Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Why Do People Doubt Peyton

runthepost

There is evidence that peyton was improving since his surgery. So whats the reason to doubt he will be our starter next year??

"Running back Joseph Addai, who caught passes from Manning in late December, and former team vice chairman Bill Polian, who watched the same workout, have both said Manning threw with good velocity from 25 to 30 yards." That was around New Year's Eve.

Another report from BP. The same session as above

"He was able to stand at the left hash mark and throw it to the right sideline, but he didn't get much beyond 25 to 28 yards," he said. "He was absolutely on the money and threw with good velocity. I was impressed with that workout and he clearly, clearly had come a long way since September." -BP

Chris Mortensen said Peyton improved alot in January and February.

http://espn.go.com/espnradio/play?id=7581097 link to interview.

There is 6 months to the start of the regular season who knows what will happen during that time. In early August he amitted that he was behind in rehab. Now he is saying that everything has been on schedule and the docs tell him good information on his condition.

So why doubt him when there is information of his rehah progress???

I don't know if this is true or not but after his injury there has been a rumor saying has was around 85% after the injury in 2006.

Thoughts????

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't doubt that he's making progress in his recovery, but 28 million is the largest single season payout in the history of the NFL. If he's not 100% it's a terrible deal, especially with Luck in the waiting. It has nothing to do with "doubt".

I agree with the 28mil part. I wonder why did Irsay give peyton that contract?? Irsay looks like a fool now with that contract.

I don't doubt that he's making progress in his recovery, but 28 million is the largest single season payout in the history of the NFL. If he's not 100% it's a terrible deal, especially with Luck in the waiting. It has nothing to do with "doubt".

I agree with the 28mil part. I wonder why did Irsay give peyton that contract?? Irsay looks like a fool now with that contract.

You think he looks like a fool now just think if there wasn't an "out" in the contract and that wasn't even Irsay's idea. Irsay was foolish with that contract but certainly as loyal to Peyton Manning as he could be (to a fault). Glad he woke up and realized no way can you pay somebody that kind of money at anything less than 100 percent. I've said it all along I still think Peyton retires because that nerve regeneration and strength can plateau at any time. Rehab can only go so far.

There is evidence that peyton was improving since his surgery. So whats the reason to doubt he will be our starter next year??

"Running back Joseph Addai, who caught passes from Manning in late December, and former team vice chairman Bill Polian, who watched the same workout, have both said Manning threw with good velocity from 25 to 30 yards." That was around New Year's Eve.

Another report from BP. The same session as above

"He was able to stand at the left hash mark and throw it to the right sideline, but he didn't get much beyond 25 to 28 yards," he said. "He was absolutely on the money and threw with good velocity. I was impressed with that workout and he clearly, clearly had come a long way since September." -BP

Chris Mortensen said Peyton improved alot in January and February.

http://espn.go.com/e...play?id=7581097 link to interview.

There is 6 months to the start of the regular season who knows what will happen during that time. In early August he amitted that he was behind in rehab. Now he is saying that everything has been on schedule and the docs tell him good information on his condition.

So why doubt him when there is information of his rehah progress???

I don't know if this is true or not but after his injury there has been a rumor saying has was around 85% after the injury in 2006.

Thoughts????

My thought is he'll be back to play football again but never in a Colts uniform again; he isn't 100% now, and now is what matters to us because of the $28 million we're on the hook for. You can't risk that price tag on 'maybe' or 'he will be healthy in 6 months'.

He is done as a Colts player but I don't doubt him on coming back with someone else.

You think he looks like a fool now just think if there wasn't an "out" in the contract and that wasn't even Irsay's idea. Irsay was foolish with that contract but certainly as loyal to Peyton Manning as he could be (to a fault). Glad he woke up and realized no way can you pay somebody that kind of money at anything less than 100 percent. I've said it all along I still think Peyton retires because that nerve regeneration and strength can plateau at any time. Rehab can only go so far.

A point about Irsays loyalty being in question, because he may not bring him back..

Another point about how Irsay looks dumb for inking the current contract.

Irsay is clearly in a no win with some fans, and that's somewhat understandable and totally predictable. I wouldn't bet 28 million against my team going forward with the uncertainty. But if Irsay is that loyal dummy for Peyton that he is (it's a joke, just to be clear), you have to believe Peyton will get a fair shake after all of the especially special treatment.

You guys are going to be SO, SO happy when the Andrew Luck era begins here in a few months and you'll be so glad you didn't wait longer.

Sometimes you can't see the picture until you're standing in it. I told Carolina fans the same thing before they selected Cam Newton and they just were too stubborn to listen. Now they think they've got NFL's version of Michael Jordan.

Luck is going to win more postseason games than Manning and another brick in the wall of great Colts QB's. You are so lucky and don't even know it yet.

You guys are going to be SO, SO happy when the Andrew Luck era begins here in a few months and you'll be so glad you didn't wait longer.

Sometimes you can't see the picture until you're standing in it. I told Carolina fans the same thing before they selected Cam Newton and they just were too stubborn to listen. Now they think they've got NFL's version of Michael Jordan.

Luck is going to win more postseason games than Manning and another brick in the wall of great Colts QB's. You are so lucky and don't even know it yet.

I wish Irsay would have hired you as GM. You obviously know everything that is going to happen. lol

But I hope you are right. I want the colts to win regardless of the QB.

.....and now is what matters to us because of the $28 million we're on the hook for..

According to Manning, he want to stay a Colt

According to Irsay, he's willing to talk to keep him a Colt

The door is open, they will renegotiate the deal

Where is the hook?

Another brick in the wall right next to Jeff George

Another brick in the wall right next to Jeff George

Dang, who let Betty Bummerstein in here?

Can I ask, what exactly is it that has made you so nasty toward Mr Luck? Is it just the hyperbole? Or perhaps you have noticed something about him as a player that screams "bust"?

I'm all for unabashed hatred without cause, but you seem a tad bit fiery in your disdain for #12.

Can I ask, what exactly is it that has made you so nasty toward Mr Luck? Is it just the hyperbole? Or perhaps you have noticed something about him as a player that screams "bust"?

I'm all for unabashed hatred without cause, but you seem a tad bit fiery in your disdain for #12.

I'm pretty sure he will eventually jump on the Luck bandwagon.

First off, the hype is just overwhelming. That sets up all kinds of completely unrealistic expectations in the fan base that the man simply can not meet. When that happens all kinds of things go wrong very fast. The fans turn, the press turns, the player starts pressing to silence the boos and things just fall apart. Every time someone repeats the "best since Norm Van Brocklin" nonsense it justs sets him up even more for disaster.

Secondly, I do not think he is anywhere near as good as advertised. I think his college numbers are fraudulent and are the product of a truly great offensive line and very soft scheduling including cream puff Pac-12 defenses. Once again, the expectations are "best since Sammy Baugh" and quite frankly I see nothing in his play which makes me believe that he can deliver anything approaching that.

Next, the shadow of Peyton Manning looms very large. This isn't replacing JIm Harbaugh. It is replacing a true legend of the game. Here again I expect the man to try and force things to get out from under that shadow and I expect the results to be disappointing.

Fourth, the Colts are a mess. He isn't going to get the kind of support that a young quarterback needs to flourish. Manning could carry this team but I see no reason to believe that some rookie ever could.

The man is being put in an extremely difficult position and people in extremely difficult positions usually disappoint.

Don't get me wrong. I am not some kind of Andrew Luck hater. In fact, I hope the man has the kind of solid Chad Pennington type career I expect him to have. Unfortunately, given the ridiculous expectations that have been set up a Chad Pennington career will be considered an enormous bust.

I just don't buy any of the hype at all. In fact, I think it is beyond comical to be perfectly honest.

First off, the hype is just overwhelming.

I hear ya. But the media bloviating doesn't diminish his quality. In other words, the media antics don't actually take away from what he is. Many folks have had the same complaint about Peyton for years. Some, like Gruden, would pay a great deal of money to have their lips surgically attached to Peyton's backside. But that crap doesn't mean Manning isn't/wasn't freaking awesome.

Secondly, I do not think he is anywhere near as good as advertised. I think his college numbers are fraudulent and are the product of a truly great offensive line and very soft scheduling including cream puff Pac-12 defenses. Once again, the expectations are "best since Sammy Baugh" and quite frankly I see nothing in his play which makes me believe that he can deliver anything approaching that.

All perfectly good reason for developing an opinion. At least you made yourself clear, right or wrong, you have a reason for your doubts. With college players I try to watch their technique, ball placement and decision making/improvisational skills without allowing the quality of the competition to blur my vision. Doing so I see Luck performing very well. Let's hope that translates to the next level when things speed up and become terrifically more cerebral.

Next, the shadow of Peyton Manning looms very large. This isn't replacing JIm Harbaugh. It is replacing a true legend of the game. Here again I expect the man to try and force things to get out from under that shadow and I expect the results to be disappointing.

As has been touched on by many here, the boy must learn to deal with things like an angry fanbase and a vitriol spewing media. Look at Eli and what he's endured in NY. They couldn't decide whether to place all hope on that kid or chuck him into the Hudson. Now with two rings, they will still flip-flop on him as success and failure comes and goes.

Fourth, the Colts are a mess. He isn't going to get the kind of support that a young quarterback needs to flourish. Manning could carry this team but I see no reason to believe that some rookie ever could.

This is why I feel it is imperative that we retain some semblance of leadership (on the field) in the form of Manning. The transition for Luck would be far more beneficial to him if he isn't cast into the uncertain waters and told to swim before dipping his toes, so to speak.

In fact, I hope the man has the kind of solid Chad Pennington type career I expect him to have.

sarcasm_detector2.jpg

Chad could've been awesome if he wasn't made out of popsickle sticks. Wasn't he the only two-time NFL comeback player of the year? Sadly, no third award for that fella.

Don't get me wrong. I am not some kind of Andrew Luck hater. In fact, I hope the man has the kind of solid Chad Pennington type career I expect him to have.

Ah I see, well that clears it all up with the Chad Pennington comment. So you just simply want him to be injured all the time?

Ah I see, well that clears it all up with the Chad Pennington comment. So you just simply want him to be injured all the time?

Yeah, guilty as charged. I'm nothing but a sadist who loves to see people I don't know get hurt.

But seriously, if people would just treat the man realistically as a rookie with the potential to be a solid pro with none of this constant alloying the bronze for his Hall of Fame bust then I wouldn't have anything against him at all. The "best since >insert Hall of Fame quarterback here<" nonsense is really the thing that I object to.

Actually, the Hype jersey isn't intended as a slam at him in any way. It is intended as an insult to those who completely buy the hype surrounding him because they aren't really Luck fans at all in my opinion. They are Hype fans.

Yeah, guilty as charged. I'm nothing but a sadist who loves to see people I don't know get hurt.

But seriously, if people would just treat the man realistically as a rookie with the potential to be a solid pro with none of this constant alloying the brass for his Hall of Fame bust then I wouldn't have anything against him at all. The "best since >insert Hall of Fame quarterback here<" nonsense is really the thing that I object to.

Actually, the Hype jersey isn't intended as a slam at him in any way. It is intended as an insult to those who completely buy the hype surrounding him because they aren't really Luck fans at all in my opinion. They are Hype fans.

This part is not what people are saying is going to happen, they are elluding to the fact that he has graded out higher than every other prospect since Elway. Why is that a bad thing? And of course, there is going to be hype when a college player gets graded that much higher than any other prospect in 25+ yrs.. I just don't understand why it bothers you or anybody else so much. When somebody says "I just don't like the hype" it comes off as being jeolous and I have a really hard time understanding that.

This part is not what people are saying is going to happen, they are elluding to the fact that he has graded out higher than every other prospect since Elway. Why is that a bad thing? And of course, there is going to be hype when a college player gets graded that much higher than any other prospect in 25+ yrs.. I just don't understand why it bothers you or anybody else so much. When somebody says "I just don't like the hype" it comes off as being jeolous and I have a really hard time understanding that.

Because hype sets unrealistic expectations which almost always go unfulfilled. Actually, the one being treated most unfairly by all of this silliness is Andrew Luck, the real football player who only wants the shot he has dreamed of since he was a small boy.

Because hype sets unrealistic expectations which almost always go unfulfilled. Actually, the one being treated most unfairly by all of this silliness is Andrew Luck, the real football player who only wants the shot he has dreamed of since he was a small boy.

Exactly, so why not give him that chance instead of deaming him a bust before he even takes a snap in the NFL? He has worked his entire life to become the best he could and apparently he has done a pretty darn good job considering every scout and GM think so highly of him. He knows the expectations and im pretty confident that he'll meet and possibly exceed those expectations. If he doesn't, then oh well. You can't avoid drafting the best talent simply because he might fail. That is absurd.

If all is okay then why have we seen nothing? I mean this is real simple call a press conference Peyton and let's see...

If all is wrong then why have we seen nothing? I mean this is real simple call a press conference Irsay and announce he's been cut...

Maybe Irsay and Manning don't want to upstage the Combine. haha

How quickly they forget what you did for the organization, what you meant to the fan base, and what you meant to a city. You do everything for them and they just throw you away. I do believe both sides need to give ground and I can see where Irsay can't pay 28 million on unknowns but Manning needs to give ground too. Just think, would we even be having this conversation if Manning hadn't lost the entire 2011 season to injury?

I think it's just stupid how Manning and Irsay can't just have a press conference and tell everyone whats going on. It's just stupid to cause this kind of rift within your organization and your fanbase. It's called respect!

I don't believe that the PM decisions are even about money anymore.

1. Irsay wants to move entire team in new direction. Starting to look as though GM and HC were hired because neither one has any ties to PM and Irsay wanted guys that would have a problem giving him the axe if needed. (hoping this is not the case)

2. If both PM and Irsay agree on wanting to stay in Indy, then undoubtedly, an agreement could be reached. With an incentive laiden contract, PM could theoretically be signed right now. This makes me think that Irsay still on the fence about what direction to go.

3. If PM does return, the Colts will still chose Luck or another early round QB. By doing this and PM still being resigned, PM would be admitting the he IS being phased out and would he be willing to play on a team the is just looking for a reason to start the future QB?

My opinion for what its worth: If healthy, resign PM. trade first pick for multiple first round picks. Chose QB in draft that shows all the promise but could use and would be willing to take the tutoring for a couple years under PM (this I think would also solve the problem of stiil needing to sign a backup QB.) Chose a lights out receiver high in the draft, then focuse remaining picks on defense.

Still believe that keeping PM on the team, taking into account his medical progress, still gives us the best chance to win while keeping all involved happy.

Why do people doubt Peyton?

Age, Injury History, Lack of sufficient evidence of recovery.

That about covers it.

He's 36 and has 3 to 4 more years of playing time, he had no injury history prior to last year. I believe he played 13 years without missing a game so where's the history of injury. I believe there is evidence of recovery. The real issue is money. I guess you can't pay him 28 million without knowing he can play. That's the doubt right there. You can't pay a guy 28 million not knowing if he's healthy enough to play. I've come to grips with that. Now if Manning can't take a pay cut I'm good with that.

Why do people doubt Peyton?

Age, Injury History, Lack of sufficient evidence of recovery.

That about covers it.

age I can't agree with. His age has the least to do with it. he wins with brains and accuracy and has never needed the ability to scramble and make plays. This is where I think "age" would matter. Injury history I believe speaks for itself, NONE until this neck injury. I do however agree that we are still up in the air about recovery progress and its just human nature to speculate. we'll get the answer to all these questions in time.

I don't believe that the PM decisions are even about money anymore.

1. Irsay wants to move entire team in new direction. Starting to look as though GM and HC were hired because neither one has any ties to PM and Irsay wanted guys that would have a problem giving him the axe if needed. (hoping this is not the case)

2. If both PM and Irsay agree on wanting to stay in Indy, then undoubtedly, an agreement could be reached. With an incentive laiden contract, PM could theoretically be signed right now. This makes me think that Irsay still on the fence about what direction to go.

3. If PM does return, the Colts will still chose Luck or another early round QB. By doing this and PM still being resigned, PM would be admitting the he IS being phased out and would he be willing to play on a team the is just looking for a reason to start the future QB?

My opinion for what its worth: If healthy, resign PM. trade first pick for multiple first round picks. Chose QB in draft that shows all the promise but could use and would be willing to take the tutoring for a couple years under PM (this I think would also solve the problem of stiil needing to sign a backup QB.) Chose a lights out receiver high in the draft, then focuse remaining picks on defense.

Still believe that keeping PM on the team, taking into account his medical progress, still gives us the best chance to win while keeping all involved happy.

I am with ya, my friend. I have been saying this since we got the #1 overall pick but everyone is so quick to just say lets move on. Getting Manning to restructure a cap friendly deal is the best case situation if he's healthy. This gives us the best opportunity to reload without just cleaning house and let's you save face. Keeping Manning and drafting Luck doesn't address any of our concerns other than QB and were in a lot more trouble than just that position.

The fact is Mr. Irsay gave Peyton a larger contract than PM was asking for. Irsay new then that Peyton was going to have surgery and that even with a 100% healthy PM he would be in cap trouble. Mr. Irsay is a big boy and knows his financial situation better than any of us! PM and Mr. Irsay know PM's situation better than any of us and can make an intelligent decision based on their firsthand information. These same things have been argued over and over and the media and all the negative, so called Colts fans(you know the same team PM is still a part of) have been proven wrong constantly but will still keep coming up with falsified, & misinformation. If and when he is unable to perform his duties up to NFL or even his own standards then PM will be the first to acknowledge this. If Mr. Irsay and PM can't come to an agreement that is beneficial, & fair to both parties then they will part ways hopefully on good terms. PM and Mr. Irsay are working towards such a contract based on PM's nerve regeneration which as portrayed by eyewitnesses Bill Pollian, Joseph Addai, and Adam Vinateri is going well. So called Colts fans have got to see it to believe it but when they read all the unconfirmed garbage that's out there then that's gospel truth.