Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

This needs to be said...

Indeee

I sincerely feel bad for these guys all across the league that constantly get waived, released and then brought back over and over and over again. It has to be extremely difficult to go through. Constantly catching plane flights I'm guessing, putting their other life on hold, whatever... It might be nature of the biz, but from the human side it sucks

How does player pinball actually work anyway? Do these guys get paid by the game? or what if they are inactive? 

This has honestly always boggled my mind and truthfully I feel bad for these guys.

It depends on a few factors. You get paid per week on the PS, and per game on the active roster, UNLESS you are signed from one teams PS, to another teams active roster, then you get 3 weeks pay regardless of how long they keep you. 

And its part of the life they choose to have. They can decline to sign at any time. Gotta be used to flying a lot anyways as a football player. Not like all the games are in the same stadium.

I feel bad for the families of the players, cuz I know its rough on them more than anyone, but they are well taken care of at least. I know im not making anywhere close to $7200/week (practice squad minimum), so its hard to feel bad for them for having to fly a lot for work. 

This is so soft, the perspective as beautiful & thoughtful as it may be is appreciated but to think "this needs to be said" is over the top. This is a life they signed up for. Same as the one you chose came with some positives & negatives

11 minutes ago, SaturdayAllDay said:

It depends on a few factors. You get paid per week on the PS, and per game on the active roster, UNLESS you are signed from one teams PS, to another teams active roster, then you get 3 weeks pay regardless of how long they keep you. 

And its part of the life they choose to have. They can decline to sign at any time. Gotta be used to flying a lot anyways as a football player. Not like all the games are in the same stadium.

I feel bad for the families of the players, cuz I know its rough on them more than anyone, but they are well taken care of at least. I know im not making anywhere close to $7200/week (practice squad minimum), so its hard to feel bad for them for having to fly a lot for work. 

But do they get medical benefits from anyone (league/union) if they're not signed?  I know they do if they are, but who pays/supplements the income if little baby needs surgery?  I honestly do not know??

4 minutes ago, MB-ColtsFan said:

But do they get medical benefits from anyone (league/union) if they're not signed?  I know they do if they are, but who pays/supplements the income if little baby needs surgery?  I honestly do not know??

I think since they are all under the NFLPA union they should all get some kind of coverage. Not 100% sure tbh. Im Canadian so stuff like that doesnt really cross my mind. 

1 hour ago, SaturdayAllDay said:

They can go play for the CFL, probably get a guaranteed contract for that much, or more. But they want to be in the NFL. This is what they sign up for.

I know it's not easy, but I don't really feel sorry for them. It's entirely voluntary. Some might be exploited, some might be misled by agents and teams, some might not understand what exactly they're committing to, etc., and that's awful. But they're all chasing the dream.

20 minutes ago, Superman said:

They can go play for the CFL, probably get a guaranteed contract for that much, or more. But they want to be in the NFL. This is what they sign up for.

I know it's not easy, but I don't really feel sorry for them. It's entirely voluntary. Some might be exploited, some might be misled by agents and teams, some might not understand what exactly they're committing to, etc., and that's awful. But they're all chasing the dream.

Its possible but I wouldnt bet on it. Average yearly salary in CFL is around 80-100k. Entire team salary cap is only 5.15M. Minimum is set at 53k as of 2017. I know CFL players that have 2nd jobs in the offseason. They would have to be a CFL superstar out of the gate to get serious money. 

It only takes 14 weeks on an NFL PS to earn as much as the average player on a CFL roster does in a yr. Thats also assuming that the player on the PS is only making the minimum, which isnt always the case, and they never get elevated to the regular roster at all during the year. 

CFL season is longer as well (20 weeks, 18 games for regular season) so the amount per game is even lower. Thats why DE John Chick was more than happy to sit on our PS all year in 2010, despite being the defensive player of the year in the CFL in 2009. 

8 minutes ago, SaturdayAllDay said:

Its possible but I wouldnt bet on it. Average yearly salary in CFL is around 80-100k. Entire team salary cap is only 5.15M. Minimum is set at 53k as of 2017. I know CFL players that have 2nd jobs in the offseason. They would have to be a CFL superstar out of the gate to get serious money. 

It only takes 14 weeks on an NFL PS to earn as much as the average player on a CFL roster does in a yr. Thats also assuming that the player on the PS is only making the minimum, which isnt always the case, and they never get elevated to the regular roster at all during the year. 

CFL season is longer as well (20 weeks, 18 games for regular season) so the amount per game is even lower. Thats why DE John Chick was more than happy to sit on our PS all year in 2010, despite being the defensive player of the year in the CFL in 2009. 

You're talking average, a lot of guys make double that, or more. Even if you get $100k, you're still close enough, and you stick in one place all year. I think a lot of PS guys could play in the CFL. 

John Chick went to the Colts in hopes of making the roster, not to sit on the PS. But once he's signed to an NFL contract he can't go back to the CFL until the following season. 

9 minutes ago, Superman said:

You're talking average, a lot of guys make double that, or more. Even if you get $100k, you're still close enough, and you stick in one place all year. I think a lot of PS guys could play in the CFL. 

John Chick went to the Colts in hopes of making the roster, not to sit on the PS. But once he's signed to an NFL contract he can't go back to the CFL until the following season. 

Its possible that you CAN make more, but coming straight from an NFL PS or being cut in camp, they rarely do. Remember that the average still takes into account all the inflated QB salaries (which arent much compared to NFL, but are still around 400-500k or 10% of the cap). There arent a lot of non qb players making over 150k in the CFL,  which per game is pretty much what an NFL PS player makes (would be 144k over a 20 week season). To walk onto a CFL roster and command that much money, you have to have some serious experience and/or skill. 

And yah obviously Chick wanted a shot at an actual roster spot, but was ok with the risk of not making a roster and sitting on a PS because he was looking at around the same salary. Zero risk/high reward move. As for him not being able to come back to the CFL, I dont think is true as he was cut during cutdown day and then chose to sign onto the PS. He could have chose to not sign on to any teams PS and simply gone back north. I know this because the Saskatchewan Riders signed and are currently playing players cut on nfl cutdown day this year. Jeff Knox Jr was cut from TB sept 2nd and signed to the Riders sept 11th. He played this week against Hamilton in his debut back to the CFL. 

If you are bouncing back and forth between being a free agent and a PS player on multiple squads then it might make sense to go north just for a guaranteed paycheck every week, but if you have a solid gig on a PS, or if you are bouncing around between the active roster and PS (even on multiple teams), then you are doing much better than you would be doing in the CFL. 

1 hour ago, SaturdayAllDay said:

If you are bouncing back and forth between being a free agent and a PS player on multiple squads then it might make sense to go north just for a guaranteed paycheck every week

That's the idea from the OP I was responding to. If you're a borderline 53 guy in the NFL, you're obviously better off in the NFL, even on the fringe. But if you're barely getting on a roster for a few weeks at a time, then you might get more stability in the CFL.

15 hours ago, SaturdayAllDay said:

I know im not making anywhere close to $7200/week (practice squad minimum), so its hard to feel bad for them for having to fly a lot for work. 

But are you?  $7200/week but only for 16-20 weeks per year.  Also what for at best 3-4 years and you have to put your body in harms way and you are useless at age 28.  People only see the big $$$ signs but they don't take into consideration all that comes with it.  And I haven't even mentioned how this person has dedicated their life to this sport and probably has forsaken many things just to get in that position (academics, social life, childhood free time, food, etc).

Would you risk your HS and college years social and academic time, your social life in your 20's for 7 months per year, your physical well being and your daily stability to be a PS player or deep bench guy on the 53 mna roster?  Because there isn't any fame with that.  Just asking honestly.

4 minutes ago, tikyle said:

But are you?  $7200/week but only for 16-20 weeks per year.  Also what for at best 3-4 years and you have to put your body in harms way and you are useless at age 28.  People only see the big $$$ signs but they don't take into consideration all that comes with it.  And I haven't even mentioned how this person has dedicated their life to this sport and probably has forsaken many things just to get in that position (academics, social life, childhood free time, food, etc).

Would you risk your HS and college years social and academic time, your social life in your 20's for 7 months per year, your physical well being and your daily stability to be a PS player or deep bench guy on the 53 mna roster?  Because there isn't any fame with that.  Just asking honestly.

Agree. Unless you have a Plan B to go with it, it is always a risky long term proposition.

41 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Agree. Unless you have a Plan B to go with it, it is always a risky long term proposition.

Honestly how can you have a legitimate Plan B when you've spent the better part of a decade plus trying to become a professional athlete?  If you do have a Plan B then you didn't really take becoming a pro seriously because most guys have to be all in or they won't even make it.  Only a small percentage of guys are just freakishly athletic or skillful as a Randy Moss or JJ Watt or Michael Vick.  Most guys (even the Manning's and Brady's and Freeney's and Reggie Wayne's) have to put 100% in to make it that far and those are HOFers I mentioned, so imagine your average NFLer.

5 minutes ago, tikyle said:

Honestly how can you have a legitimate Plan B when you've spent the better part of a decade plus trying to become a professional athlete?  If you do have a Plan B then you didn't really take becoming a pro seriously because most guys have to be all in or they won't even make it.  Only a small percentage of guys are just freakishly athletic or skillful as a Randy Moss or JJ Watt or Michael Vick.  Most guys (even the Manning's and Brady's and Freeney's and Reggie Wayne's) have to put 100% in to make it that far and those are HOFers I mentioned, so imagine your average NFLer.

It is possible they are an average NFL'er not because of talent but because they didn't invest everything on their talent in college and go all in. Most guys can build on their education if they find out their Plan A is not going to last long. However, there is only a small window of youth they can cash in for their Plan A as the average NFL'er or PS guy. Plan B with an education or more skills gained later might make it seem like they are behind the 8 ball to begin with but can still be resorted to after their small window of playing days, as long as their brains are in tact. Yes, it is like a reset button but it is not nearly as far fetched as them becoming an NFL superstar.

Besides, if they have any business savvy in them, it is not a "what you know" but a "who you know" world and I am sure there will be enough contacts they would make during their average NFL days, that they can tap into later.

I don't think people think about this, but you bring up a valid point. Some of these guys aren't making millions of dollars. Some of these kids coming out of college are barely 20 years old. It's like being a big fish in a small pond in elementary school, but once you enter High School, you suddenly become a small fish. These kids have families, friends and some even have children. Having too move 3-4 times within the span of a few weeks or months is a scary thing to imagine, especially when you know you could be fired at any point and may never receive another chance.

Good post though.. it's definitely something I don't think many people think about.

I remember guys being drafted and they were 10-15 years older than me. Now I'm like 7-10 years older then all of them.

So depressing.

With this though you have young guys who are chasing their dream to be on an NFL active roster.  I get that there are hardships to this, but when chasing your DREAMS you are going to face hardships.  Making millions of dollars for even the 1st round picks can be gone in a flash.  

1 hour ago, tikyle said:

Well, if the player is able to stay on the roster (PS) for 16 weeks, they would make $115,000/yr and Ill assume that comes with benefits as well. A bit more than the avg guy getting out of college unless your going to a college for a living degree versus a football degree. These guys get to make the choices of going for playing a game and hoping to make it into the NFL, so many more don't than those that do and they have to live with the choice they make. How many years do these guys have to linger on a team either PS or 53 man roster in order to qualify for a pension and health benefits? 3 maybe 5 years? I can't recall. Anyways, as with any job or life direction, you get to make the choice pretty much. 

17 hours ago, Indeee said:

I sincerely feel bad for these guys all across the league that constantly get waived, released and then brought back over and over and over again. It has to be extremely difficult to go through. Constantly catching plane flights I'm guessing, putting their other life on hold, whatever... It might be nature of the biz, but from the human side it sucks

How does player pinball actually work anyway? Do these guys get paid by the game? or what if they are inactive? 

This has honestly always boggled my mind and truthfully I feel bad for these guys.

What I wonder is where do these guys stay??  Hotels?  

If you have to pay for a hotel the entire week you are on the team that takes a bite out of your game checks.  

2 hours ago, tikyle said:

I am not making anywhere near 100k/yr, not even half that. So no im not making what they make. And no, those players wont work in the nfl as long as i will work my boring dead end job, but its not like they dont get their own normal jobs afterwards. Still means they see more money than I do in my lifetime, and they get to do what they love, if only for a few yrs. 

As for whether id try for a life in football, thats an easy answer. I did try. I was a recruited HS OL prospect in Canada. Worked my butt off to make it there and made lots of sacrifices to do so. Even got camp invitations from 4 university teams up here, despite getting hurt my SR yr of High School. Unfortunately injuries took their toll, I didnt make it very far, and 10 yrs later I still walk with a bit of a limp. Just goes to show that for every person who does make it to an NFL PS (or even a CFL PS), there are countless people who sacrifice just as much and come up short. 

31 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

If you have to pay for a hotel the entire week you are on the team that takes a bite out of your game checks.  

I would think the team would foot at least a good part of the bill. Probably similar to site work, where they have to provide lodging but they take a small % of the paycheck towards it. 

You would hope at least. Thats a very interesting question though! Im going to have to do some digging to see if I can find a definitive answer. 

54 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

CBA states 1 week of hotels to be paid by any team that signs you, and if another signs you and you have to move prematurely, then your rent/mortgage gets paid for up to 2 months at the old location (basically just to cover the notice period, if required).

Doesnt seem like a lot. But better than nothing I suppose. 

57 minutes ago, SaturdayAllDay said:

I am not making anywhere near 100k/yr, not even half that. So no im not making what they make. And no, those players wont work in the nfl as long as i will work my boring dead end job, but its not like they dont get their own normal jobs afterwards. Still means they see more money than I do in my lifetime, and they get to do what they love, if only for a few yrs. 

As for whether id try for a life in football, thats an easy answer. I did try. I was a recruited HS OL prospect in Canada. Worked my butt off to make it there and made lots of sacrifices to do so. Even got camp invitations from 4 university teams up here, despite getting hurt my SR yr of High School. Unfortunately injuries took their toll, I didnt make it very far, and 10 yrs later I still walk with a bit of a limp. Just goes to show that for every person who does make it to an NFL PS (or even a CFL PS), there are countless people who sacrifice just as much and come up short. 

You are the person I was trying to emote in writing what I did.  Even though those guys make $115K/yr for a couple of years how many years are those guys behind you professionally for the years they spent making it as far as they did?  So while you may not make half of what they make, I do think it will take them a while to get back into the groove of things in the "regular world" when they wake up and they are 25, unemployed and didn't really get much education out of college and there 2-4 year work experience doesn't translate over to any other profession.

But just like you tried and your dream was derailed in HS, imagine it getting derailed 5 years later while you missed out on whatever knowledge or job experience you got from college or working straight out of HS?  I do think most people in their minds would make that trade, but I don't think most who say they would, would actually go all the way through with it and go all in on being a pro.

6 hours ago, tikyle said:

You are the person I was trying to emote in writing what I did.  Even though those guys make $115K/yr for a couple of years how many years are those guys behind you professionally for the years they spent making it as far as they did?  So while you may not make half of what they make, I do think it will take them a while to get back into the groove of things in the "regular world" when they wake up and they are 25, unemployed and didn't really get much education out of college and there 2-4 year work experience doesn't translate over to any other profession.

But just like you tried and your dream was derailed in HS, imagine it getting derailed 5 years later while you missed out on whatever knowledge or job experience you got from college or working straight out of HS?  I do think most people in their minds would make that trade, but I don't think most who say they would, would actually go all the way through with it and go all in on being a pro.

I think the major difference when they are done (other than the money gap), is that they have the NFL helping them for that transition, both before and while it happens. They offer a mandatory information session about proper saving and investing to all rookies when they enter the league, which also covers some of the paths they can take after the game. They offer separate training programs for retired players wanting to be entrepreneurs, coaches, officials, or scouts. Even if the players chose not to do any of those, the league still has a job prep program where they sit down with the individual player and not only lay out career options for them, but get them on the right track to make it happen by helping them network and get their foot in the door. 

So with all those programs around them to help guarantee success after the game (along with a free college education in most cases), its hard to feel sorry for someone who ultimately knew what they were getting into, and had been told by countless people to be ready for it. 

I dunno about you, but id rather have a couple hundred thousand, all this help and at least 2 yrs of my college degree paid for (although very few fringe players come out for the draft that early) than 3-4 yrs of work experience and student loan debts to pay. Id say one is way more set up for success than the other. 

15 hours ago, SaturdayAllDay said:

I think the major difference when they are done (other than the money gap), is that they have the NFL helping them for that transition, both before and while it happens. They offer a mandatory information session about proper saving and investing to all rookies when they enter the league, which also covers some of the paths they can take after the game. They offer separate training programs for retired players wanting to be entrepreneurs, coaches, officials, or scouts. Even if the players chose not to do any of those, the league still has a job prep program where they sit down with the individual player and not only lay out career options for them, but get them on the right track to make it happen by helping them network and get their foot in the door. 

So with all those programs around them to help guarantee success after the game (along with a free college education in most cases), its hard to feel sorry for someone who ultimately knew what they were getting into, and had been told by countless people to be ready for it. 

I dunno about you, but id rather have a couple hundred thousand, all this help and at least 2 yrs of my college degree paid for (although very few fringe players come out for the draft that early) than 3-4 yrs of work experience and student loan debts to pay. Id say one is way more set up for success than the other. 

Your analysis would be sound and valid if they actually had adequate time to take advantage of that "free" (more like indentured servitude) college they received.  You can give me all the seminars and symposiums you want but if I don't have the basic foundation to properly exercise those options, what truly do I have?

How can you give me "job prep" when the only "job" I've had since 6 years old was playing football?  How many 22 year old are going to take a savings class and properly manage there money that may or may not last 2 years.  And even if they do, after 2 years of "service" how much can they really save if they are making let's say $150K per year but are being taxed and agent fees and such at a 50% rate?  So you take home $75K/year (that's a lot don't get me wrong) as a 25 year old or younger.  How much can you save of that?  And even if you save a whopping 50% of that for three years, your first career is over and you have a savings of $110K let's say.  How long will that last you while you embark on your 2nd career?

It's just like most people who win the lottery.  The Powerball ones for 100's of millions and the one's that are "only" $20M or less.  A large majority of those people end up broke.  Us "regular folks" can't fathom how you blow all of that money but until you are put in that situation and mixed with the pyschology of people who perpetually play the lottery to begin with, that is what you end up with.

It's very easy to envy those who have what we don't.  But are we truly willing to give up what those people gave up to obtain it?  And if we are, do we truly know how doing so will make us turn out to be?

48 minutes ago, tikyle said:

Your analysis would be sound and valid if they actually had adequate time to take advantage of that "free" (more like indentured servitude) college they received.  You can give me all the seminars and symposiums you want but if I don't have the basic foundation to properly exercise those options, what truly do I have?

How can you give me "job prep" when the only "job" I've had since 6 years old was playing football?  How many 22 year old are going to take a savings class and properly manage there money that may or may not last 2 years.  And even if they do, after 2 years of "service" how much can they really save if they are making let's say $150K per year but are being taxed and agent fees and such at a 50% rate?  So you take home $75K/year (that's a lot don't get me wrong) as a 25 year old or younger.  How much can you save of that?  And even if you save a whopping 50% of that for three years, your first career is over and you have a savings of $110K let's say.  How long will that last you while you embark on your 2nd career?

It's just like most people who win the lottery.  The Powerball ones for 100's of millions and the one's that are "only" $20M or less.  A large majority of those people end up broke.  Us "regular folks" can't fathom how you blow all of that money but until you are put in that situation and mixed with the pyschology of people who perpetually play the lottery to begin with, that is what you end up with.

It's very easy to envy those who have what we don't.  But are we truly willing to give up what those people gave up to obtain it?  And if we are, do we truly know how doing so will make us turn out to be?

You are also making a pretty big assumption that football players cant get anything serious out of a college education. Just because they play football doesnt mean that cant get a degree in a field that gives them job opportunities down the road. My former HS teammate was the 1st overall pick in the 2008 CFL Draft. Injuries plagued a very short pro career, he was forced to retire and fell back on his Degree in Dentistry. I also know people who played college football while studying Engineering, Architecture,and Education. None of them made it all the way to the CFL (Let alone the NFL), and they simply went to their fall back, without some 2-3 yr transition in between that you seem to think is needed. Its not anyone else's fault that a player chooses to coast through college and get a degree in Communications (which seems to be the standard football player degree). But even then, I still think Communications has a way better job market than say an English-Poetry Degree or an Acting degree. I have never seen a serious job posting for a Poet, but in my small cities job postings right now (I live in a city of around 100k) there are 4 job postings for entry level Communications jobs that have been posted in the last week. 

Even comparing the same degree to same degree I dont see how them coming out of football makes them any different than a college student who didnt work in HS/College (and there are lots of people like that). You keep comparing them to people of the same age, saying that because of their time in the NFL they are 2-3 yrs behind. Well in a sense they are, but in a more real sense they wont even be competing against those people very often. Those 25 yr olds most likely already have jobs in their field, and with a few years of experience wont be competing for entry level jobs most of the time. If they dont have experience in their field, then they have the same qualifications as the NFL player. But most likely, they will be competing against other entry level candidates, who have the similar, if not the same credentials as them. Looking at a resume, Id hire the kid with the NFL career over the kid with 3 yrs at Walmart part time during college. 

They also have a major leg up on an average college grad because:

A-They should have some savings to help get them by in the meantime while they look for a job. As you said if they walk away with 110k, that should last you 2 years easy. If you cant finish the last yr of an unfinished degree or find a regular job in 2 yrs, then something is seriously wrong. 

B-They are given help and recommendations to help get their foot in the door. Its easier to get a job when you know the right people. The NFL programs make sure they do. 

C- They dont have 40-100K in student loan debt hanging over them, so when they are making the same as the average college grad, they are still making more. 

D- Even if they didnt get a degree, they have options. With several free vocations being offered to give them career choices, they are WAY better off than a typical college dropout (which is essentially what they are at that point). Id take a chance at a coaching career over Starbucks any day. 

This isnt even touching on the fact that they STILL have options to play football. Lots of NFL dropouts become very successful CFL, AFL or even IFL players. Sure they dont make near as much money, but they still make a decent living and get to continue doing what they love. At the end of the day its the people who choose this route who usually end up behind the ball compared to everyone else. But the people who choose this path often do it because they love the game and want to play out their dream. Cant really put a price on that. Even now, Id take the small salary to play for the IFL (which is only like $250/game) if I was physically able. You are definitely correct when you say I am envious, but my envy in NFL players has nothing to do with how much money they make. 

But at the end of the day, the most important reason why I dont feel sorry for fringe NFL players and their short career: It was their choice. They are living the dream that they set out to, know exactly what their chances were from day 1. Maybe it hasnt worked as well as they wanted, and hopefully they made a backup plan like the rest of us who didnt go the distance. If they didnt, then who can they really blame if not themselves?

On 9/18/2017 at 6:54 PM, MFT5 said:

This is so soft, the perspective as beautiful & thoughtful as it may be is appreciated but to think "this needs to be said" is over the top. This is a life they signed up for. Same as the one you chose came with some positives & negatives

I agree, so if it's the life they signed up for, then why was Trent Richardson such a basket case when Cleveland traded him? He should know it's all just business; nothing personal. Well he got his wish, and now he spends his days either on the couch or shopping at Walmart.

18 hours ago, SaturdayAllDay said:

You are also making a pretty big assumption that football players cant get anything serious out of a college education. Just because they play football doesnt mean that cant get a degree in a field that gives them job opportunities down the road. My former HS teammate was the 1st overall pick in the 2008 CFL Draft. Injuries plagued a very short pro career, he was forced to retire and fell back on his Degree in Dentistry. I also know people who played college football while studying Engineering, Architecture,and Education. None of them made it all the way to the CFL (Let alone the NFL), and they simply went to their fall back, without some 2-3 yr transition in between that you seem to think is needed. Its not anyone else's fault that a player chooses to coast through college and get a degree in Communications (which seems to be the standard football player degree). But even then, I still think Communications has a way better job market than say an English-Poetry Degree or an Acting degree. I have never seen a serious job posting for a Poet, but in my small cities job postings right now (I live in a city of around 100k) there are 4 job postings for entry level Communications jobs that have been posted in the last week. 

Even comparing the same degree to same degree I dont see how them coming out of football makes them any different than a college student who didnt work in HS/College (and there are lots of people like that). You keep comparing them to people of the same age, saying that because of their time in the NFL they are 2-3 yrs behind. Well in a sense they are, but in a more real sense they wont even be competing against those people very often. Those 25 yr olds most likely already have jobs in their field, and with a few years of experience wont be competing for entry level jobs most of the time. If they dont have experience in their field, then they have the same qualifications as the NFL player. But most likely, they will be competing against other entry level candidates, who have the similar, if not the same credentials as them. Looking at a resume, Id hire the kid with the NFL career over the kid with 3 yrs at Walmart part time during college. 

They also have a major leg up on an average college grad because:

A-They should have some savings to help get them by in the meantime while they look for a job. As you said if they walk away with 110k, that should last you 2 years easy. If you cant finish the last yr of an unfinished degree or find a regular job in 2 yrs, then something is seriously wrong. 

B-They are given help and recommendations to help get their foot in the door. Its easier to get a job when you know the right people. The NFL programs make sure they do. 

C- They dont have 40-100K in student loan debt hanging over them, so when they are making the same as the average college grad, they are still making more. 

D- Even if they didnt get a degree, they have options. With several free vocations being offered to give them career choices, they are WAY better off than a typical college dropout (which is essentially what they are at that point). Id take a chance at a coaching career over Starbucks any day. 

This isnt even touching on the fact that they STILL have options to play football. Lots of NFL dropouts become very successful CFL, AFL or even IFL players. Sure they dont make near as much money, but they still make a decent living and get to continue doing what they love. At the end of the day its the people who choose this route who usually end up behind the ball compared to everyone else. But the people who choose this path often do it because they love the game and want to play out their dream. Cant really put a price on that. Even now, Id take the small salary to play for the IFL (which is only like $250/game) if I was physically able. You are definitely correct when you say I am envious, but my envy in NFL players has nothing to do with how much money they make. 

But at the end of the day, the most important reason why I dont feel sorry for fringe NFL players and their short career: It was their choice. They are living the dream that they set out to, know exactly what their chances were from day 1. Maybe it hasnt worked as well as they wanted, and hopefully they made a backup plan like the rest of us who didnt go the distance. If they didnt, then who can they really blame if not themselves?

Kudos.  You are definitely not the average fan.  You are like my brother-in-law who played D-1 college ball and didn't make the NFL but worked full time and made good money but on his weekends played semi-pro ball for like $200/game or something like that.  The average fan posting on here would never even consider football or any other physical sport for that.

The only thing I differ with you on is those guys who go all in on playing pro ball, most can't do that in college AND get much out of their classes.  I was working 30 hrs/week in undergrad (Electrical Engineering major) at CompUSA and I had to quit after a few months because I couldn't maintain a 3.0 GPA and work.  And that was only 30 hrs/wk, imagine how much time a football player is "working" per week to maintain his scholarship, roster spot and position on the team?  You can play ball and get a degree.  No doubt, but I don't think you can give your all to playing ball and developing physically while maintaining a decent GPA and getting a degree.  Most 18-24 year olds just don't have the discipline, time management skills and focus to pull of that gargantuan task.