 in 2012 and 10-6 in 2018.

Both are impressive.

I guess that's my question.  LCF.

Is what we did this year good for you?

Will it be if we do it again next year

Very few franchises go 10-6 every year but we truthfully didn't win anything.

Are we demanding? Spoiled? Unrealistic?  Aspiring ever higher?

Or just fans who can be all 4.:dunno:

7 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

Yes.  We went beyond expectations.  Now it will be expected next year, and if we meet expectations, that will be good for me.

7 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

Yes.  All true fans are all 4.  Of course I want 19-0, but I will settle for making it to the divisional round, and hoping to make it to the AFCCG.  :thmup:

• Like 1

Just now, Lucky Colts Fan said:

Yes.  We went beyond expectations.  Now it will be expected next year, and if we meet expectations, that will be good for me.

Yes.  All true fans are all 4.  Of course I want 19-0, but I will settle for making it to the divisional round, and hoping to make it to the AFCCG.  :thmup:

I'm just talking....day after elimination talk

25 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

1. Win the division 

This!

13 minutes ago, NewEra said:

First goal, win our division.  

That opens a lot of doors that, being the '5' or the '6', you have to break down. 

We know the road (playing 3 consecutive road playoff games) to get to the championship game is dark, dusty and usually closed.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm just talking....day after elimination talk

I get it.

Some people still need to vent after last night.  It was disappointing.

I was over it right after the game.  It was a good season.  We weren't even supposed to be there, so I can't really be mad that we didn't make it any further.  :dunno:

• Like 2

We will still need to keep making steps forward. Remember we got to 10-6 with one of the easiest schedules. I think next year we have road games against KC, LAC and NO. 

But I think we will push on and win the AFCS next year.  Most of the players on this roster are in the league 3 years or less and should naturally improve. I believe we are already best team in the division despite being the youngest. And I expect Ballard to continue to bring in more talent.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

I get it.

Some people still need to vent after last night.  It was disappointing.

I was over it right after the game.  It was a good season.  We weren't even supposed to be there, so I can't really be mad that we didn't make it any further.  :dunno:

I worry that we don't have many more years we have at this level.

We have been so lucky to have the QB for two decades that makes 10-6 or 11-5 every year possible.  Most teams don't have that.  New Orleans, NE and Pittsburg know 'that day' is coming  when they won't have that guy.

I'm never 'mad' at my team when they win more than they lose...just disappointed that we failed to advance.

But then I say....four 10-win regular seasons in the last  years....and what 15 over the last 20 years?

Thats' good. Can you ask more of a franchise that does that every year?

To win the title, you need luck.....at more than one position

Its not the NBA or the NHL where everybody gets in.

Maybe we should be happy with 10-6 and a playoff berth every year.

Fifteen 10-win regular seasons in the last 20 years.

That glass is far more than half full. 

But just one title and just 2 Super Bowls.

I don't know

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

The goals should be: Go 19-0 and win it all

Forget about what we do or don't need for a second...

I’m sure you remember the Manning years where the regular season was sort of an afterthought.  We knew we’d have a great record, it was all about how we’d do in the playoffs.  

That’s my thought.  The record only matters if it gets us in the playoffs.  And, of course, we’d need a better record to get home field.  

So, to answer your question, I really don’t care about the record making it okay.  I care about the record getting us home field in the playoffs.  That would be more than okay.  

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

The previous regime was always fools gold.  Ballard is building the team and hiring the type of coaches (albeit good fortune) the way it should have been done the day Luck was drafted.

signing old free agents and putting a young QB in a vertical offense with a pourous offensive line was was not a recipe for substaned success.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

I worry that we don't have many more years we have at this level.

We have been so lucky to have the QB for two decades that makes 10-6 or 11-5 every year possible.  Most teams don't have that.  New Orleans, NE and Pittsburg know 'that day' is coming  when they won't have that guy.

I'm never 'mad' at my team when they win more than they lose...just disappointed that we failed to advance.

But then I say....four 10-win regular seasons in the last  years....and what 14 over the last 20 years?

Thats' good. Can you ask more of a franchise that does that every year?

To win the title, you need luck.....at more than one position

Its not the NBA or the NHL where everybody gets in.

Maybe we should be happy with 10-6 and a playoff berth every year

NO! As fans you shouldn’t be satisfied with that. You guys yet AGAIN have a great QB and with him behind center the SB should be your expectations.  This year the Colts were the walking wounded for a long portion and were forced to go play in the cold of KC.  I know people say that doesn’t matter, but it does with health the Colts should expect get Hone field for at least a couple of rounds. 

I hope i dont get slammed for this, but the Colts wasted Manning by not building a team around him.. (1 SB  with one of the greatest of all time is just not enough IMO) I hope they learned from that and build a TEAM around Luck not just shiny WR and using late picks for a D that you hope can stand up against the best talent. (Which is what’s going to happen to KC wether it NE or LA they are not a SB Team)

Just now, JimJaime said:

I hope i dont get slammed for this, but the Colts wasted Manning by not building a team around him.. (1 SB  with one of the greatest of all time is just not enough IMO) 

i agree somewhat but  we did have the best team in 05 and  chocked to the steelers in the divisional round.  also lost a superbowl in 09 as the favorite 

2 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

I’m sure you remember the Manning years where the regular season was sort of an afterthought.  We knew we’d have a great record, it was all about how we’d do in the playoffs.  

That’s my thought.  The record only matters if it gets us in the playoffs.  And, of course, we’d need a better record to get home field.  

So, to answer your question, I really don’t care about the record making it okay.  I care about the record getting us home field in the playoffs.  That would be more than okay.  

Without 10 wins you cant win your division...

Fifteen 10-win regular seasons in 20 years...

Is that realistic in today's NFL??

Yes? No? 

Is it realistic to be proud of that in a league that includes Detroit and Jacksonville.

Or do real fans say: Only playoffs matter?  No trophies for winning 10 of 16.

There's no right or wrong answer.

I'm just asking

14 minutes ago, BOTT said:

Ballard is building the team and hiring the type of coaches (albeit good fortune) the way it should have been done the day Luck was drafted.

Its not about then and now.

We have had fifteen 10-win seasons in the last 20 years.

I believe that only the Patriots (who have 17) have more.

Is it realistic to do better than we did this year on a consistent basis and do we have to understand that?

I ask because I'm disappointed we didn't beat KC,. I thought , before the game, we could get to the Super Bowl this year.  How realistic is that?

We could drop off like Jacksonville next year...is it logical to be disappointed by 10-6 when we do it 3 of every 4 years and almost nobody else does? 

9 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

Its not about then and now.

We have had fifteen 10-win seasons in 20 years.

I believe that only the Patriots have more.

Is it realistic to do better than we did this year on a consistent basis and do we have to understand that?

I ask because I'm disappointed we didn't beat KC,. I thought , before the game, we could get to the Super Bowl this year.  How realistic is that?

We could drop off like Jacksonville next year...is it logical to be disappointed by 10-6 when we do it 3 of every 4 years? 

yes it's realistic.  I feel like all the pieces (GM, coaches, QB)are in place to do just that. They just have to make the right moves in free agency and the draft.......Ballard has the team set up well on both fronts.

i wasn't that disappointed in the loss to KC. I wish they would have played better, but I did not expect the colts to win.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

i agree somewhat but  we did have the best team in 05 and  chocked to the steelers in the divisional round.  also lost a superbowl in 09 as the favorite 

I may have the bar set high as Brady has well been maximized better than any other Great QB I can think of... but I always thought Manning should have Ben to 5 SB sand won 3.. he fell just short.. and I just always wonder how much better he may have been with a coach LIKE BB. (Dungy was good but he wasn’t well next level)

1 hour ago, oldunclemark said:

..your thoughts?

I think that is a realistic view about how many of us will perceive the Colts.  Keep in mind however that a lot of folks have publicly stated, very early, their praise for Ballard, their praise for Reich, their praise for Luck, their praise of Nelson...pick which ever Colts you want......each one of these folks having their favorites.  

So if we go 8-8 next year, I'm pretty sure many folks will not harbor as much animus as they did towards the previous teams that dropped off to any ensuing teams, because they simply haven't remained neutral for very long.

I prefer a slow build to the overachieving party we had this year, so I have no problem with the direction of the team if we go 8-8 next year.

And what the years' have shown me is that when Luck is healthy, we go 10-6, overachieving even in past years.  The other stuff about GMs, coaches, roster, etc is being way way overrated, IMO.   It comes into play after the first playoff game, but Luck is good enough to get us to 10-6 most regular seasons.

58 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

That opens a lot of doors that, being the '5' or the '6', you have to break down. 

We know the road (playing 3 consecutive road playoff games) to get to the championship game is dark, dusty and usually closed.   

The loss to KC will be a good thing in the long run. Gabe all the young guys some very much needed learning experience and a big fat slice of humble pie. I think they thought they were just going to show up. Doesn't work that way in the NFL. Win the division, I can see this team as one of the best amongst the AFC is we grow from this year. The guys need to put in some serious work during the off season. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Chloe6124 said:

We better hope this team gets where it needs to be soon. Luck isn’t 23 yo where we can waste 3 or 4 years rebuilding. This organization wasted so many years with him. Then the injury taking him off the field for almost two years. 

I rhink KC could very well be the next dynasty with Mahomes only being 23 yo.

QB's play until they are 40 now days. Luck is only 29. Tom Brady is 102.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

QB's play until they are 40 now days. Luck is only 29. Tom Brady is 102.

I don’t get the feeling Luck will play until he is 40. And we all know once they hit 35 it’s a crap shoot whether they can still play at a high level. Peyton, Brady,  Rivers and Bree’s are the exception not the rule. The pressure to get that ring gets bigger also the older they get.

4 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

I don’t get the feeling Luck will play until he is 40. And we all know once they hit 35 it’s a crap shoot whether they can still play at a high level. Peyton, Brady,  Rivers and Bree’s are the exception not the rule. The pressure to get that ring gets bigger also the older they get.

Lets say worse case scenario Luck only plays until he's 35, that still gives us 6 seasons to get it done.

2 minutes ago, indyagent17 said:

Primary goal is win the division, once that happens as you can set your next goals

It will be interesting to see what Jacks does with their QB situation. They have a great defense. Our whole Division is good for a change. 3 teams had winning records, I can't remember the last time that happened. 

The Colts only draft pick that was highly toted by anyone was Nelson.

Other than that the Colts picked players that no one had projected us to take. Some even thought Leonard was a reach.

This gives me hope that we have assembled a good scouting screw along with having Ballard who is a good scout in and of himself.

This is the first draft that Ballard is picking at a higher spot. The test is now. I don't expect a draft like 2018 but to get more starters... Then I will be on the Ballard bandwagon entirely. That is the only thing holding me back. Can he still find talent anywhere on the board?

I have zero problems with his FA approach, and even applaud it.

Reich will have more toys to play with next year, and I expect him to play call like it. Last night the lack of a run game (Colts 8-1 with 100+ yards) was extremely short sighted and has me worried. Mack was ripping off yards at the end of the game. Even half of those gains would have been a respectable run game last night. Want to see him improve in this area next year hopefully.

The hero of the season IMO was Matt Eberflus. The most consistent unit on the team has been the defense. They showed time and time again they can make stops in the important moments. This defense played more than good enough last night to win this game. the offense has the ability to blow that KC defense out of the water. We could have easily handled the Cheifs. The COLTS defense made stops repeatedly against the best offense in the NFL.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, oldunclemark said:

I guess that's my question.  LCF.

Very few franchises go 10-6 every year but we truthfully didn't win anything.

Want to dominate  like the Patriots