Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What Have We Done To Improve Our Running Game

BleedingBlue

It seems Irsay has addressed everything we could hope for (and then some) but one thing I haven't seen any movement on is our running game. I wasn't happy with our ability to run in the last 3 seasons.

Have I missed anything that has improved upon this?

Well it's the offseason, there are no free agents at this point, they can't sign college players yet. Exactly, what kinds of improvement did you expect to see?

The most important thing would be to get a good O-line. A great O-line can make an average RB look very good, an average O-line can make a very good RB look good. We have Castonzo at LT and most likely Ijalana at RT. Pollak is in line to take over C once Saturday retires. That leaves the two guard positions (arguably the most important for running the ball). If we can get a guy like Carl Nicks, that would be wicked. If not, we will need to find talent through the draft. Thankfully, Grigs is a former O-lineman and knows what to look for.

The most important thing would be to get a good O-line. A great O-line can make an average RB look very good, an average O-line can make a very good RB look good. We have Castonzo at LT and most likely Ijalana at RT. Pollak is in line to take over C once Saturday retires. That leaves the two guard positions (arguably the most important for running the ball). If we can get a guy like Carl Nicks, that would be wicked. If not, we will need to find talent through the draft. Thankfully, Grigs is a former O-lineman and knows what to look for.

I agree that oline is important and I agree the Colts need guards (that is why I wanted the Colts to draft Hudson last year). Nicks would be a great pick up but NO is not going to let him go, teams just don't let young, multiple probowl talented players go.

A couple of lower tier players are Mathis (Philly) and Grubbs (Ravens) are both good prospects that won't be nearly as expensive. Mathis could be a reliable stop gap while the Colts develop a draft pick and Grubbs could be a long time starter at G.

I think the tackle position is set with AC and Big Ben. There are only a couple of guards in the draft that I think could be day one starters (and that does not inlcude Glenn who proved in the senior bowl that he can play tackle at the next level).

i think casto is too slow to run block, i was not impressed with him

i think casto is too slow to run block, i was not impressed with him

Your interior O-linemen are used more for the running game. Nose dives with the C and Gs working together, or pulling the guard on a stretch play to the outside. Tackles usually set the edge. They make sure their defender doesn't stay parallel to the RB; they aren't usually pulled like guards are.

You are about the only person in the football world who was not impressed with AC.

I only know what I saw he gave up a lot of sacks, suggs ran right around him and sacked our qb, as did others , not worth a first pick, he is too slow to run block, that is why we ran up the middle or to the right most times, he may get better, but not overpowering as a first pick should be, HE IS NO MATT LIGHT just an average LT, our new coach may not start him.

I think the tackle position is set with AC and Big Ben. There are only a couple of guards in the draft that I think could be day one starters (and that does not inlcude Glenn who proved in the senior bowl that he can play tackle at the next level).

I think AC is legit, no Glenn yet but he looks good. I'm reserving judgement on Ben. He played against sub par talent in college and lasted, what a quarter, before he was hurt for the season.

With that said, I thought DB finally showed up and the running game was better than in 10.

I only know what I saw he gave up a lot of sacks, suggs ran right around him and sacked our qb, as did others

I happen to keep track of sacks because, well I'm an olineman nerd, AC gave up 4 sacks all season and two were to Suggs. That is very impressive for a rookie LT
not worth a first pick,
Not only did he prove worthy of a 1st round pick, but he played better than either tackle taken ahead of him in Smith and Solder.
he is too slow to run block,
Too slow how?
that is why we ran up the middle or to the right most times,
This is one of those statements that is complete hokum. One, if a team was completely balanced in their running they would run 1/3 the time to the left, 1/3 to the right and 1/3 up the middle. So by default a completely balanced team would run, not only more up the middle and to the right, but twice as much. Plusm the facts don't support that theory. According to NFL.com (not an all inclusive source but one I could find on short notice that has stats for 2011) the Colts had the fewest negative yards running to the left, 20 1st down (23 on the right 26 center) and a pwr rating of 75 of the left, 31 in the center and 70 on the right. The power rating is telling because it is. "Rush Pwr = Percentage of rushes on 3rd or 4th down with 2 or fewer yards to go that achieved a first down or TD. Also includes rushes on 1st-and-goal and 2nd-and-goal from the opponent's 2-yard line or closer." Not to mention the fact that most teams run to the right (it's because most people are right handed)
he may get better
I can guarantee it.
but not overpowering as a first pick should be,
In your opinion he's not, but what I saw he had plenty enough power.
HE IS NO MATT LIGHT just an average LT, our new coach may not start him.
One you are really going to try to compare a rook to an 11 year veteran? Two, I'm glad, Light has given up an average of 7 sacks per year for the last several years even though he gets helped a lot by the quick passing game and a RB or TE.

I think AC is legit, no Glenn yet but he looks good. I'm reserving judgement on Ben. He played against sub par talent in college and lasted, what a quarter, before he was hurt for the season.

I'm not too worried about Ben's injury, he never missed a game in college because of injury so he's not injury prone and it was a pretty freak thing. He may have played against lesser talent, and I was not impressed with him during the preseason, but I was very impressed with him in the Tampa game. He showed there that he can play and has the strength to handle NFL lineman one on one.
With that said, I thought DB finally showed up and the running game was better than in 10.

I agree DB looked good later in the year and a lot of that had to do with A) the line improving b) having a running game more suited to DB skills. They did a lot of man blocking later in the season so the hole was at a designated spot and then a few times a FB was in that hole first to clear it out 2-3 yards down the field. That plays into DB strengths and it started to show.

My initial question still stands. What kind of improvement could we, as fans, possibly see at this point in the off season?

And your question should remain unanswered, as it's not the time of year to be expecting any changes.

However, I'm certain the question was rhetorical, but I decided to answer anyway in order to support your point.

We can re-address beginning March 13th.

What linemen do you guys see us drafting. Whats the first decent guy left by the time we go again. Do you think we get a Martin or Adams (ohio st)?

Think we'll go for a RB down the line? I like addai but he has no speed to the hole. Big fan of Donald Brown but not sure hes the ticket either. I actually liked Edges cousin. low avg but he was quick to the hole. If so, who do you see us grabbing?

Reality is that PM has been our QB and Jeff Saturday is his main guy on the line. Jeff never was a mauler, and his run blocking skills have eroded in the last 4 years. We have had so many injuries, which could be attributed to a degree to the former strength and conditioning coaches, that our oline was like a darn spoof of musical chairs. I saw a little daylight in the running game at times last season, but it never blossomed because teams were able to frustrate any QB we had under center. We had to throw to have any chance last season.

Consistent QB play, less oline injuries, jell time for our new oline, and a younger center who can pull and maul....and Addai and Brown would make doubters look foolish. I am convinced that this new GM and HC will place a premium on FA and the draft in April to improve the line considerably. Get ready for regular 100 yard rushing games next season. :omg:

Only thing that solves our running game problem is talent on the O-line. If you look around the NFL, running backs seem to be interchangeable and lots of them can be successful in a lot of different kinds of offenses. But you need to have blocking, which we have not had for the last few years.

Polian consistently failed to address the OL with any sense of urgency. How in the world we could have turned out the O-lines we have in the last couple of years knowing our weakness there is beyond me. It didn't help our passing game either, too many rushed passes, short routes because of pressure. But we still went with underperforming draft picks (Pollack, Richards) and rookie undrafted free agents (Reitz, Link-to-a-sack). I know he hated free agency, but we needed and still need an immediate talent upgrade. New guards, and likely we will need a new center, would be a start- and picking up a decent veteran free agent would be a good start at one or maybe two of those spots.

I only know what I saw he gave up a lot of sacks, suggs ran right around him and sacked our qb, as did others , not worth a first pick, he is too slow to run block, that is why we ran up the middle or to the right most times, he may get better, but not overpowering as a first pick should be, HE IS NO MATT LIGHT just an average LT, our new coach may not start him.

so since the defensive player of the year ran past our injured rookie lineman, and sacked our terrible QB who holds onto the ball for far too long...he must be a bust!

Brilliant! :loco:

I think with hiring Arians as your OC it atleast shows that the Colts will redefine their offensive image post 18. That's all it took in Denver, just commit to running first.

Arians is pretty much a pass first guy...not sure if you got the chance to catch any Steelers games this past year, but since Arians got there, they threw a lot more...thats why Ben was upset when he left....he was also Peyton's QB coach here, his first few years in the NFL and he trained under Tom Moore. He likes to run a lot of 5 WR sets, too.

What no love for Big Joe Reitz? Dude came out of nowhere and was a basketball player in college. That means he has yet to hit his ceiling and in my view could potentially be a solid guard for years to come. I have him penciled in as a starter next year. If we can get Grubbs we'd be pretty much set.

I'm with you on this. I have him down for a starting spot next season.

On changes for run game:

How the heck can you be dissapointed or whatever for no changes?! It's february for crying out loud.

Grubbs is not going to be available.

Luckily, interior OL is deep and with quality in this coming draft.

I haven't seen any movement on is our running game. I wasn't happy with our ability to run in the last 3 seasons.

I thought that the Colts ability to run the ball was one of the few bright spots of the season - particularly considering the fact that no opponent had to be particularly concerned with stopping the pass. I'm not sure why you're lumping the three seasons together.

And exactly what other position issues has Irsay "addressed" if in your view the running game has been neglected?. He fired the GM and coaching staff - which may have been what "we" hoped for, but certainly wasn't on my personal list of priorities. Not a single personnel move (aside from bringing in the usually assortment of training camp extras) has even happened yet. How about re-visiting this in late August.

It seems Irsay has addressed everything we could hope for (and then some) but one thing I haven't seen any movement on is our running game. I wasn't happy with our ability to run in the last 3 seasons.

Have I missed anything that has improved upon this?

Uh, we drafted 2 OLmen high last year, remember?

And I agree, its not the time to really be bringing in "talent". Although we did bring in that center.

We've been focusing on coaches, which has taken up most of the attention and the new GM (I'm sure) is evaluating that as we speak.

I'm sure we'll be seeing some interesting additions at OL and Carter showed some good signs last year.

Plus, if we do draft Luck, that will also improve our running game I feel over what Peyton could do. Luck has shown he's pretty good (similar to rogers) at picking up yards when the defense provides the gaps. Plus, Luck had NO problem handing the ball off in college so i would expect that to continue if he's allowed to call some plays at the line which he's shown (unlike other college QBs) to be able to handle that (similar to peyton).

I do agree with you, I hope we do improve and place priority on improving the running game. The fact that the new coach came from baltimore gives me hope he will place a high priority on improving the running game as well as defending the run. Its what that division was built on, and I'm sure its second-nature to him to focus on that.

Its a passing league now. Running the ball will help you control and close-out a game but the passing game still gives you a better chance to WIN the game.

I'm excited to see what happens.

Change is opportunity i feel.

Arians is pretty much a pass first guy...not sure if you got the chance to catch any Steelers games this past year, but since Arians got there, they threw a lot more...thats why Ben was upset when he left....he was also Peyton's QB coach here, his first few years in the NFL and he trained under Tom Moore. He likes to run a lot of 5 WR sets, too.

I'm smack-dab in steeler country.

Part of the reason the Steelers got away from the run has been bad OL play and every year they seem to lose 2 or 3 RBs due to injuries.

I wouldn't place too much into Pitt getting away from the run and Pittsburgh's switch to more passing.

Even the Ravens were passing more last year.

The rules have made passing easier and it has become a "big play" league. It seems that its easier for defense to stop the run than to cover receivers. (except for our defense, of couse)

But then again, our defense was built for the pass, not so much to defend the run. I expect us to continue to get bigger on defense and "redesign" our defense to play better against the run.

at least I hope so.

I haven't been impressed with the running game since D.R and Addai (his rookie year) tore it up. Yep the year the Colts won the SB. I definitely enjoyed the Edge era as well, so yeah it's been years since I've been happy with the run game. 2007 was solid as well but the 2006 season, I was thrilled. Addai had 2 great years, I thought he was going to be like mini edge. Unfortunately the constant injuries have wrecked his career thus far.

Still a solid player, definitely not putting the blame on him by any means. It's definitely a combination of many factors.

What no love for Big Joe Reitz? Dude came out of nowhere and was a basketball player in college.

He didn't exactly come from no where. He was on the Colts practice squad for most of 2010 and was on Balt. practice squad before that.
That means he has yet to hit his ceiling and in my view could potentially be a solid guard for years to come. I have him penciled in as a starter next year. If we can get Grubbs we'd be pretty much set.

It was hard to get a read on him because of injuries, playing next to another rookie and the entire mess that was the oline for 5 weeks after the Tampa game. IMO, he showed some nice flashes, he didn't play as strong as I would have suspected for someone of his build, that may have been because he was learning and just hesitant (he was listed as a RT while on the PS).

Last offseason when they talked about Diem at guard, I thought Reitz was going to take over at RT and I am definitely excited about seeing him this year to look for improvement.

I know its February, but I can't keep harping on the PM/JI topic, and I wanted to know what some of the OL experts around here thought of the upcoming draft.

Its a passing league but a running game helps you

a. seal the end with clock management

b. set up your passing game.

c. give you third and shorts

d. keep the defense off the field.

Yes, I like Carter too. Hope he gets more touches in '12.

I didn't see much from our '11 draft picks, AC and BI but I'm no expert.

I'm smack-dab in steeler country.

Part of the reason the Steelers got away from the run has been bad OL play and every year they seem to lose 2 or 3 RBs due to injuries.

I wouldn't place too much into Pitt getting away from the run and Pittsburgh's switch to more passing.

Even the Ravens were passing more last year.

The rules have made passing easier and it has become a "big play" league. It seems that its easier for defense to stop the run than to cover receivers. (except for our defense, of couse)

But then again, our defense was built for the pass, not so much to defend the run. I expect us to continue to get bigger on defense and "redesign" our defense to play better against the run.

at least I hope so.

while all of that very well may be true, Arians learned under Tom Moore and started out with Peyton Manning/Colts...and his play calling reflects that.

I'm just saying that the people who think of the Steelers as a smash mouth run first team, and associate Arians with that since he was a Steeler last year, are going to be in for an awakening when they realize that he's not that type of play caller...and i'm fine with that. You play to your strengths if you want to be successful, and if we have Peyton and/or Luck, our strength will be the QB

Well, we did do one thing that made a huge difference in our running game. When Manning was our QB, our lineman always started in a pass blocking 2 point stance even when we ran. This is why they were always blown off the line. When Painter became the QB we changed to a 3pt stance and the running game did improve.