Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

[PFF] How the Colts defense is thriving without elite talent

stitches

The NFL is 16 games of 1-week seasons. The fact that Eberflus has adapted along the way to blitz and teach his defenders to play stout coverage and run defense is remarkable. 

Only a few elite QBs can throw those Cover 2 beaters consistently, 3 of which are still around in the AFC (have been around forever it seems like) - Brady, Big Ben and Rivers. IF we make the playoffs this year, we will have to beat 2 of them at least to get to the SB. 

It has been a fun ride so far, hoping for the best outcomes the next 2 weeks!!! :) 

• Like 4

This is exactly what Ballard talked about doing before the season started:  Simplify everything and let the defense read-and-react so they can play fast.  :thmup:

It works great on indoor turf where speed kills.  But I'm nervous about a cold-weather outdoor road-game against Baltimore, Pittsburgh, or NE in the playoffs...  We've seen it before where a team just runs the ball, controls the clock, and doesn't give our offense a chance to do much.

Hopefully we can flip that script this year and run the ball behind BigQ, control the clock, and not give guys like Big Ben or Brady a chance to do anything.  :clover::colts::clover:

This is pretty awesome! Love the simplicity by Eberflus. It limits mistakes and is easy to understand. This will give anyone we draft on defense a better chance of being a hit, IMO, as the playbook won't be an intimidating factor coming into the league.

PLEASE let us keep Eberflus until we win a SB! :thmup:

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

This is exactly what Ballard talked about doing before the season started:  Simplify everything and let the defense read-and-react so they can play fast.  :thmup:

It works great on indoor turf where speed kills.  But I'm nervous about a cold-weather outdoor road-game against Baltimore, Pittsburgh, or NE in the playoffs...  We've seen it before where a team just runs the ball, controls the clock, and doesn't give our offense a chance to do much.

Hopefully we can flip that script this year and run the ball behind BigQ, control the clock, and not give guys like Big Ben or Brady a chance to do anything.  :clover::colts::clover:

1 what's the difference between indoor turf and outside turf?

2 what happened to the manning era colts doesn't mean a thing.  Those teams were traditionally porous vs the run.

13 hours ago, BOTT said:

1 what's the difference between indoor turf and outside turf?

2 what happened to the manning era colts doesn't mean a thing.  Those teams were traditionally porous vs the run.

1.  Who said "outside turf"?  You mean grass?

2.  Colts fans are emotionally scarred and haunted by outdoor playoff games of the past.  I'm scared.  Leave me alone.  :Cry:

23 minutes ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

1.  Who said "outside turf"?  You mean grass?

2.  Colts fans are emotionally scarred and haunted by outdoor playoff games of the past.  I'm scared.  Leave me alone.  :Cry:

You said speed kills on indoor turf. Half the league plays on turf including open air venues like foxboro.

2 minutes ago, BOTT said:

You said speed kills on indoor turf. Half the league plays on turf including open air venues like foxboro.

Even when the turf is the same stuff, the cold, snow, rain, and wind in December (and hopefully, in January!) are harder to adjust to. Still, with Reich & Company dialling it all up, I like our chances. And yes, even in Foxboro in January. 

Fully expect at least some push back, but Leonard is elite talent and that's a big part of why they're not a bottom feeder. Before long he's going to be considered as much of a game wrecker as Mack or Watt, if his progress holds. He's swatting balls away from elite receivers now.. 

Denico Autry is playing like an elite talent too, though it's just a nice stretch that's corresponding with the unit's success. 

Good post, but the title isn't.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Mayb we under value Hooker and the effect he is having  on the D?

Yup, which I didn't understand people who were downing him because he didn't have the flashy stats he had last year.  This defense either doesn't call for it or he doesn't allow it because of good play.  

On 12/21/2018 at 12:57 PM, Lucky Colts Fan said:

We stop the run better than we ever have... I would embrace that scenario to prove this is a different unit... especially right now. Get us in the playoffs with 2 more wins these last few weeks, and I would love to test this in NE. 

However, statstically, the indoor stadium roster build works in our favor. We will have 9 indoor turf games, minimum, every year with a road game against Houston and our home games. Odds are we have more like 10 or 11. That's just smart to be the best and fastest team in those conditions. As much as Pitt, NE, etc have an advantage at home, we will have one as well... Win 12-14 games, and you have that advantage. 

4 hours ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

We stop the run better than we ever have... I would embrace that scenario to prove this is a different unit... especially right now. Get us in the playoffs with 2 more wins these last few weeks, and I would love to test this in NE. 

However, statstically, the indoor stadium roster build works in our favor. We will have 9 indoor turf games, minimum, every year with a road game against Houston and our home games. Odds are we have more like 10 or 11. That's just smart to be the best and fastest team in those conditions. As much as Pitt, NE, etc have an advantage at home, we will have one as well... Win 12-14 games, and you have that advantage. 

Meh....I don't think playing indoors really provides much of an advantage.  

1 hour ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

It's not necessarily the indoors as it is the turf field, dry consistent weather. It is an advantage for a team that wants to play fast on defense and spread teams out on offense. Absolutely. 

you just described the vast majority of teams in the NFL.

33 minutes ago, BOTT said:

you just described the vast majority of teams in the NFL.

Many are, you are correct. The league is moving to fast paced, high scoring offenses and want speed on defense.

And those teams have an advantage at home in incliment weather how?

We have the advantage of playing a high paced, fast game that everyone is leaning towards indoors in perfect conditions 9 or 10 times every regular season. If it rains in Kansas City 5 of 8 home games, how is an indoor stadium for us not more of an advantage over KC's home field advantage? 

6 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

Many are, you are correct. The league is moving to fast paced, high scoring offenses and want speed on defense.

And those teams have an advantage at home in incliment weather how?

We have the advantage of playing a high paced, fast game that everyone is leaning towards indoors in perfect conditions 9 or 10 times every regular season. If it rains in Kansas City 5 of 8 home games, how is an indoor stadium for us not more of an advantage over KC's home field advantage? 

Not sure why you are pretending I said outdoor teams have an advantage in incliment weather. I did not.