Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Moncrief to the Jags too [Merge]

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Ballard has not proven to be better that Grigson after comparing their first (real) year, despite the unconditional puppy love displayed on the forum.  Not conforming to the lemming narrative is not the same thing as taking a shot.

We'll see how Ballard drafts down in the 20's and 30's and we'll see what FAs he signs with no cap space.  He may do very well and I'll jump on the band wagon then.

Doug.....

You and I have had this exact same conversation before.    In the last 3-5 months, in fact.   And others have had this  conversation with you as well.

You just choose to ignore it because you think you'll be a lemming if you accept it.

Here goes....

The primary difference between Grigson Y1 and Ballard Y1 is that one of them had Andrew Luck as quarterback and the other did not.    You choose to ignore this despite repeated attempts to explain it to you by many.

Not sure why this is not obvious to you, but it's not.

25 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Who is BDB?

And Ballard moved on Norwell...   we were a finalist.   We lost out.  And you don't know who else we've bid on.   You seem to think Ballard is sitting on his hands doing nothing.    I don't.

Ballard publicly said this would likely happen.   And anyone who is surprised by what is happening ignored that.

We signed 8-10 free agents last year.   We may come close to that this year.  And I'll be fine with that.

Big dick Ballard. 

And we should have won on Norwell. 

I dont think hes doing nothing, but I think he should have used some of this 72 mill a little more aggressively. Just my opinion, I’m not hating on BDB.

26 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Fine.  The fact is that we don't know why the Colts haven't been linked to any FA signings yet.  Everybody just assumes its because CB is smarter than everybody else and doesn't entertain the possibility that he has just come up a day late and a dollar short.  That's not a shot.  Its a possibility.

Bringing a constant high down to the center is not a negative.  Well, it is in some circles.

We’ll just have to wait and see if his strategy works out. Would definitely take him over Grigson 11 out of 10 times though lol. 

10 minutes ago, Andrew Luck fan club said:

Big dick Ballard. 

And we should have won on Norwell. 

I dont think hes doing nothing, but I think he should have used some of this 72 mill a little more aggressively. Just my opinion, I’m not hating on BDB.

I think you should consider....

That Ballard has a boss and maybe Irsay wouldn't let him iffer more..

And that maybe Norwell wanted to go to a team that is close to a Super Bowl and not to a team thatvys years away.

I noticed a number of posts by you that proclaim we're NOT rebuilding.   I hope you realize yours is a minority opinion.

Because professional talent evaluators all think there is not much talent on this roster.   The outside world thinks we're rebuilding, even if some of the fan base won't admit it.

Just now, NewColtsFan said:

I think you should consider....

That Ballard has a boss and maybe Irsay wouldn't let him iffer more..

And that maybe Norwell wanted to go to a team that is close to a Super Bowl and not to a team thatvys years away.

I noticed a number of posts by you that proclaim we're NOT rebuilding.   I hope you realize yours is a minority opinion.

Because professional talent evaluators all think there is not much talent on this roster.   The outside world thinks we're rebuilding, even if some of the fan base won't admit it.

It’s irsay, he is not afraid to open the check book. 

And youre never rebuilding with an elite franchise QB. Reich put it subtly, “it can happen faster than you think” 

1 minute ago, Andrew Luck fan club said:

It’s irsay, he is not afraid to open the check book. 

And youre never rebuilding with an elite franchise QB. Reich put it subtly, “it can happen faster than you think” 

That is said for fans and selling season tickets.   The real world is quite different.

As for Irsay...   I've seen nothing that says he's not tight with money.   Just signing Luck to his deal isn't enough.

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

Doug.....

You and I have had this exact same conversation before.    In the last 3-5 months, in fact.   And others have had this  conversation with you as well.

You just choose to ignore it because you think you'll be a lemming if you accept it.

Here goes....

The primary difference between Grigson Y1 and Ballard Y1 is that one of them had Andrew Luck as quarterback and the other did not.    You choose to ignore this despite repeated attempts to explain it to you by many.

Not sure why this is not obvious to you, but it's not.

So I'm having a discussion with another member and you decide to pick a fight with me tonight by claiming that a level-headed possibility that CB might have come up a day late and a dollar short is the same thing as a shot.  

As far as the rest, lets clear this up so you don't misrepresent anything and fly off and pick a fight about this again.

Comparing Grigson to CB:  You can't compare drafts since RG was drafting in the 20s and 30s.  The only draft that's comparable is when RG picked 18 and CB picked 15.  RG took Kelly, and CB took Hooker.  Frankly, given their college resume's and pro prospects, I'd prefer the Kelly pick over the Hooker pick.

As far as FA, Grigson did well with the space he had.  He signed veterans to fill a bare roster to contracts that could be terminated if the draft provided a replacement.  Ballard has done the same thing his first year.  Ballard has a real keeper in Simon.  Grigson had Cory Redding.  

Everybody else brings up TRich, Werner, Dorset, AJ, and Cole.  Those were decisions made later, and CB can certainly can do better in the future.  But to be comparable in the future:

As far as TRich, Werner, and Dorset; Ballard would have to have the 26th, 24th, and 30th draft picks to work with.  As far as the TRich criticism: Vick Ballard was selected in the 5th (and probably a better all around RB than Mack in the 4th) and his knee went out, and damm-it-donald brown, whom RG did not draft, got injured.  During a year after we had just won the division and were favored to win it again, we had limited RBs active on game day because Bradshaw (a good RB) was also injured again.  To be comparable, Ballard would have to choose between the only options available during midseason, sign a RB off the street, trade a 3rd for Toby Gerhart, or trade a late first for the former #3 pick.  The choice is obvious.  Its a slam dunk.

As far as AJ and Cole, a proper comparison would be to judge what type of FAs CB signs the year after we go to the AFCCG.  Hopefully, CB will earn the ability to be compared to RG in this way.

To say that CB is better than RG is simply wishful thinking at this point.  The only way to look at him in a better way is by saying RG proved to be not good over the 5 years he was here as a whole, and CB hasn't gotten there.

That's not a shot at CB.  It only looks that way when compared to the running narrative.

Edit: as far as drafts, I liked CBs draft.  I predicted that Vontae was wearing down as the #1, so I wanted a #1 to replace him.  I was disappointed when we took Hooker at 15, but then perked up when we took Wilson.  I liked the Basham pick, liked the Hairston pick, liked the Walker pick.  Unfortunately, none of them showed very much.  Basically, except for Hooker and Banner, I liked/loved the picks because they were guys I had my eyes on last spring.  So I liked CBs draft very much.  But, with clear judgment, it hasn't proven to be very much so far.

28 minutes ago, lance_m8 said:

So far we have lost our #2 WR and our 2 biggest wants in FA in Norwell and Hitchens and here we are sitting on our giant stack of money only guy that we have inked is vinny I'm starting to stress

Our "#2 WR" had 26 catches last season. And he just signed a $7m contract for one season (incentives can take it to nearly $10m). 

I am a HUGE Moncrief fan, and I think fans here and Indy media have been somewhat unfair to him, but he hasn't exactly lived up to his potential. As a matter of fact, it would be more accurate to say I am a fan of the idea of Moncrief, what he can become. What he's done so far hasn't been all that spectacular.

Ballard said something in a recent interview, to the effect of 'we want to keep our own guys, but we won 4 games last year, so we recognize that just keeping the same guys isn't good enough.' A 26 catch WR2 isn't good enough. 

I wanted to keep Moncrief on a small, one year deal. He got 3-4 times what I would have offered him. The writing was on the wall weeks ago that Ballard wasn't going to go out of his way to keep him, and based on his price tag, I'm fine with that. I'm happy for him, I wish him the best, and I hope we get to see all of that potential fully realized on Sundays (except when he plays the Colts), but this was kind of an easy decision to make, I think. 

24 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

That is said for fans and selling season tickets.   The real world is quite different.

As for Irsay...   I've seen nothing that says he's not tight with money.   Just signing Luck to his deal isn't enough.

We went to the afc championship game with a bad roster and chuck Pagano.. because we had an elite quarterback.. 

you dont go into a rebuild with a 28 year old top 5 QB. Use your brain please. 

And are you saying irsay Irsay is tight with his moneyh?

1 minute ago, Andrew Luck fan club said:

you dont go into a rebuild with a 28 year old top 5 QB

I don't know where this statement is coming from, and I think it's based on a completely false premise to begin with, but I would counter by saying that you don't have to spend all your cap space on free agents before free agency begins just because you have a 28 year old top 5 QB. 

12 minutes ago, Superman said:

Our "#2 WR" had 26 catches last season. And he just signed a $7m contract for one season (incentives can take it to nearly $10m). 

I am a HUGE Moncrief fan, and I think fans here and Indy media have been somewhat unfair to him, but he hasn't exactly lived up to his potential. As a matter of fact, it would be more accurate to say I am a fan of the idea of Moncrief, what he can become. What he's done so far hasn't been all that spectacular.

Ballard said something in a recent interview, to the effect of 'we want to keep our own guys, but we won 4 games last year, so we recognize that just keeping the same guys isn't good enough.' A 26 catch WR2 isn't good enough. 

I wanted to keep Moncrief on a small, one year deal. He got 3-4 times what I would have offered him. The writing was on the wall weeks ago that Ballard wasn't going to go out of his way to keep him, and based on his price tag, I'm fine with that. I'm happy for him, I wish him the best, and I hope we get to see all of that potential fully realized on Sundays (except when he plays the Colts), but this was kind of an easy decision to make, I think. 

Yeah I am a huge Crief fan as well gonna be kind of weird with him gone since him and TY have been our core WR for Luck I believe this year he would've broke out in a new offense and with Luck back its a shame to see him go but I think he will earn the money people will pay for him

3 minutes ago, Andrew Luck fan club said:

We went to the afc championship game with a bad roster and chuck Pagano.. because we had an elite quarterback.. 

Thanks for wasting my time.

Good bye.

3 minutes ago, Superman said:

I don't know where this statement is coming from, and I think it's based on a completely false premise to begin with, but I would counter by saying that you don't have to spend all your cap space on free agents before free agency begins just because you have a 28 year old top 5 QB. 

I don’t know where I ever insinuated that we should spend all of our cap space?

3 minutes ago, Andrew Luck fan club said:

KC was destroying your Elite QB waht 38-10 and LUCKily for the Colts sustained an injury to Tamba Ali and two DB's
That is the ONLY reason LUCKY won a Playoff game that season. Top 5 my ___! Quit being a HOMER please.

28 minutes ago, DougDew said:

So I'm having a discussion with another member and you decide to pick a fight with me tonight by claiming that a level-headed possibility that CB might have come up a day late and a dollar short is the same thing as a shot.  

As far as the rest, lets clear this up so you don't misrepresent anything and fly off and pick a fight about this again.

Comparing Grigson to CB:  You can't compare drafts since RG was drafting in the 20s and 30s.  The only draft that's comparable is when RG picked 18 and CB picked 15.  RG took Kelly, and CB took Hooker.  Frankly, given their college resume's and pro prospects, I'd prefer the Kelly pick over the Hooker pick.

As far as FA, Grigson did well with the space he had.  He signed veterans to fill a bare roster to contracts that could be terminated if the draft provided a replacement.  Ballard has done the same thing his first year.  Ballard has a real keeper in Simon.  Grigson had Cory Redding.  

Everybody else brings up TRich, Werner, Dorset, AJ, and Cole.  Those were decisions made later, and CB can certainly can do better in the future.  But to be comparable in the future:

As far as TRich, Werner, and Dorset; Ballard would have to have the 26th, 24th, and 30th draft picks to work with.  As far as the TRich criticism: Vick Ballard was selected in the 5th (and probably a better all around RB than Mack in the 4th) and his knee went out, and damm-it-donald brown, whom RG did not draft, got injured.  During a year after we had just won the division and were favored to win it again, we had limited RBs active on game day because Bradshaw (a good RB) was also injured again.  To be comparable, Ballard would have to choose between the only options available during midseason, sign a RB off the street, trade a 3rd for Toby Gerhart, or trade a late first for the former #3 pick.  The choice is obvious.  Its a slam dunk.

As far as AJ and Cole, a proper comparison would be to judge what type of FAs CB signs the year after we go to the AFCCG.  Hopefully, CB will earn the ability to be compared to RG in this way.

To say that CB is better than RG is simply wishful thinking at this point.  The only way to look at him in a better way is by saying RG proved to be not good over the 5 years he was here as a whole, and CB hasn't gotten there.

That's not a shot at CB.  It only looks that way when compared to the running narrative.

Well...    you wanted to talk Grigson Y1 vs Ballard Y1.     I did.

Apparently you didn't like that conversation so you changed it and decided to pick apart the last six years.   

Huh?   No thanks.

As for all of your Ballard shots you're the one who always brings up the possibility that Ballard made a mistake.   Over and over and over again.

Maybe you're trying to see if you can turn the direction for all of the lemmings.   Good luck.

I'll do my best to avoid you and try to only comment when you offer your unique insight into the world...  

1 minute ago, throwing BBZ said:

KC was destroying your Elite QB waht 38-10 and LUCKily for the Colts sustained an injury to Tamba Ali and two DB's
That is the ONLY reason LUCKY won a Playoff game that season. Top 5 my ___! Quit being a HOMER please.

Look at KCs roster compared to that colts roster. Look at Pagano compared to Reid. Half their team could have got injured they still had the edge ya dingus. 

Luck was graded as a top 4 QB while being the MOST pressured in the league in 2016. And led the league in TDs in 2014. If I’m a homer you’re a causal (you are lol)

21 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Well...    you wanted to talk Grigson Y1 vs Ballard Y1.     I did.

Apparently you didn't like that conversation so you changed it and decided to pick apart the last six years.   

Huh?   No thanks.

As for all of your Ballard shots you're the one who always brings up the possibility that Ballard made a mistake.   Over and over and over again.

Maybe you're trying to see if you can turn the direction for all if the lemmings.   Good luck.

I'll do my best to avoid you and try to only comment when you offer your unique insight into the world...  

Actually, I'd rather not talk to you at all.  The typical back and forth waste of time was started by you picking on one of my comments, as usual. 

I explained Y1 vs Y1 in the post.  Same.   Stop gaps/ Stop gaps. Simon/Redding.  The rest was comparing things that could be compared, which isn't much because CB hasn't needed to draft a QB, hasn't had a year 2, and hasn't been GM of a division and playoff winning team looking to advance further...yet. 

But I see the real problem is that one must take the Forum Fraternity Pledge that CB is better and infallible with a smarter and better strategy than the other GMs, even though its a real possibility he just came up a day late and a dollar short.....today.    

39 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Sorry had to cut your post down a bit to be a little precise on what I was picking out.  The Ryan Kelly vs Malik Hooker debate could go either way. I remember the entire board or I should say most of the board saying they wanted Kelly. I never thought Hooker would last to when we picked and he received crazy hype as a prospect being compared to Ed Reed. I'm glad we have both of them on the roster and see them as building blocks going forward.

There isn't any comparing CB to RG drafting wise because RG was horrible. The argument could be made that just using Mel Kiper's big board would have gotten extremely better results than RG. For instance, Werner's draft we selected the raw prospect and Xavier Rhodes went next. In 2015, it was a match made in heaven I even remember 90% of the mocks had Landon Collins going to use but we took the speedster...

27 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

You are giving me a headache. You are probably the only person on this planet that cant give Luck credit for a 38-10 comeback win. Yeah they had injuries but also had a better Roster and Coaching. We won because of Luck, just like we won in MileHigh in 2014 vs big bad Von Miller and his Defense. What was Denver's excuse for losing to us? I am sure you will find one lmao 

4 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Actually, I'd rather not talk to you at all.  The typical back and forth waste of time was started by you picking on one of my comments, as usual. 

I explained Y1 vs Y1 in the post.  Same.   Stop gaps/ Stop gaps. Simon/Redding.  The rest was comparing things that could be compared, which isn't much because CB hasn't needed to draft a QB, hasn't had a year 2, and hasn't been GM of a division and playoff winning team looking to advance further...yet. 

But I see the real problem is that one must take the Forum Fraternity Pledge that CB is better and infallible with a smarter and better strategy than the other GMs, even though its a real possibility he just came up a day late and a dollar short.....today.    

Your ability to take 2 plus 2 and say it's a box of rocks is the stuff of legend.

And now you're running and hiding behind this "pledge" nonsense.    Nobody objects to reasonable criticism.   The key word in that sentence isn't criticism, it's reasonable.   Something you've yet to learn...    Ballard isn't perfect and no one here has ever said he was..   this is just more running and not owning up to your own nonsense...

Luck has done more with less, arguably better than any QB I’ve ever seen. The fact we won 11 games  in each of his first 3 seasons speaks to his ability. Those teams sucked , our coaches sucked ,and our GM sucked.

For a young QB to take all that on and still win , is something I’m not sure I’ve ever seen.

Straight up.

31 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

This is complete nonsense.  

Really, the only problem with Luck is that he was so good  he made us win more than we should have and it prevented us from getting a couple top 10 picks and rebuilding properly.

But, Grigson probably would’ve traded them for Randy Moss and Peyton Hillis anyways.

47 minutes ago, Andrew Luck fan club said:

Look ALFC, it's obvious you & NCF don't see eye on Ballard's approach to free agency thus far. Let's not slam anyone's intellect shall we...

39 minutes ago, Andrew Luck fan club said:

No problem, you waste everyone’s time daily so just call it even lmao. 

I've been known to rub people the wrong myself sometimes, but come on, neither NCF or you are stupid & no one's time is being wasted here. 

35 minutes ago, Andrew Luck fan club said:

Look at KCs roster compared to that colts roster. Look at Pagano compared to Reid. Half their team could have got injured they still had the edge ya dingus. 

Luck was graded as a top 4 QB while being the MOST pressured in the league in 2016. And led the league in TDs in 2014. If I’m a homer you’re a causal (you are lol)

Here, you & I are in total agreement ALFC. Luck is always rushed & seldom has a clean pocket. Part of that is Andrew holds onto the ball too long, the running game barely gives Chewbacca any breathing room to mix up runs vs passes, & we need slants to TEs more to get into a faster rhythm on offense. 

I respect contributions from both of you gentlemen [NCF & ALFC] let's not attack the person just whether or not the argument they are making is flawed. We're all friends here or at least relatives that can tolerate each other at Thanksgiving & Christmas right? haha

5 hours ago, DougDew said:

Edit: as far as drafts, I liked CBs draft.  I predicted that Vontae was wearing down as the #1, so I wanted a #1 to replace him.  I was disappointed when we took Hooker at 15, but then perked up when we took Wilson.  I liked the Basham pick, liked the Hairston pick, liked the Walker pick.  Unfortunately, none of them showed very much.  Basically, except for Hooker and Banner, I liked/loved the picks because they were guys I had my eyes on last spring.  So I liked CBs draft very much.  But, with clear judgment, it hasn't proven to be very much so far.

No, we traded for TRich before Bradshaw was injured.

Not an obvious choice, and definitely not a "slam dunk" ... was a terrible decision both at the time (which many posters voiced) and is even worse in hindsight.  I don't recall now who was on the street at the time, but I am sure there was a serviceable RB available or at least one that could have been had for a late round pick.

While I agree CB does not have quite enough of a resume to get a good comparison against Grigson yet, he would have to screw up pretty bad in multiple years to be considered a worse GM than Grigson.

5 hours ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

They had a ton of cap rollover nobody every looked at.

Even figuring that in(which I was from the start) adding up all the rumored contract agreements, they're sitting barely over the cap with less than 4 million remaining, depending on how they structured the contracts exactly.   And looking ahead at next year, they're some 6 million OVER THE cap based on estimates of the contracts. We won't know for sure until the full details are released but the JAGs have spent their entire cap space already 

5 hours ago, stitches said:

Maybe that's what we are doing... rolling it over until we can sign everybody in the league! 

LOL, if we get a few drafts like this (and the Jags had), who knows?

2 hours ago, csmopar said:

Even figuring that in(which I was from the start) adding up all the rumored contract agreements, they're sitting barely over the cap with less than 4 million remaining, depending on how they structured the contracts exactly.   And looking ahead at next year, they're some 6 million OVER THE cap based on estimates of the contracts. We won't know for sure until the full details are released but the JAGs have spent their entire cap space already 

The dark magic of capology.  There is so much to it, teams often have a capologist! (did I just make that up?). When people like our own Superman here post about "Capanomics" issues, I take notice.  There is just so much to it.  There is base salary, prorated signing bonus, roster bonus, workout bonus, Split salary contracts, Qualifying contracts, LTBE incentive bonuses, pre and post June 1 cuts, voidable years, back loading, etc...

I also believe only the top 51 on roster count for cap as of now (offseason), not 53 ?? In addition, true free agency doesn't begin until 4:00 pm EST later today?  plenty of signings and cuts upcoming... maybe even more than has been 'leaked' / reported.

7 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

LOL, if we get a few drafts like this (and the Jags had), who knows?

The dark magic of capology.  There is so much to it, teams often have a capologist! (did I just make that up?). When people like our own Superman here post about "Capanomics" issues, I take notice.  There is just so much to it.  There is base salary, prorated signing bonus, roster bonus, workout bonus, Split salary contracts, Qualifying contracts, LTBE incentive bonuses, pre and post June 1 cuts, voidable years, back loading, etc...

I also believe only the top 51 on roster count for cap as of now (offseason), not 53 ?? In addition, true free agency doesn't begin until 4:00 pm EST later today?  plenty of signings and cuts upcoming... maybe even more than has been 'leaked' / reported.

Oh you're for sure right. No doubt about that. Today is going to be nuts to keep up with, especially as 4 o'clock nudges closer. 

10 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Your ability to take 2 plus 2 and say it's a box of rocks is the stuff of legend.

And now you're running and hiding behind this "pledge" nonsense.    Nobody objects to reasonable criticism.   The key word in that sentence isn't criticism, it's reasonable.   Something you've yet to learn...    Ballard isn't perfect and no one here has ever said he was..   this is just more running and not owning up to your own nonsense...

What on gawds earth have you been reading? Your drama makes any conversion a real challenge.  I simply said that we don't know if CB executed a wait and see strategy well, or if he executed an elite player acquisition strategy poorly. 

And you read that as being put out there because I want to take a silent shot at CB.

BTW, #18 Kelly pick > #15 Hooker pick and 1st year 5th round Vick Ballard pick > 1st year 4th round Mack pick.

And this statement isn't a shot either.  Its simply stating a sincere perception that happens to contradict a narrative.