Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

It's Draft Day!! (f/k/a Draft Day Eve)

Barry Sears

I realize that this is the silliest 'sporting event' of the year.  Sitting around, waiting for names to be announced.  You'd think that would make golf on TV seem exciting.

Yet, I'm riveted every year.  I DVR both the NFL Channel and ESPN so I can hear each take on the Colts picks.  I will probably have YouTube up so I can catch the StampedeBlue live broadcast to hear their takes.

I have family plans Saturday afternoon so I'm DVRing the draft on both channels and will try to avoid all notices so I can be 'surprised' by the picks.

Yes...I need to get a life...

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I know this. I am staying off the forum until the Colt's pick. Don't want it ruint like it has been in years past where users have some faster feed than the Television and were posting selections minutes before the TV caught up.  @Nadine and the others did a pretty good job last year with that though.

3 minutes ago, csmopar said:

I know this. I am staying off the forum until the Colt's pick. Don't want it ruint like it has been in years past where users have some faster feed than the Television and were posting selections minutes before the TV caught up.  @Nadine and the others did a pretty good job last year with that though.

There needs to be a perma-ban from the chat if anyone spoils the Colts first round pick early. That is unacceptable. 

• Like 3

I've always loved the draft. I have no idea why, but I do. I've watched it since I was a kid. In fact, the first one I watched was when Bill Tobin and Mel Kiper had their tussle. I tried explaining it to my wife but she still can't grasp the concept of enjoying watching teams pick players. To me it's more than just picking players, it's seeing how your team improves as well as other teams, especially your division rivals. I do wish it was the old format of rounds 1-3 on Saturday and rounds 4-7 on Sunday, but that's just me.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

There needs to be a perma-ban from the chat if anyone spoils the Colts first round pick early. That is unacceptable. 

I would love for everyone to see it at the same time, but how??  Some feeds are just faster than others - even if we're watching the same channel.  If we could figure out the timing issue I'm sure many more people would cooperate.

I think...??

If anyone has a suggestion it should be said quick so we can all comply.

My .02.

Just now, MB-ColtsFan said:

I would love for everyone to see it at the same time, but how??  Some feeds are just faster than others - even if we're watching the same channel.  If we could figure out the timing issue I'm sure many more people would cooperate.

I think...??

If anyone has a suggestion it should be said quick so we can all comply.

My .02.

Here's my opinion on this. If someone spoils a pick 5-10 seconds before the pick as the commish is announcing it, that's fine. Their feed is just faster. However, if they spoil the pick 3-5 minutes before the pick as twitter is spoiling it, that's a perma-ban. In my eyes, that's fair. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Here's my opinion on this. If someone spoils a pick 5-10 seconds before the pick as the commish is announcing it, that's fine. Their feed is just faster. However, if they spoil the pick 3-5 minutes before the pick as twitter is spoiling it, that's a perma-ban. In my eyes, that's fair. 

A couple of minutes...wow, that's REALLY unfair.  I only remember seeing a 30 second or so gap, but maybe the chat is different from the thread.  That's a LOT of time before the televised pick.

16 minutes ago, sracolts84 said:

I've always loved the draft. I have no idea why, but I do. I've watched it since I was a kid. In fact, the first one I watched was when Bill Tobin and Mel Kiper had their tussle. I tried explaining it to my wife but she still can't grasp the concept of enjoying watching teams pick players. To me it's more than just picking players, it's seeing how your team improves as well as other teams, especially your division rivals. I do wish it was the old format of rounds 1-3 on Saturday and rounds 4-7 on Sunday, but that's just me.

Obviously there is something more intriguing about the NFL draft than just teams picking players, as evidenced by the build-up, hype, & amount of mock drafting going on this time of the year...

For some fans like myself who don't/doesn't watch alot of college ball it is also just simply a condensed "cliff note version" way of learning about the incoming rookie class...

2 minutes ago, MB-ColtsFan said:

A couple of minutes...wow, that's REALLY unfair.  I only remember seeing a 30 second or so gap, but maybe the chat is different from the thread.  That's a LOT of time before the televised pick.

Honestly, no one should really shout it out until it happens on their tv. A lot of us here like the genuine experience of hearing it announced on tv and being excited rather than a random person saying Colts got so and so 5 minutes early. This is just me, but I don't want to have to be afraid to look at the chat until after our pick for a 10 minute period because someone may spoil it. That ruins the chat experience as we are discussing possibilities at our pick, but I have to choose between that or seeing a spoiler and it's unfortunate.

• Thanks 1

I don't think it's possible to control anything and stop anyone from posting something before it's on TV.

So, I'll just watch TV and stay off the internet.  I can then experience it without any spoilers.

I'll be able to read feedback and opinions later.

Question - Do you prefer the ESPN or NFL Network coverage?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Barry Sears said:

I don't think it's possible to control anything and stop anyone from posting something before it's on TV.

So, I'll just watch TV and stay off the internet.  I can then experience it without any spoilers.

I liked ESPN with Jon Gruden, but without him, go NFL Network, no question.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Honestly, no one should really shout it out until it happens on their tv. A lot of us here like the genuine experience of hearing it announced on tv and being excited rather than a random person saying Colts got so and so 5 minutes early. This is just me, but I don't want to have to be afraid to look at the chat until after our pick for a 10 minute period because someone may spoil it. That ruins the chat experience as we are discussing possibilities at our pick, but I have to choose between that or seeing a spoiler and it's unfortunate.

Maybe all reactions to the pick should wait until after the mod announces the pick?  That's one way of throttling back the spoilers.  Anyone who doesn't comply gets a ban for the night.

3 minutes ago, Barry Sears said:

Agree with Jared, NFL Network is my fav.

Does ESPN even exist outside of the NBA playoffs and college sports??  haha

1 minute ago, MB-ColtsFan said:

Maybe all reactions to the pick should wait until after the mod announces the pick?  That's one way of throttling back the spoilers.  Anyone who doesn't comply gets a ban for the night.

That could work well for our pick by itself. I don't know how many people would listen, but if a mod announced when the Colts were on the clock to wait until he or she announced the pick officially before responding, it may allow everyone to hear it at once. Of course, it would have to be as they announced it on tv.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MB-ColtsFan said:

Agree with Jared, NFL Network is my fav.

Does ESPN even exist outside of the NBA playoffs and college sports??  haha

They basically just focus on basketball. It's such a garbage network now. Rarely see baseball games during basketball season, basketball is more focused on than football as well. Other sports don't even exist on there. College is on a lot as well.

18 minutes ago, Buck Showalter said:

Obviously there is something more intriguing about the NFL draft than just teams picking players, as evidenced by the build-up, hype, & amount of mock drafting going on this time of the year...

For some fans like myself who don't/doesn't watch alot of college ball it is also just simply a condensed "cliff note version" way of learning about the incoming rookie class...

Absolutely. I watch a good amount of college football but I don't know half of the players until it's close to draft time. Then I'll go back and look at highlights to get a better grasp of who these players are. And as much as I love the draft, and all that goes into it, I admit I could do without some of the hype and theatrics that are put on. Ultimately, I just want to see the picks. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Barry Sears said:

To me, more exciting than Christmas Eve, especially this year.  We've all read the numerous scenarios that may play out tomorrow and the remainder of the draft, but one thing is certain...this is going to be exciting!  So many things can happen and there are several players out there that can really help our team.

After the dust settles, there will be second-guessing, complaining, praise, joy, happiness and anticipation to see how our new Colts perform.

I know the past year or two has been tough for us Colts fans who have long been accustomed to success, playoff berths and division titles.

But, with the hopeful return of Andrew Luck, a new coaching staff, several newly drafted players and free agents who should make an immediate impact, I can't help but be excited.

Think of Houston Astros fans who enjoyed their success with the Killer B's a few years ago, then saw a downturn, a complete tear-down and overhaul of their team.  They suffered through 3 straight years of 100+ losses!  BUT, the re-build was on and they are now World Champions.

I'm hoping for the same outcome in Indianapolis.  We have lots of draft picks the next two years, and may add more during the draft.  I'm excited for a new defense...one that strikes fear into opponents...I'm excited for a new offense lead by Luck that is dynamic, and also strikes fear into the opponents.  I want teams to look on their schedule, see the horseshoe, and know that they will be up against a powerhouse again.

Let's enjoy the next few days and GO COLTS!!!!!!!!

I agree! I’m excited lol .... hope I don’t get let down like the year we took Dorsett in the first. Oh my gosh was I fuming! 

6 hours ago, Smonroe said:

I realize that this is the silliest 'sporting event' of the year.  Sitting around, waiting for names to be announced.  You'd think that would make golf on TV seem exciting.

Yet, I'm riveted every year.  I DVR both the NFL Channel and ESPN so I can hear each take on the Colts picks.  I will probably have YouTube up so I can catch the StampedeBlue live broadcast to hear their takes.

I have family plans Saturday afternoon so I'm DVRing the draft on both channels and will try to avoid all notices so I can be 'surprised' by the picks.

Golf is exciting on TV.  You only need to understand the sport to realize.  Toughest mental sport of all.

6 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Good points... Last year was the first time I really remember significant spoiler posts, not that they weren't happening before that, just saying I remember that it was annoying last year... 

8 hours ago, Smonroe said:

Do you get much info? Seems when I watch they go to commercial for Colts then when they come back gloss over and start talking about a bigger franchises pick. That said I watch trying to figure out who will be there for us and who we will take.

8 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Do you get much info? Seems when I watch they go to commercial for Colts then when they come back gloss over and start talking about a bigger franchises pick. That said I watch trying to figure out who will be there for us and who we will take.

I know what you mean.  After the first round, when the time gets shorter, it’s hit and miss.  Especially on Saturday.

By round 4, we get more accurate and detailed information right here or sites like StampedeBlue.  

• Like 1

I won't be on the internet during the draft. That way there won't be any spoilers. I get off work at 7:30 this evening, so I will be home in time to watch it. (On NFL Network.) I'll have to miss about an hour of it tomorrow, but will be able to catch up later.

BTW, shouldn't draft day be considered a legal holiday? :D

• Like 4

• Barry Sears changed the title to It's Draft Day!! (f/k/a Draft Day Eve)
21 hours ago, P'Son said:

Golf is exciting on TV.  You only need to understand the sport to realize.  Toughest mental sport of all.

I understand it and play it, but cannot stand to watch it on TV.   Most boring crap ever.  

I've always considered it a "B" sport.    Like billiards, bowling and ping pong.

but that is only my opinion.   No offense meant to anyone.

I'm a fair weather draft fan.   I will always tune in to see the Colts picks and to hear more about them.   I don't care about watching any other teams.   I just check the ticker from time to time.   Similar with the years the Colts were drafting in the upper 20's.