Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Irsays Breaking News...wants Peyton Back *if* ((Merged))

Peyton and Eli fan

Quotes Jim as saying "We can make it work if he wants to be here’’

He also states, “I want him to be able to make the choice. We would love to have him back here if he can get healthy and we can look at doing a contract that reflects the uncertainty of the . . . healing process with the regeneration of the nerve.’’

Jim wants a renegotiated contract and a healthy PM.

Does that mean he will be cut? Can the current contract be reworked in its first year, and what would the implications on the $28m bonus be?

link: http://www.indystar.com/article/20120214/SPORTS03/120214035/Irsay-Manning-We-can-make-work-?odyssey=mod|breaking|text|IndyStar.com

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quotes Jim as saying "We can make it work if he wants to be here’’

He also states, “I want him to be able to make the choice. We would love to have him back here if he can get healthy and we can look at doing a contract that reflects the uncertainty of the . . . healing process with the regeneration of the nerve.’’

Jim wants a renegotiated contract and a healthy PM.

Does that mean he will be cut? Can the current contract be reworked in its first year, and what would the implications on the $28m bonus be?

link: http://www.indystar....xt|IndyStar.com

I do not believe that the contract can be reworked until several days after the $28 mil. bonus is due. Manning would have to be cut and then be willing to resign with the Colts.

Someone else might have said it already because i didnt read all the posts but basically to me this means they are going to cut him, and then he is free to re-sign a more cap friendly contract with the Colts. Irsay is basically saying he wants Manning back but it will be up to Manning after they cut him. He can choose to sign anywhere else or re-sign with the Colts.

It is Irsay doing PR spin to put the onus on PM to renegotiate to stay. Irsay will not be seen as the bad guy if PM does not renegotiate.

This is exactly how I read it too. It almost certainly means (IMO) Manning wont be back on the current contract.

It is Irsay doing PR spin to put the onus on PM to renegotiate to stay. Irsay will not be seen as the bad guy if PM does not renegotiate.

that depends on who you ask as i am sure you know :)

i've heard manning say he would like to retire as a colt. i have never heard him say he will retire as a colt. if he had, i'd believe him

I fully expect a response from PM's camp, preferably Tom Condon saying something to the effect of:

We welcome Mr. Irsay's kind offer to renegotiate the current contract between PM and the Colts. However, any renegotiations must account for what PM has done for the team and the city, and recognize his franchise QB status going forward. We thought we had such a contract in the current contract. We would be interested to know what Mr. Irsay has in mind now with any new contract that will incorporate these things. If we do not see equivalence, we must decline renegotiation, and allow the Colts to make up their minds whether they really want PM or not. If not, this will allow PM to seek employment elsewhere, where another NFL team will recognize the value of PM.

I see more back and forth along these lines. Nothing new.

I do not believe that the contract can be reworked until several days after the $28 mil. bonus is due. Manning would have to be cut and then be willing to resign with the Colts.

I've heard different and I've heard Irsay believes it can be done. No I cannot divulge my sources.

I've heard different and I've heard Irsay believes it can be done. No I cannot divulge my sources.

Im pretty sure the contract cannot be reworked under the new CBA. He has to be cut and resigned. I might be wrong though.

Edit: Cut and resigned before the deadline.

This has probably been discussed, but I'll ask anyway - Who decides if Peyton is "healthy"?

He's 'healthy' now, but not throwing at 100% according to most sources. Let's say he's at 80% velocity. Is that 'healthy'?

80% may be healthy but you have to put the 28mill bonus into perspective. Is 80% velocity worth a 28mill risk? Compare that to maybe if Manning was only getting 8mill. But I cant say I dont know.

rehashing what we have been hearing all along

actually this is just PR on irsay's part to mimimize the damage when peyton is eventually released

Or maybe it is Irsay being genuine that he wants PM back but can't take the risk of the current contract as it presently is.

This has been an ongoing debate, and there is some gray area, but it seems as if the deal can be reworked. I know some will disagree with me, but it all depends on how it is couched.

Also, cutting PM and signing him back is not a good scenario for this year because he will have a $10.4 million cap hit when cut. Unless, of course, they can get him to agree to play for under $7 million this year which I highly doubt would happen.

I fully expect a response from PM's camp, preferably Tom Condon saying something to the effect of:

We welcome Mr. Irsay's kind offer to renegotiate the current contract between PM and the Colts. However, any renegotiations must account for what PM has done for the team and the city, and recognize his franchise QB status going forward. We thought we had such a contract in the current contract. We would be interested to know what Mr. Irsay has in mind now with any new contract that will incorporate these things. If we do not see equivalence, we must decline renegotiation, and allow the Colts to make up their minds whether they really want PM or not. If not, this will allow PM to seek employment elsewhere, where another NFL team will recognize the value of PM.

Well he did get 26 mil to take last season off.

This has probably been discussed, but I'll ask anyway - Who decides if Peyton is "healthy"?

He's 'healthy' now, but not throwing at 100% according to most sources. Let's say he's at 80% velocity. Is that 'healthy'?

The person who decides if PM is healthy, is the person who will be paying the $28MM option bonus.

How many days ago did Peyton say he'd sign a contract similar to what Irsay is talking about?

That was speculation right? Didn't Peyton come out and refute that or at least semi shoot it down.

When asked about the report, PM laughed and stated that reporter sometimes do not accurately report things.

That's like saying water is wet.

Making decision up to Peyton not as simple as seems & may be a ploy of Irsays,

Its still wait and see

this simply makes official what Irsay said a month back before all the drama, sorry dont have the link, He is putting it on Peyton to decide to

1. take less money, thats fine , always expected and peyton made plenty, unless he makes the restructure really stupid as to be insulting to ensure reason # 2 as many have suggested in various articles in past

2. he is doing it to make sure he as a preemptive strike for history sake that he isnt listed as the 1 to release manning, He saying u play for this much less, & u have to agree that we rebuilt with u and now u have to stay as we rebuild around another QB, teach that QB, and share reps with that QB

Peyton may find it hard to share reps for 1st time when he hasnt played competively for ages & needs all the reps he can get himself

He just may be forciing Peyton Out, we really dont know what he has to say to peyton and what peyton will accept

Also a restructure is legal, if considered a renegotiation under new CBA it is illegal , players and owners lawyers may get involved if Peyton accepts as may make a precedent of what is considered a renegotiation Vs a restructure & each may or may not like that for future implicatiuons with other player contracts if things change in their status

Making decision up to Peyton not as simple as seems & may be a ploy of Irsays, Its still wait and see

this simply makes official what Irsay said a month back before all the drama, sorry dont have the link, He is putting it on Peyton to decide to

1. take less money, thats fine , always expected and peyton made plenty, unless he makes the restructure really stupid as to be insulting to ensure reason # 2 as many have suggested in various articles in past

2. he is doing it to make sure he as a preemptive strike for history sake that he isnt listed as the 1 to release manning, He saying u play for this much less, & u have to agree that we rebuilt with u and now u have to stay as we rebuild around another QB, teach that QB, and share reps with that QB

Peyton may find it hard to share reps for 1st time when he hasnt played competively for ages & needs all the reps he can get himself

He just may be forciing Peyton Out, we really dont know what he has to say to peyton and what peyton will accept

Irsay is merely fighting fire with fire in the media statements from both parties.

This is the politician/campaigning reference to which Irsay meant earlier.

1) Eggshells, not a place that is good for healing

2) Politician, campaigning, keep in in house

3) Joint statement....love each other

4) If healthy, PM will be a Colt

5) Medical clearance to play football from neurosurgeons on the fusion

6) Tweet...not cleared by the Colts!

7) PM can be a Colt if he wants to be....

8) If he wants to be means he will agree to restructure contract to reflect the uncertainty about his arm

And I have not included all the talking heads that have reported things without identifying their sources!

Good, but I don't think it means much. I don't think he ever didn't want him.

Peyton wants to come back and Irsay wants him back, that's a good sign. Hopefully he gets healthy in time, and Irsay gives him the bonus. I don't think this should be breaking news, but it's nice to hear.

Good, but I don't think it means much. I don't think he ever didn't want him.

Peyton wants to come back and Irsay wants him back, that's a good sign. Hopefully he gets healthy in time, and Irsay gives him the bonus. I don't think this should be breaking news, but it's nice to hear.

Do you see the conditional requirement that Irsay has imposed on PM's return?

Ok so let's say Manning does renegotiate his contract, but at the same time they still want Luck. I've kind of jumped off the bandwagon of having both. You can't really say, "Manning we will resign you for a 2 year contract just to mentor Luck.". How would it be beneficial to have both??? If we resigned Peyton & had Luck how could they build a SB caliber team in the next 2 years, who knows if Luck would even want to wait 2 years?? I just can't fathom having Manning around for 2 years, win a SB, then put in Luck. I think it's either build a SB caliber team for Manning, trade Luck OR keep Luck and prep for the future. Just IMO, perhaps there is a way to keep both, win a SB or have a caliber of team that can (with Manning) and appease Luck (somehow). It seems all but impossible for me unless Luck is willing to sit for 4 years. If Luck is willing to sit for 4 years then he wouldn't pull a power play anyways. Luck has said he doesn't want to be involved in any way with Manning being or not being a Colt. In the end I think it's one or the other.

I really wish Irsay didnt make those comments. He is essentially playing the PR game and trying to turn this all on Peyton. Jim should remember his words about making the horseshoe look bad because saying things like he said today to back the greatest QB of all time into a corner is not the way to play this out.

I hope Peyton comes back is healthy and retires a colt. Anyway the sooner this circus is over the better for everyone involved and that includes us fans.

GO COLTS

Ok so let's say Manning does renegotiate his contract, but at the same time they still want Luck. I've kind of jumped off the bandwagon of having both. You can't really say, "Manning we will resign you for a 2 year contract just to mentor Luck.". How would it be beneficial to have both??? If we resigned Peyton & had Luck how could they build a SB caliber team in the next 2 years, who knows if Luck would even want to wait 2 years?? I just can't fathom having Manning around for 2 years, win a SB, then put in Luck. I think it's either build a SB caliber team for Manning, trade Luck OR keep Luck and prep for the future. Just IMO, perhaps there is a way to keep both, win a SB or have a caliber of team that can (with Manning) and appease Luck (somehow). It seems all but impossible for me unless Luck is willing to sit for 4 years. If Luck is willing to sit for 4 years then he wouldn't pull a power play anyways. Luck has said he doesn't want to be involved in any way with Manning being or not being a Colt. In the end I think it's one or the other.

I agree with you that it will be one or the other.

I think what we are all seeing is just the fine steps and plays that are sometimes necessary to arrive at the conclusion. I fully expect additional posturing and press releases from both sides before the conclusion can be had.

Making decision up to Peyton not as simple as seems & may be a ploy of Irsays,

Its still wait and see

Also a restructure is legal, if considered a renegotiation under new CBA it is illegal , players and owners lawyers may get involved if Peyton accepts as may make a precedent of what is considered a renegotiation Vs a restructure & each may or may not like that for future implicatiuons with other player contracts if things change in their status

Irsay is merely fighting fire with fire in the media statements from both parties.

This is the politician/campaigning reference to which Irsay meant earlier.

1) Eggshells, not a place that is good for healing

2) Politician, campaigning, keep in in house

3) Joint statement....love each other

4) If healthy, PM will be a Colt

5) Medical clearance to play football from neurosurgeons on the fusion

6) Tweet...not cleared by the Colts!

7) PM can be a Colt if he wants to be....

8) If he wants to be means he will agree to restructure contract to reflect the uncertainty about his arm

And I have not included all the talking heads that have reported things without identifying their sources!

I hope u know i was agreeing with u , not sure from your responce but think u do

BTW love your ID name