Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Report: No Negotiations Between Robert Mathis And Colts

MTC

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/03/04/report-no-negotiations-between-robert-mathis-and-colts/

Earlier this week, we shared a report that talks between the Colts and impending free agent defensive end Robert Mathis were “warming up.”

Len Pasquarelli of the Sports Xchange has been hearing differently. Pasaquarelli reports that there’s been no warming up in the talks because the two sides haven’t had any negotiations as of Thursday night. The only conversations between Mathis’ camp and new Colts G.M. Ryan Grigson have been of the getting to know you variety and that no contract proposals have been exchanged.

Well this should be a interesting offseason..

If it tells us anything it's that we should take everything that's reported with a grain of salt. Kravitz, La Canfora, Schefter, and the like aren't reporters. They're gossip mongers. They'll pass along anything they hear without confirming their stories.

if i had to guess, and thats all i CAN do at this point, i would assume that everyone else is on hold until the Peyton Manning situation is resolved...even if that means negotiating a completely different contract for him. I would assume that that would also be one of the reasons that Garcon either wasnt offered yet or turned down the deal....his agent said no offer was made, espn said he turned down an offer...i would tend to believe the agent over espn.

I think that Peyton is the biggest offseason domino and once that is taken care of, the others will start to fall into place, one way or another.

I know this'll sound odd, but the closer we get to March 8th, and the more we hear, the more I'm thinking that Peyton WILL be released, and both sides know it.

'It's Peyton's decision if he wants to stay' involves him wanting to re-sign with the Colts as a free agent. That decision may already have been made as well.

Just the sneaky feeling I get right now.

If correct, imagine this board from the time the release announcement is made until he signs somewhere.

Between Wayne and Mathis..one will get the tag...

..and you could go either way

I guess it comes down to at which position are they deepest at. However, I think finding a DE at Mathis' caliber would be more difficult between the 2.

I guess it comes down to at which position are they deepest at. However, I think finding a DE at Mathis' caliber would be more difficult between the 2.

If the new coaches think Mathis can switch to OLB....then I'd agree with you..

But if Manning returns...he needs Reggie...they work together extremely well

If the new coaches think Mathis can switch to OLB....then I'd agree with you..

But if Manning returns...he needs Reggie...they work together extremely well

Given the current state of the salary cap, and the bumper crop of FAs the team has this year, it will be difficult to re-sign Mathis, Wayne, extend Freeney and keep PM unless you cut massively elsewhere.

Without the FAs, the team cap for contracted players plus its #1 draft pick = $91MM.

The 15 FAs had a cap hit in 2011 of about $35MM

The 2012 team cap is projected to be $121.2MM

So you see that it doesn't quite fit, even if we conservatively assume we can get the FAs (or their equivalent) back at last year's cap charge.

Given the current state of the salary cap, and the bumper crop of FAs the team has this year, it will be difficult to re-sign Mathis, Wayne, extend Freeney and keep PM unless you cut massively elsewhere.

Without the FAs, the team cap for contracted players plus its #1 draft pick = $91MM.

The 15 FAs had a cap hit in 2011 of about $35MM

The 2012 team cap is projected to be $121.2MM

So you see that it doesn't quite fit, even if we conservatively assume we can get the FAs (or their equivalent) back at last year's cap charge.

Extending Freeney helps the cap in this coming year..does it not... ?

..and Manning if he is cut and resigned..will have his deal structured to help the cause as Rothlisberger apparenty just did with Pittsburgh

..But...its Mathis or Wayne...in my mind...and as I said....I dont know if Mathis can switch to outside LB in a 3-4...

..so I'd resign Reggie..maybe with the cap...

And here's a question I brought up in the Carl Nicks and Ben Grubbs post...

Would you rather bring in a 27 year old stud OG in Carl Nicks or 31 year old Mathis? If we dont resign Mathis, Manning, and Wayne, we should definately have enough cap space to go get Nicks if we wanted him.

Dont get me wrong, if we can find a way to have both Mathis and Nicks, I'd be all for it. But I dont know if the money will be there.

And here's a question I brought up in the Carl Nicks and Ben Grubbs post...

Would you rather bring in a 27 year old stud OG in Carl Nicks or 31 year old Mathis? If we dont resign Mathis, Manning, and Wayne, we should definately have enough cap space to go get Nicks if we wanted him.

Dont get me wrong, if we can find a way to have both Mathis and Nicks, I'd be all for it. But I dont know if the money will be there.

Nicks will cost more than Mathis..

As much as I hate to say this, the Colts are in a rebuilding mode. Tag Mathis, get him to signing the tender, and then trade him. Why let him walk for free if we could get even a 4th rounder out of him? We are going to need all the draft picks we can get.

Extending Freeney helps the cap in this coming year..does it not... ?

..and Manning if he is cut and resigned..will have his deal structured to help the cause as Rothlisberger apparenty just did with Pittsburgh

..But...its Mathis or Wayne...in my mind...and as I said....I dont know if Mathis can switch to outside LB in a 3-4...

..so I'd resign Reggie..maybe with the cap...

Extending Freeney will help the 2012 salary cap if you can structure the extension such that it does not hit the salary cap more than $14.035MM, and if you can get him to accept it.

Roethlisberger restructured his contract in Pittsburgh by converting some base salary dollars into guaranteed bonus dollars. I don't think Irsay thinks that is a viable method for PM to restructure his agreement. This method does nothing to mitigate the risk of not playing for health reasons, as it will still hit the team with the large tail of unamortized pro-rated bonus pieces the time when PM cannot play any longer before the term of the contract has expired.