Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

OL

NDcolt

I didn't think they were all that bad. Scott had multiple occasions where he could stand in the pocket and deliver the pass. But after you allow yourself to get down by so many points you have to play one handed football which increases the amount of times you have to drop back and protect the QB. Eventually there will be some sacks given up when that happens. A better offensive performance particularly by the QB I think would have given us a different result.

Haeg was not injured but lost his starting spot.

Bond played pretty well as did majority of the line.  Tolzein needed to throw it quicker in a lot of instances.

Now I get it, it's the RAMS.  They just happen to have a very solid D that many apparently over look though.  Our o-line was not great and still needs more for sure, but saying they were terrible going up against a solid front 7 is a bad comparison.  They did not have Aaron Donald, and that would of made it worse but they still have very, VERY good players.

The Offensive line is in shambles. One of these days we might actually address this problem. Hopefully Ballard will do so next year.  We have two pieces Kelley and AC who is a RIGHT TACKLE.  We need to get at least 2 lineman next year who can play. We need a LEFT TACKLE and a Guard and hope that someone from the present team can play the other guard position.  Mewhort's knee must still be bad because he has zero ability to hold the line. 

Yes, as soon as Luck is ready put him in behind that line.  The oline was not the problem yesterday, through the 1st 3 quarters Tolzien had a clean pocket, they were opening running lanes for Gore.  If the Colts had had a semi competent QB in there who could throw an 8-12 yard out route and extended a few drives, things would have been a lot different.

1 hour ago, krunk said:

I didn't think they were all that bad. Scott had multiple occasions where he could stand in the pocket and deliver the pass. But after you allow yourself to get down by so many points you have to play one handed football which increases the amount of times you have to drop back and protect the QB. Eventually there will be some sacks given up when that happens. A better offensive performance particularly by the QB I think would have given us a different result.

3 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

Yes, as soon as Luck is ready put him in behind that line.  The oline was not the problem yesterday, through the 1st 3 quarters Tolzien had a clean pocket, they were opening running lanes for Gore.  If the Colts had had a semi competent QB in there who could throw an 8-12 yard out route and extended a few drives, things would have been a lot different.

^These two get it.  Everyone else, just breathe and stop the panic.

But I do want to know what happened to Mewhort?  Was he injured or on a snap count?

9 minutes ago, King Colt said:

Tolzien was sacked four times and hit nine times. Now does anyone in their right mind want to put Luck in? Both Irsay and Pagano are quoted in the Indy Star as saying the OL is fixed!! 

You're being dramatic.   Do you really think Luck would have went O-10 on 3rd downs for an entire game like Tolzien did?  Not only that but throwing 2 pick sixes and all the other bad stuff.   The QB play had much to do with what happened out there.  Of course your QB is going to get hit if all you can do is pass the football because you're down by double digits for most of the football game.

1 minute ago, krunk said:

You're being dramatic.   Do you really think Luck would have went O-10 on 3rd downs for an entire game like Tolzien did?  Not only that but throwing 2 pick sixes and all the other bad stuff.   The QB play had much to do with what happened out there.  Of course your QB is going to get hit if all you can do is pass the football because you're down by double digits for most of the football game.

How did Luck's shoulder get injured? What has been the #1 critical issue since Luck came in? Wake up and face the facts.

2 minutes ago, MB-ColtsFan said:

But I do want to know what happened to Mewhort?  Was he injured or on a snap count?

I didn't notice when or if Mewhort went out.   I saw him out there and I thought the right side looked fine.  Especially Denzelle Good.  There were a couple issues on the left side at times with Costanzo and I think one or two plays I believe I saw Vujnovich get beat.

Just now, MB-ColtsFan said:

I don't think they said other they that he was out and then back in a couple of times.  If I were a guessing man, I would say he was on the sideline getting some pain treatment and when the pain went away he came back in.

3 minutes ago, King Colt said:

How did Luck's shoulder get injured? What has been the #1 critical issue since Luck came in? Wake up and face the facts.

You can get your shoulder hurt or your back hurt behind any line.   Ask Tony Romo.  Very easy to sit up scream fix the O line reading a stat line.   But you know damn well what happened out there with our train wreck quarterback so don't sit up and act like the Rams were on a jail break the entire game.    The QB play was a big factor in the outcome.

1 minute ago, krunk said:

You can get your shoulder hurt or your back hurt behind any line.   Ask Tony Romo, very easy to sit up scream fix the O line reading a stat line.   But you know damn well what happened out there with our train wreck quarterback so don't sit up and act like the Rams were on a jail break the entire game.     

Yeah, yeah. Now answer my questions.

3 minutes ago, krunk said:

I didn't notice when or if Mewhort went out.   I saw him out there and I thought the right side looked fine.  Especially Denzelle Good.  There were a couple issues on the left side at times with Costanzo and I think one or two plays I believe I saw Vujnovich get beat.

I was actually pretty impressed with the whole line in the 1st halt, taking into consideration they were down by 10 less than 4 minutes into the game.  A number of times I saw a clean pocket for Tolz to throw from.  A quality QB could have done a much better job with the time he had to throw.  It ain't as bad as folks are painting it to be.

3 minutes ago, krunk said:

You mean your loaded questions that have zip to do with what happened yesterday?

Then the issue of a pathetic OL with a pathetic showing yesterday like the previous pathetic years is a mute point ? You should join the Colts coaching staff. You would fit right in.

34 minutes ago, DaColts85 said:

Bond played pretty well as did majority of the line.  Tolzein needed to throw it quicker in a lot of instances.

Now I get it, it's the RAMS.  They just happen to have a very solid D that many apparently over look though.  Our o-line was not great and still needs more for sure, but saying they were terrible going up against a solid front 7 is a bad comparison.  They did not have Aaron Donald, and that would of made it worse but they still have very, VERY good players.

I agree.  They did well until we fell way behind and had to throw all the time.  Good looked great and Bond held his own for a rookie.  I don't see doom and gloom here.  Especially when Kelly returns. 

1 minute ago, King Colt said:

Then the issue of a pathetic OL with a pathetic showing yesterday like the previous pathetic years is a mute point ? You should join the Colts coaching staff. You would fit right in.

Is the offensive line fixed...No!  Ballard has stated he will always look for better talent.  Bond, an UDFA, played Center and not Kelly.  Kelly will add a lot to this line.  Did they play as bad as you want to claim yesterday...No!  Tolzein was the issue on some plays.  And guess what....the Rams have a good line and some times with competition things do not go your way. The best lines in football allow sacks.  If your QB is hurting you then the o-line can look worse.

When did Luck hurt his shoulder?

Oh and when Luck was out of the pocket and running, taking those hits, and got hurt....what about that??

16 minutes ago, King Colt said:

I will answer your question... Luck's shoulder got injured making a tackle after he threw an INT.

The #1 critical issue since Luck came in has been the defense.

#2 has been Luck holding onto the ball too long

#3 has been the oline.

Just now, richard pallo said:

I agree.  They did well until we fell way behind and had to throw all the time.  Good looked great and Bond held his own for a rookie.  I don't see doom and gloom here.  Especially when Kelly returns. 

Yea coming out of halftime the Rams had all rushers ready to go.  They had little to worry about being up like that and Tolzein showed he was not to capable.

And I stand corrected on Tolzein!  I will publicly apologize and say that he was beyond terrible yesterday.  I thought he might be serviceable but wow!  I hope we make a change and let Brisset take snaps all week. 

43 minutes ago, DaColts85 said:

Which is bogus they must have started that other guy Vujnovich he is terrible Haeg could do so much better. And why they still think Good is worth a crap I don't know.

6 minutes ago, DaColts85 said:

Is the offensive line fixed...No!  Ballard has stated he will always look for better talent.  Bond, an UDFA, played Center and not Kelly.  Kelly will add a lot to this line.  Did they play as bad as you want to claim yesterday...No!  Tolzein was the issue on some plays.  And guess what....the Rams have a good line and some times with competition things do not go your way. The best lines in football allow sacks.  If your QB is hurting you then the o-line can look worse.

When did Luck hurt his shoulder?

Oh and when Luck was out of the pocket and running, taking those hits, and got hurt....what about that??

Why was luck running around oh yeah that is right cause the o-line sucks.

2 minutes ago, jameszeigler834 said:

Which is bogus they must have started that other guy Vujnovich he is terrible Haeg could do so much better. And why they still think Good is worth a crap I don't know.

Good protected well yesterday.  The least of the problems.

To be fair, it looked pretty much like bland status quo on the OC ... deep drops waiting for time consuming routes to come open.  The horrifically bad OC game planning / play calling largely hangs the OL out to dry.

If I am owner, I give this mess four games to right itself.  If it's more of the same during that time, then I make an immediate change and those retained know they are coaching for their employment lives.  If things partially right themselves, then I wait for the end of the season, then fire the HC and begin the search for a competent coach / coaching staff.

7 minutes ago, jameszeigler834 said:

1 minute ago, jameszeigler834 said:

Ok well that Vujnovich guy is an awful excuse for an NFL lineman.

You're right.  No other OLine in the NFL ha ever had their QB running away from pressure - or only the ones with sucky O-ines.  All of those other QB's that DID run away from pressure got hurt.  Must be a fact because that's how you're painting it.

Just stop the drama, please.

8 minutes ago, jameszeigler834 said:

Nope...not to accurate.  There were plenty of times where he looked at his first and maybe second read but saw the MLB get pulled to one side.  So the middle was open and he ran.  Also, when close to the end zone he would run when he saw a small opening.  He is a play-maker who wants to get every yard possible.

There are occasions where the pocket folds and he runs, but that is not the whole story.

2 hours ago, Coffeedrinker said:

The oline was not the problem yesterday... they were opening running lanes for Gore. 

yeah...beg to differ.  Gore is exceptional at finding creases where other backs can't.  that ability is putting blinders on the fans.  Mack was 9 carries for 0 yards outside of his 4th qtr run.  They are not opening the type of running lanes that would justify anyone calling them a good line.  They just aren't.  Missing Kelly is a big issue, but right now, not impressed. Now, once the game got out of control, its just too much to ask the line to protect the QB.  The defense knows what's coming and they stop playing the run.  

1 minute ago, A8bil said:

yeah...beg to differ.  Gore is exceptional at finding creases where other backs can't.  that ability is putting blinders on the fans.  Mack was 9 carries for 0 yards outside of his 4th qtr run.  They are not opening the type of running lanes that would justify them being a good line.  They just aren't.   Now, once the game got out of control, its just too much to ask the line to protect the QB.  The defense knows what's coming and they stop playing the run.

That's nice.

3 hours ago, MB-ColtsFan said:

You're right.  No other OLine in the NFL ha ever had their QB running away from pressure - or only the ones with sucky O-ines.  All of those other QB's that DID run away from pressure got hurt.  Must be a fact because that's how you're painting it.

Just stop the drama, please.

Its not drama it the fact thank you.