Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Double up on Edmunds?

Let’s say that Nelson, Chubb, and Barkley are all gone at 6.  I’m convinced that Edmunds is Ballard’s current consolation prize, and I’d love to have him (even at 6).  I think he could play middle or strong side for us and be all pro early in his career.

That being said, I also like the idea of drafting his brother in the fourth and bulking him up to play weak side linebacker.  I’m sure they’d be stoked to continue playing together, and it would help give our defense an uber-athletic identity!  That pair plus Hooker playing on turf would be ridiculous!

What are everyone elses thoughts on trying to nab them both?

• Like 4

39 minutes ago, DarkSuperman said:

Who would you compare Edmunds to in the NFL?

A slightly taller, more athletic, better coverage but weaker run defense Urlacher, or even a much bigger Luke Kuechly but with worse instincts. He could also not pan out at all, which can be said for anybody, but even then he would be like a poor mans Sean Lee

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DarkSuperman said:

He’ll be his own mold, and he’s still only 19.  The closest size/speed/strength comparison I’ve seen is probably Gronk.  He’s unreal for a linebacker.

Another interesting thing he said; when Schefter asked how many QBs he expected to be taken in the first five, Ballard said "two," because he always prepares for the worst scenario. Combine that with his comment about being comfortable at six because they still think there are one or two "special" position players at six, that means they think there are at least four special guys. We know, or think we know three: Barkley, Chubb and Nelson. 

so who's number four? Edmonds? Roquan Smith? Davenport?

Personally, from looking at KCs draft history when Ballard was there, i think it's probably a DB. Ward, Minka or James.

3 hours ago, MikeCurtis said:

I would agree that he is the mystery pick, but let him play MLB

I agree that his length and speed dropping back into a Tampa 2 zone is just unfair.  It would also allow us to slot Simon into the strong side.

1 hour ago, DarkSuperman said:

And his brother Terrell is bigger, faster, and stronger than Cato June with better cover instints!

3 minutes ago, Gigc said:

Another interesting thing he said; when Schefter asked how many QBs he expected to be taken in the first five, Ballard said "two," because he always prepares for the worst scenario. Combine that with his comment about being comfortable at six because they still think there are one or two "special" position players at six, that means they think there are at least four special guys. We know, or think we know three: Barkley, Chubb and Nelson. 

so who's number four? Edmonds? Roquan Smith? Davenport?

Personally, from looking at KCs draft history when Ballard was there, i think it's probably a DB. Ward, Minka or James.

I agree, but I definitely put Edmunds over Fitzpatrick and James.  Especially looking at our current roster.

22 minutes ago, Andrew Luck fan club said:

I’d rather take Edmunds over Saquon. 

I agree.  I don’t think we have enough of a team to use Saquon effectively.  Edmunds could make an immediate impact.  Bringing in his brother would just be a bonus!

29 minutes ago, That Guy said:

I agree.  I don’t think we have enough of a team to use Saquon effectively.  Edmunds could make an immediate impact.  Bringing in his brother would just be a bonus!

I just don’t care if we have a star running back. You don’t need one.

1 hour ago, Andrew Luck fan club said:

I’d rather take Edmunds over Saquon. 

53 minutes ago, That Guy said:

24 minutes ago, Trueman said:

I just don’t care if we have a star running back. You don’t need one.

That's just plain foolish.

1 hour ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

Is it? 

2018: Philly : Blount cheap free agent. Ajayi acquired for a 4th

2017: New England : Blount cheap free agent , Lewis UDFA, White 4th round pick

2016 : Denver: CJ Anderson UDFA, Ronnie Hillman 3rd round

2015: Patriots:  Blount, Lewis, White, Bolden, Steven Jackson  

2014: Seattle: Lynch acquired for a 4th round pick

2013: Baltimore: Ray Rice 2nd round pick 

2012: Giants:  Ahmad Bradshaw 7th round pick 

2011: Packers: Ryan Grant UDFA , James Starks 6th round pick 

I mean , I could keep going... but I think you get the point.

You wanna tell me who’s foolish again?

• Like 3

Wouldn't mind taking him if it came down to it. I think Roquan Smith is the better player right now, but Edmonds has more upside. 

Roquan will be a day 1 solid starter. I think Edmonds will have growing pains to start with, but if he works on his game he will quickly be a top linebacker.

14 hours ago, That Guy said:

Let’s say that Nelson, Chubb, and Barkley are all gone at 6.  I’m convinced that Edmunds is Ballard’s current consolation prize, and I’d love to have him (even at 6).  I think he could play middle or strong side for us and be all pro early in his career.

That being said, I also like the idea of drafting his brother in the fourth and bulking him up to play weak side linebacker.  I’m sure they’d be stoked to continue playing together, and it would help give our defense an uber-athletic identity!  That pair plus Hooker playing on turf would be ridiculous!

What are everyone elses thoughts on trying to nab them both?

I am am not convinced that Edmunds won't be the pick even if one or more of Nelson, Barkley and Chubb are still on the board. 

His tape - I mean there are some take your breath away plays. I love the line on one of the YouTube videos - "coaches have to see that he has no ...ing idea what he is doing and is still the best player on the field."

I’m starting to get to a point in this draft where I just don’t care. Chubb, Barkley, Nelson, or Edmonds. Who ever we get I’ll be happy with, they all will probably be stars in the nfl. I do think Edmonds is going to be scary and could easily challenge hooker for the building block of the defense.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, HectorRoberts said:

I’m starting to get to a point in this draft where I just don’t care. Chubb, Barkley, Nelson, or Edmonds. Who ever we get I’ll be happy with, they all will probably be stars in the nfl. I do think Edmonds is going to be scary and could easily challenge hooker for the building block of the defense.

I agree edmunds and hooker can make a very scary middle field to try to pass to, would make QBs hesitate just enough to force some sacks

5 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

Yes to Tremaine. No to Terrell. Let him be a safety. Just because Buchanon and Barron made the transition, doesn’t mean you can turn every SS into a LB.

I agree i'd rather have size and speed at the position than try to convert a SS/Box safety into a LB he likely could play some LB in sub packages but i like Terrell as a box saftey he looks like he plays faster than Ronnie Harrison

• Like 1

15 hours ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

yeah, i don't get all the anti Barkley stuff. Everyone here is more than happy to pick a GUARD at 6, or a linebacker with questionable instincts, but everyone freaks out over the prospect of taking the number one prospect in the draft if he falls to 6. 

Remember what Edge meant to the team. If Barkley falls to us, I'd loooove to see a bigger Faulk type in our backfield. Add an OL and a WR and we're cooking.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, HectorRoberts said:

Same.  I’m actually more excited about the second round then the first.  I think the first pick will end up being a no brainer. 

6 hours ago, waka waka said:

I agree i'd rather have size and speed at the position than try to convert a SS/Box safety into a LB he likely could play some LB in sub packages but i like Terrell as a box saftey he looks like he plays faster than Ronnie Harrison

That is quite possibly the most ironic post I’ve seen, considering your profile picture is a college safety who converted to linebacker in the NFL.

20 hours ago, Trueman said:

Is it? 

2018: Philly : Blount cheap free agent. Ajayi acquired for a 4th

2017: New England : Blount cheap free agent , Lewis UDFA, White 4th round pick

2016 : Denver: CJ Anderson UDFA, Ronnie Hillman 3rd round

2015: Patriots:  Blount, Lewis, White, Bolden, Steven Jackson  

2014: Seattle: Lynch acquired for a 4th round pick

2013: Baltimore: Ray Rice 2nd round pick 

2012: Giants:  Ahmad Bradshaw 7th round pick 

2011: Packers: Ryan Grant UDFA , James Starks 6th round pick 

I mean , I could keep going... but I think you get the point.

You wanna tell me who’s foolish again?

Because there are varied ways to get the same results doesn’t mean that striving to get the best player at a position is the wrong approach.  We want the best QB, no?  LT?  DE?  Why not RB?   Not all RBs are created equally, just like all other positions on the field.  Sure you can find production in later rounds.  Can you find generational, hall of fame, carry your franchise for a six or seven years players?  Not as likely and not as easy.    

I think the argument that certain positions should only be looked at later rounds in drafts is short sighted.   Where would you draft Faulk or  Edge?  And don’t tell me they can be found in the fifth.  If you think Barkley is that kind of player you can’t pass on him.  Period.  And nobody can say we can get the same level of production from UDFAs or late round picks - because we would have by now.  And we haven’t.  There’s a reason for that.  

I for one don’t think Barkley is that kind of player.  But had Marshall Faulk been in this draft and the Colts roster the same, I’d be holding my breath praying the Colts ignored the “experts” and drafted him at 3 or 6.   

2 hours ago, That Guy said:

That is quite possibly the most ironic post I’ve seen, considering your profile picture is a college safety who converted to linebacker in the NFL.

Cato was a better LB than Safety but i hear you. I'm not a huge fan of converting anyone is this draft that is a Safety to a LB but if you want that why not just draft someone like Shaquem and put him at Will would be crazy 

Sam = Simon

Mike = Edmunds

Will = Griffin 

Cato was a better LB than Safety but i hear you. I'm not a huge fan of converting anyone is this draft that is a Safety to a LB but if you want that why not just draft someone like Shaquem and put him at Will would be crazy 

Sam = Simon

Mike = Edmunds

Will = Griffin 

I hate everyone obsessive love with Shaquem Griffin on this forum. Is he good sure. Is his story incredible hell ya it is. I just don't want him on the colts and best of luck to where ever he ends up. If he ever makes it to free agency and he has shown to make a difference then ya go after him then but until then let some other team try the Shaquem Griffin Experiment please!

8 hours ago, waka waka said:

Sam = Simon

Mike = Edmunds

Will = Griffin 

This would be nice, if Griffin wasn't drafted and brought in as UDFA. Otherwise, luxury. Nowadays, nickel / dime / etc became the new base defense, so there are only 2 LB's on the field in cca 70% of snaps. So the third LB is mostly an early down / RZ guy, who is good against the run. This role does not worth a high/mid round pick. Not to mention, that the Colts might already have this kind of early down only LB in Morrison / Jeremiah George / Walker.

On the other hand, I'd love to see Edmunds in Colts jersey. (Ideally, picked at 1/12, trading back with the Bills. But even picked at 1/6, altough it would be a reach. That guy worths the risk.)

5 hours ago, neug3246 said:

I hate everyone obsessive love with Shaquem Griffin on this forum. Is he good sure. Is his story incredible hell ya it is. I just don't want him on the colts and best of luck to where ever he ends up. If he ever makes it to free agency and he has shown to make a difference then ya go after him then but until then let some other team try the Shaquem Griffin Experiment please!

he's productive not flash in the pan he's the fastest WLB in the NFL don't let the he's only got one hand jade you. His energy is very much real he'd be one of the guys in the locker room or type of players that could really rally a team or a def. Looks like the trend is for impact players that can fly around on the turf i cannot think of a better fit for this team for someone that we could get late 2nd or 3rd he will not be on the board after the 3rd round if you think he will i'd like for you to help me understand why he would be there.

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, waka waka said:

he's productive not flash in the pan he's the fastest WLB in the NFL don't let the he's only got one hand jade you. His energy is very much real he'd be one of the guys in the locker room or type of players that could really rally a team or a def. Looks like the trend is for impact players that can fly around on the turf i cannot think of a better fit for this team for someone that we could get late 2nd or 3rd he will not be on the board after the 3rd round if you think he will i'd like for you to help me understand why he would be there.

I think he's a late day two or early day three prospect, but his media coverage is what is raising his stock.  Here is the write-up straight off NFL.com (created before his excellent combine performance):

Bottom Line

Griffin's physical limitation should be discussed as it pertains to areas like tackle disengagement and consistency of finishing, but his instincts, play speed and technique have all been major factors in helping him thrive at his position. His upfield burst as an edge blitzer and his range as a tackler are two strengths that NFL teams could capitalize on. Griffin could hear his name on day three of the draft, but if not, his competitive spirit and playmaking talent give him a shot to make a roster at some point in his career.

My question for you is, why wouldn't you want to sacrifice an inconsequential amount of speed in order to get a player with two working hands?  Terrell is 6'2", 220 lbs, and ran a 4.47; Griffin is 6'1", 227 lbs, and ran a 4.38.  They were both locker room leaders, so why is Griffin so much better in your eyes?  Is it because of his story?

I would be happy with either of them, but I'm not reaching for either of them (like spending a late second round pick).  If one falls to our fourth, that seems about the right value.

• Like 1

I'm not saying he wont get drafted in the or before the third is over and I'm not jaded by him only having one hand, but I do throw caution to him. But as a team that has seen too many project players under the Grigs management I just don't want to see Griffin be drafted by the colts. Also what the guy above me said media is driving his stock.