Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Can Sign Luck As Early As Friday

Coltswarriors

http://profootballta...soon-as-friday/

In past years, some first overall picks were signed to contracts before the draft actually began. Last year, due to the lockout, that was impossible.

This year, the presence of a rookie wage scale makes it much easier to get these deals done, since there’s no longer much — if anything — to negotiate.

Thus, the Colts could, in theory, sign the first overall pick long before the draft happens. NFL spokesman Greg Aiello tells us that the Colts could sign the top pick as of Friday, after a pair of coin flips lock in the draft order.

And so, theoretically, Andrew Luck and Peyton Manning could end up as teammates, after all. The Colts can sign Luck before they cut Manning.

With owner Jim Irsay clearly concerned about the P.R. issues relating to the departure of the team’s franchise quarterback, why not get the next franchise quarterback under contract before sending Peyton packing?

Is there any possibility this actually happens?

I see no conceivable benefit to the Colts. They have a brand new GM, who theoretically (assuming he actually plans to do all the homework that he is supposed to do) doesn't yet have sufficient information to make a decision. And that's ignoring the risk of Luck deciding to go bungy jumping without a cord in the meantime. There is a reason that after months of preparation, teams still spend their entire allotment of time on draft day deciding who to pick. The Colts should keep their options open as long as they possibly can. Neither Luck (nor the #1 overall pick) are going anywhere.

Seing as this now qualifies as responsible journalism some of you guys could end up being beat writers for PFT, the Indy Star or even ESPN.

These forums have higher standards. We can't post rumors as fact by saying " a source with information ..."

I see no conceivable benefit to the Colts. They have a brand new GM, who theoretically (assuming he actually plans to do all the homework that he is supposed to do) doesn't yet have sufficient information to make a decision. And that's ignoring the risk of Luck deciding to go bungy jumping without a cord in the meantime. There is a reason that after months of preparation, teams still spend their entire allotment of time on draft day deciding who to pick. The Colts should keep their options open as long as they possibly can. Neither Luck (nor the #1 overall pick) are going anywhere.

My understanding is that the Colts do not complete their final evaluations both scouting and medical before early April. If that is true and there is still more information to be had vis-a-vis Luck's health & the Team's Final report then I don't draft him until that time. Now between early April and draft day, no problem. If we get everything in and we're solid on the choice then yeah, sign him as soon as possible.

Part of me wants it to happen just to prove those people wrong when they said Luck and Peyton won't be on the same team

well they could do it, but theres no guarentee they will be on the same team. because then you have the sit and wait game with Manning to see if he comes back or not. and as i have stated like many others have stated and i believe you were one of them, cant really see manning coming back unless he accepts a 1 or 2 year deal at a very cheap price. and i dont think he will want that. and if they go to sign luck early before the draft luck may want it guarenteed that he is the starter come the first game of the year.

Not sure if this was directed at me or not.

I just found this and thought I'd post it over here for those that haven't seen it. Not really a big deal.

honestly it wasn't aimed at anyone in particular.

Signing him Friday would be extremely negligent and foolish.

I agree. Irsay likes to wait until the last possible minute to make a decision so he can have all the facts.

dont see whats the rush. let him work out going through all the evaluations and interviews then come draft day let him hear his name. WITH THE FIRST PICK OF THE 2012 NFL DRAFT, THE INDIANAPOLIS COLTS SELECT............. ANDREW LUCK, QB, STANFORD

well they could do it, but theres no guarentee they will be on the same team. because then you have the sit and wait game with Manning to see if he comes back or not. and as i have stated like many others have stated and i believe you were one of them, cant really see manning coming back unless he accepts a 1 or 2 year deal at a very cheap price. and i dont think he will want that. and if they go to sign luck early before the draft luck may want it guarenteed that he is the starter come the first game of the year.

Yeah, in the long run, it's questionable. But even to have them on the same team for a few days, just to technically prove the doubters wrong for a day or two haha

It would not be smart to sign him, but they could negotiate all the wrinkles and have the deal ready to go so it can be signed shortly after drafting him.

But they definitely would not want to sign him before the draft because what if something horrible happened like what happened to Burlsworth after the Colts drafted him. Then they would be stuck without the player and the draft pick.

Yeah, in the long run, it's questionable. But even to have them on the same team for a few days, just to technically prove the doubters wrong for a day or two haha

now that is very possible lol. manning and luck could be on the same team for what is it 2 weeks left? haha. so the ones who want them both on the same team will have their wish for a couple weeks, and the ones who dont will be in awe for 2 weeks lol

If we sign Luck early, do we get to use the first round pick on someone else, or does it still have to be Luck even though he will already be on the team?

I think the lawyers will make sure that there are conditionals that if not met, will make the contract null and void. I am thinking one of those conditionals is subject to the NFL's approval, which in turn will require the Colts to play by the NFL's draft rules.

Why? Everyone knows we are going to draft him so get it done.

Why? What all could happen to him between now and draft day?

Blown out knee? Rotator cuff? Car wreck, anything strange thing could happen. He might be the draft pick and we will likely work out the finer points of the contract even though the majority of that is slotted by the NFL, there is still no reason to ink him until right before or right after the draft.

Too much risk involved in working out a deal with him or anyone right now.

Why? Everyone knows we are going to draft him so get it done.

No plus side. If he gets hurt between now and draft and it is serious enough for us to pass on him then we would be SOL. And even if there was a claus that would let us out of it, why would he want to sign now. It just doesnt seem to make much sense.

Why? What all could happen to him between now and draft day?

Blown out knee? Rotator cuff? Car wreck, anything strange thing could happen. He might be the draft pick and we will likely work out the finer points of the contract even though the majority of that is slotted by the NFL, there is still no reason to ink him until right before or right after the draft.

Too much risk involved in working out a deal with him or anyone right now.

Agree.