Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Al Woods on Frank Reich

DaveA1102

Al Woods was asked by Zak Keefer what it is that has allowed Reich to turn the Colts from a 1-5 team to where they are now:

“At 1-5, he told us to stick with him,” said veteran nose tackle Al Woods. “It’s paying off, and the thing is: Frank is actually a really good dude. He’s a great (expletive) guy. That matters. Because you got too many coaches in this league who are snakes. He’s one of those guys were every single guy in this locker room wants to go out there and fight for him.

“That makes all the difference in the world,” Woods continued. “Some guys, dealing with coaches they don’t respect, will just say, ‘I’m gonna go out there get my check and move on.’ Not here. Every man in this locker room wants to fight for him. That is the difference.”

Link to the full article below:

https://eu.indystar.com/story/sports/nfl/colts/2018/12/16/indianapolis-colts-dominate-dallas-cowboys-23-0-and-closing-playoffs-game-score/2302086002/#/questions/

Ps. anyone think this quote was a dig at McDaniels:

"Because you got too many coaches in this league who are snakes. "

Whether it was or not, you have to love the way Reich has built this team and the way the roster is playing for him and their team mates.

• Like 8

1 minute ago, Hammer said:

Hehe...What do you think of Vinatieri's then?

I actually saw it yesterday. It made me shed a tear realizing how long he'd been around (in a good and bad way). I couldn't help but smile though realizing how much he'd accomplished and how much he'd helped the Colts in his career. If you're a wrestling fan, it's the feeling I get every time I see Ric Flair in a special appearance now. Sadness, with respect and happiness that he was around that long. Exactly how I feel about Venitari when I see that beard! :) 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I actually saw it yesterday. It made me shed a tear realizing how long he'd been around (in a good and bad way). I couldn't help but smile though realizing how much he'd accomplished and how much he'd helped the Colts in his career. If you're a wrestling fan, it's the feeling I get every time I see Ric Flair in a special appearance now. Sadness, with respect and happiness that he was around that long. Exactly how I feel about Venitari when I see that beard! :) 

I had lunch with Ric about a year ago...interesting guy.

• Like 1

Just now, Rally5 said:

Very jealous. I bet he had a lot of stories to tell about his NWA and WCW days. Would pay to have lunch with him and be able to talk to him about his career and the wrestling organization as a whole.

Just now, Jared Cisneros said:

Very jealous. I bet he had a lot of stories to tell about his NWA and WCW days. Would pay to have lunch with him and be able to talk to him about his career and the wrestling organization as a whole.

His conversations don't quite go like that, I will say he's overly generous and high energy given his age and condition.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Rally5 said:

His conversations don't quite go like that, I will say he's overly generous and high energy given his age and condition.

Glad to see he's still doing well. I know he recently got re-married and he's off the sauce, so hopefully he's doing better than he was. The greatest wrestler of all time IMO.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Glad to see he's still doing well. I know he recently got re-married and he's off the sauce, so hopefully he's doing better than he was. The greatest wrestler of all time IMO.

I was with him just before things went really bad.  He's made a big turn around!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Rally5 said:

I was with him just before things went really bad.  He's made a big turn around!

I remember he was in the hospital for a long time. Was scared to death he might die. So glad he's ok now. I starting watching wrestling in 1989 when I was 2 when Flair was in his prime. Saw him go to WWF and back to WCW. My parents had his old matches taped on VHS, so I was able to watch his 80s matches in the NWA before they were on youtube or the WWE network. Flair has so much charisma and personality that none of the wrestlers have today, not to mention his promo skills. I can only imagine the times he's had with the ladies! :) 

Not to belittle Ric Flair at all, but getting back to the subject...

Frank has done an amazing job getting this team rowing all in one direction.  Things seem to have improved immensely for the last 2/3 of the season.  Lots of credit goes to our GM, also.

Regarding the beard, I love it!   Having had one for 39 years myself certainly doesn't cloud my judgment. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Rally5 said:

Ric Flair got thrown out of a local bar/restaurant here like a year or two ago. From the sounds of it, he's a very disrespectful piece of crap. I wouldn't disagree about the high energy though, he's probably high on cocaine every day. lol

• Like 1

I really like Reich. I think dungy was a pretty good motivator who’s best skills were game planning and x’s and o’s, where pagano was the opposite. I think pagano was a good motivator and great cheer leader but not the best game planner. I feel like Reich is on the sweet center of both of those guys. He is a good enough motivator and is really smart when it comes to game planning. I really really like our staff and GM and honestly if the colts cAn some

how make the playoffs I think they might just shock the world. I mean at what point do you start wondering if it’s just meant to be?  The coaching fiasco, the luck injury and him coming back from that, the terrible start, the way our o line was a joke and now it’s our strength .....it almost seems like a movie and I really think the colts can beat anyone.  Our defense is good and we are starting to see that our offense is full of pretty good guys who are getting better. We are slowly building an offense of “pick your poison”. It’s not a team where one or

two receivers pick you apart but a team where 5 of them share the load and to me

that would be much much harder to defend and gameplan for.  I’m ecstatic with how this season has turned out and I’m so excited to see where this team can go in the future. This is the most optimistic I’ve been in the luck era, and maybe ever. We are in good hands. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, DaveA1102 said:

Al Woods was asked by Zak Keefer what it is that has allowed Reich to turn the Colts from a 1-5 team to where they are now:

Ps. anyone think this quote was a dig at McDaniels:

"Because you got too many coaches in this league who are snakes. "

I wonder how many NFL coaches Woods actually knows.

This is great to hear from one of our veterans.  I truly believe Reich was the reason we played so well yesterday.  That Dallas defense had been playing well and several times I saw confused looks on their faces.  Reich has faced them before when he was in Philly and obviously knew how to attack them.  Eberflus was probably also a big help in preparing our defense to go against them, too.