Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Indy is a great place to visit!

Trace Pyott

Are you staying down town?  Parking is a nightmare but since we stayed downtown we just rented bikes from the little bike rack kiosk for like 3 bucks an hr and rode all around downtown or even better you can rent the little scooters and just drop it on the ground when you are done and someone else will rent it and use it when you are finished with it. It’s all done on your phone. Definitely visit the river. It’s amazing and so beautiful and relaxing. The zoo is free and the museum is pretty cool too. The  stadium, mall, zoo, museum, and all the best restaurants and nightlife are all located within a half mile from one another if not less. I think I might actually end up moving to Indy sometime once my daugther grows up.  I hope you have a good time and be safe!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Trace Pyott said:

This isn’t exactly colts related but I just wanted to say that me and my girlfriend went and stayed a few nights downtown literally 100yards from monument circle and it was one of the best times I’ve ever had. If anyone on here is thinking of visiting Indy I highly recommend it. I’m from Evansville and it’s crazy but I swear downtown Indy is cleaner than downtown Evansville. The only difference is I saw many many homeless people in Indy, something I must admit I’m not used to seeing. Btw funny story if anyone is near the monument you might want to steer clear of the candy and soda shop there because there is a really crazy homeless lady there that probably should be locked up. She’s always knitting something.  If you see her stay clear lol.  Me and my gf were walking and we were kinda looking up at thre buildings and she’s like are you guys lost?   I said no we are just looking around thank you. I noticed she was homeless so I said thank you anyways and gave her a few dollars. She then starts telling me how

her life sucks and how if someone kicks a dog consistently that there is only two outcomes.....the dog runs away or the dog bites back and she says to me and my gf “ and I’m about to bite back”. She then starts sobbing and telling us how she’s on the verge of stabbing someone because she can’t take it anymore and how she can sympathize with domestic terrorist. I kept saying yah I’m sorry you have to deal with that you will be in my prayers so we could walk away but she kept talking and I kid you not the more she talked the more agitated she got and I was starting to think she was going to attack us.  I bet she said the word domestic terrorism 4x that day .  So yah ,if you see a homeless lady with a giant bag full of sewing and knitting supplies steer clear of her. 

Back to Indy. There was so much to do downtown and so many good restaurants. The night scene was very cool too. The whole downtown felt alive. I’ve been to Cincinnati, St. Louis, Orlando Florida , Atlanta , and a few other cities and none had the nice downtown experience I had when I was in Indy and we didn’t even catch a game colts or pacers game. I really like how the mall is downtown as well. I wish Evansville would of adopted that idea. 

Also I must say that the people of Indy were super friendly. A few people saw us and knew we were kinda lost and offered to help.  The best way I can describe Indy and it’s people is that it’s a big city that doesn’t know

its a big city. The people are down to earth just like small town people.  Again I know this isn’t colts related I just wanted to write this in case someone is on the fence about coming to Indy to see a colts game. I can’t promise how the colts will do when you go watch them but I promise that the city itself is beautiful and full of things to do and experience but that’s just the opinion of a guy from Evansville Indiana so take that for what it’s worth. 

Indy is a great city, glad you had a good time. I have met that same lady right outside of the soda shop, although she usually seems content in her knitting and normally just shoots me a smile, or is busy talking to someone. Hope she’s just all talk and not really on the verge of snapping, that would be no bueno!

6 hours ago, Coltforlife said:

thanks coming up for a colts game next week will be our first time in indy looking forward to it.  colts fan in san antonio

Speaking of beautiful cities with a lot to do!!!! I’m from SA too! Live Indiana now, but I was born in SA and visit often, still got lots of family there. Go Spurs!!!!! 

6 hours ago, -JJ- said:

I agree. I went to an aviation convention a few years back.  Rain cancelled the air show so we went to that race car museum.

The big take away for me was how friendly folks were.

Indy is a big city with a small town feel.  Almost everybody in Indiana is friendly seems like.  

• Like 1

Lol yah  I live about a mile and half from garvins park so I know all about it. Are you from here too deadman?? You  are right there are some homeless here in Evansville but you don’t trip over them while walking on the sidewalk like i did in Indy. I walked maybe a square mile and saw probably 20 homeless people sleeping on the sidewalk.  It’s not suprising Indy is much bigger than Evansville and with that you will have more homeless people, I just had never seen so many before. I’m sure most big cities are much worse than Indy I’m just stating what I saw. Overall like I said Indy was way cleaner than Evansville as far trash and the river is no comparison. It was so much nicer.  

6 hours ago, HOZER said:

Indy is a great city, glad you had a good time. I have met that same lady right outside of the soda shop, although she usually seems content in her knitting and normally just shoots me a smile, or is busy talking to someone. Hope she’s just all talk and not really on the verge of snapping, that would be no bueno!

Omg  no way you have seen here there too?  Yah I felt really bad for her I think she prob has had a horrible life and god knows what it’s Iike being a homeless woman. She probably just needed someone to talk to.  Btw thst soda shop was sooooo cool. I got a few souvenirs for my family. I got a bacon flavored soda, and a few other weird flavors. I wish we had a place here like that. I forget the Italian restaurant we ate at , it was a franchise I’ve never heard of. When we went in the prices were super expensive until the lady told me that it was family style so one 30.00 order served 5 people. It was soooooooooo good. I swear if I could; I would drive there just for the ravioli. 

• Like 1

You want to see homelessness, go to San Francisco, especially the Union Square area and the Tenderloin.

As for ai day, my first trip was there was in 2005 to see the Colts at the noisy, but dated RCA Hoosier Dome.  Monument Circle area was good, but it seemed like a really limited downtown area.  I was actually kind of disappointed.  

My next visit and Colts game was in 2015 to see the Colts at Lucas Oil.  Wow, what a fantastic transformation of downtown!  Only a decade later, the downtown area has been reborn and seemed vibrant and exciting.  Loved it and can’t wait for my next visit!

• Like 1

Indy is nice and I had no problem walking around at night.  First time I visited Indy was during Basic Training at Ft. Knox then many years later my first game at the Lucas!  Been there the last 6 years once/twice a year for a games.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, rockywoj said:

You want to see homelessness, go to San Francisco, especially the Union Square area and the Tenderloin.

As for ai day, my first trip was there was in 2005 to see the Colts at the noisy, but dated RCA Hoosier Dome.  Monument Circle area was good, but it seemed like a really limited downtown area.  I was actually kind of disappointed.  

My next visit and Colts game was in 2015 to see the Colts at Lucas Oil.  Wow, what a fantastic transformation of downtown!  Only a decade later, the downtown area has been reborn and seemed vibrant and exciting.  Loved it and can’t wait for my next visit!

You know that’s funny you mentioned it being boring and dead in 2005. My other 4 trips to see games (I didn’t stay) but I always felt downtown seemed kinda industrial and totally dead. I barely saw anyone walking around the streets except after the game and before. Now granted it was a Sunday but still.  It was so dead when my girlfriend had the idea to have a weekend in Indy I really wasn’t excited. I told her it’s kinda boring down there. I was totally wrong. They must really have improved their tourist industry because almost everyone I spoke to was from somewhere else. I met people from Chicago and even Africa. As far as San Fran’s homeless prob I hear it’s a total dump no pun intended. They actually developed an app to tell you where all the human feces is located because it’s so prevalent and so you could avoid it.   Like I said I’m sure Indy isn’t as bad as most big cities as far as that problem goes I was just not used to seeing it as prevalent having come from a medium sized city. Oh I almost forgot. We  were walking kind of near the colts stadium and this lady came out to close this old Catholic Church. She saw us looking in the door and she asked if we wanted to look inside so we did. I’m not sure the name but it’s the oldest Catholic Church in Indy. Omg!!  It was the most beautiful place I’ve ever been in my life.  I’m not really religious but I swear if any place felt holy it was that place. They had like 100 candles lit and it smelled of incense. It was freaking magical I swear.  It was absolutely silent in that old church.  I walked away confused though lol. If the lady was leaving who was going to blow those candles out?  I mean there had to be 100 lit candles in that place lol. I’m no fire marshall but that has to be dangerous right??  I’m not catholic so I’m probably missing some reason they do that but it was one of the coolest places I’ve ever seen. The lady was super friendly as well. 

4 minutes ago, Trace Pyott said:

Hmmm the website said it was. There were some things that cost money but it said the entrance was free. 

Wish it was.  Perhaps you were looking info for 'members' https://www.indianapoliszoo.com/memberships/

General admission price varies depending on the day

https://indyzoo.doubleknot.com/online-store/ticket/ticket

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Nadine said:

Wish it was.  Perhaps you were looking info for 'members' https://www.indianapoliszoo.com/memberships/

General admission price varies depending on the day

https://indyzoo.doubleknot.com/online-store/ticket/ticket

I’m glad you clarified because I was about to go get refunded hundreds of dollars, lol!  I know the St. Louis zoo is free as is there museum I think never been but considered going for a  weekend trip .

7 hours ago, Trace Pyott said:

Omg  no way you have seen here there too?  Yah I felt really bad for her I think she prob has had a horrible life and god knows what it’s Iike being a homeless woman. She probably just needed someone to talk to.  Btw thst soda shop was sooooo cool. I got a few souvenirs for my family. I got a bacon flavored soda, and a few other weird flavors. I wish we had a place here like that. I forget the Italian restaurant we ate at , it was a franchise I’ve never heard of. When we went in the prices were super expensive until the lady told me that it was family style so one 30.00 order served 5 people. It was soooooooooo good. I swear if I could; I would drive there just for the ravioli. 

Oh yeah shes a regular down there ,  I’ve seen her quite a bit.  Pretty sure the restaurant you’re talking about is Buca di Beppo,  One of our favorite  Italian places to eat!  Did you walk through the kitchen to get into the dining area?  If so that’s the place.  It is expensive until you consider that two people can eat off of one entrée and still not finish it unless you’re a big eater.  I love all the pictures and decorations on the walls,  very entertaining. 

36 minutes ago, HOZER said:

Oh yeah shes a regular down there ,  I’ve seen her quite a bit.  Pretty sure the restaurant you’re talking about is Buca di Beppo,  One of our favorite  Italian places to eat!  Did you walk through the kitchen to get into the dining area?  If so that’s the place.  It is expensive until you consider that two people can eat off of one entrée and still not finish it unless you’re a big eater.  I love all the pictures and decorations on the walls,  very entertaining. 

That poor lady sounds miserable, I probably would slip her a 10 spot so she could at least get a big soda and a great sandwich from somewhere. I am a softy when it comes to stuff like that. I am surprised Trace didn't eat at St Elmo, that was tradition for me and the 3 other guys I used to go to games with every year during the Manning era and the 1st couple years of Luck's career. We would all go to 2 games a year and then eat St Elmo afterwords. Done that for 15 years straight. Get the Shrimp, a huge Steak, and a Bake Potato with Butter and Sour Cream. Great stuff!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, rockywoj said:

3 hours ago, Trace Pyott said:

As far as San Fran’s homeless prob I hear it’s a total dump no pun intended. They actually developed an app to tell you where all the human feces is located because it’s so prevalent and so you could avoid it.  

Sounds much worse than NYC.

28 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

That poor lady sounds miserable, I probably would slip her a 10 spot so she could at least get a big soda and a great sandwich from somewhere.

Same here. Rather than avoid her, I would want to meet her. 

23 hours ago, Trace Pyott said:

If anyone on here is thinking of visiting Indy I highly recommend it.

That is good to know. I hope to visit some day.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yeah West coast doesn't get the same winters that will kill people if they stay outside. With proper clothing, being homeless on the coast isn't as risky weather wise. Here in Calgary, our homeless population disappears off the streets at some points in the winter.

I'm surprised you didn't go on IR from your visit.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, braveheartcolt said:

Good decision not to wear your Brady jersey right enough........

Easy because I don't even wear jerseys at home. It's against my independence.

Too bad it rained. I was looking forward to seeing a spitfire fly.

On 10/15/2018 at 9:22 AM, Trace Pyott said:

This isn’t exactly colts related but I just wanted to say that me and my girlfriend went and stayed a few nights downtown literally 100yards from monument circle and it was one of the best times I’ve ever had. If anyone on here is thinking of visiting Indy I highly recommend it. I’m from Evansville and it’s crazy but I swear downtown Indy is cleaner than downtown Evansville. The only difference is I saw many many homeless people in Indy, something I must admit I’m not used to seeing. Btw funny story if anyone is near the monument you might want to steer clear of the candy and soda shop there because there is a really crazy homeless lady there that probably should be locked up. She’s always knitting something.  If you see her stay clear lol.  Me and my gf were walking and we were kinda looking up at thre buildings and she’s like are you guys lost?   I said no we are just looking around thank you. I noticed she was homeless so I said thank you anyways and gave her a few dollars. She then starts telling me how

her life sucks and how if someone kicks a dog consistently that there is only two outcomes.....the dog runs away or the dog bites back and she says to me and my gf “ and I’m about to bite back”. She then starts sobbing and telling us how she’s on the verge of stabbing someone because she can’t take it anymore and how she can sympathize with domestic terrorist. I kept saying yah I’m sorry you have to deal with that you will be in my prayers so we could walk away but she kept talking and I kid you not the more she talked the more agitated she got and I was starting to think she was going to attack us.  I bet she said the word domestic terrorism 4x that day .  So yah ,if you see a homeless lady with a giant bag full of sewing and knitting supplies steer clear of her. 

Back to Indy. There was so much to do downtown and so many good restaurants. The night scene was very cool too. The whole downtown felt alive. I’ve been to Cincinnati, St. Louis, Orlando Florida , Atlanta , and a few other cities and none had the nice downtown experience I had when I was in Indy and we didn’t even catch a game colts or pacers game. I really like how the mall is downtown as well. I wish Evansville would of adopted that idea. 

Also I must say that the people of Indy were super friendly. A few people saw us and knew we were kinda lost and offered to help.  The best way I can describe Indy and it’s people is that it’s a big city that doesn’t know

its a big city. The people are down to earth just like small town people.  Again I know this isn’t colts related I just wanted to write this in case someone is on the fence about coming to Indy to see a colts game. I can’t promise how the colts will do when you go watch them but I promise that the city itself is beautiful and full of things to do and experience but that’s just the opinion of a guy from Evansville Indiana so take that for what it’s worth. 

Geeze, how do you type that much

37 minutes ago, il vecchio said:

Could be because the wealth gap keeps growing and is the greatest it has been in my lifetime, and I'm in my 60s.

Yeah I didn't want to get into politics or the economy on a football site, but it's definitely a reason I'm sure.

I'm on the east coast and I've definitely noticed the big city I work in has more VISIBLE homelessness. I'm sure they were always there, but you rarely saw them. Now I'm dodging them daily on my way to work while walking along with seeing them sleeping in trains way more often the last few years.