Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Biggest Turning Points In A Colts Season or Game?

tucky89

Could be good or bad:

For example, in 2006 the defense was atrocious for the final month of the season. Sanders returned for the postseason. The rest was history.

Sadly, the death of Dungy's son in 2005 really had an impact. They never looked the same ( Rightfully so too) after that.

Another example: Colts are up 10-0 in SB XLIV. On third down ( I think it was third down) Garcon drops a pass that likely would've lead to six. Saints get the ball back, and end up doing damage.

It also goes without saying how big the Hank Bask onside kick thing was.

What are yours?

1 minute ago, tucky89 said:

Could be good or bad:

For example, in 2006 the defense was atrocious for the final month of the season. Sanders returned for the postseason. The rest was history.

Sadly, the death of Dungy's son in 2005 really had an impact. They never looked the same ( Rightfully so too) after that.

Another example: Colts are up 10-0 in SB XLIV. On third down ( I think it was third down) Garcon drops a pass that likely would've lead to six. Saints get the ball back, and end up doing damage.

It also goes without saying how big the Hank Bask onside kick thing was.

What are yours?

Colts were up 10-3 when Garvin dropped that pass. My apologies

Tough to choose, but if I look at the positives, I could pick moments from the 06 AFC championship game, the 09 Pats game, or the Chiefs playoff comeback.

Unfortunately, one that stands out to me was the 09 Jets game when they took Peyton out for Painter.  Ugh.  I was at that cold, dark game.  

31 minutes ago, Four2itus said:

Luck grabbing the loose ball and pile driving into the end zone against KC. We were so far behind. 

Wasn't it Donald Brown that fumbled to start that play? I have to go back and see if it was another case of "G.. d@@@ you Donald" but Luck did not have time for that, he just picked up the ball, got the TD and probably muttered it inside. :) 

If it was Luck in the SB, he picks up his own fumble, unlike what Cam Newton did. 

44 minutes ago, Four2itus said:

Luck grabbing the loose ball and pile driving into the end zone against KC. We were so far behind. 

That was was a pivotal part of that game, but the turning point was absolutely Mathis strip sack of Alex Smith to start the comeback. Remember watching that game at my best friends family reunion. Heard how much we suck the whole first half up until that moment. 

I'm going to go with the 2006 AFCCG.  Most people will point to Addai's TD and that was the game winning but the turning point happened in the first half.

Manning got INT and it was returned for a TD to put the Pats up 21-3.  There was just a couple of minutes left in the half.  It was devastating, even the announcers started talking about the Patriot curse and how they just had the Colts number.  Manning and Co. came out and marched down the field and got a FG just before halftime to make it a 21-6 game.  I told my wife right then the Colts were going to come back.  I wasn't sure if they would win but I knew they were going to make a game of it.  The Colts got the ball to start the 2nd half and scored a TD, so now it was a 21-13 game and the rest is history.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, tucky89 said:

Could be good or bad:

So many people give credit for the Colts run d improvement to Sanders and he played a part but as large a part, if not larger, was Rob Morris taking over the SAM position over Gilbert Gardner.  Morris took over the SAM in week 14 and it took him a couple of games to understand his role and how to play the position and once he did he was a monster at that position throughout the playoffs.  He pretty much shut down any runs being cut back to his side or bouncing to the outside on his side.

• Like 1

Lots of games...obviously the drive at the end of the half against the Pats to get us a fg was big in that AFC Championship game to turn momentum.

Biggest in a season to me was Pagano going down with Cancer in Lucks rookie season. Once Arians took over we took off! It was huge rallying cry plus it was a huge advantage in leadership and decision making having Arians running the team....then Pagano came back and we lost to Baltimore.

2 hours ago, Kenny said:

That was was a pivotal part of that game, but the turning point was absolutely Mathis strip sack of Alex Smith to start the comeback. Remember watching that game at my best friends family reunion. Heard how much we suck the whole first half up until that moment. 

So many things happened in the second half of that game.....to me it was mostly the injuries to KC that added up....first Charles, then Avery, then Flowers, then Kniles Davis, then Houston....I mean they were running out water boys by the end of the game....they had nothing left despite Smith's heroics.

• Like 1

Terrance Wilkins stepping out of bounds by 1/2” during a punt return in the 1999 playoffs against Tennessee:

4th quarter , Colts down, Wilkins (I loved the way he ran), receives a punt and runs it back to the one, only to have it called back. 

I’ve always wondered what the Colts’ legacy would have been if they would have won their first playoff game. 

11 hours ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

Don't remember the year but when we traded for the great Eric Dickerson during season. Turned our season into a playoff birth.

1987, we went from 3-13 to 9-6 winning the AFC East. The Pats and Dolphins both were really Good that season too. Yeah that was a huge moment in Colts history. 

• Like 1

The Worst = Onside Kick in SB 44, if we get that I believe we roll and win the SB. Peyton would've had great field position up 10-6, if we go up 17-6, game over. Instead the Saints get that and take a 13-10 lead. That was a 14 point swing.

The Best = I would probably say Kelvin Hayden's INT in SB 41 for a TD. Because until that happened the Bears were only down 22-17 and had the ball. We had outplayed them all game and they still had a chance to take the lead on us in the 4th Qtr. I was nervous up until that INT. That sealed SB 41.