Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Superman's 2018 offseason mock (2.0)

http://forums.colts.com/topic/56107-supermans-2018-offseason-mock-10/

http://forums.colts.com/topic/56361-supermans-2018-offseason-mock-11-bleep-mcdaniels-edition/

Okay, second go-round, before FA starts heating up. Somewhat influenced by some of the rumors, but I dropped my 'no-ex Pats' requirement from the 1.1 edition. Same goal, to put out a roster that is two-deep without relying on rookies and returning injurees, except for QB and edge (QB because I think Luck will be fine; edge because I just can't get there). 

Colts free agent retentions:

Melvin, three years, $22.5m, $10m guaranteed, cap hits $7.5m, $7.5m, $7.5m

Mingo, one year, $1.5m

Rhodes ERFA

Vuj ERFA

Milton ERFA

Swoope ERFA

M Jones ERFA

Vinatieri, one year $3.825m (with $250k incentive, reported)

Desir, one year, $1.25m

Person, one year, $800k

B. Williams, one year, $950k

> Added $19.525m to 2018 cap, $7.5m to 2019 cap ($2.5m guaranteed)

>> New cap position in 2018 -- $139m committed, remaining cap space of $56m

Free agent additions:

Anthony Hitchens, ILB, 4 years, $28m, $13m guar, cap hits $6.5m, $6.5m, $7.5m, $7.5m

Zach Fulton, G, 3 years, $18m, cap hits $5.5m, $6m, $6.5m

Jordan Matthews, WR, 2 years, $12.5m, cap hits $6m, $6.5m

Cameron Fleming, RT, 3 years, $14.5m, cap hits $4.5m, $4.5m, $5.5m

Jerick McKinnon, RB, 3 years, $13m, cap hits $4m, $4m, $5m

Justin Bethel, CB, 2 years, $8m, cap hits $4m each

Bradley McDougald, S, 2 years, $4m, $2m each

Marcus Smith, DE, 1 year, $2.5m (added incentives)

Kellen Clemens, 1 year, $2m

Marcus Williams, CB, 1 year, $1.5m

Jaron Brown, WR, 1 year, $1.5m

Terence Garvin, ILB, 1 year, $850k

> Aded $42.85m to 2018 cap, $33m to 2019 cap (approx $16m guaranteed)

>> New cap position in 2018 -- $182m committed, remaining cap space of $13m

Draft:

1 -- Bradley Chubb

2 -- Isaiah Oliver, CB, Colorado; long, fast, athletic, disruptive, needs more toughness and physicality but can contribute right away as a reserve and special teamer

3 -- Chukwuma Okorafor, OT, Western Michigan; big and long, plays with power and patience, good hands, has range as a pass blocker, latches on as a run blocker, experience at both tackle spots; struggles with balance and double moves, lacking experience and still raw, needs good coaching

4 -- Michael Gallup, WR, Colorado State; long, fast, athletic, good hands, goes to get the ball, good feel, tracks the ball well, needs refinement down the field, good with the ball in his hands, great production, can play inside and outside

5 -- Royce Freeman, RB, Oregon; solid back, good size, one cut runner who runs with good patience and balance, heavy workload in college but durable and consistent

6 -- Tyler Conklin, TE, Central Michigan; good size, athletic with good feet, runs well, consistent hands with ability to make athletic catches; had a foot injury that affected him in 2017; decent blocker, not really an inline guy, more of a move receiver / h-back

7 -- Oren Burks, LB, Vanderbilt; H/W/S athlete/prospect who played a lot in college, lacks power and strength, not a great tackler, rangy and can play special teams right away

> Added $10m to 2018 cap

>> New cap position -- $192m committed, remaining cap space of $3m

(I'm going to add some more cap work details and a depth chart later. Just wanted to get this posted before things start happening this afternoon.)

Just a reminder: I'm okay with spending up to the cap in his mock because of the Top 51 rule, and because I have some ideas in mind about who will/won't be making the final roster. I would still expect to head to Week 1 with $10-15m cap space for the 2018 season.

• Superman changed the title to Superman's 2018 offseason mock (2.0)
2 minutes ago, Superman said:

http://forums.colts.com/topic/56361-supermans-2018-offseason-mock-11-bleep-mcdaniels-edition/

Okay, second go-round, before FA starts heating up. Somewhat influenced by some of the rumors, but I dropped my 'no-ex Pats' requirement from the 1.1 edition. Same goal, to put out a roster that is two-deep without relying on rookies and returning injurees, except for QB and edge (QB because I think Luck will be fine; edge because I just can't get there). 

Colts free agent retentions:

Mingo, one year, $1.5m

Rhodes ERFA

Vuj ERFA

Milton ERFA

Swoope ERFA

M Jones ERFA

Desir, one year, $1.25m

Person, one year, $800k

Free agent additions:

Anthony Hitchens, ILB, 4 years, $28m, $13m guar, cap hits $6.5m, $6.5m, $7.5m, $7.5m

Draft:

1 -- Bradley Chubb

2 -- Isaiah Oliver, CB, Colorado; long, fast, athletic, disruptive, needs more toughness and physicality but can contribute right away as a reserve and special teamer

3 -- Chukwuma Okorafor, OT, Western Michigan; big and long, plays with power and patience, good hands, has range as a pass blocker, latches on as a run blocker, experience at both tackle spots; struggles with balance and double moves, lacking experience and still raw, needs good coaching

4 -- Michael Gallup, WR, Colorado State; long, fast, athletic, good hands, goes to get the ball, good feel, tracks the ball well, needs refinement down the field, good with the ball in his hands, great production, can play inside and outside

5 -- Royce Freeman, RB, Oregon; solid back, good size, one cut runner who runs with good patience and balance, heavy workload in college but durable and consistent

6 -- Tyler Conklin, TE, Central Michigan; good size, athletic with good feet, runs well, consistent hands with ability to make athletic catches; had a foot injury that affected him in 2017; decent blocker, not really an inline guy, more of a move receiver / h-back

7 -- Oren Burks, LB, Vanderbilt; H/W/S athlete/prospect who played a lot in college, lacks power and strength, not a great tackler, rangy and can play special teams right away

> Added $10m to 2018 cap

>> New cap position -- $192m committed, remaining cap space of $3m

(I'm going to add some more cap work details and a depth chart later. Just wanted to get this posted before things start happening this afternoon.)

Just a reminder: I'm okay with spending up to the cap in his mock because of the Top 51 rule, and because I have some ideas in mind about who will/won't be making the final roster. I would still expect to head to Week 1 with $10-15m cap space for the 2018 season.

I like! 

Jordan Matthews? Reich was the OC in PHI and they signed both Jeffrey and Torrey Smith in FA., even though they already had Agholor and Matthews. And then Agholor took Matthews' spot and PHI ultimately traded him to Siberia.

I just can't see them matching up...and I wouldn't be surprised if Reich doesn't really see him as a fit.

17 minutes ago, IndyScribe said:

Great job! Bradley McDougald just re-signed with Seattle though.

Thanks. I saw they were talking yesterday but forgot to check back in on that. He got a nice deal too, now that they cleared some space. 

1 hour ago, boo2202 said:

Why McKinnon? Think we've got a back with his set of skills

Not really, Mack hasn't shown the ability to be a receiver like McKinnon. Similar, but different flavor. And I have no problem have backs with overlapping talents. 

57 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

Jordan Matthews? Reich was the OC in PHI and they signed both Jeffrey and Torrey Smith in FA., even though they already had Agholor and Matthews. And then Agholor took Matthews' spot and PHI ultimately traded him to Siberia.

I just can't see them matching up...and I wouldn't be surprised if Reich doesn't really see him as a fit.

He caught 73 passes with the Eagles. Possession receiver who knows Reich's offense. They had a slight logjam at receiver, and they traded him for a pretty good corner. It's not like they threw him out with the trash, and it's not like Reich was making the personnel decisions. 

My questions are why are we going so hard in the secondary if we bring back Desir and Melvin....then we add two corners in free agency and safety on top of taking one high in the draft? Don't get me wrong...I like special teamers and I realize the money laid out isn't much but the high pick is a pretty big investment. Do we have questions about Wilson or is it more you still have questions about Melvin? A second round pick on a guy that probably wouldn't have a clear starting position on a team with these needs seems a bit high. Also we have Farley, Hooker, Geathers, and Green back there already who is kinda a combo guy as well. Not saying we shouldn't look at corner but if we bring all those guys back I have a hard time seeing where the playing time would come from.

I also am not very high Matthews for the same reason someone else is saying. That seems like a fair contract for him but a slot receiver I guess I would rather see us get someone on the outside and give Rogers a chance in there and Brown like you have on the outside. What do you think of Albert Wilson from KC? I don't think he will be a real big contract but someone that Ballard would have experience with and had a nice season last year. I think he would come in a little cheaper although he is kinda on the small side but I see you went after bigger receivers in Brown and Gallup in your mock? I like Gallup just not sure he last til the 3rd but we definitely need help at wr...and this class isn't deep imo.

38 minutes ago, Superman said:

He caught 73 passes with the Eagles. Possession receiver who knows Reich's offense. They had a slight logjam at receiver, and they traded him for a pretty good corner. It's not like they threw him out with the trash, and it's not like Reich was making the personnel decisions. 

Fair enough. But they didn't have the logjam at WR until they signed Jeffrey and Smith in FA. And then Reich was public about how Matthews' slot role being open for competition...while praising Algholor. The competition line is typical coach speak, but only a few days later, Matthews was traded (to BUF of all places).

Obviously, Reich didn't make the personnel decisions, but I imagine he had some input...and has a similar philosophy to Pederson. I just don't think he's a fit...and I am not even sure if he would sign here. But who knows.

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

My questions are why are we going so hard in the secondary if we bring back Desir and Melvin....then we add two corners in free agency and safety on top of taking one high in the draft? Don't get me wrong...I like special teamers and I realize the money laid out isn't much but the high pick is a pretty big investment. Do we have questions about Wilson or is it more you still have questions about Melvin? A second round pick on a guy that probably wouldn't have a clear starting position on a team with these needs seems a bit high. Also we have Farley, Hooker, Geathers, and Green back there already who is kinda a combo guy as well. Not saying we shouldn't look at corner but if we bring all those guys back I have a hard time seeing where the playing time would come from.

Desir isn't guaranteed, in my scenario. But I could probably do without Bethel, if necessary. I'm just not certain about Wilson and his shape/health, and in no event am I relying on Green to do anything. I'm also doubling up because Hooker and Geathers have serious injury issues to consider.

I need to do something other than McDougald, though, since he's staying in Seattle (and good for him, he's getting more than twice what I was offering). 

I'm not relying on a rookie second rounder to come in and play a lot of reps, plus, I think Oliver will need a year on special teams to acclimate to NFL physicality. Overall, playing time will go to the best players. 

1 hour ago, shastamasta said:

Fair enough. But they didn't have the logjam at WR until they signed Jeffrey and Smith in FA. And then Reich was public about how Matthews' slot role being open for competition...while praising Algholor. The competition line is typical coach speak, but only a few days later, Matthews was traded (to BUF of all places).

Obviously, Reich didn't make the personnel decisions, but I imagine he had some input...and has a similar philosophy to Pederson. I just don't think he's a fit...and I am not even sure if he would sign here. But who knows.

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

I also am not very high Matthews for the same reason someone else is saying. That seems like a fair contract for him but a slot receiver I guess I would rather see us get someone on the outside and give Rogers a chance in there and Brown like you have on the outside. What do you think of Albert Wilson from KC? I don't think he will be a real big contract but someone that Ballard would have experience with and had a nice season last year. I think he would come in a little cheaper although he is kinda on the small side but I see you went after bigger receivers in Brown and Gallup in your mock? I like Gallup just not sure he last til the 3rd but we definitely need help at wr...and this class isn't deep imo.

They upgraded on Matthews with Jeffery, and that worked out well. They felt Matthews was expendable, and with Agholor in line for more reps, that proved to be the case. It was a good move for them. It doesn't mean Matthews isn't good. I also don't see how he wouldn't be a fit. He had good production with the Eagles, they just wanted an upgrade. 

Whatever was going on behind the scenes is unknowable, but it's hard to see Reich having a problem with Matthews when he was a 73 catch, 800 yard receiver -- and one of Wentz's best friends on the team. Rogers shouldn't stop the Colts from bringing anyone in; he's not a proven producer and he has a history of injuries. I'm all about Rogers getting a shot, but he has to earn it from April to August.

And one of the draws to Matthews is his size and versatility. Wilson is a smallish receiver, he wouldn't add anything we don't already have. Matthews being a proven slot operator with size is a big deal to me. 

4 minutes ago, OffensivelyPC said:

Youre missing the trade downs with Cleveland and Miami that net us a 2019 1st and like 6 extra 2nd/3rd round picks and then mocking Chubb to us.

Silly season for draft mocks hasn't started yet, for me. We still have a month and a half to come up with *totally reasonable* scenarios in which the Colts wind up with one third of the first round picks in this year's draft, and all the best non-QBs wind up on our roster.

6 minutes ago, Superman said:

Silly season for draft mocks hasn't started yet, for me. We still have a month and a half to come up with *totally reasonable* scenarios in which the Colts wind up with one third of the first round picks in this year's draft, and all the best non-QBs wind up on our roster.

tenor.gif

4 hours ago, Superman said:

Free agent additions:

Just curious at why you think the Colts should sign Kellen Clemens.

1 minute ago, Cynjin said:

Just curious at why you think the Colts should sign Kellen Clemens.

Not a make or break piece of my mock, obviously. But he's a veteran with experience in Reich's system, and if he had to start a couple games, he could go 1-1. I do expect the Colts to carry 3 QBs all season, and I'm not sold on Kaaya being one of them.

46 minutes ago, Superman said:

Desir isn't guaranteed, in my scenario. But I could probably do without Bethel, if necessary. I'm just not certain about Wilson and his shape/health, and in no event am I relying on Green to do anything. I'm also doubling up because Hooker and Geathers have serious injury issues to consider.

I need to do something other than McDougald, though, since he's staying in Seattle (and good for him, he's getting more than twice what I was offering). 

I'm not relying on a rookie second rounder to come in and play a lot of reps, plus, I think Oliver will need a year on special teams to acclimate to NFL physicality. Overall, playing time will go to the best players. 

They upgraded on Matthews with Jeffery, and that worked out well. They felt Matthews was expendable, and with Agholor in line for more reps, that proved to be the case. It was a good move for them. It doesn't mean Matthews isn't good. I also don't see how he wouldn't be a fit. He had good production with the Eagles, they just wanted an upgrade. 

Whatever was going on behind the scenes is unknowable, but it's hard to see Reich having a problem with Matthews when he was a 73 catch, 800 yard receiver -- and one of Wentz's best friends on the team. Rogers shouldn't stop the Colts from bringing anyone in; he's not a proven producer and he has a history of injuries. I'm all about Rogers getting a shot, but he has to earn it from April to August.

And one of the draws to Matthews is his size and versatility. Wilson is a smallish receiver, he wouldn't add anything we don't already have. Matthews being a proven slot operator with size is a big deal to me. 

I don't think Matthews is a bad player and I don't know what went on behind the scenes. But they felt the need to upgrade and then felt like Matthews was expendable. So I just don't see how, with several options out there, that Matthews is  their big FA signing.

But again...who knows. We will know soon who they are prioritizing.

Just now, Superman said:

Not a make or break piece of my mock, obviously. But he's a veteran with experience in Reich's system, and if he had to start a couple games, he could go 1-1. I do expect the Colts to carry 3 QBs all season, and I'm not sold on Kaaya being one of them.

Definitely not a make or break decision, I just believe they are more likely to try to get a younger Qb to be the third one. However, you may be right.

8 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

I don't think Matthews is a bad player and I don't know what went on behind the scenes. But they felt the need to upgrade and then felt like Matthews was expendable. So I just don't see how, with several options out there, that Matthews is  their big FA signing.

But again...who knows. We will know soon who they are prioritizing.

I'm at about 20% prediction/projection (Hitchens, Melvin, Chubb, etc.) Most of this is just what I think would result in a good roster and is reasonable and doable. So I'm not predicting they'd sign Matthews, but I do think he'd be a good fit at a reasonable price.

As for predictions, I don't predict they'll sign a big ticket receiver. I could be totally wrong, but it seems like an unnecessary use of resources at this point, IMO.

And to be honest, I don't really want Watkins (lack of production for his presumed price tag) or Robinson (coming back from serious injury, and I think he should stay with the Jags and rebuild his stock). Richardson doesn't scratch what I think is the Colts itch -- a possession receiver with size. 

49 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I assume Hitchens will start at Mike?  Who starts at SAM and WILL?

Listening to Eberflus and Ballard talk the plan is moving Simon to SAM. They both think he'll be even better in that role. Then we have a bunch of young guys Sankey Perry Grace George and of course Walker and Morrison. The end is near for Morrison he certainly doesn't fit the speed profile we are looking for. We have work to do at LB. 

2 minutes ago, akcolt said:

Listening to Eberflus and Ballard talk the plan is moving Simon to SAM. They both think he'll be even better in that role. Then we have a bunch of young guys Sankey Perry Grace George and of course Walker and Morrison. The end is near for Morrison he certainly doesn't fit the speed profile we are looking for. We have work to do at LB. 

Like Simon at SAM, especially if he'll be even better.  

15 minutes ago, King! said:

I personally would love to see the Colts sign Tyler Eifert to a one year deal. Any chance Coby Fleener gets cut? I wish we could have him back.

There's a great chance Fleener gets cut. I'd put it at 90%, especially if Jimmy Graham goes back to NO. I think there's about a 0.9% chance Fleener winds up back in Indy, but I wouldn't be opposed. 

Eifert would be nice, but I think it's important to get players who don't have injury red flags, especially this offseason. New coaching staff, Luck presumably coming back, this is a big reset. I don't want it undermined by players who might wind up sitting out half the season.

7 minutes ago, Superman said:

There's a great chance Fleener gets cut. I'd put it at 90%, especially if Jimmy Graham goes back to NO. I think there's about a 0.9% chance Fleener winds up back in Indy, but I wouldn't be opposed. 

Eifert would be nice, but I think it's important to get players who don't have injury red flags, especially this offseason. New coaching staff, Luck presumably coming back, this is a big reset. I don't want it undermined by players who might wind up sitting out half the season.

I agree with you about the injury red flags, especially at the TE position where we have Jack Doyle and then a huge question mark in Erik Swoope. If we brought in Eifert and struck out then we will be in the same position as last year with not knowing what we have in Swoope. This is a make or break year for Swoope, who has shown me enough on the field to know the guy can play. I personally just want Swoope to stay healthy and on the field. I think he could be our secret weapon that not a lot of teams will be prepared for.

11 minutes ago, Superman said:

I also just noticed you had the Colts addressing the TE position in the Draft. I like that a lot.

Depth chart: (draft picks in bold, FA additions in italics, injury returns underlined)

QB: Luck, Brissett, Clemens, Kayaa

RB: McKinnon, Mack, Jones, Freeman, Turbin

WR: Hilton, Matthews, Rogers, Brown, Gallup

TE: Doyle, Swoope, Conklin, Travis, Daniels, Williams

LT: AC, Clark

LG: Haag, Vujnovich

C: Kelly, Price, Person, Bond

RG: Fulton, Good, 

RT: Fleming, Okorafor

RDE: Sheard, Basham

NT: Hankins, Woods, Stewart

DT: Hunt, Anderson, Ridgeway

LDE: Smith, Chubb

SLB: Walker, Simon, Garvin

MLB: Hitchens, George, Morrison

WLB: Mingo, Burks, Grace

LCB: Melvin, Desir, Green 

RCB: Bethel, Wilson, Oliver

NCB: Hairston, Williams, Moore

FS: Farley, Hooker

SS: Geathers, Martin, (Green)

P/H: Sanchez

K: Vinatieri

LS: Rhodes

Mingo, one year, $1.5m

Rhodes ERFA

Vuj ERFA

Milton ERFA

Swoope ERFA

M Jones ERFA

Desir, one year, $1.25m

Person, one year, $800k

Free agent additions:

Draft:

1 -- Bradley Chubb

> Added $10m to 2018 cap

>> New cap position -- $192m committed, remaining cap space of

16 minutes ago, King! said:

I agree with you about the injury red flags, especially at the TE position where we have Jack Doyle and then a huge question mark in Erik Swoope. If we brought in Eifert and struck out then we will be in the same position as last year with not knowing what we have in Swoope. This is a make or break year for Swoope, who has shown me enough on the field to know the guy can play. I personally just want Swoope to stay healthy and on the field. I think he could be our secret weapon that not a lot of teams will be prepared for.

Swoope could be our Trey Burton.