Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Irsays Breaking News...wants Peyton Back *if* ((Merged))

Peyton and Eli fan

You are mistaken, I shoot down any information that is not substantiated, both positive and negative.

I have already said that the sources of the SI article could be lies.

From the information directly from Mr. Irsay and Peyton, I know the situation. From Mr. Irsay's most recent communication on what "healthy" and what "wants to be a Colt" means to him, I know that the Colts will not be paying the $28MM option bonus due March 8.

No, you are inferring. Did Irsay explicitly say the contract had to be reworked? No. Just like Manning didn't explicitly say he would or wouldn't restructure. Nobody knows. Also, you responded multiple times in the SI thread discussing the news from the "sources" that he may need more surgery, only admitting that it could be a lie when another poster pointed it out.

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, you are inferring. Did Irsay explicitly say the contract had to be reworked? No. Just like Manning didn't explicitly say he would or wouldn't restructure. Nobody knows. Also, you responded multiple times in the SI thread discussing the news from the "sources" that he may need more surgery, only admitting that it could be a lie when another poster pointed it out.

Wow, I guess I completely missed where Irsay DID, in fact, say the contract must be reworked. That's complete hypocrisy on his part. I lost a lot of respect for him with that comment.

From the information directly from Mr. Irsay and Peyton, I know the situation. From Mr. Irsay's most recent communication on what "healthy" and what "wants to be a Colt" means to him, I know that the Colts will not be paying the $28MM option bonus due March 8.

what do u then think this means Re contract restructuring as per Irsay

" we can look at doing a contract that reflects the uncertainty of the . . . healing process with the regeneration of the nerve."

As the stars Chappell article notes same article I got the above line from in Their Opinion

Any new contract with the Colts undoubtedly would be incentive-laden and tied to playing time.

My Take

Yes these are just opinions but Irsay is sure indicating such by his statements , whether he is posturing for negotiating sake is possible but this should not be played out publicly and from what every sports.com take article i have read all seem to agree no 28 million & take way less

http://www.indystar....TS03/120214035/

what do u then think this means Re contract restructuring as per Irsay

" we can look at doing a contract that reflects the uncertainty of the . . . healing process with the regeneration of the nerve."

As the stars Chappell article notes same article I got the above line from in Their Opinion

Any new contract with the Colts undoubtedly would be incentive-laden and tied to playing time.

My Take

Yes these are just opinions but Irsay is sure indicating such by his statements , whether he is posturing for negotiating sake is possible but this should not be played out publicly and from what every sports.com take article i have read all seem to agree no 28 million & take way less

http://www.indystar....TS03/120214035/

also from what every sports.com ( see below for example ) place u look at and take from their article i have read alot all seem to agree no 28 million & take much less

Yahoo sports

“It’s going to be Peyton’s call,” Irsay told ESPN.

Sure, Peyton’s call to agree to Irsay’s renegotiated contract demands.

( according to the articles take, their words not mine )

http://bleacherrepor...ianapolis-colts

I have few doubts the reason things are progressing the way they are-

Healing is moving forward, but too slow to project % health by training camp/beginning of the season at this point

Wish to gauge progress from an earlier point until just before "B" day (option bonus day) to determine risk to continue the contract

If contract discontinued due to excessive (financial value) risk, then ability to renegotiate based upon incentives - pay for play.

People are upset because the see just the money part. they mention Irsay said Manning would be highest paid player in the NFL. Manning received 26.4 real dollars and never took a snap. Show me a player, any player that received more: whether they played or didn't. If none, then Jim did what he said. Nothing says he has to do it as long as Manning and his agent want it. IMHO, I feel Peyton did deserve it for all he has done previously. But it's even stevens (pardon the idiom) now. The remainder of the contract is for a fully 100% Peyton at Elite Level. That is ???

It's been said Manning put the 28 million option bonus out clause in the contract in case of the unthinkable. Well, the unthinkable has happened. He never played, team sank to the depths and put the Colts in possession of the #1 draft pick. Can he be upset the Colts now may wish to exercise it? Is he upset the Colts want to create a new contract based upon new circumstances? If he feels it's a raw deal, then the Free Agent status he has allows him to deal with all teams and the highest bidder. Believe me, he will be heavily scrutinized by other teams before they make cap room and offer up the $$. Other teams do have the advantage of waiting longer for Peyton's rehab to progress further (to a certain degree of course, they also have to have their QB situation somewhat settled by camp too) and they don't carry Manning's 10.4 million cap hit that the Colts will have to do if they release him.

Still, I think there is so much to this that both sides leaked so we would all be doing what we are doing- hashing it out and speculation of every nuance. That way, when they finally do walk out together when the decision is final, fans won't be blindsided. No matter which way the river turns.

Yes, I've seen all the numbers and from a pure business standpoint, it does not appear that Manning will be paid his option bonus. Also, there isn't any indication the Colts can compete in a free agent contract war (10.4 million behind the eight ball to begin with). Yet, I truly believe Irasy and Manning will try everything to come to some consensus where he stays. Not that it will happen, as it appears the odds are stacked against it. But, they will try, and if they both are truly sincere, something just may get done. However, Time tells the truth.

And, I truly respect most all of the opinions people are posting. Not in agreement with all of them, just respect them and try to see from their shoes. At some point all of the will pass, and the Colts, and us fans, will move forward. :)

And, I truly respect most all of the opinions people are posting. Not in agreement with all of them, just respect them

and try to see from their shoes. At some point all of the will pass, and the Colts, and us fans, will move forward. :)

That is the key for all to getting along , never have to agree with each opinion, are so many would be impossible , just respect its someones right to have and try ones best to post as best a diplomatic ( Politician ) ( LOL ) responce

The colts cannot and should not pay the $28 million option. That seems obvious.

Firstly, the unknown issues around his recovery makes it a very poor business move.

But even if Peyton showed up tomorrow 100% healthy, with his laser-rocket arm firing on all cylinders and the spring of youth in his step, the Colts still would say "No, let's renegotiate." The Colts are simply not prepared to commit to the four years left to run on that contract. They are taking Luck and he is the QB of the (near) future.

I have seen some characterization of Irsay's recent comments about restructuring the deal (I can't find a link with that specific quote) that Irsay was looking at Peyton coming back for one year to show Luck the ropes and then retire. Sort of like a "farewell tour". Well, if Peyton comes back and plays for a year, that would indicate that he is healthy and therefore probably not interested in retiring. So we would just go through all this again next year.

The best bet for both parties appears to be to part company. The Colts are rebuilding and they should just bite the bullet and start Luck from Day One. A healthy Peyton should go somewhere else where he has a shot at winning another championship.

Sure Irsay said (months ago) that if Peyton was healthy he would play for the Colts and Peyton has said repeatedly that he wants to retire a Colt. But things change. Once Irsay cleaned house and decided on a rebuild, the circumstances made that impossible.

There doesn't have to be a bad guy here - If both parties would just start talking to each other directly, instead of playing games in the media.

How many times must I post what I have posted many times now?

The only reliable sources IMO, are Mr. Irsay, Peyton, Tom Condon, and the Colt's doctors, trainers and coaches that superintend Peyton's rehab.

Lacking direct information from the above reliable sources, we will, from time to time receive information from other reports. We should consider them with large amounts of salt, as I have done.

..... Follow up with last post didn't he even have to heal a month or two before rehab started so he's really only had 3 to 4 months to rehab... We are talking 5 more month of potential rehab that is in an advance stages of rehab, not the "walking" part... More I think about it more I feel Manning will be better, and Irsay is just wanting to go into rebuild mode too bad... I don't think it's about money... I think it's just Irsay got his new young stud and wants to call all out...

If PM needs more time to rehab, why isn't he wanting to push the option exercise date back?

How do you know he isn't?

I don't. However I do know that March 8 is 21 days away, and no announcement has been made prior to what Mr. Irsay said yesterday. This leads me to believe that PM has not agreed to pushing the exercise date back before then, otherwise Mr. Irsay would have mentioned it. Pushing back the date benefits the Colts because it keeps their options open longer.