Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Polian says's draft Barkley!

I dont have a source just seen it while watching NFL Live.

I always respect the opinion of former general managers like Casserly and Polian. Just seen on NFL live Polian say'd that Barkley is game changer, he could make any offense in the league better. He say's as a GM you can't pass on players like him, he doesn't think he gets past the Giants but if he does the Colts absolutely should be drafting him because the whole league knows that TY is our only playmaker!

2 minutes ago, Nesjan3 said:

I always respect the opinion of former general managers like Casserly and Polian. Just seen on NFL live Polian say'd that Barkley is game changer, he could make any offense in the league better. He say's as a GM you can't pass on players like him, he doesn't think he gets past the Giants but if he does the Colts absolutely should be drafting him because the whole league knows that TY is our only playmaker!

Doesn’t change anything for me

2 minutes ago, Nesjan3 said:

He was having a senior citizen moment. He meant Quenton Nelson

I would love to have Barkley on the Colts, but our defense ranked #31 last year. They were bad all across the board, and especially not effective at rushing the passer.

Let's focus on making the Colts a well-balanced team. Let's stay the course and continue to add to the defense. If we make improvements on offense, we should definitely focus on the OL. The offensive skill positions can be advanced through FA or later rounds in the draft.

8 minutes ago, Flash7 said:

I would love to have Barkley on the Colts, but our defense ranked #31 last year. They were bad all across the board, and especially not effective at rushing the passer.

Let's focus on making the Colts a well-balanced team. Let's stay the course and continue to add to the defense. If we make improvements on offense, we should definitely focus on the OL. The offensive skill positions can be advanced through FA or later rounds in the draft.

Our offensive rankings

total yards: 31st

pass yards: 30th

rush yards: 22nd

sack allowed: 29th

These are just a few. I hope we don't go all defense in the draft. The offense lacks playmakers outside of ty. Our line is a sight for sore eyes also. Getting luck back is great but we need to protect him and also surround him with better talent. 

I'm not at all surprised to hear this....

I've heard Polian say many times,  the RB makes the O-line,  the O-line doesn't make the RB.

I'll just say that I respectfully disagree,  and I thnk it's clear that many NFL teams disagree as well.

1 minute ago, 21isSuperman said:

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2012/04/trent_richardson_a_sure_thing.html

Not to say Barkley is going to be a bust or anything, but just because Polian said something, doesn't mean it's true

Polian wasn't alone on this one.    Lots of people thought Trent was the real deal coming out of college.

Turns out he wasn't mature enough for the NFL.     Was in over his head and didn't know how to be a professional.

As he result,  he had a terrible and short career.

10 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I've heard Polian say many times,  the RB makes the O-line,  the O-line doesn't make the RB.

I'll just say that I respectfully disagree,  and I thnk it's clear that many NFL teams disagree as well.

That's just not true. I wasn't much of a Polian fan anyways, but does he not remember the line that was blocking for Edgerrin? Hell, I'd almost wager that's why he let Edgerrin walk after 05' and chose to keep Reggie. Sure enough, Addai and Rhodes had no issues with carrying the load because they had the OL to make it happen. 

16 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Polian spent five first round picks on RBs in his career - so he kinda has to say the RB makes the line. 

Edge, Addai, Brown with the Colts, Biakabutuka with the Panthers, and Ronnie Harmon with the Bills.  For those who care, Thurman Thomas slipped into the second round after an injury, or it really could have been 6.  I'd say Bill liked his RBs...  

NFL teams agree with Polian.  You don't pass on game changers.  RB's  have been drafted very high in the last few years. This year will be no exception.  It's a strong class and if you need a RB you would be foolish to try and wait until the 3rd. or 4th. rd.  We made that mistake last year.  The potential difference makers will all be gone in the first two RDs. It's a copy cat league.  And everyone has seen how those backs drafted early in recent years have turned out to be great picks.  I wouldn't be surprised if we see a run on RB's in the 1st. RD. 

33 minutes ago, BleedBlu8792 said:

That's just not true. I wasn't much of a Polian fan anyways, but does he not remember the line that was blocking for Edgerrin? Hell, I'd almost wager that's why he let Edgerrin walk after 05' and chose to keep Reggie. Sure enough, Addai and Rhodes had no issues with carrying the load because they had the OL to make it happen. 

I don't believe it either....

But the topic has come up the last three years as Gurley, Elliott,  Fournette and even McCaffrey have gone top-10.

And each year I've personally heard Polian say the same thing...     the RB makes the line,  the line does not make the RB.      I respectfully disagree with him,   but Polian is in the HoF and I'm (for some strange reason)  not.

48 minutes ago, 21isSuperman said:

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2012/04/trent_richardson_a_sure_thing.html

Not to say Barkley is going to be a bust or anything, but just because Polian said something, doesn't mean it's true

No it doesn't.  But I would trust his opinion and valuation more than any poster on this forum.  Hands down.  

2 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I don't believe it either....

But the topic has come up the last three years as Gurley, Elliott,  Fournette and even McCaffrey have gone top-10.

And each year I've personally heard Polian say the same thing...     the RB makes the line,  the line does not make the RB.      I respectfully disagree with him,   but Polian is in the HoF and I'm (for some strange reason)  not.

If this Forum had a HOF you at the very least be nominated.

Not that anyone cares,  but for the record,  while I still strongly oppose the idea of drafting Barkley (I'd like to get our next RB at the top of the 4th R)   I've soften my opposition to drafting Barkley.

I've said I'll support the pick because I trust Ballard....

But,  I'd add this.....

I did not object to the Rams taking Gurley at 10,  or the Cowboys taking Zeke at 4,  or Fournette going 4 to the Jags, or McCaffrey 8 to the Panthers....       But the difference with Barkley is this...

None of those players,  those running backs,  were considered the best overall player in their respective draft.

Barkley is.      This was supposed to be the Year of the QB.     The Best QB Class since '83.     And NONE OF THEM are ranked as high as Barkley.      Barkley is the consensus number one player in this draft.

So, if he's there at 3,  and Ballard decides to take him,   I'll support the pick.   I think complaining about taking the consenses best player in the draft 3rd overall is a bit of a Fool's Errand.    A waste of time.    It would NOT be my choice.   But I'll support it.

2 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

If this Forum had a HOF you at the very least be nominated.

You're incredibly kind to say that....    but I believe I can think of roughly a half-dozen posters who just threw-up in their mouth just reading your post!     :thmup:         :spit:

2 hours ago, Boiler_Colt said:

Polian also said Trent Richardson was can't miss

This guy is a lot better than T-Rich Barkley isn't just a big back he is a fast power back and there is no comparison with him and Richardson cause Richardson was slow as crap and didn't have the power this guy does.

18 minutes ago, jameszeigler834 said:

This guy is a lot better than T-Rich Barkley isn't just a big back he is a fast power back and there is no comparison with him and Richardson cause Richardson was slow as crap and didn't have the power this guy does.

TRich's problem was that he didn't care about working to become a professional.  I think he ran a very good 40 at the combine.

I think all the references to Polian saying T-Rich was a stud is a bit unfair. Most people thought T-Rich was going to be good, its a clear reminder that nobody knows exactly how these players are going to turn out. 

That being said i don't think it's a secret that there is no comparison at all between T-Rich and Barkley. Fournette, Elliot and Gurley were all can't miss top tier running backs, but Barkley could be the best of the group, possibly the best since AP. 

I personally think if he drops to 3 we get lucky and would be stupid to pass on the pick, but i think the most likely scenario is either the Giants take him, or someone trades in to the top 2 for him. Leaving the Colts in a trade back situation to grab extra picks and hopefully Chubb or Nelson with a later pick.

23 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

To be fair.....Vandershank choked more than Manning and the offense. 

Well there were like 20 One & Dones. I don't think we cam blame them all on vanderjagt.

But that kick vs steelers was the worst fg kick I ever seen. It was like a 'funny ball' haha

3 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Polian wasn't alone on this one.    Lots of people thought Trent was the real deal coming out of college.

Turns out he wasn't mature enough for the NFL.     Was in over his head and didn't know how to be a professional.

As he result,  he had a terrible and short career.

I'll be honest and admit that when the Trent Richardson deal went down I was one happy son of a gun at the time.  I actually wanted him for awhile and when we got him I thought the Colts had finally found their star RB for Luck.  Man...was I mistaken.  Such a disappointment how that went for us.