Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Slot WR?

Tombstone

I hear that Cain is having a great camp.  Also hearing Rogers is also.  Where is Cain making his mark at practice.  The reason I ask because I believe Rogers and of course TY will line up outside.  That leaves Cain and Grant for the slot position.  As great as Cain is doing so far, Can he be a starting  slot guy or we he spell Rogers for some catches.  

12 minutes ago, Tombstone said:

I hear that Cain is having a great camp.  Also hearing Rogers is also.  Where is Cain making his mark at practice.  The reason I ask because I believe Rogers and of course TY will line up outside.  That leaves Cain and Grant for the slot position.  As great as Cain is doing so far, Can he be a starting  slot guy or we he spell Rogers for some catches.  

Actually.. no.

ballard and Reich have both been quoted as saying the two receivers that have stood out the most to them this camp have been TY and Grant. Venturi and JMV both confirmed that as well. TY even pointed to Grant as the number 2 in his interview as well.

Sounds like the Depth chart is looking to be

TY

Grant

Cain/Rogers 

Rogers/Cain

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, VaAllDay757 said:

Yeah looking like grant is locking up that #2 spot and rodgers and cain are fighting for the #3 spot

Rogers and cain?are more explosive playmakers than grant but grant has the edge because of downfield blocking on running plays as the the coaches said there is more to wr than catching

5 minutes ago, Stephen said:

Rogers and cain?are more explosive playmakers than grant but grant has the edge because of downfield blocking on running plays as the the coaches said there is more to wr than catching

There's that but there's also the fact it's being reported the dude has caught pretty everything thrown at him, even tight coverage balls and his routes are top notch. He's not flashy but he's sure handed. That's something the colts haven't had since Reggie

• Like 3

2 hours ago, csmopar said:

There's that but there's also the fact it's being reported the dude has caught pretty everything thrown at him, even tight coverage balls and his routes are top notch. He's not flashy but he's sure handed. That's something the colts haven't had since Reggie

I saw a report on stampede blue that said he had alot of drops and they weren't impressed. Then this week its the exact opposite lol.

4 hours ago, Tombstone said:

I don't think there will be a traditional slot receiver. I thought I read somewhere that they were moving the receivers around for mismatches. The Eagles offense last last utilised many different receivers lined up in various positions. 

I think Rodgers is a slot WR. Cain has the size, speed, and vertical ability to be an outside receiver. T.Y. Is the only receiver with a clear ranking as the number 1. After that I’m not sure if there’s a true 2 or 3 yet, as they’ll all be utilized in different ways.

On 8/7/2018 at 8:59 PM, TonyBungee said:

With Doyle & Ebron likely to play together at least part of the time, what % of plays do you think will feature a slot WR?

Quite a bit.  I think that is one reason why they signed Grant and Ebron.  You can split Ebron out wide and bring either Grant or TY into the slot position.

With TY, Doyle, Grant and Ebron the Colts have quite a few formation options with that personnel.

• Like 1

This question is more of a depth chart question than a slot question. TY is undoubtably the #1, yet he will be utilized in the slot a ton, so the 2 and 3 receivers will be lined up outside a lot, that meaning Cain, Grant, and Rogers all will have to be able to move around. Grant will likely be holding onto an outside spot, so that leaves the question between Cain and Rogers as to who can play both positions overall at a higher level.

The thing is with the so many variations teams line up in offensive plays is there really any receivers, TEs or even RBs that are slated as a slot receiver or any other positions?

Receivers line up all over the field and that includes TEs and RBs.

The offensive coordinators are always looking at moving receivers at different positions to confuse defenses. 

Some of the stuff I’ve seen says Grant has been really good and will probably be the number two.  I think Rogers has the inside track to be the slot WR but Cain is going to be on his heels if he doesn’t produce.

i also think you are going to see less three wide from the Colts this year or if they do it will be a RB or TE in the slot.

Early on, I expect to see vets in the starting lineup. Rookies will get PT in rotations. They've practiced a bunch of stacked formations, so we should see various combos to create match-up advantages.  Pre-season however, might be very vanilla for good reasons.