Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Anthony Walker Jr.

Dark Superman

I live in PA so I rarely get the chance to see the Colts televised much during the season. I'm curious to know what your guy's opinions are about Anthony Walker Jr as a started playing next to Darius Leonard. I don't hear too much about him but he seems to quietly having himself a solid year. I always liked the pick and thought Walker showed flashes of being a solid starter for us down the line when he was drafted. Do you think Walker is our starter of the future or someone you think we can make an upgrade over?

- Bill.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, ty4atd said:

He can be upgraded but it's not a high priority, like you said he's quietly having a pretty good season. Unless someone like Devin White slips to us in the draft or something similar, he'll be here for a while.

I was thinking the same. If White falls to us in the 1st, it'd be an interesting BPA decision for Ballard to make on draft day. We'd certainly have the top ILB core in football if that happened.

• Like 1

I really like Ant Walker. High football IQ, good in coverage, good form tackler. No need to replace him at all. Personally I'd only be looking to upgrade the depth behind Adams, Leonard, and Walker. And it doesn't have to be high draft picks either. I like Ballards way if finding blue chip athletic and personality traits on low round players. There are more guys like Adams out there to fill depth roles.

• Like 6

41 minutes ago, krunk said:

I really like Ant Walker. High football IQ, good in coverage, good form tackler. No need to replace him at all. Personally I'd only be looking to upgrade the depth behind Adams, Leonard, and Walker. And it doesn't have to be high draft picks either. I like Ballards way if finding blue chip athletic and personality traits on low round players. There are more guys like Adams out there to fill depth roles.

48 minutes ago, 1959Colts said:

I think Walker is beginning to look like a star LB in the making.

I was going to post something similar to these.  If it wasn't for Leonard, Walker would easily be the best LB on the Colts roster and the gap isn't that big between Leonard and Walker.  I don't know if Walker will ever produce the jaw dropping plays like Leonard (like filling the gap and punching the ball out of the ball carriers hand to force the game clinching fumble) but the guy is always around the ball, does not take false or wasted steps and gets the ball carrier to the ground when he gets there.  He is top 10 among LBers in TFL and that's pretty impressive considering the Colts play a base cover 2 type D.  The people ahead of him are Kuechley and then a bunch of OLBs for 3-4 teams... Like Miller, Chubb, TJ Watt

• Like 2

Walker is a field general. Makes the calls, but not always the play. Hes definitely in charge on defense. I think he would get more recognition if it wasnt for leonard, but leonard does always praise walker for Leonard's play on the field

• Like 1

3 hours ago, krunk said:

Really liking this Adams kid as well. He looks like a hulk running and hitting out there. I like his presence. He has to fix some holes in his game but he looks to hit like a semi at 100 mph hitting a deer on the highway.  We need to see more consistency out of several of our defensive players and someone who can get more pressure when using four on the line, that would be nice. I would also like another coverage corner who can affect a qb holding it a second longer. We need this next draft to be as big as the 2018 draft and this team will take off. 

7 hours ago, DarkSuperman said:

I live in PA so I rarely get the chance to see the Colts televised much during the season. I'm curious to know what your guy's opinions are about Anthony Walker Jr as a started playing next to Darius Leonard. I don't hear too much about him but he seems to quietly having himself a solid year. I always liked the pick and thought Walker showed flashes of being a solid starter for us down the line when he was drafted. Do you think Walker is our starter of the future or someone you think we can make an upgrade over?

- Bill.

Lowkey leader of the defense, flies around the field with his athleticism. Him and Leonard could both legitimately be captains next year. Needs to refine the coverage and clean up the missed tackles though, I would like to add another good LB this offseason but wonder if Ballard has it low on the priorities list.

Super solid player. As others have said, he is basically a rookie alongside another rookie, so it will be interesting to see what the Walker/Leonard combo becomes down the line. There are many, MANY more pressing needs on this roster than LB. If a stud LB drops to us in the first round, trade the pick the someone who desperately needs one and stockpile more picks.

I really like what Walker is bringing to the table.  He made an absolutely beautiful play yesterday on Hopkins, denying him a TD in the middle of the field- covered him really well near the goal line (over looked by Leonard's play on Hopkins).  He took some bad angles starting the year but has really grown and makes great plays now.

8 hours ago, ty4atd said:

He can be upgraded but it's not a high priority, like you said he's quietly having a pretty good season. Unless someone like Devin White slips to us in the draft or something similar, he'll be here for a while.

He will be here a while even if we find an upgrade that would just make him a solid backup.