Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Hines Ward

LUVTHESHOE

I am sure that the Hines Ward following Arians chatter is soon to start,so why not. What are the odds? One thing you could bank on is that he is tough and most likely not to miss 10 games a year like some of our receivers. I think he would be a good fit for a young gun or even an aging star qb. I am sure he doesnt want to learn a entire new system ,so is he a fit?

I am sure that the Hines Ward following Arians chatter is soon to start,so why not. What are the odds? One thing you could bank on is that he is tough and most likely not to miss 10 games a year like some of our receivers. I think he would be a good fit for a young gun or even an aging star qb. I am sure he doesnt want to learn a entire new system ,so is he a fit?

No..

part of the reason to ashcan Manning is to get younger...

No ones been ashcanned and other than Collie getting his bell rung, I don't remember our receivers being always injured, oh wait, I tend to forget Gonzo is still on the team. But yeah our WR seem to be healthy most of the time.

Ward is durable but can he really make an impact anymore? He was going to make it easy on the Steelers to keep him and they just unceremoniously dropped him.

No ones been ashcanned and other than Collie getting his bell rung, I don't remember our receivers being always injured, oh wait, I tend to forget Gonzo is still on the team. But yeah our WR seem to be healthy most of the time.

Ward is durable but can he really make an impact anymore? He was going to make it easy on the Steelers to keep him and they just unceremoniously dropped him.

Gonzo, white, collie, clark. have not been real dependable(of late). I am not a huge Ward fan,but he is good in the red zone.

There's no chance. He's old, he's slower than Reggie Wayne, and he telegraphs his routes way too easy. I think almost everyone would be shocked if he didn't retire.

What the Colts and Bruce Arians should do is actively target Mike Wallace. Obviously he knows the system in which Arians uses, so he's a plug-and-play kind of WR. He's an RFA, and sources today say the Steelers have no intentions of franchise-tagging him, which would have cost them roughly $9.5 million against their cap space which they don't have. His RFA tender is right around $2.5 million, which the Steelers plan to match, but if other teams give him higher offers, the Steelers must match if they want to retain him. I believe the Steelers have the right to get a 1st round pick in return, but that would be well worth it for Wallace, as he would bring a much bigger threat to the field than Garcon and give the offense some big play making potential. Considering we're probably going to lose Reggie Wayne, the lineup of Wallace, Garcon, and Collie would be pretty awesome.

It's basically asking yourself this: Would you rather have Reggie Wayne back, or possibly give up a first round pick (not this year's pick, of course) and have one of the fastest, most explosive WRs at 25 years young?

Gonzo, white, collie, clark. have not been real dependable(of late). I am not a huge Ward fan,but he is good in the red zone.

Did Collie get hurt last year at all? Gonzo and White are second string. Clark missed some games but i wouldn't necessarily call him injury prone.

My biggest question about Ward is can be a impact player, im not worried about the money because hes not going to get a big contract anywhere.

I think he just joined the Expendables WR Club, along with Moss and Owens.

Gonzo, like Wayne and Garcon, is an unrestricted FA, so the Colts have to bring in new WR help. But I say one draft pick, and resign one of those three. I love the way Ward plays, but I agree with GoColts, if there is a 30+ WR to sign, his name should be Reggie.

There's no chance. He's old, he's slower than Reggie Wayne, and he telegraphs his routes way too easy. I think almost everyone would be shocked if he didn't retire.

What the Colts and Bruce Arians should do is actively target Mike Wallace. Obviously he knows the system in which Arians uses, so he's a plug-and-play kind of WR. He's an RFA, and sources today say the Steelers have no intentions of franchise-tagging him, which would have cost them roughly $9.5 million against their cap space which they don't have. His RFA tender is right around $2.5 million, which the Steelers plan to match, but if other teams give him higher offers, the Steelers must match if they want to retain him. I believe the Steelers have the right to get a 1st round pick in return, but that would be well worth it for Wallace, as he would bring a much bigger threat to the field than Garcon and give the offense some big play making potential. Considering we're probably going to lose Reggie Wayne, the lineup of Wallace, Garcon, and Collie would be pretty awesome.

It's basically asking yourself this: Would you rather have Reggie Wayne back, or possibly give up a first round pick (not this year's pick, of course) and have one of the fastest, most explosive WRs at 25 years young?

I love Wallace, but I think they will sign him. or franchise him.

If he's cheap then why not...dude's a team player and a teacher. I know we may be going into full blown rebuilding mode if PM leaves but you still need vets on the team to mentor your incoming rooks. I love the way Ward plays maybe he would bring a bit of toughness to our offense.

Reggie will cost more, again for the right price...

If he's that cheap then it means he's done which is why most people feel like the Steelers let him go in the first place so I stand by my no comment.

We need another WR but not one who is dirt cheap because he's over the hill. If we are going to go after a vet WR I'd rather spend the extra money and keep Reggie Wayne. Frankly it's more likely we'll just spend a little extra and over pay Garcon than it is that we'll pay to keep Wayne or go get Ward.

If he's that cheap then it means he's done which is why most people feel like the Steelers let him go in the first place so I stand by my no comment.

We need another WR but not one who is dirt cheap because he's over the hill. If we are going to go after a vet WR I'd rather spend the extra money and keep Reggie Wayne. Frankly it's more likely we'll just spend a little extra and over pay Garcon than it is that we'll pay to keep Wayne or go get Ward.

They had a long discussion about him today on Sirius. The concensus was that he just can't run anymore. He would start the game, play about one series, then go to the sidelines and cheer. He needs to bow out gracefully and retire as a Steeler.

Considering we are likely to lose Wayne, Garcon, or most likely both, then YES I want Ward brought in to be a reliable 3rd down option for Luck. Ward is somewhat like Wayne, but is a better run blocker. And Ward probably wont be too costly. Bring him in on a 1 or 2 year contract to be the veteran reliable WR Luck needs to gain confidence.

Colston anyone???

Makes alot more sense than Ward, but I sort of question if he can be a true #1 receiver. At times he does act like a #1, but there are other times he just doesn't seem like it. It might be because of how Drew Brees distributes the ball or maybe it isn't.

Reggie will cost more, again for the right price...

You already said this to me in this thread once.

That was my reply the first time and is still my reply this time.

Trust me..Reggie is not going to be just a little bit mote and is not going to be willing to sign a one year deal which Hines will go for.

Trust me..Reggie is not going to be just a little bit mote and is not going to be willing to sign a one year deal which Hines will go for.

You are spliting hairs.

If we are going after the older vet to play WR I would rather spend the extra money and keep Wayne (even if it's more than a little bit). Frankly I still think it's more likely that we just over pay Garcon and keep him over Wayne or going out and getting Ward.

I have no interest in Ward. I think he's done. I don't care how cheap he is. There is a reason he will be that cheap and generally when that player is that cheap it means one of two things.

1. They are done.

2. They are an issue in the lockerroom.

I don't think the later is a major issue with Ward so that leads me to think he's done and I have no interest in a player who is done when we are in a rebuilding mood.

Makes alot more sense than Ward, but I sort of question if he can be a true #1 receiver. At times he does act like a #1, but there are other times he just doesn't seem like it. It might be because of how Drew Brees distributes the ball or maybe it isn't.

I'll still take a pack of Colston Reds and a case of Colston Light please!

You are spliting hairs.

If we are going after the older vet to play WR I would rather spend the extra money and keep Wayne (even if it's more than a little bit). Frankly I still think it's more likely that we just over pay Garcon and keep him over Wayne or going out and getting Ward.

I have no interest in Ward. I think he's done. I don't care how cheap he is. There is a reason he will be that cheap and generally when that player is that cheap it means one of two things.

1. They are done.

2. They are an issue in the lockerroom.

I don't think the later is a major issue with Ward so that leads me to think he's done and I have no interest in a player who is done when we are in a rebuilding mood.

I think Garcon will actually get more money than Wayne, and who better to help a rookie QB and young WR core than Reggie? I agree with you 100%. If the Colts are going to keep just one out of Wayne, Garcon, Gonzo, and Tamme, my preference is Wayne, age and all. I think someone is going to offer Garcon crazy money, and frankly, Garcon isn't a #1 WR to me anyway. I think the Colts will be as young and new at WR as they are at OL, and as they will be at QB. At that stage I would love to see Reggie be Luck's security blanket and go-to guy, mentor to rookie or UDFA WRs, etc. I think a three year deal to Wayne will cost the Colts far less than keeping Garcon for four or five. I can't see the Colts going into the WR FA market this year, especially with a transition to a 3-4 or hybrid 3-4. If the Colts spend money, I'd have to believe it will be for 3-4 experienced NT and LBs.

I would rather have Reggie Wayne anyday! I live in Northern Ky so I live in Bengals country! Hines Ward is not a name well liked here, lol. I will admit he is a good blocking receiver. He has great numbers from all his years, but I too think he should retire. What championship contenders would want to pick him up? I'm honestly asking that because I don't know. At his age why go to another team unless they have a shot at a championship/

I hope they hire him back. Honestly, I don't want to see Hines Ward in any uniform that is not black and yellow. Guys a Steeler, period. I do wish he can do whatever he wants, though, rather that is retire or keep playing. I'm just saying that I personally would have trouble accepting Ward as anything other than a Steeler.

*SIGH I was hoping this thread wouldn't get posted but somehow I knew someone would do it. He's old, slow, and beat up. In other words.. he would be a TERRIBLE pickup.. unless of course we want a really slow slot receiver that won't last 4 games.

Reggie would cost a ton more, if you could get Ward for league minimum or close to it, why not? What do you have to lose? He could be a cheap 4th guy.

because just because a player is cheap and people have heard of him before doesn't mean he is going to help us. It would be a waste of a roster spot if he's done and if he's that cheap odds are he is.

If you want a vet WR spend the extra money to keep Reggie Wayne, there is a reason why Wayne is going to cost way more money, he can still play.

I actually think Hines could be a nice addition if he still has something left in his legs (a big if at his age). I think the fact that he was willing to take a pay cut in Pitt suggests he isn't demanding top dollar, and at this pace, the only receiver we have under contract is Collie. I have always heard how he is a positive role model and great locker room presence, he could really help with the development of a rookie qb as a reliable go to guy making the tough catches over the middle. Obviously, Reggie would be my first choice - but I think he wants more money than the Colts want to spend right now.

Hines Ward? really? I mean, I guess...I wouldn't pay him much more than a Pop-tart and a slice of cheese a year, though... He doesn't run well anymore. He's even slower than Reggie. If we're gonna sign an old WR for a veteran presence or a reliable target, spend the extra money for Wayne, like others have said. I mean, even if we DON'T keep Wayne, we already have the slower, great hands receiver in Collie...I just don't see how adding Ward does anything for us.

Also, for Mike Wallace, didn't they put a 1st round tender on him? There's no way we'll give up our #1 pick for Wallace. Wallace is barely worth a late 1st round pick, IMO.

I would rather have Reggie Wayne anyday! I live in Northern Ky so I live in Bengals country! Hines Ward is not a name well liked here, lol. I will admit he is a good blocking receiver. He has great numbers from all his years, but I too think he should retire. What championship contenders would want to pick him up? I'm honestly asking that because I don't know. At his age why go to another team unless they have a shot at a championship/

I swear 1/4 of football fans in south west Ohio are Steelers fans, another 1/4 like random teams, very sad. Im sure last year brought in alot of fans to the Bengals corner.