Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Moncrief to the Jags too [Merge]

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, Andrew Luck fan club said:

I agree. I didn’t expect us to make a lot of big moves like some teams. But damn I expected something lol. And everyone says “FA hasn’t even started yet” but tbh it has. That’s why we’re seeing all these deals in place. 

Personally, only two dominos have fallen that I cared about. I knew we weren't getting Norwell, but expected us to get Hitchens (not at $9m/year, though). If it were up to me I'd have kept Moncrief, but it's not the end of the world.

All the hyperventilating was predictable, but it's pretty ridiculous.

I really don’t care about the money. We have soo much to spend. Literally so much. We have an elite QB coming back. We’re not in this complete rebuild mode like we’re the browns. 

Butler isn't that good, though. And he's a smallish corner who doesn't have upper class speed/athleticism. I didn't want him at all. 

7 minutes ago, Superman said:

Personally, only two dominos have fallen that I cared about. I knew we weren't getting Norwell, but expected us to get Hitchens (not at $9m/year, though). If it were up to me I'd have kept Moncrief, but it's not the end of the world.

All the hyperventilating was predictable, but it's pretty ridiculous.

Colts are one of 3 teams remaining   to not make a single move this offseason.  Only Indy, Dallas and Steelers.  The other two have negative cap room. Indy has $72 million.

thats pretty crazy. Ballard did nothing to fix the OL last year. And now he let Fulton go to Houston and didn’t overpay for Norwell when we have over 70 million. We could have afforded to give Arob that contract too, and yeah Hitchens was overpriced but again we have over 70 million. If we were in the 30 mill range I could understand. Look at the talent on our OL, our WRs, and our LBs. You can’t fix all those in the draft even if youre perfect on every pick. We have a great franchise QB coming back, we’re not rebuilding. 

19 minutes ago, Andrew Luck fan club said:

Colts are one of 3 teams remaining   to not make a single move this offseason.  Only Indy, Dallas and Steelers.  The other two have negative cap room. Indy has $72 million.

thats pretty crazy. Ballard did nothing to fix the OL last year. And now he let Fulton go to Houston and didn’t overpay for Norwell when we have over 70 million. We could have afforded to give Arob that contract too, and yeah Hitchens was overpriced but again we have over 70 million. If we were in the 30 mill range I could understand. Look at the talent on our OL, our WRs, and our LBs. You can’t fix all those in the draft even if youre perfect on every pick. We have a great franchise QB coming back, we’re not rebuilding. 

We don't know what Ballard is doing. Nothing is official, and there are still dozens of presently unconnected free agents that I personally would like to have. The freak-out is premature.

As for Fulton and Norwell, no one "let" them go anywhere. They were free agents. There are others. (By the way, Fulton to the Texans hasn't been reported as "done" yet, unless I missed it.)

I personally didn't want Allen Robinson. Certainly didn't want Butler. 

To the bolded, I think the problem is that people expect this roster to be "fixed" in one offseason. It won't be, not even with $70m in cap space. 

Hitchens is gone. Bradham isn't, and he's just as good (maybe better, except he doesn't come from Dallas with Eberflus). 

I'm antsy and want to see the Colts make moves just like everyone else, but the tampering period does not and will not and should not define the success of the Colts offseason. 

8 minutes ago, Superman said:

We don't know what Ballard is doing. Nothing is official, and there are still dozens of presently unconnected free agents that I personally would like to have. The freak-out is premature.

As for Fulton and Norwell, no one "let" them go anywhere. They were free agents. There are others. (By the way, Fulton to the Texans hasn't been reported as "done" yet, unless I missed it.)

To the bolded, I think the problem is that people expect this roster to be "fixed" in one offseason. It won't be, not even with $70m in cap space. 

Hitchens is gone. Bradham isn't, and he's just as good (maybe better, except he doesn't come from Dallas with Eberflus). 

I'm antsy and want to see the Colts make moves just like everyone else, but the tampering period does not and will not and should not define the success of the Colts offseason. 

He’s avoiding signing young great talent in FA is what he’s doing lol. I agree build through the draft, but this idea that we can’t give a talented FA a lot of money when we’re rich is silly. 

And we surely could have given Fulton more than 7 mill per year. Hankins and Simon are good friends with Norwell and we could have payed more. 

I definitely wanted Robinson, he was pretty damn good with Blake Bortles lol. I didn’t want Malcom Butler either, unless he was cheap which he wasn’t. 

And this is the 2nd offseason.. and I’m not expecting it be 100% fixed, I’m expecting it to be improved in every way possible though. 

Isnt Bradham like 28 or 29? Hitchens was solid and is only 25 or 26. And Ballard loves his young guys. 

And I know that, just disappointing to see every team except us and two teams with negative cap space not do anything. We wasted Lucks years with Grigson and Pagano, I’m not trying to rebuild while Luck is 28. 

6 minutes ago, Andrew Luck fan club said:

He’s avoiding signing young great talent in FA is what he’s doing lol. I agree build through the draft, but this idea that we can’t give a talented FA a lot of money when we’re rich is silly. 

The freak-out is premature. I'm pretty sure he'll be acquiring good players over the next several days.

1 minute ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

He was missing passes in playoffs that I and lot of us here on forum were completing as kids in parks and playgrounds. Lol.

Seriously?!

Bortles played a great game against the Patriots. Obviously either you didn't watch it or don't know what you are talking about.

1 minute ago, Superman said:

The freak-out is premature. I'm pretty sure he'll be acquiring good players over the next several days.

You ignored my other paragraphs! lol but I’m not freaking out. And the people that are, are being silly. But I just thought it was crazy we’re in that group with two teams that haven’t done anything when we’re cap rich. I mean I still trust big dick Ballard. 

6 minutes ago, Andrew Luck fan club said:

You ignored my other paragraphs! lol but I’m not freaking out. And the people that are, are being silly. But I just thought it was crazy we’re in that group with two teams that haven’t done anything when we’re cap rich. I mean I still trust big dick Ballard. 

I didn't ignore them, I just disagree with a lot of it. Like Robinson, for instance.

6 minutes ago, Reidm said:

Seriously?!

Bortles played a great game against the Patriots. Obviously either you didn't watch it or don't know what you are talking about.

I know what I'm talking about. Do you? And the game I referenced was vs Buffalo. Brutal game to watch. 2 inept offenses that day.

And if he had such a great game vs patriots to go along with that great jag defense, how come he lost?

8 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

I know what I'm talking about. Do you? And the game I referenced was vs Buffalo. Brutal game to watch. 2 inept offenses that day.

And if he had such a great game vs patriots to go along with that great jag defense, how come he lost?

Actually you referenced the playoffs.

He played 3 Playoff games not one.

In those three games he had an average Completion percentage of 57.6%

He had an average QBR of 72 and a passer rating of 91. 

So overall in the playoffs he played pretty darn good. 

Some people will say anything to get a cheap laugh though

2 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

The Cleveland Cavaliers of the NFL, problem is they have a QB that wont be able to get it done haha 

Somebody buy that man a steak dinner & whatever dessert he wants...

Seriously though, I love how CBE can always pinpoint the achilles heel on any franchise across the NFL & NBA. It's a gift. Cavaliers of professional football...Now, that's funny! 

I was willing to give Moncrief one more yr to redeem himself, but quite honestly, this loss doesn't bother me much. 

1 hour ago, Superman said:

Agreed 100%

there hasn’t been a single guy so far that I’ve said “damn I wanted him and I’d have paid more than team x did”. Sure some of the guys I’d have matched the offer on. But that doesn’t mean the player would have chosen us. We’d have to blow competitors away.

The closest ive come to feeling bad is Breeland. Carolina getting him for 3 yrs $24M w $11M guaranteed was good. I’d have liked that. And I’d gladly pay that for Melvin. But something tells me he wants more and may get more. 

As for hitchens, I only wanted him since  he could run that Eberflus D w his eyes closed. But I didn’t love the idea of paying him $6-$7M. And I sure as hell wouldn’t pay him $9M. 

Give me Bradham. Or Avery Williamson. Or Preston Brown. Or Demario Davis. Plenty of talent still out there. 

This team has soooo many holes. I’d rather pay 8-10 guys $6-$7M each and fill them w above average but non superstars than spend big on 1-2 guys. 

Wr is getting a bit thin. But there’s still guys to take chances on. Maybe Pryor is this year’s Alshon. Maybe we steal Cameron Meredith away from the Bears since there is no compensation tied to him and the Bears just sunk money into Robinson and Gabriel. 

No dominoes have fallen w some bigtime DL guys like Poe and maybe Suh and Richardson. Talent is still out there to pick through. And after everyone blows their load and we have a ton of cash, we can clean up on middle tier guys like Simon and Sheard and such. I’m still excited. 

1 hour ago, Andrew Luck fan club said:

People here are saying that the lack of any FA additions is due to a well thought out strategy by CB.  It may not be.

He may have wanted a guy here or there and was too slow or too cheap. 

We don't know if the lack of signings is due to a well executed strategy, or a poorly executed strategy.

44 minutes ago, Reidm said:

Actually you referenced the playoffs.

He played 3 Playoff games not one.

In those three games he had an average Completion percentage of 57.6%

He had an average QBR of 72 and a passer rating of 91. 

So overall in the playoffs he played pretty darn good. 

Some people will say anything to get a cheap laugh though

If your a Fan of Bortles and think he's good, GOOD For You..

44 minutes ago, DougDew said:

People here are saying that the lack of any FA additions is due to a well thought out strategy by CB.  It may not be.

He may have wanted a guy here or there and was too slow or too cheap. 

We don't know if the lack of signings is due to a well executed strategy, or a poorly executed strategy.

Ahhhhhhh!

I'll bet that felt SOOOO good to write!

A chance to take a shot at Ballard and try to disguise it as some type of intellectual thought experiment!

Bravo!    Well done!

I'm sure this is your favorite post of the day.   It's one of mine too.  Just for a completely different reason....

Dear God.....    :facepalm:

Just now, NewColtsFan said:

Ahhhhhhh!

A chance to take a shot at Ballard and try to disguise it as some type of intellectual thought experiment!

Bravo!    Well done!

I'm sure this is your favorite post if the day.   It's one of mine too.  Just for a completely different reason....

You're mistaken.  There's never a disguise with my posts.

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

Ahhhhhhh!

Bravo!    Well done!

I'm sure this is your favorite post if the day.   It's one of mine too.  Just for a completely different reason....

He’s not taking a shot imo. Either this strategy of Ballard’s will work out, or maybe it’s the wrong strategy. Only time will tell. 

He’s not taking a shot imo. Either this strategy of Ballard’s will work out, or maybe it’s the wrong strategy. Only time will tell. 

That's NCF.  He has a bent point of view that he thinks is center.   If I said I only like 66% of CBs decisions, he'd think it was hate speech.

If you're familiar with Doug's posts about Ballard since he became the GM it's not hard to spot the shot.

Look at his response to me....   he doesn't even deny it.   Subtle is not what Doug does best, especially when it comes to Ballard.

4 minutes ago, DougDew said:

That's NCF.  He has a bent point of view that he thinks is center.   If I said I only like 66% of CBs decisions, he'd think it was hate speech.

If if you ever said you liked 66 percent of Ballard's decisions I'd applaud you.   That would be roughly 65 percent more than your typical complaints about CB.

Don't try to run and hide now.   Embrace it.   Don't try to spin this into something else.    You don't like his work.   That's your opinion.    Now own it.

Oh, and feel free to tell me and others here what my "bent" point of view that I think is center?   I'd love to learn from the mind of Doug Dew!

4 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

If you're familiar with Doug's posts about Ballard since he became the GM it's not hard to spot the shot.

Look at his response to me....   he doesn't even deny it.   Subtle is not what Doug does best, especially when it comes to Ballard.

Ballard has not proven to be better that Grigson after comparing their first (real) year, despite the unconditional puppy love displayed on the forum.  Not conforming to the lemming narrative is not the same thing as taking a shot.

We'll see how Ballard drafts down in the 20's and 30's and we'll see what FAs he signs with no cap space.  He may do very well and I'll jump on the band wagon then.

4 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Oh well I don’t know about his past comments. I just didn’t think that comment was hating on BDB. I mean it’s a bold strategy to not make any moves when you have the 3rd most cap space. I know he wants to build through the draft, and I agree, but you can still add good young players while doing so. (Which he can still do)

2 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Ballard has not proven to be better that Grigson after comparing their first (real) year, despite the unconditional puppy love displayed on the forum.  Not conforming to the lemming narrative is not the same thing as taking a shot.

We'll see how Ballard drafts down in the 20's and 30's and we'll see what FAs he signs with no cap space.  He may do very well and I'll jump on the band wagon then.

I’d say he’s already better than Grigson because: his FAs he did sign last year were young and played good. And his first draft seemed good to me. Hooker, Quincy, Hairston are going to be cornerstones for us. Basham could have a big impact in a 4-3. 

Oh well I don’t know about his past comments. I just didn’t think that comment was hating on BDB. I mean it’s a bold strategy to not make any moves when you have the 3rd most cap space. I know he wants to build through the draft, and I agree, but you can still add good young players while doing so. (Which he can still do)

Who is BDB?

And Ballard moved on Norwell...   we were a finalist.   We lost out.  And you don't know who else we've bid on.   You seem to think Ballard is sitting on his hands doing nothing.    I don't.

Ballard publicly said this would likely happen.   And anyone who is surprised by what is happening ignored that.

We signed 8-10 free agents last year.   We may come close to that this year.  And I'll be fine with that.

5 minutes ago, Andrew Luck fan club said:

I’d say he’s already better than Grigson because: his FAs he did sign last year were young and played good. And his first draft seemed good to me. Hooker, Quincy, Hairston are going to be cornerstones for us. Basham could have a big impact in a 4-3. 

Fine.  The fact is that we don't know why the Colts haven't been linked to any FA signings yet.  Everybody just assumes its because CB is smarter than everybody else and doesn't entertain the possibility that he has just come up a day late and a dollar short.  That's not a shot.  Its a possibility.

Bringing a constant high down to the center is not a negative.  Well, it is in some circles.