Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Have Mystery Prospect Rated High on Board

https://coltswire.usatoday.com/2018/03/27/indianapolis-colts-mystery-prospect-draft-board-no-6-overall/

Apologies if posted already. Didn’t see it on the first page of messages. But I’m telling you guys it’s Tremaine Edmunds. That’s why his name is surfacing so much in mock drafts for us lately. That’s a Ballard player for sure. Rare traits and the college production and tape to match. 

• Like 3

Probably Smith or Edmunds. 

It was reported that Ballard wants 3 LBers from this draft (please dont ask for a link, I read it like a month ago).  Edmunds or Smith, then maybe Leonard in round 2, and maybe Okoronkwo (who we supposedly showed interest in) for developmental SAM in round 4.

Edmunds makes the most sense. He has huge upside. And the Colts, as has been said ad nauseum, do not have the MLB they need for the new 4-3 D. Gonna have to draft that player. 

However, I don’t believe Edmunds happens if Chubb or Nelson are available. Edmunds would be Plan B. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Boiler_Colt said:

JMV said on his show that he's heard it's Denzel Ward.

Ward doesn't make much sense for the scheme we will be running. His weaknesses are the things we absolutely need our CB to do in order to be successful in Tampa 2. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, stitches said:

I think it's Edmunds. He fits the criteria that Ballard and Eberflus seem to want in a prospect that's just scratching the surface of his potential and plays one of the more important positions in Tampa 2. 

This.  Edmunds' high-upside skills fit exactly with our scheme.

I agree with Horse tho- if Chubb is available they'll go w him, and that probably goes for Nelson too.  I"m not seeing Ward though.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, stitches said:

Ward doesn't make much sense for the scheme we will be running. His weaknesses are the things we absolutely need our CB to do in order to be successful in Tampa 2. 

Can you explain this? 

getting the feeling that we pass on Nelson even if he's there at 6. Ballard seems to be wanting premier positions with our 1st. Not saying that I like it because we been playing around to much when it comes to the oline. I think Nelson would finally fix it. Hope Ballard doesn't toy around and take edmunds or smith over Nelson. 

14 minutes ago, SP_21 said:

Can you explain this? 

In Tampa 2 some of the main responsibilities for the corner are to

1. jam on the receiver in the beginning of the route, otherwise the safeties will have hard time helping and Ward has real trouble with that on tape

2. get off blocks and be physical in run support in order to steer the run inside, because if he gets blocked it spells troubles and big runs outside. This is another thing Ward has trouble with because of his stature. 

Those might be the two biggest weaknesses for Ward and they are also two of the main responsibilities for CBs in Tampa 2. 

• Like 1

I think the mystery man is Roquon Smith.  Our system is designed to make a star out of our WLB, and we don’t have anyone with the required skills.  They need to be very good in coverage, fast enough to go sideline to sideline, and quick enough to shoot between blockers (rather than strong enough to take on blockers).  The only suitable guy we have is Jeremiah George IMO, and Roquon will be a little better...

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, stitches said:

1. jam on the receiver in the beginning of the route, otherwise the safeties will have hard time helping and Ward has real trouble with that on tape

2. get off blocks and be physical in run support in order to steer the run inside, because if he gets blocked it spells troubles and big runs outside. This is another thing Ward has trouble with because of his stature. 

Those might be the two biggest weaknesses for Ward and they are also two of the main responsibilities for CBs in Tampa 2. 

Yeah...I highly doubt this "mystery prospect" is Ward. If you look at all of the CBs the Colts have shown an interest in...not one of them is under 6'.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Archer said:

I think the mystery man is Roquon Smith.  Our system is designed to make a star out of our WLB, and we don’t have anyone with the required skills.  They need to be very good in coverage, fast enough to go sideline to sideline, and quick enough to shoot between blockers (rather than strong enough to take on blockers).  The only suitable guy we have is Jeremiah George IMO, and Roquon will be a little better...

I agree 100%. Most say 6 is too high to take Smith, but if he's a guy you think can be a cornerstone of your defense, you take him. Most of the draft is either a reach or a steal, depending on who you talk to. At the end of the day, if you draft Smith at 6 and he becomes an All-Pro, most would say he should've gone higher.. If Chubb isn't there, I wouldn't be upset taking Smith.

• Like 3

It would make sense that it would be Edmunds or Smith. Looking at the roster it is pretty obvious we are going to be looking for LBs in the draft (we might have 1 starting LB in Simon as the Sam). That would put either of them in a good spot and both could fit our scheme nicely. Taking a 19 year old with the size and athleticism of Edmunds would be very intriguing. I don't see Ward being that guy, as said above, he struggles in a some key areas for a cover 2 CB. Fitzpatrick would be intriguing as he could play about anywhere in our scheme (my guess would be boundary CB). Who knows though, could just be a bunch of smoke. I'm getting pumped for draft night, it's going to be exciting to see how it all plays out!

2 hours ago, stitches said:

That makes sense. Thanks for clarification. Not familiar with the Tampa 2 at all. I like Ward because of how sticky he is in coverage and with his speed and quickness he can really make up ground when a WR does get separation. I think when he has a shot he can really lay the boom but his lack of size will limit his performance against the run. 

Altogether I think he has elite coverage ability and athleticism and I would hold that in higher regard then his ability to jam at the los or help against the run. 

After thinking about it, I think this mystery player is ....... Derwin James - S

6'2" 215lb enforcer

4.47 40

This new defense needs a thumper as a safety - Bob Sanders was the "eraser"

When he was healthy (Not often :() the cover 2 worked well.- REALLY WELL

I dont feel that we have an "Eraser" in Geathers

Clayton Geathers had a serious neck injury last year...... I dont know that I trust that he can come back 100%

Even when healthy, he was a LONG way to get to Bob Sanders level

Remember, one of the driving factors for the Chiefs defense was Eric Berry

I am NOT saying that we would pick him...... but he does fit a role that we may not have a solution for

Derwin James was a game changer.... and could be for the Colts as well 

• Like 2

Wouldn't surprise me too much if Ballard took someone other than Chubb, Nelson or Barkley with the 6th pick.  Could be Edmonds, Roquan or a safety or corner he has an eye on.  The thing is the Colts have so many needs that its practically impossible for them to take someone who couldn't conceivably improve their roster.

1 minute ago, Coltsman1788 said:

Wouldn't surprise me too much if Ballard took someone other than Chubb, Nelson or Barkley with the 6th pick.  Could be Edmonds, Roquan or a safety or corner he has an eye on.  The thing is the Colts have so many needs that its practically impossible for them to take someone who couldn't conceivably improve their roster.

Thats actually a blessing in disguise.

I can imagibe the Colts scouts and coaches are doing the "what about that guy" conversation 100's of times a day right now....... :) 

There are about 5 guys that would significantly help this team, and be within reason for the 6th pick

• Like 1

# 6 Denzel Ward. 

* Out of all the position groups based on need and immediate impact. IMO the secondary is 1 star cornerback away from being a complete high impact group.        NO FLY ZONE

Q. WILSON        M. HOOKER

D. WARD.            C. GATHERS 

N. HAIRSTON     M. FARLEY

* Ward & Hooker also have prior chemistry together for whatever that's worth.

• Like 1

Edmunds really isnt a mystery pick

Also:

On NFL draft show last night -  Kiper vs McShay Dualing Mocks

McShay had us trade with Miami 

In both of the mocks Edmunds was available at 11

I dont know about that, but would pick Edmunds AND take Miamis second ........ That would fill another hole

5 hours ago, SolidGold said:

# 6 Denzel Ward. 

* Out of all the position groups based on need and immediate impact. IMO the secondary is 1 star cornerback away from being a complete high impact group.        NO FLY ZONE

Q. WILSON        M. HOOKER

D. WARD.            C. GATHERS 

N. HAIRSTON     M. FARLEY

* Ward & Hooker also have prior chemistry together for whatever that's worth.

Denzel is an amazing talent. But he is a pure man-to-man cover guy......  a guy that will stay with his man all over the field. The cover 2 is a zone type, action in front of you where the CB is much more involved in tackles. You have to typically pay way more for the pure cover guy..... the slightly slower, bigger guys who would get ate up in man to man can survivie and thrive in a cover 2 defense (area zone)  So.... Ward is a bit of a waste in our defense 

2 hours ago, MikeCurtis said:

Edmunds really isnt a mystery pick

Also:

On NFL draft show last night -  Kiper vs McShay Dualing Mocks

McShay had us trade with Miami 

In both of the mocks Edmunds was available at 11

I dont know about that, but would pick Edmunds AND take Miamis second ........ That would fill another hole

My feeling, and I believe most GM's, is that if there is a Gold Jacket candidate in the top 6-8, and you are in a position to get him... you do it.  But if there isn't one, and there are above average starter grade players available further down, then trade back. 

It is, has been, and always will be (it seems) there will only be true round 1 grade players available for the first 15-19 teams each draft season.  This year, I heard Gil Brandt mention that on his list for 2018, players from 15 to 55 could be interchangeable in where they get selected.  They are so close.  If true (and I have utmost respect for his talent evaluation skills) this tells me that outside of the 'elite/game changer' zone, players in the late 1st  and second round might well be selected on need in many cases.  

This is pre-draft.  The trick is to determine via intangibles which of these in a tight group will eventually rise above the others, and which ones never quite fulfill expectations.  It's not about just getting a lot of picks in this area here, its making each of those picks count too.

2 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

Roquan Smith and Derwin James would be the other guys I think it could be. 

Roquan would be a great fit as a WL 

He would seem to be a good fit at 11 or 12 on, but not at 6

I hadnt watched much of Derwin James until this week, and he has some size and speed

He could play close to the line on running downs and deeper on passing downs

he could pick up the athletic TEs as well

At 6, I am believing that I would be happiest with Edwards.also happy with Chubb

If we trade, At 12(or 11 if its the Dolphins), if Edmunds is still there I would jump on him (i think he would get taken by the Bears)

At 12, I would be VERY happy with any of this group

Edwards

Derwin James

Nelson (I think he slides a bit)

Landry (I started watching tape on this guy the past 2 weeks, and he would work very well on the weak side)

18 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

Roquan would be a great fit as a WL 

He would seem to be a good fit at 11 or 12 on, but not at 6

I hadnt watched much of Derwin James until this week, and he has some size and speed

He could play close to the line on running downs and deeper on passing downs

he could pick up the athletic TEs as well

At 6, I am believing that I would be happiest with Edwards.also happy with Chubb

If we trade, At 12(or 11 if its the Dolphins), if Edmunds is still there I would jump on him (i think he would get taken by the Bears)

At 12, I would be VERY happy with any of this group

Edwards

Derwin James

Nelson (I think he slides a bit)

Landry (I started watching tape on this guy the past 2 weeks, and he would work very well on the weak side)

I’ve come to the conclusion that the Colts are not taking Nelson at 6. It’s down to Edmunds, Chubb, Barkley, or James. 

4 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

I’ve come to the conclusion that the Colts are not taking Nelson at 6. It’s down to Edmunds, Chubb, Barkley, or James. 

I could live with any of those!

Still have my favorites...... but our team gets stonger with any of those 4

• Like 1