Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Your Views (Rating) for the current Colts team

MikeCurtis

7 hours ago, krunk said:

Need to be able to run the football. Gigantic issue.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/10/05/frank-reich-is-concerned-that-andrew-lucks-passing-numbers-cant-be-sustained/

#2 We need improvents at WR. And we need to make more use of our Tight ends in the passing game. Not just Ebron, but Swoope and Doyle. Those are our biggest mismatch pieces.

C'mon Krunk....... Give Deano a Number rating :)

6 hours ago, krunk said:

Over this weekend and all throughout the week they need to really be analyzing what they can do from a personnel standpoint and a scheme standpoint to get this running game to make an impact.  No excuse for having this pedestrian of a running attack.  We have to be able to lean on the running game.  It makes the offense that much more deadly and it helps the defense.  I like Wilkins as an inside runner being used very similar to how we've used Gore in the past.  The key with him is he isn't a run here, run there type of back.  You've got to feed that guy some.  I also think we need some more runs to the outside with guys like Mack(whenever he gets back) and Hines.  I also want to get a good look at Jonathan Williams.  I just feel like he's going to fit in what we do and I like the skillset, the speed and the size. And of course there is Robert Turbin.  We have to get a much tougher presence out there with this running game.  It's just imperative we get it done.  If we are able to do that I think we are going to go some places. 

I've always considered you a pretty decent poster, with decent knowledge about football. The biggest flaw with what you want to do is this.  Our running game will end up being negative yardage by end of season.  You're saying, Run Wilkin's a LOT more up the middle, then take him out and put Hines/Mack in to run outside?  You do see the issue here right?

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Lawrence Owen said:

I've always considered you a pretty decent poster, with decent knowledge about football. The biggest flaw with what you want to do is this.  Our running game will end up being negative yardage by end of season.  You're saying, Run Wilkin's a LOT more up the middle, then take him out and put Hines/Mack in to run outside?  You do see the issue here right?

Not really because all I'm really saying is I'd like to see each guy do more of what they are good at. It doesn't mean you eliminate the other stuff because of course we'd be too predictable. It doesn't mean you put Mack in and immediately run outside. Same goes for Hines. Wilkins is a multiple carry guy to me so I think he should get what accentuates his skill set at some point in the game. Mack should run inside but there should be more outside runs to accentuate what he does best.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, krunk said:

Not really because all I'm really saying is I'd like to see each guy do more of what they are good at. It doesn't mean you eliminate the other stuff because of course we'd be too predictable. It doesn't mean you put Mack in and immediately run outside. Same goes for Hines. Wilkins is a multiple carry guy to me so I think he should get what accentuates his skill set at some point in the game. Mack should run inside but there should be more outside runs to accentuate what he does best.

I Agree with you assessments of the RB's skill sets.  I honestly think Wilkins and Mack should split carries evenly.  Mainly because of the difference of styles.  Hines on the other hand I don't think should be even considered with running snaps.  Not that he shouldn't run the ball occasionally, just that he should not be considered in  the RB snap count. let me explain, and see if you follow and agree/disagree.

Hines should be in the 3rd WR snap count.  Not always lining up as a wr though. Many times lining up as a 2nd RB.  This way, no defense can zone in on who, what, where. If it is a run play, Luck can decide which way to go depending on the defense he see's and which RB is with Hines.  If it is a pass, Hines has already shown how efficient he is in this dept. I've thought having Mack/Wilking with Hines in a 'T' formation. QB option, Mack/ Wilkins run option one direction, Hines on a sweep screen the other.  Plays like this would maximize our players potentials, while keeping defenses guessing. 

Being our WR corps are not exceptional to say the least, I believe Hines would work great in this type of role.

21 hours ago, MikeCurtis said:

1 - Bad/worst

2 - Average 

3 - Good

4 - Great

5- Elite

I think these are way too many categories to put a team into. In the NFL there are 5 to 7 contenders, 3 to 5 very bad teams, and the rest falls into the same - average - category, and it changes week by week where you put them within that category. Sometimes a team falls out or jumps up a category, but mostly they move within. If we have the "Great" category, then right now there is only one team I would put into the Elite category. It's the Rams. The rest of the contenders will go into the Great. So I merge Great and Elite and merge Average and Good, and having

1. Bad / Worst

2. Average / Good

3. Great / Elite

I would put the Colts:

1, talent wise somewhere in the bottom of Average/Good with the potential to move up a bit by the end of the season

2, experience / production wise so far in the top of bad/worst with the potential to jump a category

3 coaching & gm wise in the top of average / good with potentially either fall back into the middle of the pack, but also potentially jump up a category and be great / elite. The jury is out.

• Like 1

I would definitely say 2.  We're not bad, but we're not good.  We can win games, but we can also lose them.  We have a shot to be majority of the teams in the NFL.  But will we beat them...most likely not.  Our record will not reflect us.  We were in place to win all but 1 of our games.  Do I think this team is overachieving?  Yes.  I can see us ending at 7-9, 8-8, or 6-10.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Peterk2011 said:

I think these are way too many categories to put a team into. In the NFL there are 5 to 7 contenders, 3 to 5 very bad teams, and the rest falls into the same - average - category, and it changes week by week where you put them within that category. Sometimes a team falls out or jumps up a category, but mostly they move within. If we have the "Great" category, then right now there is only one team I would put into the Elite category. It's the Rams. The rest of the contenders will go into the Great. So I merge Great and Elite and merge Average and Good, and having

1. Bad / Worst

2. Average / Good

3. Great / Elite

I would put the Colts:

1, talent wise somewhere in the bottom of Average/Good with the potential to move up a bit by the end of the season

2, experience / production wise so far in the top of bad/worst with the potential to jump a category

3 coaching & gm wise in the top of average / good with potentially either fall back into the middle of the pack, but also potentially jump up a category and be great / elite. The jury is out.

Sorry

Im old and delirious....  :)

I am only a decade or so away from DEPENDS  !!!

I agree with you, but wanted to get an overall view of how people view the team

There is always sub "ratings"   

• Like 1

On 10/6/2018 at 10:31 AM, rock8591 said:

I wouldn't mind if we just went to 3 TEs on every play going forward. A lineup like this.

Castonzo-Nelson-Kelly-Slauson-Clark (or Smith)

Doyle, Ebron, Swoope

Wilkins

Hilton

You got 3 TEs, 1 RB, 1 WR...but all 3 TEs can catch. And would help a ton in the running game.

Now that would be a unique offense. I’d honestly like to see something like this

2 minutes ago, ColtsBlitz said:

Now that would be a unique offense. I’d honestly like to see something like this

just convert swoope to a wide receiver.  he would be one of the biggest WRs ever, but its not like we use him for blocking anyway 

2.5  or if you need a round number I would go back to 2. Too many question marks, very very young team, lots of missing pieces, a brand new coaching staff including a first-time head coach and the difficulty of our schedule. All bode very poorly for the team. I do see potential and the possibility for a much higher ranking but as for right now, that's where I see it

Colts are exactly what their record says they are....a bad team. They lack depth and injuries have decimated the lineup lately.  I firmly believe they will become healthier and young players will improve with more experience. Very well could be this year as the season goes on. However, as of the way the team stands now, they are bad.  I still love the Colts and think they will be contenders to win the division in a couple years and SB contenders in 3-4 years. 

What we are currently putting on the field would be a 1 that is being coached up.
We do need a better running game while remembering that our short, quick hitting passing game is really an extension of the run game.
Andrew to Hines is 29 of 35 83%  at 5.7 yds per.  Pretty trusty tool 5 games in. 

On 10/6/2018 at 10:58 AM, DrWhom said:

Given the wide variation in talent on this team, I think that it only makes sense to sub-divide the scoring into a more detailed breakdown. For example:

QB: 4

RB: 1.5

WR: 1.5

TE: 3.5

OL: 1.5

DL: 2.5

DE: 2.5

LB: 2.5

CB: 1.5

S: 1.5

ST: 3.5

I held back on explanations, but I think you get what I mean. This allows us not only to grade the team overall, but also to identify where we need help (IMO, that's RB, WR, OL, CB and S). Anything under 2.5 say, and we need to address this position...

What do you think?

I like this idea of breaking each position into sub categories, so let me give it a shot.

QB - 4

Luck is rounding back into form. He’s throwing the ball deep more, but in order for him to reach that next gear, he needs support.

RB - 1.5 

There’s talent, but they gotta get healthy and stay healthy. On their own, Hines, Wilkins, Turbin and Mack don’t scare anybody. But as a group? They can be quite good.

Oline - 2

The sacks are down, but the run game is still non existent. Desperately need AC back. Tackle play is not good right now.

WR - 1

We got 1 good wr and everyone else has the yips. Maybe a little harsh but they need to hold on to the dang ball

TE - 3.5

Doyle and Ebron perfectly compliment each other. Just need Doyle to come back, especially with the weak wr core 

Dline 3

Been creating pressure and getting to the QB, but I still think we need that one elite game breaker on the line.

LB 3

Leonard is a beast and Walker is excellent too. Needs some depth though. 

CB 1.5

Not the biggest need in a cover 2 style Defense, but the corner play still needs to improve. Even when they are healthy.

S - 2 

IMO the biggest disappointment this season. Thought they’d be a strength, but the Hooker Geathers tandem has been average at best. To be fair, both coming off injuries and should get better as the season rolls on, but they need to make some more plays back there (Malik is due for a pick). 

Overall that’s 21.5/45 or a 2.3, so average. That’s about where I’d put our team. Hopefully by the end of the year that gets closer to a 3. 

• Like 2

On 10/7/2018 at 1:47 PM, MikeCurtis said:

Sorry

Im old and delirious....  :)

I am only a decade or so away from DEPENDS  !!!

I agree with you, but wanted to get an overall view of how people view the team

There is always sub "ratings"   

You are right, I should've added "way too many for giving a single rating". :) At least for me it is. But hey, at least something gets us involved and thinking, so thanks for opening the thread. ;)

• Like 1